Discussing Sansa XXXVI: Long Night

Mladen

13 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I was hoping for a call back to the Blackwater where Sansa leads by calming the people. She had a dagger but didn't use it or give it to someone else to. All the fight drained out of her and I wish that had been different.

I agree.

This really, really annoyed me.

I keep thinking back to Blackwater, that great contrast between Cersei and Sansa entertaining the civilians while a battle that could end with all of them dead raged on outside. I remember it more vividly in the books, but even in the show we saw Sansa make an honest attempt to do her lordly duty and keep the people sane. If I am ever a queen, I'll make them love me.

Why didn't we see any of that here? Sansa moaning that she's useless felt like such a disservice to the character, so petulant and apathetic. It would've been so much better to see her keep order and calm her people down in those crypts.

2 minutes ago, Jamie Lannister said:

Why didn't we see any of that here? Sansa moaning that she's useless felt like such a disservice to the character, so petulant and apathetic. It would've been so much better to see her keep order and calm her people down in those crypts.

Because D&D are writing her. Not GRRM. Or even Cogman. Last week's Sansa is the best you will have gotten this Season.

And last week was a perfect lead in to a repeat Blackwater performance from Sansa. She was sitting outside in the cold at night with the soldiers and smallfolk. Perfect setup. But D&D have always found Sansa whiny and useless so she's whiny and useless. She's not masculine coded, doesn't kill a lot, not a sexpot, not a sassy Tyrell...ergo useless to D&D. Her biggest sin the rejection of Tyrion of course which is why she has to suck his you know what every freaking episode. But D&D want to be as opposite of GRRM as possible with their fanfic so you get the opposite of Blackwater.

1 minute ago, Mystical said:

Because D&D are writing her. Not GRRM. Or even Cogman. Last week's Sansa is the best you will have gotten this Season.

And last week was a perfect lead in to a repeat Blackwater performance from Sansa. She was sitting outside in the cold at night with the soldiers and smallfolk. Perfect setup. But D&D have always found Sansa whiny and useless so she's whiny and useless. She's not masculine coded, doesn't kill a lot, not a sexpot, not a sassy Tyrell...ergo useless to D&D. Her biggest sin the rejection of Tyrion of course which is why she has to suck his you know what every freaking episode. But D&D want to be as opposite of GRRM as possible with their fanfic so you get the opposite of Blackwater.

D&D's portrayal of Sansa is absolutely criminal. Ugh.

40 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I was hoping for a call back to the Blackwater where Sansa leads by calming the people. She had a dagger but didn't use it or give it to someone else to. All the fight drained out of her and I wish that had been different.

Same. When I saw her walking down into the crypt there was no doubt in my mind that they were going to create a scene to parallel Cersei's behavior during the Blackwater siege. It was really a missed opportunity for Sansa's character with her only saying that they're useless. 

3 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Always has been. The best Sansa in the show was the one in GRRM's episodes. Shocker. Not.

D&D always have completely missed the point GRRM has made about Sansa and her character. Every time. They don't understand quiet strength and her entire character arc.

They had to make her a snarky goth domiatrix-looking HBIC and only then was she considered 'cool' or whatever. 

This episode really showed just how little agency Sansa has on her own, at the end of the day she's still just the little girl who dreams are bigger than her reach.

They emphasized again that even though she is surrounded by death and all her people and family could be dead for all she knew, she is still obsessed with power, and her inferiority complex to Dany in that convo with Tyrion. I'm glad Missandei called her out on that.

31 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I'm not saying Sansa is a coward, but she really fell short of what they have built her up to be, IMO.

I do wish she'd shown more strength when sitting with the other non-combatants, instead of just waiting around to be killed.  I thought that Jon commanded that all women be taught to defend themselves; wouldn't that have included Sansa?  She told Arya she didn't know how to use a dagger. 

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

This episode really showed just how little agency Sansa has on her own, at the end of the day she's still just the little girl who dreams are bigger than her reach.

They emphasized again that even though she is surrounded by death and all her people and family could be dead for all she knew, she is still obsessed with power, and her inferiority complex to Dany in that convo with Tyrion. I'm glad Missandei called her out on that.

She's only ever said that she and the North wanted independence; which isn't a power-obsession or an attack on Dany.  Sansa and Tyrion are on opposite sides as far as allegiance to Daenerys goes, at least for now.

