[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

6/10

Even when I am past caring and the writing still manages to disappoint me. Nice emoting from actors, Cgi is decent, though tension becomes boring at the point, most of the characters that die are minor and they didn't have much of a story arc anymore. There is lot of moronic tactic by the living especially Dothraki charge into their deaths.

Too much of use of zombies, not much of White Walkers,  Night King also dies like a wuss.

Edited by Eltharion21

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

He represents death and evil. Why not wanting him dead?! You are having fun with us?

Arya's arc makes a lot of sense. Don't be a hater.

I think a lot of us were hoping for a deeper story than NK is "pure evil, death and darkness" and some of the symbolism making sense. That perhaps he wasn't PURE evil, maybe there was a pact that was broken and he was coming to make good on it?

Nah, he's "pure evil" and he loses. It's just so simple and bland.

The white walkers not doing anything was sort of a let down too. I feel like the writers just wanted to surprise viewers but I was hoping for more.

With 3 episodes left, there is not really a big twist with the end in my opinion.

It's just hard to care about Cersei, what can be harder than what they just experienced? 

In the reality they created, the two dragons should mow down the Golden Company while Arya assassinates Euron and Cersei...end of story.

1 minute ago, AryaWaifMe said:

I think a lot of us were hoping for a deeper story than NK is "pure evil, death and darkness" and some of the symbolism making sense. That perhaps he wasn't PURE evil, maybe there was a pact that was broken and he was coming to make good on it?

Well, I even agree with that one. I was hoping for some kind of neutralization of Bran and Nightking or of a deal with the Children of the Forest, a kind of deliverance from being the Nightking or whatever.

I agree, he attacks, he loses, he shatters. That's it. It's a little bit hollow and "too easy", no matter who died.

On the other hand a quote like "he was my man" was somehow weird anyway. The Nightking might have been a victim to the Children who created him. After that he mass murdered humans and was the clear enemy here. 

In E2 Bran made clear that the Nightking want the endless night. From that on I believed in him dying in E3.

3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Well, I even agree with that one. I was hoping for some kind of neutralization of Bran and Nightking or of a deal with the Children of the Forest, a kind of deliverance from being the Nightking or whatever.

I agree, he attacks, he loses, he shatters. That's it. It's a little bit hollow and "too easy", no matter who died.

On the other hand a quote like "he was my man" was somehow weird anyway. The Nightking might have been a victim to the Children who created him. After that he mass murdered humans and was the clear enemy here. 

In E2 Bran made clear that the Nightking want the endless night. From that on I believed in him dying in E3.

If they HAVE to have her kill him (which I didn't love) from a suspense standpoint, they should of held Arya off for 3 more seconds. At least let the NK draw his sword, or better yet even let Bran get cut or grazed. The night king was frozen for awhile staring at Bran and I was just focused on him to see what happens, didn't even feel suspenseful or worried for Bran or anything. He just got KO'd almost instantly, for a split second I thought Arya will die and take him down too. Nope.

NK 0 HP

Arya 90% HP

Bran 100% HP

Edited by AryaWaifMe

1 minute ago, AryaWaifMe said:

From a suspense standpoint, they should of held Arya off for 3 more seconds. At least let the NK draw his sword, or better yet even let Bran get cut or grazed.

Yeah, I see your point.

Watching the scene the first time, the very short Arya combat was full of suspension, though. The quickness was surprising, but it was a good surprise. We had seen so many fighting scenes that a simple stab feels well at the moment.

Bran should've been endangered a bit more. Theon should have the NK come closer, fight him, lose, Brean in great danger... something like that.

Just now, Kajjo said:

Yeah, I see your point.

Watching the scene the first time, the very short Arya combat was full of suspension, though. The quickness was surprising, but it was a good surprise. We had seen so many fighting scenes that a simple stab feels well at the moment.

Bran should've been endangered a bit more. Theon should have the NK come closer, fight him, lose, Brean in great danger... something like that.

From an episode standpoint...I Loved the episode in general. I think they did a great job, I felt emotionally tired when it was all done. From a  contextual standpoint reviewing what happened and what we have watched for 8 seasons, I was left with a slight feeling of being robbed. I think that the writers are on their own without GRMM is showing. I will watch the last episodes happily and probably enjoy them, but I still might come on the internet to bitch about it not being how I wanted.

Also I agree, after seeing the Dothraki pointlessly charge and get completely decimated I thought it was funny Theon did the same thing. At least let the NK make a move...THEN charge. 

Oh well, what can you do. After reading many good theories I think there is a lot of potential writers out there that will never be seen or heard or read in the mass media and that's a shame. I swear some of the people on reddit could quit their day jobs and take some of the writers' jobs.

I think at least one of the Starks should have taken one for the team. None of them really make a major sacrifice here. Arya might have been the best suited to kill the Night King with her abilities, but I didn’t feel like it was something her arc had built towards. 

