[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

2 hours ago, nara said:

I assume it’s because the outside walls are too thick to punch through but the inside walls are thinner.

Ok, my comment was with sarcasm... But I did find it funny how they just punched through solid stone like that, considering that in the previous season they managed to carry a wight all the way from beyond the Wall to KL in a damn crate...

Edited by Aderyn

45 minutes ago, SerJimmyJangle said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I find that more believable and realistic a motivation than some prophecy.

Sure. But unless you ask Robert Rhaegar has quite a fine reputation. Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought valiantly and Rhaegar died. Not Raegar abandoned his wife, Rhaegar abandoned his children and Rhaegar, his wife and his children all died. Its not quite a Robb scenario where he got pressed into marriage either. 

Its realistic but its also the behavior of a scumbag which the plot generally doesn't depict Rhaegar as. 

5 minutes ago, Daemon of the Blacks said:

Sure. But unless you ask Robert Rhaegar has quite a fine reputation. Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought valiantly and Rhaegar died. Not Raegar abandoned his wife, Rhaegar abandoned his children and Rhaegar, his wife and his children all died. Its not quite a Robb scenario where he got pressed into marriage either. 

Its realistic but its also the behavior of a scumbag which the plot generally doesn't depict Rhaegar as. 

Rhaegar has been a scumbag since they showed the wedding with Lyanna. I know for Jon this is great but his birth father had another family and left them to die. And Uncle Ned had to pick up the slack. 

Edited by King Jon Snow Stark

I have my gripes with this episode, but the biggest surprise is seeing people complain about the writing of the episode by bigging up the most awful of genre-cliche's... prophecies.

I'm glad this zombie stuff is by all appearances over and done with. It's been one of the weakest parts of the show.

It was definitely an entertaining spectacle. It had its usual holes and issues but I thought a lot of it was pretty intense. I told myself I’m just gonna try and enjoy this last season despite all the silliness, so damn it I will! I did have to brighten my tv like 3 times though. 

The shots of the dragons above the clouds were great, and I really liked the music and slow-mo stuff at the end. Didn’t care for how the NK died, and him shying away from Jon too... thought shit was about to go down there. All in all this was easily the best episode in years IMO.

Bran shall forever be known as Bran the Bait.

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

It was definitely an entertaining spectacle. It had its usual holes and issues but I thought a lot of it was pretty intense. I told myself I’m just gonna try and enjoy this last season despite all the silliness, so damn it I will! I did have to brighten my tv like 3 times though. 

The shots of the dragons above the clouds were great, and I really liked the music and slow-mo stuff at the end. Didn’t care for how the NK died, and him shying away from Jon too... thought shit was about to go down there. All in all this was easily the best episode in years IMO.

Bran shall forever be known as Bran the Bait.

Yeah me too. It would have been nice if they had a little fight scene. They have been facing off with each other for a couple of seasons now. Should have had them fight in that scene and then the NK realizes he might lose to Jon, he raises the dead to stop Jon and then the rise of the episode could have continued as it did.

Well at least Sansa need not worry about feeding all those armies anymore.

And the Dragons survived......yey .........well for a bit.

I suppose D&D are not going to explain the whacked seasons etc. Mind you I've separated the books and the show since Season 2; it makes for a far more pleasant viewing experience.

I would like to congratulate the production team, regardless of writing/acting etc. on a monumental effort. Some stunning scenes. 

53 minutes ago, Razha said:

I really hope you are right about that, otherwise his entire story seems quite pointless.

As do I. There seems to be a lot that will be swept under the rug and not explained this season. And now that Bran is the greatest force/greenseer alive in westeroes, able to influence past and present events, and having no equal in this coming battle will make zero just for him to sit it out. Again. 

1 hour ago, AndréaV said:

Bran said on the last episode that the NK wanted to kill "all humanity" and that meant killing Bran so not even the memory of humanity is left

That's weak.  When "all humanity" is killed the memory is killed too.   Why was Bran more important?  Why did the Bran require special attention from NK?  Why couldn't he be killed by the army of dead? 

44 minutes ago, Anarres said:

I have my gripes with this episode, but the biggest surprise is seeing people complain about the writing of the episode by bigging up the most awful of genre-cliche's... prophecies.

I'm glad this zombie stuff is by all appearances over and done with. It's been one of the weakest parts of the show.

