[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

I still find it funny that people thought Jaime was going to die in this battle. Like with Arya, Jaime's story had not been close to the White Walkers til the end of last season so seeing him go down against those whose story he was thrust into last minute makes no sense before the build up between him and Cersei was concluded

Edited by Adam_Up_Bxtch

1 hour ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I still find it funny that people thought Jaime was going to die in this battle. Like with Arya, Jaime's story had not been close to the White Walkers til the end of last season so seeing him go down against those whose story he was thrust into last minute makes no sense before the build up between him and Cersei was concluded

Jaime's story is his redemption arc. He completed it.

4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Yes, Gendry will get Storm's End, the Baratheon seat, and Samwell Horn Hill. I don't think Sam will want to be a Warden, preferring to secrete himself away in the Citadel. Jamie could be Warden of the South if he survives; otherwise, Brienne. It would be 'poetic' if Tormund were given Bear Island. Bronn can have his choice of two castles going spare (of which there will be many - The Twins, for example).

Funny you mention this, I was thinking he is there since it's empty and pretty important. Would be funny if they are all heading south and he's like, pay the toll bitches I finally got my castle!

In reality I expect him to show up this week and then the next week reveal what Cersei wanted him to do.

3 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

How epic would it have been to see a 7 on 7 between the white walker generals and Brienne,jamie,Jon,Jorah, Arya, Sandor and beric

That would have been FANTASTIC and a good reference book lore. 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:06 AM, briantw said:

It was kind of refreshing for the good guys' plan to actually work out for once on the first try.  That alone is subverting genre cliches.  :lol:

Failing to burn the Big Bad with fire counts as a try. I think technically you have to give Theon credit for a try, too. 

6 hours ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

How epic would it have been to see a 7 on 7 between the white walker generals and Brienne,jamie,Jon,Jorah, Arya, Sandor and beric

I posted this in another thread.

I really wish the writers would have wrote really good strategies to defeat the dead, actually have Winterfell winning. That would have forced the white walkers to move to the forefront to stop the massacre of their forces, and then we could have had a lot of the major characters fight off with them with some actual deaths.

The whole battle could culminate with them slowly losing and being overwhelmed since the walkers would put out the fires stopping the dead, and then the Night King flanking them with the major force of his army from the opposite direct, crushing everything in its path. That would then cause all the survivors to flee through the crypts.

The other option is if they wanted to finish it then and there, would be let some of the heroes and Jon face a group of the white walkers and the Night King. The generals falling and the heroes falling, one of them Arya. It is then Jon against the Night King, and the Night King is clearly better, and up from behind comes Arya, stabbing the NK in the neck with her dagger, allowing Jon to recover and finish the Night King with a blow.

Yes, a sort of mirror of the Tower of Joy battle.

A group effort to the end of the threat, and Jon still able to finish his story arc against the Others. It would also let all the Valyrian steel to be put to good use.

Edited by longest night

46 minutes ago, Arya's Sideboob said:

Jon TRIED to get him one on one as well, but the Swag King raised the roof, along with the dead around him and kept walking.

If Theon had just saved 1 more dragonglass arrow. Wouldn't have had to suicide himself in a quarter mile spear charge. :blush:

Might have even been the one to save the day. 

6 hours ago, divica said:

That would have been FANTASTIC and a good reference book lore. 

Easy to do too. Have killing the night king only destroy the wights he personally created. Leaves the white walkers and many wights still but a way more reasonable number. Then have a final epic battle ensue with more even odds. 

1 hour ago, longest night said:

I posted this in another thread.

I really wish the writers would have wrote really good strategies to defeat the dead, actually have Winterfell winning. That would have forced the white walkers to move to the forefront to stop the massacre of their forces, and then we could have had a lot of the major characters fight off with them with some actual deaths.

The whole battle could culminate with them slowly losing and being overwhelmed since the walkers would put out the fires stopping the dead, and then the Night King flanking them with the major force of his army from the opposite direct, crushing everything in its path. That would then cause all the survivors to flee through the crypts.

The other option is if they wanted to finish it then and there, would be let some of the heroes and Jon face a group of the white walkers and the Night King. The generals falling and the heroes falling, one of them Arya. It is then Jon against the Night King, and the Night King is clearly better, and up from behind comes Arya, stabbing the NK in the neck with her dagger, allowing Jon to recover and finish the Night King with a blow.

