[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

1 minute ago, Skills said:

The Dothraki charge might have been tactically stupid, but it sure helped set the tone of utter, impending dread.  I thought it was cool.  

I think this is the primary (perhaps only) reason they did it.  It's chilling, it's dramatic, it looks good.  The problem is that cool visuals should always be done in a way that they serve the story and make sense.  I didn't have a big problem with it, but I do understand why some did.  

3 hours ago, Nightwish said:

Is there any explanation offered why the NK wants personally to kill Bran? 

I mean, the Night King is kind of an asshole on the show.  Stared Jon down while raising all the fallen wildlings at Hardhome.  Pretended he was going to take Jon on in single combat last night, but then smugly raised the dead around him and walked away.  Smirked at Dany when her dragonfire did jack shit to kill him.  

Maybe he just wanted to look Bran in the eye when he killed him so Bran knew he was beat?

2 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Episode WAY to dark it was litterally hard to watch the whole episode lol

ARYA kills the NK really? Arya? 

NK can eat dragon fire to the face ? K what? A being of ice cannot be harmed by dragon fire? 

Danny landing her dragon and allowing it to be stabbed dozens upon dozens of times. 

Jamie is an elite fighter again apparently.......

Arya @ 100 pounds is a wight killing machine

battle made no sense in so many ways lol

Overall though a solid 8/10 

Should have given Jamie a dragonglass dagger hand!  Arya is awesome man, c'mon.  She's one of the most highly trained fighters on the show, even at her young age.  I've thoroughly enjoyed her arc and her nude scene with the fake boobage was spectacular.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, the Night King is kind of an asshole on the show.  Stared Jon down while raising all the fallen wildlings at Hardhome.  Pretended he was going to take Jon on in single combat last night, but then smugly raised the dead around him and walked away.  Smirked at Dany when her dragonfire did jack shit to kill him.  

Maybe he just wanted to look Bran in the eye when he killed him so Bran knew he was beat?

Yeah the NK had some major swag.

Does anyone realise that almost ALL of the Dothraki are now dead? An entire race of people who have lived over like a third of Essos just wiped from the face of Planetos? Of course there are probably a few of them left but if I understand correctly, Daenerys became khaleesi of all - or at least the vast majority - of the Dothraki in season 6, so maybe that was all the Dothraki in the world or close to it. I do think that at least 20-25 % are left, because some might have stayed behind or refused to join her, and of course half of them are women and children and do not fight, but still. Possibly almost all adult male Dothraki on Planetos dead in 5 minutes...

Edited by Adam Targaryen

4 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

Jon is dead and resurrected, and the NK was aware of him a mile away. 

Just giving the benefit of the doubt, as so far coherence, cogency or plausibility -- about just about everything -- so far has been elusive.  :cheers:

To say this episode is bad would be the understatement of the ceuntry. This episode is beyond bad; it is incoherent, incomprehensible, and batshit insane: Who in the right mind would make those decisions, let alone combining then together in one single episode?

The most glaring problem is of course the writers completely miss the point and central theme of the book, that human earthly ambitions or political quibbles are nothing comparing to the whims of nature. The Others are exactly that: a force of nature. It cannot be bargained with. At best you can only build a dam or a wall to limit its destructive potential when nature has entered into a more docile cycle. Even then you can only live with it and be on alert.

Bruce Lee's little sister just outright assassinated nature. And going by their interview, it was an intentional choice. How could they completely miss such obvious point of the story? I believe the best explanation is malice. This is the writers saying they don't care what the audience think. All they wanted to do is to shock you, or going by industry's jargon, subverting expectation.

They intentionally trade logical and coherent storytelling for shock effect, and do it without the slightness shred of care and in such a hamfisted way. It is like they are saying to the audience "you didn't like our previous decision, like Sandra getting raped for no reason? How do you take it now?" Then they proceeded to rip the whole story apart at the seam.

We have underestimated D&D. They aren't just hacks; they are malicious hacks, trolling our love of the original story and good storytelling. 

Next episode, Arya ninja-stabs Euron. The episode after that, she single handedly kills Gregor while wearing Sandor's face because we cannot not have 'cleganebowl' (Fan service y'all!), valonqars Cersei In the finale, solves global warming, invents the printing press and brings the industrial revolution to Westeros And everyone claps.

It's quite apt that my GoT discussion group with friends is now called "The Long Shite"

Edited by LHakaLH

42 minutes ago, briantw said:

You are right, and he did make a big entrance appearing to Bran with all the white walkers around him. Along with Bran being the 3ER so he wanted to personally seal the deal. Also I think he felt secure enough since all of his opponents where occupied one way or another. And all of these became his weakness. But I somehow expected him to be more cool than this. 

Just now, Nightwish said:

You are right, and he did make a big entrance appearing to Bran with all the white walkers around him. Along with Bran being the 3ER so he wanted to personally seal the deal. Also I think he felt secure enough since all of his opponents where occupied one way or another. And all of these became his weakness. But I somehow expected him to be more cool than this. 

Yeah, I definitely didn't think he'd be getting killed off in episode three.

