Jump to content
Neddy's Girl

Help clear something up for a non-watcher please?

Recommended Posts

Whilst you're waiting for the next episode...

I understand why some people think Dany's reaction to Jon's parentage is not a very natural way for someone to behave under the circumstances, but she would obviously see him as a threat, since the show has gone to pains to make him a legitimate contender for the Iron Throne with the annulment storyline.

So my question is this:

Why does this even matter?

Is the Iron Throne the end game?  Shouldn't there be more to it than who sits it?  I always thought that Jon's genes were what would enable him to fulfil whatever prophecy, or give him special powers, or whatever.  Like, I don't only worry about inheriting my papa's high cholesterol once my parents get married!  And this is without the fact that the show (and books) have already established that the throne can be taken by conquest (although, yes, Robert did have the best claim through lineage).

Sorry if this has been brought up a bunch of times, but I genuinely want to know why people think Jon being king is more important than him being the second coming (or whatever).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The show mentions the "prince who was promised" prophecy, but mostly through the Red Witch, who is unreliable. Jon rose from the dead, of course, but no one thinks of him as Westerosi Jesus. And Danny hasn't re river the goddess treatment since she came West. 

Only two characters knew about Jon's lineage at first: Sam and Bran. We don't know why Bran cared. Sam cares because Jon is his BFF and he thinks he'd make a just king. 

Now two more people know, and obviously Jon cares more about the Night King than being a Targaryen. Danny cared only about the line of succession in that conversation, but they were interrupted by the arrival of the Army of the Dead. 

That takes precedence. There will be drama over who is the rightful heir, but I think we all know the Living vs. the Dead storyline is more important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, darmody said:

That takes precedence. There will be drama over who is the rightful heir, but I think we all know the Living vs. the Dead storyline is more important. 

Do you think this will be the case for the books too?  The show writers and book theorists seem to do mental gymnastics to make Jon legitimate, when I just feel there is no need.  I feel his blood, not his name, is why he is important.  And there are other contenders for the Iron to bring about that conflict.  Or is show Jon supposed to be merged with book Aegon VI to make it more dramatic that he is fighting his girlfriend?  (For the record, I really hope they don't get together in the books.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Do you think this will be the case for the books too?  The show writers and book theorists seem to do mental gymnastics to make Jon legitimate, when I just feel there is no need.  I feel his blood, not his name, is why he is important.  And there are other contenders for the Iron to bring about that conflict.  Or is show Jon supposed to be merged with book Aegon VI to make it more dramatic that he is fighting his girlfriend?  (For the record, I really hope they don't get together in the books.)

I have no idea about the books. As for the show, I think they're setting it up so that either Jon will die or he'll marry Danny, or both. And I think there will be a kid, but I'm not sure. 

In any case, that would solve the issue of succession, at least partly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Whilst you're waiting for the next episode...

I understand why some people think Dany's reaction to Jon's parentage is not a very natural way for someone to behave under the circumstances, but she would obviously see him as a threat, since the show has gone to pains to make him a legitimate contender for the Iron Throne with the annulment storyline.

So my question is this:

Why does this even matter?

Is the Iron Throne the end game?  Shouldn't there be more to it than who sits it?  I always thought that Jon's genes were what would enable him to fulfil whatever prophecy, or give him special powers, or whatever.  Like, I don't only worry about inheriting my papa's high cholesterol once my parents get married!  And this is without the fact that the show (and books) have already established that the throne can be taken by conquest (although, yes, Robert did have the best claim through lineage).

Sorry if this has been brought up a bunch of times, but I genuinely want to know why people think Jon being king is more important than him being the second coming (or whatever).

I think it was done pretty much to set up a little more drama for Ep4-5. Dany's entire life (on screen since Viserys dies) has been spent trying to get herself to the Iron Throne. Everything she has done has been because she believes she is the heir, it's hers by right and now she has someone who maybe is the actual heir and she isn't. Her whole life she has believed something to be true and dedicated herself to it only to have this information dropped in her lap. So, this basically gives her character a reason to have drama between her and the person she loves and we will see whether she would set aside her drive for the crown. It could also tie into some prophecies and such but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I think it was done pretty much to set up a little more drama for Ep4-5. Dany's entire life (on screen since Viserys dies) has been spent trying to get herself to the Iron Throne. Everything she has done has been because she believes she is the heir, it's hers by right and now she has someone who maybe is the actual heir and she isn't. Her whole life she has believed something to be true and dedicated herself to it only to have this information dropped in her lap. So, this basically gives her character a reason to have drama between her and the person she loves and we will see whether she would set aside her drive for the crown. It could also tie into some prophecies and such but who knows.

Thank you.  That makes sense for the show I guess.  I'm hoping Aegon plays that part in the novels so that it frees Jon up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×