[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

7 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I think Mel counts as a dea ex machina, not a deus ex machina. Or Arya does. :)

One thing I'm glad of is is that it wasn't the storybook ending of some dashing sword-wielding hero like Jon defeating the big bad guy.

That's exactly what Arya is on the show though.  It's a complete cliche.  It wouldn't have been a sword-wielding hero if it was Melisandre who killed the Night King.

Edited by bloodsteel bitterraven

12 minutes ago, Pixi Penrose said:

Stealth. And that blade was tempered in her Mothers blood and the blood of all of Westeros. 

So we should consider that Cat is Nissa Nissa?

Was this dagger used to kill Rob as well?

Edited by AndréaV

11 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Lady Stoneheart is not her mother ... She is just revenge personified.

Lady Stoneheart is still her mother.

If Lady Stoneheart is revenge personified, why would she be lurking around the Riverlands looking for Arya and/or Sansa with Robb's crown? Wouldn't she just be focused on killing Freys, Lannisters and Boltons?

15 minutes ago, willowbark said:

If NK doesn't exist in books, then there would't be a single person to kill the NK.  Maybe in books, AOTD is settled differently.  They have already said that there are some changes from book/show, while major points are still the same, and they won't tell us what those changes are. 

Or, if Rhaegar hadn't stolen Lyanna, then Brandon would marry Catelyn Tully, and Arya would not be born.  So maybe it's that.

It has to be.

Honestly, the problem of the army of the dead in the TV show (while I am satisfied) was solved way too easily. And there is a lot more to the White Walkers/the Others than what D&D cared to show. They never really explained the connection between the old gods, the Children of the Forest and the Three Eyed Raven. Nor did they explain Night King's obsession with Bran.

I'm thinking the location will be different too.

2 minutes ago, AndréaV said:

Valryan steel should be as effective as dragon fire in killing WW though, shouldn't it?

Valryan steel was created after WW were created by COTF, who were primitive in nature. WW werent expecting VS

Edit sorry i read your question wrong. Disregard.

Edited by Lady Sansador

Just now, AndréaV said:

Valryan steel should be as effective as dragon fire in killing WW though, shouldn't it?

We don't know is the answer.  Clearly in the show, no.  And I'd guess if GRRM's intention was for Arya to kill the Great Other (or first Other) whilst there were Dragons flying around, then it may well be that dragon fire can't kill an Other.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

We don't know is the answer.  Clearly in the show, no.  And I'd guess if GRRM's intention was for Arya to kill the Great Other (or first Other) whilst there were Dragons flying around, then it may well be that dragon fire can't kill an Other.

In the books, I believe fire is the only way to kill the wights too, so clearly the show has changed things.  I'm guessing the fire thing was changed because having to set every single wight on fire to kill it would make filming a battle like tonight incredibly troublesome.  

1 minute ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

By the way, what happened in the crypts?  Was it the dead Starks that were woken by the Night King?  I was confused by that.  Did anyone understand where the dead came from?

Yes it was the Starks. They punched and clawed their way through the stone tombs... Which I thought pretty impressive. Stark wights must have some special powers, otherwise the whole army of the dead would have stormed Winterfell by simply fisting through the walls...