Discussing Sansa XXXVI: Long Night

Mladen

3 minutes ago, Mystical said:

When have they told you Sansa is the smartest person on the planet? I only remember Arya saying Sansa is the smartest person SHE ever met. And Arya has a few screws lose so her opinion is probably skewed anyway. So I must have missed Sansa being referenced by a character as the smartest person on the planet. Can you give that quote?

Also I'm 99% sure Arya saying Sansa was the smartest person she ever met was a throwback to Sansa saying Arya was the strongest person she knows literally in the episode prior.

It was a supportive sister thing. Not Arya claiming Sansa was smarter than the entire world.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Well, Arya has 'met' all the smartest people in Westeros, certainly, if Sansa is smarter than Tywin Lannister who Arya knew well she has to be the smartest person in Westeros, she's smarter than everyone in Braavos including the death cult master assassins, so that would seem to make her definitively the smartest person in Westeros, and probably Essos, but maybe somewhere there is someone smarter than her in Essos who Arya didn't mean.  LMAO.

Nah. Arya has brain damage, just like most characters on this show. The Ned/archery story from last Season that was not true is proof enough of that. She probably remembers Tywin as a blubbering fool.

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Come on. If you are in a cript and dead start waking the first thing to do is kill them before they get out of the tombs.

Then anyone with a brain would organize some kind of defensive line instead of having everyone hide so that they can be killed 1 by 1.

Gee if only there was someone in the crypts with them all who was in an actual battle before. And not only that but lead a battle. Mmmmm. I think the name rhymes with Syrion or something.

1 minute ago, Mystical said:

Gee if only there was someone in the crypts with them all who was in an actual battle before. And not only that but lead a battle. Mmmmm. I think the name rhymes with Syrion or something.

just saying that all that brainpower in the crypts should have clearly ralied the people there so that they had better chances of survival...

It would have been cool if Sansa gave a pre-talk to people to escape the crypt when the worst comes via the exit that Bran, Rickon and Osha used to escape Theon during the Sack of Winterfell. It would have made sense with Sansa's character arc. Not a fighter but smart enough to think of a way out to survive and caring about her people as a good ruler should do. Pity that Bran forgot to tell that little detail, or more likely D & D did.

The show ruined her character since Season 5 so no surprise there.

4 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

To me it's clear that Benioff and Weiss don't like Sansa as a character.  They're only interested in characters that are "kickass".

And they can't possibly fathom that one can be 'kickass' and not be hyper masculine and reject femininity and/or wield sex as a weapon.

It's clear what they think about women and 'gal power' in general as soon as season 5 hit and we saw the Sand Snakes.

1 minute ago, shameeka said:

True story: I was in rehab during Season 5 and managed to watch it because I was allowed my computer from 5-10. Seeing that rape scene gave me a panic attack and made me relapse WHILE in rehab. Do you know how hard that is?

Why oh why couldn't they have just had her stay in the Vale.

2 minutes ago, divica said:

just saying that all that brainpower in the crypts should have clearly ralied the people there so that they had better chances of survival...

So why is that Sansa's fault then? Since this is the Sansa thread, your comment was clearly aimed at her. Even though she has no battle experience while someone else in that crypt did. Sansa should have done another Blackwater or hey, simply continued on from how she was last episode. But that's something we have already mentioned earlier in this thread. Did you not read that part?

3 minutes ago, shameeka said:

They've ruined her character since at least S2.

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

True story: I was in rehab during Season 5 and managed to watch it because I was allowed my computer from 5-10. Seeing that rape scene gave me a panic attack and made me relapse WHILE in rehab. Do you know how hard that is?

Why oh why couldn't they have just had her stay in the Vale.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

29 minutes ago, shameeka said:

It would have been cool if Sansa gave a pre-talk to people to escape the crypt when the worst comes via the exit that Bran, Rickon and Osha used to escape Theon during the Sack of Winterfell. It would have made sense with Sansa's character arc. Not a fighter but smart enough to think of a way out to survive and caring about her people as a good ruler should do. Pity that Bran forgot to tell that little detail, or more likely D & D did.

Except that Bran, Rickon and Osha never escaped trough the crypts. They hid in the crypts and they escaped using a side door in the walls of Winterfell.
There was no escape route in the crypts.

19 minutes ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

Except that Bran, Rickon and Osha never escaped trough the crypts. They hid in the crypts and they escaped using a side door in the walls of Winterfell.
There was no escape route in the crypts.

