[Spoilers] Episode 803 Discussion

Ran

I'm confused at these people happy with NK dying like a chump because "the real meat of GoT is political intrigue, grey morality, not good vs evil."

Are you joking? Cersei and Euron are about as shallowly evil as he was. This show has been neatly divided between TEAM GOOD and TEAM BAD for a while now.

3 minutes ago, nara said:

This might be a source of debate in the next episode of Sansa vs. Dany.

Regarding the battle, I am no military tactician but...shouldn’t they have used the trebuchets before the Dothraki rode out? Or shouldn’t they have started with dragons burning all the wights? The dragons didn’t start spewing fire until the wights were mixed with the people so some good guys probably got burned.  Also, the moment Dany found out that Jon could ride Rhaegal, shouldn’t she have tried to teach him how to dracarys? Might have made Jon more useful in the battle 

I agree with all of your points - I think the show just wanted the battle to look as desparate as possible, and didn't think about the fact that there is an actual line of believability that gets crossed - they were way too overwhelmed, for way too long, for me to believe that they have enought soldiers left to go after Cersei.

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But one thing I did like was how they took the "maid slays a giant in a castle of snow" prophecy from A Storm of Swords and give it to Lady Mormont.

I did expect more out of Sansa this episode. Sansa in the crypts was supposed to be an inverse of Cersei in Maegor's Holdfast during the Blackwater.

Yeah. Sansa could have offered comfort to the people down there. Talked to them or something. She just complained that she was down there with the useless.

42 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

So it was that simple?  All she had to do was stab him?  How did she get by all those White Walkers?

Stealth. And that blade was tempered in her Mothers blood and the blood of all of Westeros. 

Just now, joaozinm said:

i really hope that Sansa and Dany don't get along and the "true heir Jon" get caught in the middle otherwise we gonna see evil vs good for 3 episodes...

You mean you don't watch to watch 4 hours of Dany fighting Cersei?

Dunno if anyone's said this, but next ep they should name Arya Protector of the Realm.  Don't think it has a chance of happening in the books, but it's all fan service now, right?  Honestly, surprised how many apparently survived.  Guess they're holding off for something.

33 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Their strategy sounded ridiculous last week. It went even more poorly for them than I expected. But Deus Ex Melisandre showed up to luckily light the way for some of the battle. By the Seven that was hard to watch.

I'm hoping for some kind of Bran explanation these final episodes.

I think Mel counts as a dea ex machina, not a deus ex machina. Or Arya does. :)

One thing I'm glad of is is that it wasn't the storybook ending of some dashing sword-wielding hero like Jon defeating the big bad guy.

2 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

Euron is trash on the show and in the books. So...yeah, the Others should have been the meat and potatoes.

Euron is trash in the show.

He's a bit campy in the books yes -- the Captain Jack Sparrow of the series -- but I think he's written like that on purpose. Things will change. Notice how Euron's most campiest moments come from the point of view of Victarion. Because when it's from Aeron's POV, Euron acts (or, rather, gets described and portrayed) completely different.

That's done on purpose.

Euron is clearly the big bad. What with his political acumen, his fighting prowess and his magic powers. Euron is a triple threat.

1 minute ago, Bastard of Boston said:

"That's so cool! Wanna know what's cooler? Arya. Stabbin' 'em."

Arya's end if foreshadowed in the books as something to do with the Others/winter/cold.  I'm not sure she'll actually survive whatever she actually does in the book version of this shit, but I'm not gonna deny I'm happy she's still alive.