[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

25 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Stop defending poor writing. Frontal charge with light cavalry is pointless. They should send dothraki to the East or West wait for the dead to hit the infantry and then attack from a side. 

They were vastly outnumbered. To flank the undead would have accomplished nothing and with a front of 100,000 undead they would have had to ride a loooong time. Meanwhile the center smashes Winterfell either way. 

Now, if you want to discuss whether or not the Dothroki would have sacrificed themselves willingly for the Seven Kingdoms' survival, their queen or any other reason, that's something I could consider. 

But just maybe they were arrogant enough to believe they would survive. 

14 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Extremely disappointed. Everything in this episode is so bad. Couldn't see half of it because it was too dark.

I got even more disappointed after watching the preview for next week.

I'm done with the show.

See ya!

13 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Bran was just sitting around being significant and warging some crows to see battle progress but tell no one about it.

I think he was trying to find the NK with the crows.

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It's kind of weird that we didn't get a conclusion for Brienne and Jaime. I didn't see them in next week's preview either.

They're alive, they showed them after the NK went down and all the WW and wights.

5 hours ago, cirah1712 said:

I think well find out more deaths next week. Last week saw of Jaime and Brienne they were being ravaged by Wights so we don't know at this point if they survived. 

Lol, how did everyone miss the shot of Brienne, Jamie and Pod against the wall with a pile of dead wights at their feet?

27 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

That makes no sense, if they wanted NK to come to Bran and kill him they wouldn't be delaying anything, since the sooner they kill NK less people die. So 'buying time to lure NK to Bran' is complete contradiction. Bring Bran to the frontline and wait for NK to come since he wouldn't let the dead kill him and kill NK. But I don't think that was their plan. Also fighting outside and then defending the castle doesn't really buy more time, if they were defending the castle with full force it would take longer. 

They had no control over when the Night King would appear. In the scene where Jon wants to wait but Daenerys says "the dead are already here" shows clearly their plan. (also in the "after the episode" this is discussed) The Night King arrived after the army. After the battle started. If he was smarter he wouldn't have arrived at all..

But for some purpose yet to be revealed he wanted Bran dead ASAP and wanted to be the one to do it. 

This is where the storytelling stumbles but can be saved possibly by exposition later if it is explained. 

Yet to be determined. 

10 minutes ago, Arya's Sideboob said:

I think he was trying to find the NK with the crows.

Not just find him. Lure him. It was established in previous episodes the Night King can sense Bran when Bran is warging. 

So in a sense Bran tapped him on the shoulder and said "psst hey, I'm over here".

Edited by #teamNightking
Spelling

Just now, Nightwish said:

Thanks but what I meant was why he has to do it himself, not trusting other wights to do it? He has a full army of zombies there. 

Nope, no explanation, but maybe it's like how and why Lord Voldemort wanted to personally kill Harry Potter. 

Just now, Ice Queen said:

Nope, no explanation, but maybe it's like how and why Lord Voldemort wanted to personally kill Harry Potter. 

I wish they offered a better explanation why he had to come down from the clouds and do it himself, at least so we can justify why he lost the war. 

12 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

Not just find him. Lure him. It was established in previous episodes the Night King can sense Bran when Bran is warging. 

So in a sense Bran tapped him on the shoulder and said "psst hey, I'm over here".

But an episode ago bran said due to the mark on his arm the night king ALWAYS knows where he is.

Yah a frontal cavalry assault on a standing army that size is pretty pointless.  Writers should have added SOME more effective tactical ideas...like creating a tier of fire barriers, letting in some of the invading army cross a fire line at a time before lighting a firewall behind them, killing them off and then retreating behind the next fire line... anything.  

Poor Dothraki.   

As for the darkness and the cold, remember the first Long Night description (from the wiki) and I think the writers wanted to capture some of that:

Eight thousand years before the Targaryen Conquest, a winter known as the Long Night descended upon the world, which lasted an entire generation. Thousands starved as the crops and fields lay buried under dozens of feet of snow. In the darkness and cold of the Long Night, the White Walkers descended upon Westeros from the farthest north, the polar regions of the Lands of Always Winter

While the episode was cinematically beautiful it lacked a lot in terms of plot. 

In the books for example there is a long line of foreshadowing when it comes to the starks and the White walkers (plus the Children of the forest who created them, a major plot point that will definitely be in the books). But the Night king and his ilk had no other motivation in the series besides being the big bad, no real motivation. Probably because the writers never included hints about the connection they wanted to finish it of first so the series would end with the more "human" dillemas, Cersei/Jaime/Brienne, Cleganebowl, and whether jon or dany will get the Throne in the end. 

To name a direct neglected hint that was put forward in the books but not the series; Winterfell was magically made and yet we saw no magical barriers in the crypt to prevent the dead from rising or entering it.

All in all, great series but the way the show creators have dealt with (necessarily) simplifying the plot has left me a bit "Bitttersweet" to say it in a poetic sense. I actually liked Arya killing the Night King since Jon vs Night king would have been to cliché, although a better role in the showdown would have served the whole prophecy bit a lot better.

Episode WAY to dark it was litterally hard to watch the whole episode lol

ARYA kills the NK really? Arya? 

NK can eat dragon fire to the face ? K what? A being of ice cannot be harmed by dragon fire? 

Danny landing her dragon and allowing it to be stabbed dozens upon dozens of times. 

Jamie is an elite fighter again apparently.......

Arya @ 100 pounds is a wight killing machine

battle made no sense in so many ways lol

Overall though a solid 8/10 

1 hour ago, Nightwish said:

I wish they offered a better explanation why he had to come down from the clouds and do it himself, at least so we can justify why he lost the war. 

Yeah. Best I can come up with is he was certain he had already won and so why not gloat a little a kill him himself and savor the moment. 

Possibly possessing some humanlike behavior. 

We know way too little about Bran, the Night King, the motivation and history. 

It's all still a bit mysterious. 

Unfortunately so. 

Before they ended this plotline I'd a really appreciated a full and detailed information dump.