Yes, a sort of mirror of the Tower of Joy battle.

A group effort to the end of the threat, and Jon still able to finish his story arc against the Others. It would also let all the Valyrian steel to be put to good use.

That is about 500% better than what we got in the show for the pay off of 7 years of story.

Despite the episode's flaws such as the Dothraki getting red shirted and Bran pointlessly warging into some crows, I highly enjoyed this episode. Theon's last stand protecting Bran, concluding his redemption arc, Jorah protecting Dany to the very end, the Night King tanking dragonfire with a shit eating smirk, Lyanna Mormont going out like an absolute bad ass, and Assassin's Creed Arya coming through in the clutch, subverting expectations by being the one to kill the Night King. My heart was pounding and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, not since Breaking Bad has a show made me do that. I loved it.

9 minutes ago, Darksnider05 said:

Is it really first 30 seconds he says Arya is fine after getting rammed into a wall when her being concussed is a huge part of the next segment of the show.  

are you saying she runs from some wights because she is concussed? 

Because the only effect from the collusion is her dripping blood when she is hiding...

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:39 AM, A_S said:

Didn't find a discussion about this, but I didn't get what the zombies were doing in the library with Arya? Were they some dead librarians come to life or what the hell? Every other zombie was going around killing people and they were just there walking around and putting books on shelves?

I think they were just on 'low power' as they had ended up stuck in there by accident, presumably after chasing some poor sods through the corridors, then got confused by the maze of bookcases and didn't have anyone else to chase nearby. Most 'zombies' in other shows/films seem to go offline this way when not actively chasing someone, and only power-up when they sense a victim. The impression I get was that the NK can order 'attack the castle' and they understand that, but at the end of the day they are just zombies.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:02 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

The Stallion that Mounts the World is going to conquer Westeros any day now... After all, it was prophecied.

The prince who was promised prophecy has always been much vaguer in the show than the books. Even so, I doubt we'll ever be getting an answer in either medium about who exactly it is and their intended role.  If their intended role is made clear, maybe it's to unify most of  humanity against the White Walkers. And many characters in the books fit the description of a potential prince... on purpose, I argue, because the point is going to be that there's nobody who exactly fits this prophecy. And nobody, at the least, is actually going to be revealed to be Azor Azai and get a magical sword after killing their lover.

I agree that I wish Jon, Dany, and especially Bran had done more in the battle. Bran especially; his role in the plot needs to be justified more than Dany and Jon, who have already done important things, like gathered allies for the battle, discovered how to kill white walkers, secured obsidian for their army, used dragons, etc... They will also have important things to do in the political endgame of the show, with Jon being the heir to the throne, Dany wanting to take it, etc...

Where I really disagree with you is that a character's arc has no point if they don't have some climactic battle with their enemy. Sure, this is a way of resolving a character's arc; deaths in fiction can be satisfying and cathartic when they are killed by someone who they've wronged or had many interactions with before. In ASoIaF, the Tickler and Arya comes to mind, as does Tywin and Tyrion. But, fiction is a varied thing, and GRRM for one has recognized quite correctly that it quickly gets boring if all deaths can be seen from twenty miles away, like a checklist. And so, Drogo is killed by a wound he gets anonymously in the battle and turned into a lifeless zombie by a witch we met a chapter earlier; Joffrey is killed by Olenna Tyrell, not Tyrion or Sansa, whom he spent two books tormenting. You might as well ask what was the point of all the scenes of Joffrey torturing Sansa if she doesn't get to kill him or have a sword fight with him. 

Similarly, there's no reason why Arya's arc needs to be exclusively about king's landing assassinations; it in fact became clearly not completely about that last season, when she chose to abandon her quest for vengeance to return home and be with her family. And from a narrative standpoint, it makes complete sense that the Night King would avoid fighting Jon, whom he's seen kill a  white walker, but not be on the lookout for a sneaky assassin. But again, the execution left something to be desired.  

I think that was the Lord of Light's intention, misdirection kind of. NK threw a wall of Wights plus Viseryon at Jon. He was so confident when he approached Bran you could almost hear him monologging in his head.

Also, where did the ice spear that he threw at Drogon come from?

(okay, I watched it again and he has a spear when he's riding Viseryon)

Edited by Rast-afari
Updated info