[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

1 hour ago, makchamp said:

I liked it as well. It was completely unexpected. Because doesn't the prophecy say AA is a male (the prince that was promised)? I'm not sure, maybe there's more to it that we don't know yet.

It is not about male/female. It is about Targaryen's blood. The prince that was promised must be Targaryen according to the prophecy.

5 minutes ago, Ilissa said:

It is not about male/female. It is about Targaryen's blood. The prince that was promised must be Targaryen according to the prophecy.

I would actually argue it is male, because the oldest record of the prophecy is from Asshai and there's no indication that in their language the word for prince is gender neutral. The High Valyrian version would be a translation itself. Rhaegar seemed to believe it's Aegon the Conqueror reborn, so male in that regard as well.

Edited by longest night

1 hour ago, AndréaV said:

I was talking about Arya being AA, not Jon.

And the dagger she used has been used before and has the blood of Cat Stark and (maybe, not sure) Rob on it

When you brought up "her brother "  thought  you were referring to Jon.  Is it her sacrifice  if she had no choice in the matter?  If she sacrificed Jon to kill the NK I would be more inclined to agree.

I prefer the 'intrigue' episodes (at least when they had GRRM's dialogue to use) to battles, but this episode certainly poured on the tension.  Had probably more pee-breaks (and refills) during this 80minutes than Avengers-Endgame and in those breaks I was pretty numb thinking about what was to come.

Still, stuff went down this ep and I still have butterflies in my stomach.

I hate 'fights in the dark' in movies/shows and probably missed some stuff (the show airs live in sunny lunchtime downunder) so will definitely watch it later in the dark with a bottle of strong liquor at my side.

For all the endless bookies complaining, has any of you ever thought GRRM has planted multiple red herrings in his books, and now your'e all butt hurt because they just got exposed as such? Hmmm? Enjoy your wait for the "books that were promised", really looks like that is yet another one of his red herrings. 

I liked the episode overall. My biggest WTF moment when when they had the Dothraki attack like they did. I mean, come on man. Even I have to admit, as a big show supporter, that was just plain stupid. All for the visual of watching the flaming swords go out. 

On it's own, this episode was intense, though towards the end it felt like they were drawing it out too much. I don't like the feeling that I'm being toyed with in a story. The moments I loved best were the close-ups with Grey Worm, especially after he puts on his helmet and you have only the burning intensity in his eyes to focus on. Great acting there.

Critically speaking though....ehh, this felt like 100% fan service, especially when you have full on Dragon-fire resistant NK mixed with Valyrian Steele allergic NK. Bran's whole story line now feels like one enormous 8 year long red-herring. What was the point of any of his journey, where people gave their lives to save his? Just to prove that Jon is a Targ? Or say weird things from time to time or get into Raven's heads? Not happy about this one bit. In fact, the whole WW story line feels a bit like one big Red-Herring, and the Song of Ice and Fire is really the Song of Fire, a bit of Ice and Cersei is the real Menace.

Arya killing the NK? On it's own, it was a cool moment, but in the bigger picture? Total Fan-service. It feels too forced and it's cheapened the stories of Jon, Dany and Bran, the three main magical characters. Jon was brought back to life from the dead (that doesn't happy to just anybody). Dany is the Unburned and hatched 3 baby dragons from petrified eggs (The too doesn't happen to just anybody). Bran is the Three-eyed Raven (Ditto). Yet none of these three magical characters are able to take down the big Magical Monster in the end, because hey, Arya is a freaking Ninja now, and wouldn't that be so cool if she busted out a sweet Ninja-style kill move on the NK?

I realize that the matter of exposing the BS of prophecies is often a plot point in and of itself in big epic stories, but in this case, they took it too far. One Red Herring can be creatively and thought provokingly do'able, but three? Where the characters have super-natural elements richly imbued in their respective story lines?  I've seen it said that Jon, Dany and Bran can still have critical roles to play in the final three eps, but doing what exactly? Taking down Cersei? Second Rate villain, Non-dragon, non-magic having Cersei?? She's supposed to be the great evil threat that these 3 magically endowed heroes are supposed to take down, and not the frozen demons and their armies of zombies? But wait...the Valancar will be the one to take Cersei down, because that prophecy is cool. Sigh. What a mess. 

Edited by Blackfyres R Legit

2 minutes ago, longest night said:

Died by lack of budget when the white walkers invaded Bran's cave.

1 minute ago, FireWinds said:

Died while they were in the underground right before Hodor.

Thank you both. I just didn't think I could go back through the last few seasons, looking for the answer.  I appreciate your help!

5 minutes ago, Hoo said:

Why was the NK after Bran?  He did a lot of damage and ultimately died to get to him.  That was never explained.

This whole build up of the NK, was just to get to Bran? Why?
Too many questions left unanswered. :(

22 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

For all the endless bookies complaining, has any of you ever thought GRRM has planted multiple red herrings in his books, and now your'e all butt hurt because they just got exposed as such? Hmmm? Enjoy your wait for the "books that were promised", really looks like that is yet another one of his red herrings. 

I liked the episode overall. My biggest WTF moment when when they had the Dothraki attack like they did. I mean, come on man. Even I have to admit, as a big show supporter, that was just plain stupid. All for the visual of watching the flaming swords go out. 

This wasn't a plot twist.  This tossed many characters' plots and development out the window along with a great deal of the lore of a variety of cultures and thier associated fantasy genre traits.   Wtf was the point of over 50% of the world building?     

The entirety of Bran and Jon's story arcs is built around the Others and fighting the Others. Jon's entire parentage is built around it, an entire war was started for Jon to exist so Rhaegar could bring in the prince that was promised. Jon had his entire story arc from joining the Night's Watch, to rising to Lord Commander, to king in the North... All to defeat the Others.

All of it was all thrown out the window to a character that had no relation, had no idea what the threat was.