It's been one of the weakest parts of the show because D&D failed to make it strong. It's that simple. Like seriously? What was the issue between the Night King and the Three-Eyed Raven? How did the Children lose control of the Night King? How was the Night King defeated to begin with? What's the connection between the old gods and weirwood trees to be exact?

Hell, by the end of it, we were seeing huge inconsistencies on how to destroy the zombies.

As for the prophecies? Well, these prophecies have been hyped up a lot since season 2. They "forgot" about them for a while after season 5 only to bring them back up out of nowhere in season 7 with this huge discussion on is it Daenerys or Jon. And then they just chuck it all out of the window?!

58 minutes ago, Anarres said:

Kind of silly in the books too, to be honest. GRRM had the zombies just wandering around or maybe turning left every time they came to the wall all NASCAR style... for years, while the story ignored them. 

It's the "Game of Thrones" not the "War with the Others"

Honestly has it not always been primarily about the Iron Throne?

I think so, and I'm fine with it. 

2 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

Kind of silly in the books too, to be honest. GRRM had the zombies just wandering around or maybe turning left every time they came to the wall all NASCAR style... for years, while the story ignored them. 

It's the "Game of Thrones" not the "War with the Others"

Honestly has it not always been primarily about the Iron Throne?

I think so, and I'm fine with it. 

It's the Song of Ice and Fire, and it's about the War for the Dawn and the harmony between the forces of ice and the forces of fire. The IT is just a sideshow. 

19 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

It's been one of the weakest parts of the show because D&D failed to make it strong. It's that simple. Like seriously? What was the issue between the Night King and the Three-Eyed Raven? How did the Children lose control of the Night King? How was the Night King defeated to begin with? What's the connection between the old gods and weirwood trees to be exact?

I doubt anyone can make it interesting without a complete overhaul of the faction. The White Walkers have literally said nothing at all. Nothing. Together with the wights they're just a swarm of animated bodies. A natural disaster with a humanoid appearance. Bran surmised a motivation behind their actions, but even that was thoroughly half-baked. The Three-Eyed Raven is the World's Memory? What kind of nonsense is that; not even his own family cares to come to him for more than a few Fun Facts. Did people even know there was such a thing as the Three-Eyed Raven? Probably not. Now perhaps there is going to be a moment in which Bran's (non-)participation in this event is given meaning, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by Anarres

5 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

The IT is just a sideshow.  

It's been the central focus of seven seasons of Game of Thrones, though.

That, and the drama it generated among human beings - each with stories, histories, conversations, motivations, faults, etc.

Fighting zombies is not nearly as interesting, and even though you can make any old premise cool if you tell the story well, it's still just going to be hordes of zombies.

Edited by Anarres

So Melisandre made 100,000 dothraki/azor ahai and they're all dead.
She lit the thrench and wights passed through fire.
Then she killed herself

In conclusion: The night is dark and full of terrors.

31 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

As for the prophecies? Well, these prophecies have been hyped up a lot since season 2. They "forgot" about them for a while after season 5 only to bring them back up out of nowhere in season 7 with this huge discussion on is it Daenerys or Jon. And then they just chuck it all out of the window?!

Maybe AA and TPTWP are two diferent persons, and the purpose of the latter wasn't to kill NK but something link only about (valyrians) Targaryens,the two prophecies  are different and Melisandre was wrong again.  (But I much doubt that D&D will go in this direction). So, the point of all  that fuss about Jon being Aegon Targaryen is resurection of Targaryen dynasty.

Edited by loverofcats

1 hour ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Probably didn't have enough space in the castle, only explanation. 

Yeah and with thousands of horses too, yes?

They're cavalry. Cavalry charge. It's what they do. 

All these arm chair generals crack me up like there's a manual on fighting an army of undead. 

If they packed inside the castle shoulder to shoulder and the undead arrived undelayed they would have simply "world war Z'd" the walls in a very short time and the plan would have failed. 

What you are seeing is a series of layered delaying tactics in order for there to be time for the Night King to be lured to Bran and defeated by Jon and Daenerys. 

Killing the Night King was their only hope. They'd never actually win the battle and they knew it. 

So not standard battle tactics.

18 minutes ago, Anarres said:

It's been the central focus of seven seasons of Game of Thrones, though.

That, and the drama it generated among human beings - each with stories, histories, conversations, motivations, faults, etc.

you understand everyone who interested in the thrones dies horribly right?

its the whole point of the story, the losers played the game while the real threat (the ww) came to kill them all. the story has always been about show how stupid those people were