[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

5 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

I took it that he was just accepting his fate before the dragon tore him apart, he didn't even raise his sword he just screamed into Viserions face. It was an underwhelming climax for him considering his story arc revolved around the NightKing the most.

His story isn't over, but I agree. I wanted to see him cut Viseryion's head off like Eowen in LotR with the wraith's beast. but it wasn't breathing blue fire at her.  Makes it a little harder.

3 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

His story isn't over, but I agree. I wanted to see him cut Viseryion's head off like Eowen in LotR with the wraith's beast. but it wasn't breathing blue fire at her.  Makes it a little harder.

It would've been so much more satisfying to have Jon cut the head off Viserion a few moments before Arya killed the NightKing so we can say yeah Jon saved countless lives and served a purpose.

Gave it a 5. The music was good, Theon's arch ended decently. Jorah died like a champion, fighting for the living and for her queen. And I'm feeling magnanimous today so I gave a couple + points for free.

The rest was forgetable, and also trying to get what was happening with the picture so dark was annoying, so I keep all it for the R&R thread.

Enjoyed the episode, particularly how they handled Jorah, and Theon and as always I'm enjoying reading people's opinions.  One thing I find particularly humorous is how so many experts on cinematogphy, lighting, and direction, struggle so mightily with adjusting the contrast on their TVs.  I can see it being an issue with other devices but man, I have a custom preset setting for low contrast situations and it worked like a charm.

Agree there is a bit of letdown after years of hearing about the great white menace but it was overall an enjoyable time.

Edited by Captain Slappy

A basic armchair tactician could tell you not to put your catapults there, have more than one fire pit, actually attack the undead trying to breach your fire pit, don't have your Dothraki charge an undead mass, make sure you walls aren't undermanned so they can't just get by them with ease, have your unsullied hold a tighter formation so they don't easily get through your shields. Why the hell aren't you dumping burning pitch onto the undead from your walls?

Who the hell is planning this battle strategy?

Hell basic tactics they used at the Wall against the wildlings would have worked wonders.

Edited by longest night

1 hour ago, darksellsword said:

It would've been so much more satisfying to have Jon cut the head off Viserion a few moments before Arya killed the NightKing so we can say yeah Jon saved countless lives and served a purpose.

Maybe D&D thought that was too "tropey".

Jon did kill a lot of wights, and I'm okay with more focus on the other main characters fighting. Especially the ones we won't be seeing anymore.

48 minutes ago, longest night said:

A basic armchair tactician could tell you not to put your catapults there, have more than one fire pit, actually attack the undead trying to breach your fire pit, don't have your Dothraki charge an undead mass, make sure you walls aren't undermanned so they can't just get by them with ease, have your unsullied hold a tighter formation so they don't easily get through your shields. Why the hell aren't you dumping burning pitch onto the undead from your walls?

Hell basic tactics they used at the Wall against the wildlings would have worked wonders.

Where should the catapults have been?

I was wondering why there weren't more soldiers on the ramparts. But if they were packed someone else would be complaining that there were too many because being swarmed by undead soldiers made it too difficult to get replacements up there.

Heck, I'm a woman and I know burning pitch was a common tactic.

51 minutes ago, Captain Slappy said:

One thing I find particularly humorous is how so many experts on cinematogphy, lighting, and direction, struggle so mightily with adjusting the contrast on their TVs. 

LOL!! :lmao: It was at night, people. If it had been too light, you'd be complaining it was not realistic enough!

Edited by SansaJonRule

1 hour ago, #teamNightking said:

But who didn't see it playing out exactly like this as soon as it was mentioned in a previous season and they (the characters) discussed that when a white walker dies all the dead it has raised die with it? 

And the Night King destroyed by the valyrian steel dagger from season one? 

By Arya, after spending all that time training to be a sneaky assassin? 

It was trending this way. 

I thought all that was leading up to Arya killing Cersei, not the NK. So many people could have been a possibility of course, but I was taken by surprise when Arya jumped him. I loved it!

My husband thinks Melisandre told Arya something that helped her. Did anyone else get that feeling? I didn't think anything of their meet up other than just fulfilling Mel's prediction seasons ago. I'll have to see what I think when we watch it again tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Maybe D&D thought that was too "tropey".

Jon did kill a lot of wights, and I'm okay with more focus on the other main characters fighting. Especially the ones we won't be seeing anymore.

Where should the catapults have been?

I was wondering why there weren't more soldiers on the ramparts. But if they were packed someone else would be complaining that there were too many because being swarmed by undead soldiers made it too difficult to get replacements up there.

Heck, I'm a woman and I know burning pitch was a common tactic.

