There must always be a Stark in Winterfell

FullingimL

since this is repeated so many times in the book, it’s somehow important to fighting the WW, NK, etc. 

what if the dead in the crypts rise and there has to be a living Stark to lead them in the defense of the living? 

If there isnt a Stark they follow the NK instead. 

It is a saying now, but it must have had some meaning long ago that was forgotten. I've always thought that the walls of Winterfell have the same magic in it than the Wall against the WWs, but it only works if there is a Stark in Winterfell. Or it has to do with the stone statues in the crypts. (at least in the books. I doubt it matters in the show.)

25 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

I would like to know where that saying comes from. 

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell because they are the voice of the north. In charge of the justice of and settle the arguments of. Starks are stubbornly honorable, even Bran at age 10/7 ( Show/book) has the say in matters of dispute.

More importantly, There must always be a Stark in Winterfell because it needs to always be of importance. They must always make the north the priority. Winter is coming. Takes more preparation and attention than anything else. Winter is coming.

Just now, SansaJonRule said:

But once Sansa and Arya marry or die, there will no longer be a Stark in Winterfell, going by the patriarchal rules of Westeros. So what does that signify?

Incorrect, if the sole heir is female, she can marry and the person can agree to take her House name.

8 minutes ago, longest night said:

Incorrect, if the sole heir is female, she can marry and the person can agree to take her House name.

Really? That must be spelled out it the books. I'm pretty sure it's never said in the show. At any rate, I stand corrected, and happy to be wrong!

On 4/28/2019 at 9:33 PM, Arya Targaryen said:

t is a saying now, but it must have had some meaning long ago that was forgotten.

I don't think that there "must" be a hidding meaning behind this saying. It could be, yes, but maybe the sentence is as meaningless as "A Lannister always pays his debts."

Of course you can interpret everything into it, but in the end there are simply no hard facts to proof anything.

I mean, in the books and show we had the Azor Ahai and Prince That Was Promised prohecies and in the end Arya brought the new Long Night to an end by killing the Night King, not Dany or Jon, who were the obvious candidates to be Azor Ahai or the Prince That Was Promised (at least in the show). So these prophecies meant next to nothing.

Archived