[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

8 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

If completely a stand-alone episode, this was good action movie, but OMG I laughed through most because it just showcased d&d messed up previous seasons.

Meh, they didn't want to use Jon to fight the NK, so they had Arya do it. Actually I agreed with that choice. I'm getting battle fatigue from Jon fighting. Of course that's because they put him in every effing battle in the North since s5, including inventing ridiculous wight hunt plots, while a uch smarter George allows other characters to do that, just to avoid this battle fagitue.

And now everybody is confused about tPtwP, and AA, and the NK... Which I find even more funny (when I think what mess d&d made of it all). It's very simple. D&d chose this and this has nothing to do with the books. Heck they admitted it even: let's go fo someone else than Jon this time. The only battle hero reference and parallel Arya has so far in the books is that of Symeon Blue Eyes. There's no NK in the books. The Others weren't made by Children, but are another species and another lifeform. So, yeah, things will play out very differently.

Oh, and did anyone notice Dany throwing Jorah under the metaphorical bus? Our valiant knight, on his knees, she behind him, and then a wight gets ready to attack her from teh side, and she pulls Jorah, and then pushes him towards the wight. And now d&d say that's how Jorah wanted to go out? Hell, that dragon queen does not deserve any such devotion. She was anythign but a hero there.

I would much prefer that they go for arya in KL than now. I don t see any reason to give a big moment to jon in the upcoming battle in KL where all his story has been about the ww. 

And we have been told several times about how the show will mimic the books. I just don t see how it can be true at this point...

5 minutes ago, LadyFitzRandolph said:

I’m disappointed. After all this time, and endless theories and speculation, it wasn’t what I expected. It was missing depth and answers. No reason as to what the Night King’s motivation was, and why he waited 8,000 years? I don’t really know what to think. 

Yes, and does this mean winter is over and the seasons will align? 

1 minute ago, divica said:

I would much prefer that they go for arya in KL than now. I don t see any reason to give a big moment to jon in the upcoming battle in KL where all his story has been about the ww. 

And we have been told several times about how the show will mimic the books. I just don t see how it can be true at this point...

It hasn't mimicked the books for seasons. And no, in many ways it doesn't. Solely perhaps part of the the end result will be similar: who's still alive, who will carry on the name or house, what changes will they make to society that sort of stuff.

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Ok, two questions:  One

1.  Did Ghost make it?  I am not sure>

2.  Am I the only one that thought Jon was trying tame Undead Viserion at the end there?  LOLOL  The way he sprang up and just YELLED in his face reminded me of Dany taming Drogon in Daznik's Pit? 

I thought he was trying to stab it in the mouth. 

Melisandre’s magic was useless, twice. Just used to have cool moments.

Bran warging for so long should have resulted in some mind-games with the NK, sort of taunting him to emphasize that the NK would be lured to him, or at least Bran trying to warg into Viserion. Maybe that could have been how the NK was made to fall off.

Jon should have been holding off the white walkers outside with Dany and Jora and Drogon. Would have made Arya’s sneak attack believable.

5 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

I’ve been wondering about this. When the Children changed the First Man the area around the Wierwood was green. Maybe there is more to it? I’m still wanting a further explanation. Maybe I’m just being difficult. 

Edited by LadyFitzRandolph
Spelling

8 minutes ago, AndréaV said:

Yeah, I'm trying to find anything to connect her brother to "smoke and salt" but haven't figured that out yet.....

But that is the only problem with the AA prophecy. The other part of the prophecy where it says she would forget the Lightbringer sword, it could finge any number of scenes where that dagger has been used and "forged"

9 minutes ago, AndréaV said:

Sorry 4 2x quote.  If you are referring to Jon salt would be his Mom's/Ned's tears.  Not sure on the fire.  Lightbringer was forged with a blood sacrifice.   They brought up ptwp in season 7 w/Danny and Jon.    

5 minutes ago, Ilissa said:

Do you remember the theory that Bran is the Night King? Maybe he will turn to the new Night King? Otherwise, I just do not understand how the line of the White Walkers could be so meaningless.