Had to search that bit in CoK to find out, but you're right. I stand corrected.

But still, inventing a secret exit would have been far better imo than have Sansa doing... I don't know what she did. Isn't the crypt supposed to be huge? The Wiki said that the tomb has an empty part for future members. At least a quick shout-out to everyone to retreat back there would have been nice. I don't think it would have changed the outcome much with dead coming to life and panic everywhere but I think those subtle things are what Sansa is about. Like Sansa consoling the ladies in the Battle of Blackwater, it has no impact whatsoever on the battle but it shows what kind of character Sansa is.

Last episode we saw Sansa keeping the gates open as long as possible to let people in. She is supposed to be a character that cares about the well being of her people, and that can be shown even in the midst of a battle. Even a useless scene like Sansa handing out blankets before the advent of Ancient Stark Walking Dead would have made a point.

20 minutes ago, shameeka said:

Had to search that bit in CoK to find out, but you're right. I stand corrected.

But still, inventing a secret exit would have been far better imo than have Sansa doing... I don't know what she did. Isn't the crypt supposed to be huge? The Wiki said that the tomb has an empty part for future members. At least a quick shout-out to everyone to retreat back there would have been nice. I don't think it would have changed the outcome much with dead coming to life and panic everywhere but I think those subtle things are what Sansa is about. Like Sansa consoling the ladies in the Battle of Blackwater, it has no impact whatsoever on the battle but it shows what kind of character Sansa is.

Last episode we saw Sansa keeping the gates open as long as possible to let people in. She is supposed to be a character that cares about the well being of her people, and that can be shown even in the midst of a battle. Even a useless scene like Sansa handing out blankets before the advent of Ancient Stark Walking Dead would have made a point.

I agree the scene between Sansa and Tyrion reminiscing about marriage should’ve been replaced with Sansa calming the people there, however minimal the effect would’ve been.  They could still have kept everything else in the crypts as it was. 

It would’ve been the perfect time for a callback and would’ve showed that what she actually learned from Cersei is how not to behave during times of distress for your people. But maybe they are going for Sansa is Cersei 2.0. She is just so inconsistent in this show, that I don’t know what we’re supposed to think of her half the time.

2 hours ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

To me it's clear that Benioff and Weiss don't like Sansa as a character.  They're only interested in characters that are "kickass".

I think they fundamentally don't understand her. They don't understand strength in femininity unless it is "spread your legs" thing. They don't understand strength that comes from kindness, caring, love. Like Gandalf said in Hobbit movie - "the little things"

That is why they transformed Sansa into a "badass lady". Sansa was always supposed to become a badass. Just not in the way they made her.

4 hours ago, Pandean said:

Everyone on Twitter is shittin on Sansa for being useless.

Ugh. 

I hate to see that, but you can hardly blame them - it's the way she was written. The show hasn't done her justice at all. (based on my book prejudices, of course)

9 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I hate to see that, but you can hardly blame them - it's the way she was written. The show hasn't done her justice at all. (based on my book prejudices, of course)

Some of the writers can do her a bit of justice. But D&D can't for the life of them.

But yeah, it's partially how she was written and how her character is misunderstood. It's so annoying.

11 hours ago, Butterwell said:

I agree the scene between Sansa and Tyrion reminiscing about marriage should’ve been replaced with Sansa calming the people there, however minimal the effect would’ve been.  They could still have kept everything else in the crypts as it was. 

It would’ve been the perfect time for a callback and would’ve showed that what she actually learned from Cersei is how not to behave during times of distress for your people. But maybe they are going for Sansa is Cersei 2.0. She is just so inconsistent in this show, that I don’t know what we’re supposed to think of her half the time.

Oh god, don't have Sansa be like Cersei. We already have one Mad Queen, we don't need another.

13 hours ago, Risto said:

I think they fundamentally don't understand her. They don't understand strength in femininity unless it is "spread your legs" thing. They don't understand strength that comes from kindness, caring, love. Like Gandalf said in Hobbit movie - "the little things"

That is why they transformed Sansa into a "badass lady". Sansa was always supposed to become a badass. Just not in the way they made her.

I agree with that, but they didn't give her a badass moment, instead she crumbles [again], she doesn't move amongst the people in the crypt offering hope, you know, "There is always hope"...instead she's hiding, ignoring her own people in favor of hiding and blabbing to Tyrion about their marriage.  That is atrocious characterization in a show that is full of character destroying moments.

Archived