1 hour ago, Pandean said:

I wish the previews would do more w/ Sansa than just showing her....staring at something. 

That being said I wasn't super scared that Sansa would die in the battle against the undead. I'm more concerned the Dragon Queen will kill her.

dragon queen kill her? if she did that she would a start war big time.

14 minutes ago, Pandean said:

They had to make her a snarky goth domiatrix-looking HBIC and only then was she considered 'cool' or whatever. 

You forgot to add 'Tyrion fangirl'.

It's hilarious how different the opinions of that crypt scene were. Half of the audience thinks her and Tyrion were going to commit suicide, the other half thinks they were going to kiss. Last week Sansa shared a nice silent moment eating with Theon and suddenly it's all 'OMG I SHIP IT' because look at them mooning at each other. This week it's Tyrion. Jesus Christ I feel like vomiting. So now that Theon is dead, Sansa can't get with him. But hey Tyrion looks like a good candidate now. :ack::bang:

1 minute ago, Mystical said:

You forgot to add 'Tyrion fangirl'.

It's hilarious how different the opinions of that crypt scene were. Half of the audience thinks her and Tyrion were going to commit suicide, the other half thinks they were going to kiss. Last week Sansa shared a nice silent moment eating with Theon and suddenly it's all 'OMG I SHIP IT' because look at them mooning at each other. This week it's Tyrion. Jesus Christ I feel like vomiting. So now that Theon is dead, Sansa can't get with him. But hey Tyrion looks like a good candidate now. :ack::bang:

O yeah. Can't go one moment without sucking Tyrion's dick because he's so so smart. 

Honestly. I can't say much re: ships because I have a million and a half Sansa ships and none of them make a lick of sense and none of them will happen, I just like the character combos.

Re: the knife thing, I didn't think Sansa and Tyrion were gonna commit suicide at all. I thought she just took it out like "Okay, well, I've got a weapon at least." or something.

Sansa has been nothing but an impediment this whole season, her feud with Dany is so freakin' useless its not even funny, neither is her continued lust for ruling the North. I'm glad the audience and the show ( through Missandei) is finally calling her out on it. I 'm so happy Dany and Jon leave Winterfell and we don't have to deal with Sansa's ungrateful ass again.

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Sansa has been nothing but an impediment this whole season, her feud with Dany is so freakin' useless its not even funny, neither is her continued lust for ruling the North. I'm glad the audience and the show ( through Missandei) is finally calling her out on it. I 'm so happy Dany and Jon leave Winterfell and we don't have to deal with Sansa's ungrateful ass again.

Jon is still Warden and she is his sister/cousin. He’s stuck with Sansa. 

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

dany is very fake. i think tyrion should just stay in the north. 

1 minute ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Jon is still Warden and she is his sister/cousin. He’s stuck with Sansa. 

Not if he's not in Winterfell for the overwhelming part of the last 3 episodes. Our two main characters won't have to deal with her BS anymore, good riddance I say.

2 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Sansa has been nothing but an impediment this whole season, her feud with Dany is so freakin' useless its not even funny,

By being the ONLY ONE who thinks of an after? Yeah that's completely useless. NOT. And it goes both ways but I don't expect a Dany stan or Sansa hater to get that. It's fine if Dany is all 'bend the knee or die' or threatening Sansa twice in the first episode because she didn't lick Dany's ass. It's also fine that Dany doesn't even think about meeting Sansa, not even half way, but a little. Because a solution has to come from both of them and that can't be achieved by being rigid in your position. Something they both are btw. Funny however how only Sansa is a problem for you.

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I 'm so happy Dany and Jon leave Winterfell and we don't have to deal with Sansa's ungrateful ass again.

They should be dead. Same with Tyrion. There has to be justice for the dead. Dany/Jon/Tyrion are the ones responsible for the wight hunt which brought the wall down. And Sansa and everyone should be grateful that their complete idiocy lead to all this death? LMFAO.

Just now, D-Shiznit said:

Not if he's not in Winterfell for the overwhelming part of the last 3 episodes. Our two main characters won't have to deal with her BS anymore, good riddance I say.

Unless he takes one of the other castles. He lives in Winterfell. I think Bear Islands would be a good spot for Jon of the Wars. He already has longclaw. 

Archived