[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

If completely a stand-alone episode, this was good action movie, but OMG I laughed through most because it just showcased d&d messed up previous seasons.

Meh, they didn't want to use Jon to fight the NK, so they had Arya do it. Actually I agreed with that choice. I'm getting battle fatigue from Jon fighting. Of course that's because they put him in every effing battle in the North since s5, including inventing ridiculous wight hunt plots, while a uch smarter George allows other characters to do that, just to avoid this battle fagitue.

And now everybody is confused about tPtwP, and AA, and the NK... Which I find even more funny (when I think what mess d&d made of it all). It's very simple. D&d chose this and this has nothing to do with the books. Heck they admitted it even: let's go fo someone else than Jon this time. The only battle hero reference and parallel Arya has so far in the books is that of Symeon Blue Eyes. There's no NK in the books. The Others weren't made by Children, but are another species and another lifeform. So, yeah, things will play out very differently.

Oh, and did anyone notice Dany throwing Jorah under the metaphorical bus? Our valiant knight, on his knees, she behind him, and then a wight gets ready to attack her from teh side, and she pulls Jorah, and then pushes him towards the wight. And now d&d say that's how Jorah wanted to go out? Hell, that dragon queen does not deserve any such devotion. She was anythign but a hero there.

1 minute ago, AndréaV said:

Yeah, I'm trying to find anything to connect her brother to "smoke and salt" but haven't figured that out yet.....

But that is the only problem with the AA prophecy. The other part of the prophecy where it says she would forget the Lightbringer sword, it could finge any number of scenes where that dagger has been used and "forged"

I'm surprised people consider prophecies to be things that must happen. We've seen prophecies be completely avoided before, I don't think there is any indication that prophecies MUST come true, just that they are a possibility. 

4 minutes ago, no_one_... said:

She didn't fit any of the professies.  It also makes the arc of Stannis, Mel, and Jon completely pointless.  Danny can still break the wheel or hers would have been ruined as well.   I don't what to say about Bran at this point, he was as useful as ghost ...   They could have had Arya do that type of kill in KL and saved the value of the early seasons' development.  

Mel was known to sometimes get her prophesies wrong,  that was the point of stannis, it was a farce imo.

Jon could still be tptwp, but i agree,  idk where his story is going. 

I still stand by the episode, for me out delivered,  i think they will give us an explanation. 

30 minutes ago, nborders said:

It’s odd that he was immune to dragon fire but was killed by dragon glass

Arguably odd, but did dragon fire ever do anything magical, or was it basically just magically generated fire?  Whereas obsidian definitely killed the Others.

28 minutes ago, willowbark said:

I agree with all of your points - I think the show just wanted the battle to look as desparate as possible, and didn't think about the fact that there is an actual line of believability that gets crossed - they were way too overwhelmed, for way too long, for me to believe that they have enought soldiers left to go after Cersei.

Well, take 10000 screamers off the table.  Not sure if a majority of the Unsullied survived or not.  Either way, got to even the odds a bit for the last few eps if Cersei has the loyalist armies plus the Golden Company.  Though i still think Strickland is holding out on the elephants.

6 minutes ago, Lady Sansador said:

I think AA and TPTWP could be two people?  Idk now... i remember last season missandi saying the translation could be either or but than that ruins my  two diff ppl theory...

Sorry, haven't read the books in awhile, can someone remind me what's the difference between the AA prophecy and the TPTWP one? Thanks!!

47 minutes ago, Greenmonsterff said:

This is a tough crowd. I loved this episode. I was on the edge of my seat and screaming at the tv through all the drama. I’m sure there are discrepancies with Martin’s books, but I don’t think I’ve ever been so invested in a tv show. Great, entertaining television. 

Yeah, I know I should feel that way, and on the surface the show is awesome, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed.

But, my wife got annoyed at my breakdown of what I didn't like, and reminded me about the Louis CK skit where he talks about people on the first ever flight with WiFi bitching when it cuts out halfway through lol

19 minutes ago, AndréaV said:

Valryan steel should be as effective as dragon fire in killing WW though, shouldn't it?

You would think so.

Dragonfire is different from normal fire.

Speaking of dragons, can we talk about how much of a BAMF Daenerys was in this episode.

I've always known that Daenerys would take up a sword and get her Xena Warrior Princess on. One of Bran's visions in his last chapter is of Daenerys executing a man with a sickle (in other words, a Dothraki arakh). What took so long?

4 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

I'm surprised people consider prophecies to be things that must happen. We've seen prophecies be completely avoided before, I don't think there is any indication that prophecies MUST come true, just that they are a possibility. 

the profecies come true in asoiaf. However they don t mean what people are expecting… But they COME TRUE! 

5 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

Books or show? In the books I really do not remember a prophecy that has already been ignored, but if you do, please remind me. The show ignores its own created plots, so I won't even get into that

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

One of Bran's visions in his last chapter is of Daenerys executing a man with a sickle (in other words, a Dothraki arakh). What took so long?

That isn't Dany in the vision... it's a vision way way back in time of the past, a very long time ago, perhaps even predating the Long Night.