LOL!! :lmao: It was at night, people. If it had been too light, you'd be complaining it was not realistic enough!

The catapults and trebuchets should be inside the keep. They fired the things once and they were done. 

Edited by longest night

1 hour ago, longest night said:

Yeah, like keep those catapults going! Have multiple walls of fire to get through before even being near the castle. Hell set the whole damn forest alight, at least you could see them coming. 

Dothraki shouldn't have been the first wave, they're on horse that can easily be taken down by the dead. 

It also annoyed me that the wall was not manned. 

Not much organization at all besides 1 trench. I expected some surprise tactics (like Ramseys plans with Battle of the Bastards). Especially with Tyrion and Sansa being there, supposedly being the brains of the operation. 

3 minutes ago, FireWinds said:

Yeah, like keep those catapults going! Have multiple walls of fire to get through before even being near the castle. Hell set the whole damn forest alight, at least you could see them coming. 

Dothraki shouldn't have been the first wave, they're on horse that can easily be taken down by the dead. 

It also annoyed me that the wall was not manned. 

Not much organization at all besides 1 trench. I expected some surprise tactics (like Ramseys plans with Battle of the Bastards). Especially with Tyrion and Sansa being there, supposedly being the brains of the operation. 

The entire ground should have been absolutely covered in pitch all around Winterfell. Set the damn whole undead army on fire. Have lots of archers just raining hell upon them. Screw putting foot soldiers and cavalry against them on open field. They should have used the unsullied to prevent the undead from ever getting past a giant massive burning moat. The Dothraki should have been skirmishing from the sides with bows, kiting them around.

Edited by longest night

8/10

I give this for plot mostly. I was on the edge of my seat. The fight scenes got me though.  Some you couldn't tell who was fighting, who was dying, too dark.

As far as plot, as I said, I loved the suspense. I wasn't upset with Bran but kept thinking we'd get some answers. Maybe we will later? I really liked Mel's scenes and thought they added a lot. Okay, now I'm sorry I liked Arya killing the NK.  When Dany attacked him and he was still there I thought OMG what's gonna kill him so thought the end was still cool.  I'm anxiously awaiting next week.

I gave it a 9, perhaps my colour contrast is better than other peoples, I had no problem watching it. 

Knocked a point off for too much plot armour in places but on the whole it did what it said on the tin. big crazy arsed battle between ice zombies and dragons. 

People have mentioned Hardhome and the battle of Pelennor Fields but these battles ended with unresolved dramatic tension. These were battles that ratcheded up the tension on the protagonists. The battle at the end of Deathly Hallows and the battle before the Black Gate are the kind of plot resolving battles and those can easily be argued to have ex machina contrivances. I think people had crazy, unrealistic expectations of what could have happened. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions. 

Possibly they could have built tension round Arya seeking up on the Night's King, but then there would be people moaning the ending was telegraphed etc etc. 

Every main character and half the side characters live. Why? Because they somehow can fight off hundreds over a long period of time while earlier the dead just walked on everyone. Your battle plan was to have Dothraki charge off into the black night to attack an army they couldn't see? That's the battle plan? &$#@ off. Dany flies around aimlessly over the course the whole battle? Why? What are you doing? That's essentially hours of time. Jon even landed at the castle and sat there on the dragon staring at everyone dying while Mel walked out in slow motion to light the trench. You have a dragon, &$#@ face. Light the trench. Good thing Dany not only landed for no reason after predictably saving Jon but then she stayed on the ground and even once a hundred dead bodies jumped on the dragon she still didn't take off. She just looked around in horrified confusion until she rolled off the dragon. By the way, she was super glued to the dragon through how many seasons and THAT'S what knocks her off. Where the &$#@ did Jon's dragon even go? The half-a-face dragon came back. And good thing Drogon lived so that we still have a dragon. Nice of him to land right after Jorah died.

It's classic tv trope after tv trope with forced peril through illogical events and then the inevitable save.

That actively upset me. They spent HALF the time destroying the great threat (that was hyped for 7+ seasons as they did on hellos and goodbyes.

Great cinematography, though.

6 minutes ago, ferrelhadley said:

And where would they have gotten that much pitch. What happens about 30 minutes later when its burnt out. 

That’s fair but it’s still insane that they met them in an open field. I had honestly forgotten about Valeriyan steel not permakilling the wights so I guess I didn’t think of it. If they did go the burning route (without Mel’s help that is) the army of the dead could have just waited for the fires to die down, or just sacrificed themselves until it was smothered if the fires were low enough. As another poster mentioned, they could have starved then out as well. 

Edited by Snormund