“Meaningless”. The wildlings, nights watch, Umbers, Mormonts, the Dothraki and maybe more I’m neglecting basically no longer exist thanks in part to their advance on the seven kingdoms. That is cataclysmic. 

1 minute ago, LadyFitzRandolph said:

I’ve been wondering about this. When the Children changed the First Man the area around the Wierwoid was green. Maybe there is more to it? I’m still wanting a further explanation. Maybe I’m just being difficult. 

Maybe Bran has to contend with fire now? Jojen had a vision seasons ago with his hand on fire, saying he would know the end when it came. I don't think this was that ending, not yet anyway. 

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

It hasn't mimicked the books for seasons. And no, in many ways it doesn't. Solely perhaps part of the the end result will be similar: who's still alive, who will carry on the name or house, what changes will they make to society that sort of stuff.

But it just made so many things people have been discussing about for years completly irrelevant! 

I can t understand how fans of asoiaf could make this ep/season. The AA/ptwp is one of those things that should be respected about asoiaf when filming got...

3 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Maybe...maybe not.

Not a maybe: Bran's going back in time further and further... all the way to the time when the First Men started to execute criminals before a weirwood tree, using the greenseer knowledge whether the criminal was guilty or not.... Except CotF would never have used greenseers for such a thing, only humans would come up with that idea. 

After that the glimpses came faster and faster, till Bran was feeling lost and dizzy. He saw no more of his father, nor the girl who looked like Arya, [...] The tree itself was shrinking, growing smaller with each vision, whilst the lesser trees dwindled into saplings and vanished, only to be replaced by other trees that would dwindle and vanish in their turn. And now the lords Bran glimpsed were tall and hard, stern men in fur and chain mail. Some wore faces he remembered from the statues in the crypts, but they were gone before he could put a name to them.
Then, as he watched, a bearded man forced a captive down onto his knees before the heart tree. A white-haired woman stepped toward them through a drift of dark red leaves, a bronze sickle in her hand.
"No," said Bran, "no, don't," but they could not hear him, no more than his father had. The woman grabbed the captive by the hair, hooked the sickle round his throat, and slashed. And through the mist of centuries the broken boy could only watch as the man's feet drummed against the earth … but as his life flowed out of him in a red tide, Brandon Stark could taste the blood. (aDwD, Bran III)

The MVPs in this episode:

• Daenerys
  • Arya
  • Theon
  • Melisandre

Honorable mentions are the Mormonts Lyanna and Jorah, Grey Worm, AeJon, the Hound, Beric Dondarrion and Tyrion believe it or not.

2 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

Unlikely.

I think that's yet another plotline that's going to get dropped

I thought it was a great episode, unless you were hoping the show validates your book theories. Sorry, it was obvious that there was almost certainly a major departure. Lightbringer was never really brought up the way it was in the books, nor was Dawn. The Prince Who Was Promised wasn't really promised very much.

That said, book Arya could well be the one kills the NK with that blade because that is the blade that the assassin tried to use to kill Bran, the blade that started the war of the seven kings. It has been metaphorically but not exactly literally drenched in blood.

I was pretty sure that Arya would take out someone really important. But the whole plot line seems to be telling us she is going to give Cersei the stabby-stabby. So this is a bit of a switch. I don't think she can be taking out Cersei as well. But she can certainly be part of the operation.

The Tyrion/Sansa match up was rather interesting. They are the two people who spend most time actually thinking about ruling well. The problem as Sansa points out is that she isn't leaving Winterfell and Tyrion isn't leaving her queen because she needs him.

Just now, Jabar of House Titan said:

The MVPs in this episode:

• Daenerys
  • Arya
  • Theon
  • Melisandre

Honorable mentions are the Mormonts Lyanna and Jorah, Grey Worm, AeJon, the Hound, Beric Dondarrion and Tyrion believe it or not.

Unlikely.

I think that's yet another plotline that's going to get dropped

I was disappointed in Tyron's role this episode. I hope he plays a major part in the ending.