Discussing Sansa XXXVI: Long Night

Mladen

The board is set... The pieces are moving. WE COME TO IT AT LAST.

Sansa Stark, Lady of Winterfell will be in Winterfell during THE greatest battle of TV. She summoned the bannermen, brought the food, confronted King Jon and Queen Daenerys and welcomed old friends.

Valar Morghulis. Yes, but Sansa is not a man. :D

Watch. Enjoy. Comment.  And let's hope Sansa survives the night (I like these threads)

I just noticed Sansa and Arya wear their hair in similar styles. With Sansa's being more elaborate/feminine and Arya's being more simplistic/masculine. But at the core they're very similar. I like that.

SHE MADE IT...

Not much to discuss except that we will find out the answer to her question "What about North?" It was sweet to see Tyrion and her together. Missandei was epic in just one line and Arya literally stole the show, in more ways than one. 

So, the Great War has ended, Lady Stark survived. Now, we move to the known enemy.

I wish the previews would do more w/ Sansa than just showing her....staring at something. 

That being said I wasn't super scared that Sansa would die in the battle against the undead. I'm more concerned the Dragon Queen will kill her.

I think the show is setting up Tyrion being interested in proposing to Sansa again:

1) When Sansa was telling him that they wouldn't work because of the divided loyalties, she was slightly smiling at him I think, so I didn't take this to be a dig at Dany; I actually thought that she was teasing Tyrion for the accusations Dany has publicly given him about his family - suggesting Dany wouldn't like Tyrion having his loyalty divided with a Stark wife.  Missandei didn't take it that way, but I did, probably because I had seen Sansa and Tyrion's relationship before.

2) When she pulled out the dagger, and had that wide eyed look, and he kissed her hand, and then led them out to gather with others: was he worried that she would kill herself, and then decide to be brave and try to give hope of escape/survival?

I don't think I like Sansa and Tyrion being married at the end, but I'm all for them having a good respectful friendship.  I wonder if the show is setting up a fake romance/rekindle marriage plot line?

1 minute ago, willowbark said:

I think the show is setting up Tyrion being interested in proposing to Sansa again:

1) When Sansa was telling him that they wouldn't work because of the divided loyalties, she was slightly smiling at him I think, so I didn't take this to be a dig at Dany; I actually thought that she was teasing Tyrion for the accusations Dany has publicly given him about his family - suggesting Dany wouldn't like Tyrion having his loyalty divided with a Stark wife.  Missandei didn't take it that way, but I did, probably because I had seen Sansa and Tyrion's relationship before.

2) When she pulled out the dagger, and had that wide eyed look, and he kissed her hand, and then led them out to gather with others: was he worried that she would kill herself, and then decide to be brave and try to give hope of escape/survival?

I don't think I like Sansa and Tyrion being married at the end, but I'm all for them having a good respectful friendship.  I wonder if the show is setting up a fake romance/rekindle marriage plot line?

Yeah I took the 'wouldn't work out' thing the same way. Not a dig at Dany but more about Tyrion's current state + maybe some teasing re: Tyrion having a not-so-subtle crush on Dany at this point.

Missandei just got kinda pissing.

Also I was terrified for a moment she might do some type of noble sacrifice thing but that would be dumb because she knows she can't fight and Sansa isn't that dumb.

I'd rather the two not marry again either but having a great friendship? No problem. They would probably be great friends if they'd been under different circumstances.

22 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I wish the previews would do more w/ Sansa than just showing her....staring at something. 

That being said I wasn't super scared that Sansa would die in the battle against the undead. I'm more concerned the Dragon Queen will kill her.

No way, not a chance. Sansa makes it out of all this for sure. 

I was hoping for a call back to the Blackwater where Sansa leads by calming the people. She had a dagger but didn't use it or give it to someone else to. All the fight drained out of her and I wish that had been different.

Just now, Wik said:

No way, not a chance. Sansa makes it out of all this for sure. 

I think she'll survive too, but Dany and Sansa definitely don't like each other and it worries me.

Not to mention she looks like she's about to cry or something in the preview for the next episode.

I worry!

Just now, Gertrude said:

I was hoping for a call back to the Blackwater where Sansa leads by calming the people. She had a dagger but didn't use it or give it to someone else to. All the fight drained out of her and I wish that had been different.

I was hoping for that too. But I uess they couldn't do singing as it would alert the dead to their presence. 

Just now, Pandean said:

I was hoping for that too. But I uess they couldn't do singing as it would alert the dead to their presence. 

Yeah, but they were talking. Sansa didn't need to sing specifically, but she basically was just down there waiting to die.

4 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I know - I think if this is in the books, GRRM would have her be the positive foil to Cersei in Blackwater.  I was just telling my partner that since they ran out of books, the show is moving forward without setting things up to be character driven, but rather for moments that they want to see/feelings they want to evoke from viewers. I don't think Sansa (or even others) in Crypts were based on their actual characterizations, but rather because the show wanted certain things/conversations to happen (people begging to come in, quickly going silent, Sansa/Tyrion interaction, etc).  

3 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I think she'll survive too, but Dany and Sansa definitely don't like each other and it worries me.

Not to mention she looks like she's about to cry or something in the preview for the next episode.

I worry!

My Theory HAD been that Dany would die during the big battle which I thought would be more drawn out, not a siege but something longer than a "wham bam thank you ma'am" type of thing that it turned out to be lol....

I just don't think her story goes anywhere. If the prophecy of not being able to reproduce is true and she is down some dragons, even if she lives, Jon (who I think will be king) has to reproduce. So he is going to have to have someone to make babies with to carry the line. 

4 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Yeah, but they were talking. Sansa didn't need to sing specifically, but she basically was just down there waiting to die.

They showed that Sansa was terrified when she saw the Dothraki disappear (or the size of the Dead army, can't remember which, it was when she and Arya were on the battlements I think).  She stepped back, as if she wanted to run, but stopped herself.  Then we saw her again with Arya and Sansa didn't want to leave the battlements to go hide in the crypts, which I thought showed some gumption.  And she and Tyrion, when in the crypts, found enough courage to grip their weapons and face what was going on in the crypts.

4 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

They showed that Sansa was terrified when she saw the Dothraki disappear (or the size of the Dead army, can't remember which, it was when she and Arya were on the battlements I think).  She stepped back, as if she wanted to run, but stopped herself.  Then we saw her again with Arya and Sansa didn't want to leave the battlements to go hide in the crypts, which I thought showed some gumption.  And she and Tyrion, when in the crypts, found enough courage to grip their weapons and face what was going on in the crypts.

I'm not saying Sansa is a coward, but she really fell short of what they have built her up to be, IMO.

Archived