[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

Just now, Anthony Pirtle said:

We made it nearly 3 whole pages before someone started ranting about the feminist agenda.

I'm ranting about the lighting, the half-assed ending and the overall mediocrity of the battle compared to previous ones.

The feminist agenda doesn't bother me that much, I bring it up because I believe it GRRM will do things very differently from D&D.

1 minute ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

We made it nearly 3 whole pages before someone started ranting about the feminist agenda.

I'm happy, actually, with Arya being the princess that was promised.

I just don't like how they handled it, by killing the Night King off so early and making his entire arc feel like a waste of time. Same with Melisandre.

I'm just like, "that's it. All that. And that's it?"

25 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I thought the wights could just sense warm blood, but I guess that's only for the books.

It has certainly never been mentioned in the show. I'm glad I hardly remember anything from the books. I would probably be complaining as much as everyone else seems to be.

As it is, I thought is it was very good.

9 minutes ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

I gave it a 5.   It just didn't feel very fulfilling to me.  A lot of years of buildup for a pretty formulaic/predictible ending.  

As others said,  I thought the darkness/not being able to see a lot of battle scenes and pacing were negatives.  Big problems with the plot - that nobody would have thought about all the dead people in the crypts, or the need to burn the 'friendly' dead if possible.  I would have expected several rings/layers of fire, or oil type traps outside of Winterfell.   As others said - where did Bran go exactly?  Were the crows supposed to make us think he was scouting or luring the Night King in?  In reality, if the army of the dead had any brains, they would be laying siege to Winterfell and starving them out or waiting for fuel for fire to run out.  For show/entertainment purposes, I can let some of those go - but all?  On top of all of this, really only minor characters died - all the main ones survived (not that I wanted to see anyone die - but, what made the great up to this point was the unpredictability.  

What I could see of some of the battle scenes were good.  I rather liked the Theon/Ironborn scenes in the Godswood.  However, I don't think this was better than Blackwater or Castle Black, or even last year's Jaime vs Dany tilt.    

I think in terms of big batles it was clearly the worst. Not only we couldn t see anything but they didn t add ww to the fight so that we could see some duels. It was just mindless zombie killing.

Then the idea of adding the fog in the darkness was awfull. It destroied nearly all the dragon scenes… Even the rhaegal vs viseryion was barely watchable...

And I hated the NK death. We have bran, jon and danny being developed to be important figures in the fight against the dead and the NK is killed by a solo arya that was bragging about wanting to fight the dead in the last ep!??

ps the scene with arya running in the library was just too long...

4 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

I'm curious about this. We all know GRRM's "broad strokes" comment and recently he went even further and said "their ending in my ending" but in the aftershow D&D something like "we've known that Arya was going to be the one to do it for three years now." If it was GRRM's ending, shouldn't they have known since they sketched out the series before the show started? 

They didn't know the ending 3 years ago.  When it became apparent that GRRM wasn't going to finish the books, that the show was relying on for source material, they sat down with GRRM for a few days and went through what GRRM had planned for the ending.

Just now, Krishtotter said:

I just don't like how they handled it, by killing the Night King off so early and making his entire arc feel like a waste of time. Same with Melisandre.

I'm just like, "that's it. All that. And that's it?"

I'm not sure this is something you can blame D&D for, I imagine that the general sequence of events is the same as GRRM's, he said as much three weeks ago when he said that there might be difference "with minor characters." Kiling the NK before  dealing with Cersei is hardly a minor plot.  

I am so disappointed! The myth of the NK, which powered so much mystery, is over.  Dude is dead.  I intend to use 'Rant and Rave", but WHERE did Bran go, and did he have to go now?  Maybe he went to the Avengers movie, cuz that must be better.  Like others have said, Theon had an honorable death, as did Jorah.  Other than that, I am not certain who died because it was so dark.  

The music was beautiful, the lighting horrible.  The plot - I am not certain what the plot was.  I cannot apply a number rating yet, because surely there was something good that I missed.

Also  - Sansa and Tyrion are such cowards.  He at least can use an excuse, but Sansa has nothing, I am really disliking her right about now.  What about the north, indeed.  

Edited by lakin1013
meant to add

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

They didn't know the ending 3 years ago.  When it became apparent that GRRM wasn't going to finish the books, that the show was relying on for source material, they sat down with GRRM for a few days and went through what GRRM had planned for the ending.

So what are you claiming? That they made up this ending before GRRM told them the actual ending or GRRM told them and they got the number of years wrong? Three years ago was when Season 6 aired, so they had already produced a whole season beyond the source material. 

1 minute ago, Lord Godric said:

I'm curious about this. We all know GRRM's "broad strokes" comment and recently he went even further and said "their ending in my ending" but in the aftershow D&D something like "we've known that Arya was going to be the one to do it for three years now." If it was GRRM's ending, shouldn't they have known since they sketched out the series before the show started? 

The know the dead are defeated, probably by killing their leader, but who kills him was probably not done by Martin.

They were told which side won not much more.

Just now, Larger than Average Finger said:

The know the dead are defeated, probably by killing their leader, but who kills him was probably not done by Martin.

They were told which side won not much more.

What do you have to back this up? Like I said, Martin himself said a few weeks ago that "But there may be – on certain secondary characters, there may be big differences.” Suggesting that he told them more than what you're claiming for the major characters. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

I'm not sure this is something you can blame D&D for, I imagine that the general sequence of events is the same as GRRM's, he said as much three weeks ago when he said that there might be difference "with minor characters." Kiling the NK before  dealing with Cersei is hardly a minor plot.  

So after all the build up that other characters had to be important in defeating the dead you are satisfied with arya killing the NK alone? seriously?

Just now, Lord Godric said:

So what are you claiming? That they made up this ending before GRRM told them the actual ending or GRRM told them and they got the number of years wrong? Three years ago was when Season 6 aired, so they had already produced a whole season beyond the source material. 

I'm not claiming anything.  D&D didn't know the entire story when AGOT first started.  The idea was to use the book material as inspiration for the entire show.  When it was clear the source material was going to dry up they sat down and had a series of meetings with GRRM where they went through all the major character arcs and outstanding plot points.

GRRM has confirmed this too by stating he thinks the main characters will end up in the same place in the books and show but that some minor character arcs will be different (e.g. Beric is already long dead in the books).

1 minute ago, Lord Godric said:

What do you have to back this up? Like I said, Martin himself said a few weeks ago that "But there may be – on certain secondary characters, there may be big differences.” Suggesting that he told them more than what you're claiming for the major characters. 

If we are being honest the NK doesn t seem to exist in the books...