36 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Does anyone realise that almost ALL of the Dothraki are now dead? An entire race of people who have lived over like a third of Essos just wiped from the face of Planetos? Of course there are probably a few of them left but if I understand correctly, Daenerys became khaleesi of all - or at least the vast majority - of the Dothraki in season 6, so maybe that was all the Dothraki in the world or close to it. I do think that at least 20-25 % are left, because some might have stayed behind or refused to join her, and of course half of them are women and children and do not fight, but still. Possibly almost all adult male Dothraki on Planetos dead in 5 minutes...

This was a heavy loss indeed. I am not even sure if the unsullied survived but then unsullied are not a race. Dothraki took a heavy loss so the moral teaching would be; don’t follow foreigners. This is what happens to all who pass the sea. Not a good point for the show to make. 

Opening scene was very good. There was real dread in everything, movements, faces, sounds, waiting. And Melisandre lightning Dothraki swords looked beautiful. But such big beautiful scenes should have at least some meaning. To all of them just dissolve in darkness just erase any sense. And it all escalated from there. Those tsunami of ultraspeedy dead people rolling over Unsullied and somehow Grey Worm stayed alive? (I love Grey Worm and I’m glad he’s alive, but really...) And to quote some guys that made a review of the episode: why is Ghost even there? Why would he be in vanguard, by Jorah’s side? And how the hell are Jaime, Brienne and Pod stayed alive pressed against that wall? And of course, you all already talked about Arya falling from the stormy sky and stab Night King – that was unbelievable, and not in good way at all.

I can understand that people love action and speed and lots of wow moments, but would a little bit of logic and probability hurt so much?

And I’m with those of you, guys, that said hey, at least Sansa doesn’t have to worry any more about how to feed all those people. Problem solved. We can relax. 

18 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Extremely disappointed. Everything in this episode is so bad. Couldn't see half of it because it was too dark.

I got even more disappointed after watching the preview for next week.

I'm done with the show.

That's some hell of a protest you're making there considering that there are only 3 episodes left in the entire series.

5 minutes ago, Ser Pip said:

That's some hell of a protest you're making there considering that there are only 3 episodes left in the entire series.

Nerds are the worst, the absolute worst. There are people who've given every episode one out of ten, yet still watch it next week. Those people are dumb as shit. 

Dothraki took a heavy loss so the moral teaching would be; don’t follow foreigners. This is what happens to all who pass the sea. Not a good point for the show to make. 

How about: "Don’t bow down to White Saviours"? That still might be good moral to our human story, even after all these centuries after Cortez and Aztecs.

But I really do agree with you.

That was such a waste. They just dispensed of them, like of used paper handkerchiefs. If I was Dany, I would be howling mad and coming with both my dragons, and both still living direwolves, right after showrunners. 

41 minutes ago, LHakaLH said:

To say this episode is bad would be the understatement of the ceuntry. This episode is beyond bad; it is incoherent, incomprehensible, and batshit insane: Who in the right mind would make those decisions, let alone combining then together in one single episode?

The most glaring problem is of course the writers completely miss the point and central theme of the book, that human earthly ambitions or political quibbles are nothing comparing to the whims of nature. The Others are exactly that: a force of nature. It cannot be bargained with. At best you can only build a dam or a wall to limit its destructive potential when nature has entered into a more docile cycle. Even then you can only live with it and be on alert.

Bruce Lee's little sister just outright assassinated nature. And going by their interview, it was an intentional choice. How could they completely miss such obvious point of the story? I believe the best explanation is malice. This is the writers saying they don't care what the audience think. All they wanted to do is to shock you, or going by industry's jargon, subverting expectation.

They intentionally trade logical and coherent storytelling for shock effect, and do it without the slightness shred of care and in such a hamfisted way. It is like they are saying to the audience "you didn't like our previous decision, like Sandra getting raped for no reason? How do you take it now?" Then they proceeded to rip the whole story apart at the seam.

We have underestimated D&D. They aren't just hacks; they are malicious hacks, trolling our love of the original story and good storytelling. 

Next episode, Arya ninja-stabs Euron. The episode after that, she single handedly kills Gregor while wearing Sandor's face because we cannot not have 'cleganebowl' (Fan service y'all!), valonqars Cersei In the finale, solves global warming, invents the printing press and brings the industrial revolution to Westeros And everyone claps.

It's quite apt that my GoT discussion group with friends is now called "The Long Shite"

Bold mine. You just summed it up perfectly. Bravo!

LHakaLH: The Others are exactly that: a force of nature. It cannot be bargained with. At best you can only build a dam or a wall to limit its destructive potential when nature has entered into a more docile cycle. Even then you can only live with it and be on alert.

I really like this part of your post. But I don’t think many people look at it that way. We live in our great concrete cities and believe we mastered it all. Might be in for surprise.

Anyway, it looks like show loves, loves, loves its Lannisters. Queen Cersei above all others and Others. Shall we be able to stomach that?

Edited by WeCameFromNorth
Grammer.

59 minutes ago, LHakaLH said:

I agree.  Listening to the showrunners, it seems they think they are directing The Walking Dead Meets The Tudors, and either don't care or don't understand any of the themes of the books on which the show is based.