[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

Just now, hallam said:

I thought it was a great episode, unless you were hoping the show validates your book theories. Sorry, it was obvious that there was almost certainly a major departure. Lightbringer was never really brought up the way it was in the books, nor was Dawn. The Prince Who Was Promised wasn't really promised very much.

That said, book Arya could well be the one kills the NK with that blade because that is the blade that the assassin tried to use to kill Bran, the blade that started the war of the seven kings. It has been metaphorically but not exactly literally drenched in blood.

I was pretty sure that Arya would take out someone really important. But the whole plot line seems to be telling us she is going to give Cersei the stabby-stabby. So this is a bit of a switch. I don't think she can be taking out Cersei as well. But she can certainly be part of the operation.

The Tyrion/Sansa match up was rather interesting. They are the two people who spend most time actually thinking about ruling well. The problem as Sansa points out is that she isn't leaving Winterfell and Tyrion isn't leaving her queen because she needs him.

A major departure? Why not say several major departures?

Plural.

Just now, Bear Claw said:

Maybe Bran has to contend with fire now? Jojen had a vision seasons ago with his hand on fire, saying he would know the end when it came. I don't think this was that ending, not yet anyway. 

I agree and just like Mel explained why TLoL kept Beric alive, TLoL also brought back Jon... and Brans quote to theon was meant for everyone "everything you did brought you to where you belong" or however it went. You might be onto something with the vs fire thing.

I liked the episode, and am insanely shocked that the Others are gone in episode 3. I'll post more thoughts tomorrow once I've digested it more, but for now all I'll say is that I find the meltdown of the "lorecrafting" fans of the series kind of hilarious. There never was an actual Azor Ahai in the show, and there probably never will be in the books. It's almost like GRRM has primed us from book one to remember that prophecies and myths don't always come true...

1 minute ago, hallam said:

That said, book Arya could well be the one kills the NK with that blade because that is the blade that the assassin tried to use to kill Bran, the blade that started the war of the seven kings. It has been metaphorically but not exactly literally drenched in blood.

There is no NK in the books. Book-NK was the LC of the Night's Watch who sacrificed babies to the Others like Craster and he crowned himself, and got taken down for it. He's long dead and not an active character in the books anymore. Just a historical figure.

8 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

damn you're right. He is next to Varys.

Yup, it took some work, but that is Ghost.  Thank you to all who found him.  Hmmmm, maybe a few Dothraki made it too, then?  LOL  No one left alive, direwolves and dragons included, should have to die for Cersi The Boring. 

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

A major departure? Why not say several major departures?

Plural.

A major departure in the manner in which the NK is killed in particular.

I also still think R+L=J isn't the same in the books by a loooong way.

6 minutes ago, divica said:

But it just made so many things people have been discussing about for years completly irrelevant! 

I can t understand how fans of asoiaf could make this ep/season. The AA/ptwp is one of those things that should be respected about asoiaf when filming got...

Yes it's been irrelevant to the book theories for years already.

17 minutes ago, Lady Sansador said:

Mel was known to sometimes get her prophesies wrong,  that was the point of stannis, it was a farce imo.

Jon could still be tptwp, but i agree,  idk where his story is going. 

I still stand by the episode, for me out delivered,  i think they will give us an explanation. 

It's not just Mel's phophesies though.  There are other sources.  

Getting Stannis wrong nearly broke her.  Now she left at the beginning of season 7 for?  I hope the explanation is better than the NK wanted Bran because of memories ...

1 minute ago, hallam said:

A major departure in the manner in which the NK is killed in particular.

I also still think R+L=J isn't the same in the books by a loooong way.

I agree: I think that the story of R+L=J is actually a very long and a little complicated. And more people will care about it.

1 minute ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

So essentially the Lord brought Jon Snow back from the dead just to take Winterfell back from the Boltons. Which he didn't even take back on his own Baelish and Sansa took it back.

That is a good question.

What is the point of jon's life now? have sex with danny?

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

Out of curiosity, was this prophesy mentioned in the show? I can't remember...

The years of waiting creates tons of speculation and theories that didn’t happen. I think the speculation and theories were actually really good, but not the direction the show went. We know they “simplified” a lot of things. Some changes were good, but I think they took It too far.

Hopefully, we will actually get the books at some point. I hope so.

D&D made a good show, and very flashy, but without the book material, I really think the show suffered. 

1 minute ago, divica said:

That is a good question.

What is the point of jon's life now? have sex with danny?

Guess, if he hadn't lived, Arya would never have gone back to WF. But then again, if he hadn't lived, he'd never have gone to hunt for a wight either and the Wall would still be standing. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

There is no NK in the books. Book-NK was the LC of the Night's Watch who sacrificed babies to the Others like Craster and he crowned himself, and got taken down for it. He's long dead and not an active character in the books anymore. Just a historical figure.

There is no NK yet. All we have is rumours. We haven't found out very much about the zombies yet.

We also have the unreliable narrator part coming in as Sam discovers the histories are frauds, the passage of time dosen't match the number of LCs etc.

I think it is clear we are getting foreshadowing that there will be a leader in the books. Whether it is the NK or whatever... not really clear yet.

The books may have more than one NK. The one taken out by AA and a later one. Who knows. Well maybe we find out after GRRM announces he finished WoW two years ago and has been working on ADOS. OK, that isn't likely but he couldn't really publish after the show went ahead of the books.

15 minutes ago, no_one_... said:

Sorry 4 2x quote.  If you are referring to Jon salt would be his Mom's/Ned's tears.  Not sure on the fire.  Lightbringer was forged with a blood sacrifice.   They brought up ptwp in season 7 w/Danny and Jon.    

I was talking about Arya being AA, not Jon.

And the dagger she used has been used before and has the blood of Cat Stark and (maybe, not sure) Rob on it

5 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

So essentially the Lord brought Jon Snow back from the dead just to take Winterfell back from the Boltons. Which he didn't even take back on his own Baelish and Sansa took it back.

Good point!!!

But it was really Mel did it. And she thought Stannis was the Prince of Light earlier. She only realizes it was Arya when Beric dies.