[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm legitimately surprised that so many people liked this episode.  Not only was it virtually unwatchable due to the darkness level, but the way the NK story was resolved gives no pay off for the past 8 years, there is no importance of magic, it fails, no importance of dragons, no importance of Jon's parents, nothing.  Some of the scenes were good and some of the visuals were good, but most of it was too dark to see and still some strange choices.  Why didn't Theon make his last stand by Bran, instead of a suicide charge?  Why didn't Mel leave a message for the future or something? And there is still now half of the season left and the big bad has been killed off.  I found it very disappointing even given my low expectations.

This. It was just so...asinine.

but the way the NK story was resolved gives no pay off for the past 8 years

I believe it to be a misunderstanding that the last 8 years were just about the Nightking. We had eight years of suspension, entertainment and speculation about intrigues, plots, battles, relationsships. Game of Thrones is about emotions and many parallel threads, all of them interesting and everyone can have their preferences.

there is no importance of magic, it fails, no importance of dragons, no importance of Jon's parents, nothing

The dragons were important, but anyway there was a time were dragons just existed, many of them, whole dynasties, thousands of years. Dragons are part of the weaponry here, but not essential to the story of "life against Death" itself.

Jon parentage appears not to be important for the Great War, that's true. Maybe ist is just important for the Game of Thrones, the competition for the Iron throne. No that Life has defeated Death, the common problems continue, the human will continue to fight for the throne. That's a nice lecture: Winning against Death does sole everyday problems. 

Why didn't Theon make his last stand by Bran, instead of a suicide charge?  Why didn't Mel leave a message for the future or something?

Yes, Theon's reaction was stupid. This closes his arc of messing up his whole life by stupid decisions. This was his last bad choice he made.

Melisandre is not that important. Why should she leave a message? What content? There are more than enough Red Priests of the Lord of Light around.

And there is still now half of the season left and the big bad has been killed off. 

Honestly, I like that very much so. I hate this stupid "big boss" battles and immediately afterwards "they lived happy ever after" with the closing credits rolling. 

No, they won the Great War, the life continues. The next enemy is lurking. 

As far as TV series go I gave it a 7. Great battle sequence and CGI but a little dark. I was excited throughout and thought "Yay Arya" at the end. However, as the end credits rolled the despair began to sink in. 20 years invested in the series and no prophecy was fulfilled. This episode was for the masses and not the fans. I pray we get the full story from Martin soon but for now all I feel is disappointed in what could have been.

It was a big steaming pile of D&D manure.  I wonder what would have happened  with this show, had Bryan Cogman been the main showrunner?! I remember GRRM saying when LOST ended, how it felt like someone took a dump on his front porch. Heheh. The two hacks are shitting left and right with their interpretation of HIS story. 

16 hours ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

Oh come on. She has zero value on a battlefield. She'd just have been someone other people had to die to keep alive.

She could have helped her people that were in the crypt with her. She was 10 times the leader at Blackwater than she was here moaning about Dany and calling everyone useless.

27 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

It was a big steaming pile of D&D manure.  I wonder what would have happened  with this show, had Bryan Cogman been the main showrunner?! I remember GRRM saying when LOST ended, how it felt like someone took a dump on his front porch. Heheh. The two hacks are shitting left and right with their interpretation of HIS story. 

31 minutes ago, goshi said:

As far as TV series go I gave it a 7. Great battle sequence and CGI but a little dark. I was excited throughout and thought "Yay Arya" at the end. However, as the end credits rolled the despair began to sink in. 20 years invested in the series and no prophecy was fulfilled. This episode was for the masses and not the fans. I pray we get the full story from Martin soon but for now all I feel is disappointed in what could have been.

Yeah, I completely agree with both of you (and I accidentally quoted you in the wrong order but whatever). It was a super weird and random ending and basically no prophecy that came true whatsoever, Arya was a very random choice, we should have learnt some last secret or twist about the white walkers or House Stark or something, but it was just an easy ending and now the white walkers are all gone - probably forever. So they didn't really learn anything, there were no old Stark secrets, and no special twist about the white walkers' motives or a great fundamental lesson about life and death - just an anonymous enemy defeated and then on to the political game again. Absolute bullshit. The worst thing is the fact that now the very very biggest thing of the entire series is over and Cersei is supposed to be even more hard to defeat... or what? Why the hell do they save Cersei for last? Really strange, this undermines the conflict of life and death in favour of the political game, which is truly a shame.

I suppose that a lot of people liked the episode simply because everyone survived or simply because they defeated the Night King. People would probably have liked it no matter what happened, since noone wants to dislike this great finale either. One chooses to like it - or tells oneself that it was good - and then it's done, because one does not want to be upset at it.

Edited by Adam Targaryen

14 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

I suppose that a lot of people liked the episode simply because everyone survived or simply because they defeated the Night King. People would probably have liked it no matter what happened, since noone wants to dislike this great finale either. One chooses to like it - or tells oneself that it was good - and then it's done, because one does not want to be upset at it.

