[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

8 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I gave it a 4 . Imo the entire episode was a mess and I am disappointed that 7 seasons of buildup ended with Arya coming out of nowhere to kill NK . 

And the Melisandre shit ?

I have always enjoyed this show and been a loyal fan . But now I think I'm done . 

Hopefully GRRM will give us something better in the last books than this mess. 

Just having the books would be something, but considering how poor AFFC and ADWD were, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

And unless D&D intentionally switched up GRRMs story to have Arya being the main instrument in defeating the Others (unlikely) then it's likely to go down a very similar way in the books.

3 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Just having the books would be something, but considering how poor AFFC and ADWD were, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

And unless D&D intentionally switched up GRRMs story to have Arya being the main instrument in defeating the Others (unlikely) then it's likely to go down a very similar way in the books.

I don't think who beats the Night King has any relevance in the show given how it went down.I'm sure It'll be different in the books. 

And GRRM even at his worst wouldn't half-ass the Night King's background and death

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

It was going okay, albeit with poor lighting, but then the ending happened and it was deeply disappointing. Night King's end was way too anti-climatic and it was silly how many main characters survived considering how many extra were killed.

If you compare it with the defeat of Sauron in LoTR, whether in the prologue by Isildur or at the end of Return of the King, those scenes were far more tense, impactful and haunting in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

So in the next 2 books arya is going to become AA/tptwp? Like she will be the most acomplished person in the asoiaf universe! skinchanger, faceless, AA/ptwp...

Personally, I feel a bit empty and dissatisfied right now.

I haven't even looked at the preview for episode 4, and I'm not terribly sure I'm interested given that I don't have a clue what 8 seasons of this White Walker drivel was all about, if the endgame is just back to medieval politics.

They might as well have just chosen one story or the other if they aren't coming together as a seamless whole.

What is going on?

Edited by Krishtotter

5 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

No it's not. She's a trained assassin, and she knows WF like the back of her hand. My heart almost stopped when she dropped the dagger though.

Ned’s words to Arya were prophetic. She saved her brother because the pack survives. And because she saved her brother, she saved the world.

I gave it a 5.   It just didn't feel very fulfilling to me.  A lot of years of buildup for a pretty formulaic/predictible ending.  

As others said,  I thought the darkness/not being able to see a lot of battle scenes and pacing were negatives.  Big problems with the plot - that nobody would have thought about all the dead people in the crypts, or the need to burn the 'friendly' dead if possible.  I would have expected several rings/layers of fire, or oil type traps outside of Winterfell.   As others said - where did Bran go exactly?  Were the crows supposed to make us think he was scouting or luring the Night King in?  In reality, if the army of the dead had any brains, they would be laying siege to Winterfell and starving them out or waiting for fuel for fire to run out.  For show/entertainment purposes, I can let some of those go - but all?  On top of all of this, really only minor characters died - all the main ones survived (not that I wanted to see anyone die - but, what made the great up to this point was the unpredictability.  

What I could see of some of the battle scenes were good.  I rather liked the Theon/Ironborn scenes in the Godswood.  However, I don't think this was better than Blackwater or Castle Black, or even last year's Jaime vs Dany tilt.    

The fact that they killed the NK in ep 3 seems like bad pacing, but if you consider last season and this as one whole, then it's better. But making Cersei the big bad end boss just pisses me off.

Mel was pretty underwhelming compared to book Mel who ignites hawks in flight.

They wasted the wightification of Edd and little Mormont. Make Sam kill Edd after he died to save him, jeez. And stop making Sam a blubbering coward. Yes, I know he fought, but he was shitting his pants the whole time. He's come a long way - give him some respect.

Sansa - use that fucking dagger you coward. Fight for your people.

They did do a good job of making things seem hopeless near the end, I'll give them that.

17 minutes ago, Ser Sinister said:

I gave it a 3/10. First and foremost, I think I just watched about 80 minutes of darkness with splotches of light thrown in here and there. Battle scenes (what you could see) were very well done though. Then, the ending...so predictable! The big bad, built up over 7-and-a-half seasons, killed by Super-Arya. So I guess we'll never know what he was on about.

I'll save my real feelings for the Rant and Rave thread.

Pretty much what I was going to say.  I was really disappointed, especially since I went back and watched the first episode a few nights back.  Tonight really solidified my belief that it feels like a completely different series than what it used to be.  The whole show was building to this but it just felt so weightless and thrown together to me.        

23 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

how long he's been the NK

Over 8,000 years, we know that much. Why does it matter?

Why the obsession with knowing more about the NK? I would like it too, but it's no different in every other fantasy story. The evil one wants to destroy the world as we know it. Never more reason than he's evil. In this case he was created to kill humans.

Bran's still alive. We may find out yet.

Edited by SansaJonRule

Ever since D&D became full time writers they've pushed very strongly a feminist agenda, making Sansa,Cersei,Dany look way more competent and smart than Jon,Jaime or Tyrion (albeit in Jaime's case It's justified). Notable examples being the battle of the bastard and literally every Tyrion scene involving Dany, Tyrion whose character has been ruined since he met her as he's no longer interesting at all because he can't go a full scene without mentioning her.

I'm not surprised Arya is the one who dealt the final blow

1 minute ago, Krishtotter said:

If you compare it with the defeat of Sauron in LoTR, whether in the prologue by Isildur or at the end of Return of the King, those scenes were far more tense, impactful and haunting in my opinion.

Well yes, but remember that this is just a TV show with a small budget and short lead time, not a garlanded film with a huge budget and long lead time.

Plus it was daylight both times Sauron bit it. You don’t defeat night incarnate without darkness.

I turned the brightness of my tv all the way up and it was still to dark.  Thought I was watching alien v predator requiem.  The battle what I could see was good.  Theon totally redeemed in the end, jonah the same.  Did enjoy the dance of the dragons however short it was.  The lighting of the dothraki swords was cool too bad we never saw what happened.  The night king smiling after being bathed in dragonfire, then raising the dead awesome moment.

After all the talk of the crypts last week I felt cheated.  The deaths in the episode again felt cheated outside of Theon and Jorah, nobody of note died.  It was all b list character huge battle death all around and essentially all the major player made it out alive and the dragons.  

I was expecting this epic showdown in the godswood.  We have all this valyrian steel at winterfell we get all this setup how it special and not one whitewalker featured in a sword fight.  That ending though it was too simple the longer it went though the more I saw it coming as soon as arya took off and Jon wasn't getting there.  Though I thought it was going to be an arrow of dragonglass.  

I'm gonna give it a 7.  I think I hyped it up way too much in my mind.

It feels too early to kill the night king to me, but in truth, after season 5, I expected it to end season 7 and the whole last season be about the fight for the throne,

The next twist will need to be a good one for the show to end without these final episodes seeming insignificant.

Martin will have the same issue at the end (should he ever actually get there) in that from a strategic point of view they have to defeat the dead first, but after facing that, its hard to worry about who sits in what chair.

13 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'm curious about this. We all know GRRM's "broad strokes" comment and recently he went even further and said "their ending in my ending" but in the aftershow D&D something like "we've known that Arya was going to be the one to do it for three years now." If it was GRRM's ending, shouldn't they have known since they sketched out the series before the show started?