[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

Best parts of episode.

Beric sacrificing himself to save Arya.

Theon sacrificing himself to protect Bran.

Sansa & Tyrion together in the crypt.

Jorah going down fighting to defend Daenerys just like he was supposed to.

Lyanna Mormont taking down a Giant by herself before dying-RIP. Epic death scene for Bella Ramsey....you go girl.

Worst parts:

Seemingly easy way NK went down in the end, although all the love to Ninja Assasin Arya.

Stupid disposition of defenses. worthless cavalry charge wasting the Dothraki and the artillery in front of the fire pits and the Unsullied infantry??

1 minute ago, TigerA said:

Best parts of episode.

Beric sacrificing himself to save Arya.

Theon sacrificing himself to protect Bran.

Sansa & Tyrion together in the crypt.

Jorah going down fighting to defend Daenerys just like he was supposed to.

Lyanna Mormont taking down a Giant by herself before dying-RIP. Epic death scene for Bella Ramsey....you go girl.

Worst parts:

Seemingly easy way NK went down in the end, although all the love to Ninja Assasin Arya.

Stupid disposition of defenses. worthless cavalry charge wasting the Dothraki and the artillery in front of the fire pits and the Unsullied infantry??

Yeah it's pretty clear the show writers aren't well versed in medieval warfare lol.

8 minutes ago, shameeka said:

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

Out of curiosity, was this prophesy mentioned in the show? I can't remember...

Not in such detail, no. But Melissandre is talking about AA and TPTWP since season 2

10 minutes ago, hallam said:

There is no NK yet. All we have is rumours. We haven't found out very much about the zombies yet.

We also have the unreliable narrator part coming in as Sam discovers the histories are frauds, the passage of time dosen't match the number of LCs etc.

I think it is clear we are getting foreshadowing that there will be a leader in the books. Whether it is the NK or whatever... not really clear yet.

The books may have more than one NK. The one taken out by AA and a later one. Who knows. Well maybe we find out after GRRM announces he finished WoW two years ago and has been working on ADOS. OK, that isn't likely but he couldn't really publish after the show went ahead of the books.

The zombies are slow, they kill by choking people and disemboweling them. They don't use weapons, except they accidentally happen to grasp one in a struggle, and they die by fire. You can also eat them: crack the marrow and they cease to move.

The Others are quick as lightning, become mr. Puddles when stabbed by dragonglass, bring the cold, and obviously exist of matter that requires deep cold (close to absolute zero point) in order not to turn into fluids or gas. Since their blood remains a fluid that's what keeps them so cold, and entropy makes that the environment around them gets cold too. They're tall. They're sword-thin. They don't leave prints in snow (other density). They look like each other's twins. And all they require seemingly are seed and souls (sort of like Mel needs seed and shadow for shadow creatures). They have their own language. There is likely some force or power "leading" them, but don't think it will ever show itself outside the Heart of Winter. I think even the show over-simplified what happened with Craster's sons back in s2.

There is no foreshadowing whatsoever that there will be a miltary commanding NK in the forefront whatsoever in the books. None. This belief that there will be one is purely based on what the show did.

Edited by sweetsunray

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I think even the show over-simplified what happened with Craster's sons back in s2.

In the books they mention that they give livestock when the Others come and they have no boys to give, so clearly there's something beyond just turning the kids into white walkers.  

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But one thing I did like was how they took the "maid slays a giant in a castle of snow" prophecy from A Storm of Swords and give it to Lady Mormont.

No, it's about Sansa and Littlefinger. Because the first part of the prophecy about Sansа and Joffrey: "I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow."

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I think even the show over-simplified what happened with Craster's sons back in s2.

It looks like it has a kernel of the book though. I think the return of the other is precipitated in some way by Craster's actions and the NW knowing about them but failing to protect the boys out of expediency.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

In the books they mention that they give livestock when the Others come and they have no boys to give, so clearly there's something beyond just turning the kids into white walkers.  

They're building an army of ice sheep ;)

Just now, Ilissa said:

No, it's about Sansa and Littlefinger. Because the first part of the prophecy about Sansа and Joffrey: "I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow."

I know it's about Sansa and Littlefinger.

I'm just saying that the showrunners paid homage to that prophecy by having Lady Mormont slay giant in the Winterfell yard during a blizzard.

1 minute ago, hallam said:

It looks like it has a kernel of the book though. I think the return of the other is precipitated in some way by Craster's actions and the NW knowing about them but failing to protect the boys out of expediency.

Craster isn't the sole one. The clans of the Frozen shore worhsip cold gods (and are cannibals). Tormund doesn't like them, and warns Jon to have an eye on them.

My first thought after the ending, this can't be canon right?  Did they accidentally send in the wrong version, and that this was one of those fake endings that we heard they shot to discredit leaks.  So if you can't tell, I'm not content with this ending.  I'm also wondering if Martin is done with Winds of Winter and has been for a while but since it has content that discredits the shows take on events, he decided to wait on releasing it until after the show was completely done.

For what I liked about this episode, Dany was a total Boss.  She kicked butt on Drogon and was just pure awesome start to finish.  I loved her standing her ground with Jorah at the end, helping to watch his back as he protected her.  Yes the odds were against them and Jorah sadly didn't make it.  My other favorite moment from Dany (and admittedly I might have misinterpreted it) was her purposefully sliding off Drogon so that he could fly to safety.  She just sacrificed her life to save her boy (considering she was surrounded she couldn't have expected to survive).  Some one give her a 'World's Best Mom' mug.

Other highlights are Jaime and Brienne saving each other multiple times to make it through to dawn.  Also Missandei calling out Sansa's rivalry with Daenerys in the crypts.  The dragons were as a whole pretty good as well.

I think that pretty much sums up what I liked, everything else I didn't.  So yeah, I was not a fan of this episode.