Or people simply have different opinions than you. I don’t convince myself to like shows. I either like them or I don’t. That’s why I stopped watching shows like The Walking Dead, American Gods, Westworld, Better Call Saul, etc. If I felt like GOT’s quality has suffered, I would have stopped watching it too. But I didn’t, because it’s still amazing and my favorite television show.

6 hours ago, Kajjo said:

He represents death and evil. Why not wanting him dead?! You are having fun with us?

Arya's arc makes a lot of sense. Don't be a hater.

The humans in this show have committed far nastier acts than the walkers have - just saying something represents death does no make it evil or scary, or even unlikeable. Old age represents death but there are way too many aged humans sucking up recourses ATM - what is really bad in a pragmatic sense? This show was thoughtful, nuanced and logical, a the start.

Explain to me how Arya became no.one by embracing her Arya personality whilst in training to be no-one? Explain how she was possibly forgiven by Jaquen for failing at her training 3 times in a row? Explain how she beat the waif? Her character is at best a nonsensical assassin and at worst a non deserving little brat who attained knowledge without any discipline.

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm legitimately surprised that so many people liked this episode.  Not only was it virtually unwatchable due to the darkness level, but the way the NK story was resolved gives no pay off for the past 8 years, there is no importance of magic, it fails, no importance of dragons, no importance of Jon's parents, nothing.  Some of the scenes were good and some of the visuals were good, but most of it was too dark to see and still some strange choices.  Why didn't Theon make his last stand by Bran, instead of a suicide charge?  Why didn't Mel leave a message for the future or something? And there is still now half of the season left and the big bad has been killed off.  I found it very disappointing even given my low expectations.

It’s sad.

Modern audiences by and large don’t tend to care much for substance. Even if absolutely nothing that is happening makes any sort of sense, so long as it looks cool that’s all they care about. Everything’s surface, there’s no depth. Obviously it’s not a universal truth but broadly speaking I’d say it’s pretty accurate. 

Edit— in this case it didn’t even look that cool. You had to work just to see what was going on since everything was so damn dark.

Edited by UnViserion
Blah

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I mostly agree.  The only quibble I have (and believe me it's a tiny one) is that Theon knew he was doomed, so he was just rushing toward death, a death he felt he deserved and probably longed for.

I'd rate it a 3/10.  And I'm not sure how I can justify the three points.  Maybe because I sort of liked the way all the wights just collapsed as soon as NK was killed, and the scene with Arya eluding the WWs in the library or wherever the hell that was.   :dunno:    And it was SOO DAMN DARK.  That's a well-worn and well-known way of disguising that your FX aren't that great.  I couldn't tell if both the "good" dragons survived or WTF happened.   But it doesn't matter anyway, because if your story doesn't support them, all the FX in the world is just going to be window dressing.

20 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I would have given it less than a 1 if allowed.  This show is so aggressively dumb.  It’s become an absolute travesty of the source material.

There is no source material. There's an outline or some musings of GRRM at best.

20 hours ago, Krishtotter said:

I thought it was Rhaegal at the end?

Perhaps it was Drogon, I couldn't really see it well.

I don't think either living dragon died. They were seriously injured, but we didn't see any die.

As for the darkness and inability to see anything, I thought it was perfect. It's not called the fog of war for nothing. Besides, that's how the army of the dead fights. The Others bring the cold with them, or attack when it gets cold.

I'm amazed at how many people here thought that what they went through was easy. Except for a few main characters, they lost pretty much their entire army, and nobody came out of that uninjured. Now, they have to face another army: one that isn't slavishly bound to the will of their creator but one where each person can think and act for themselves.

If, for example, Arya pops out of a cardboard box and spinning ninja-kills Cersei in the middle of the fighting, the rest of the Iron Throne's army will continue to fight, and likely win given the odds. The best thing the survivors can do now is seal the Neck (Howland Reed will be happy to oblige, and bear witness to Jon's claim to the throne), ignore the southern half of Westeros with their silly politics, and rebuild the North. After a decade, they might have enough power to press for the Iron Throne while Cersei mismanages her half of the continent.

16 minutes ago, Talking Hodor said:

I also don't think Daenerys is going to turn into an evil character. She was altruistic and had Jon's back the entire time. She even did a little fighting herself to help out her friend Jorah at the end.

To be fair, she was saving her own neck. Her going all 'mad king' is just about the only source of narrative tension left in the story, with a bit of Lannnisterlads v Cercei on the side.

We didn't see clearly, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's less than 100 fighters left from the battle of Winterfell. Even if there are any willing men down in Riverrun or somewhere, they definitely can't take on Cercei with human troops. I suspect the 2 dragons are too injured to be much use at the moment, otherwise it would be too easy to just fly them in to wipe out the Company and Euron's fleet.

Edited by House Cambodia

22 minutes ago, Talking Hodor said:

I also don't think Daenerys is going to turn into an evil character. She was altruistic and had Jon's back the entire time. She even did a little fighting herself to help out her friend Jorah at the end.

Where else is there to go with the story? Three episode of Cersei? The vision of Daenerys of the throne room is still a giant elephant in the room and now we know it has nothing to do with the Others invading King's Landing. There's Bran's visions of Drogon flying over a smoking King's Landing as well.