It was a bit cruel to kill all the Mormonts.

I'm legitimately surprised that so many people liked this episode.  Not only was it virtually unwatchable due to the darkness level, but the way the NK story was resolved gives no pay off for the past 8 years, there is no importance of magic, it fails, no importance of dragons, no importance of Jon's parents, nothing.  Some of the scenes were good and some of the visuals were good, but most of it was too dark to see and still some strange choices.  Why didn't Theon make his last stand by Bran, instead of a suicide charge?  Why didn't Mel leave a message for the future or something? And there is still now half of the season left and the big bad has been killed off.  I found it very disappointing even given my low expectations.

As a show it was good, as a script was a failure so I would give it a six. Knowing all the effort it took to shoot this (actors and personnel), they deserve a credit, but overall the result was a bit inferior to the expectations. 

Edited by Nightwish

2 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

It's funny. I feel like her entire arc makes sense towards this. 

Why else all the time spent spent training to be a super faceless woman assassin? 

And the Chekhov's gun dagger was in her possession. 

It just steals another's character arc, Arya killing NK is like...

John killing the Frey's

Tyrion Killing the Boltons...

Dany Killing Littlefinger...

Sansa killing the Waif and so on...

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm legitimately surprised that so many people liked this episode.  Not only was it virtually unwatchable due to the darkness level, but the way the NK story was resolved gives no pay off for the past 8 years, there is no importance of magic, it fails, no importance of dragons, no importance of Jon's parents, nothing.  Some of the scenes were good and some of the visuals were good, but most of it was too dark to see and still some strange choices.  Why didn't Theon make his last stand by Bran, instead of a suicide charge?  Why didn't Mel leave a message for the future or something? And there is still now half of the season left and the big bad has been killed off.  I found it very disappointing even given my low expectations.

I think there are a lot of mixed feelings.  To me it sounds like a lot of people were wowed by the visuals (what they could make out, ha ha) and after a few days or weeks time, the shine might come off a bit.  There was definitely a lot that was problematic.  I'm hoping some of the holes will be explained (like what Bran was doing).  Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, this episode may look worse in hindsight. 

1 minute ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I think there are a lot of mixed feelings.  To me it sounds like a lot of people were wowed by the visuals (what they could make out, ha ha) and after a few days or weeks time, the shine might come off a bit.  There was definitely a lot that was problematic.  I'm hoping some of the holes will be explained (like what Bran was doing).  Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, this episode may look worse in hindsight. 

It could look worse or better.  If Dr. Branhatten has some type of expository explanation of the NK, and what happened, beyond the stupid line of killing human memory, that could at least close the loop, but given the show's tendencies, I would doubt it.  But, it's straight up insane to spend months filming at night and the final product is almost unwatchable due to lack of lighting, it's entertainment after all, not a documentary trying to show us 'reality'.

This episode gets a 2.10 from me. 

We didn't get Main Character deaths (Jorah, Edd, , Beric, Lyanna and Theon are side characters at best). For plot convienence, if you kill Jorah, you at least should kill off one major Jon supporter. 

NK is immune to Dragonfire, but can be killed by a Valyrian Steel Dagger, which is forged in Dragon Fire (As such, he should be immune to it). This major detail has basically destroyed the whole episode for me. 

I  give it 8/10. I take out the two points for 1) characters still repeating lines from previous episode; 2) for the majority of episode I didn't know what was going on, like who is there, why and so on; 3) uncertain deaths of several characters; 4) logical lapses

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

A lot of people did love the episode, but a lot of people hated it as well, for various reasons. I happen to be in the former and loved it. I, personally, had no problem with the lighting, and I’ve never felt so stressed while watching an episode of any television show. I certainly understand the complaints, especially if you’re a Jon fan or if you expected the Night King to be the final antagonist. I did too, until I really thought about it. They had gathered the biggest army Westeros had ever seen, had armed that army with as much dragon glass and wight/White Walker killing weapons that they could find, and had two dragons at their disposal. Winterfell was the perfect place for the living to make their final stand. I’m not sure how a retreat would have worked without the dead catching up with them.

It also doesn’t hurt that Arya is my favorite character.

13 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

A lot of people did love the episode, but a lot of people hated it as well, for various reasons. I happen to be in the former and loved it. I, personally, had no problem with the lighting, and I’ve never felt so stressed while watching an episode of any television show. I certainly understand the complaints, especially if you’re a Jon fan or if you expected the Night King to be the final antagonist. I did too, until I really thought about it. They had gathered the biggest army Westeros had ever seen, had armed that army with as much dragon glass and wight/White Walker killing weapons that they could find, and had two dragons at their disposal. Winterfell was the perfect place for the living to make their final stand. I’m not sure how a retreat would have worked without the dead catching up with them.

It also doesn’t hurt that Arya is my favorite character.

She's my favorite character, too, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize how her killing the NK destroys everything in the show  about prophecy and magic and fire and ice.