[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

1 hour ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Don't bother. IMDB is garbage when it comes to ratings.

Plus GOT on FB has been deleting a lot of negative comments and criticism. I wouldn't hold it against them if they had anything to do with that as well.It's clear that there is a damage control going on with this episode.

Of course there is, they are getting themselves all these interviews as an excuse to give explanations. As if it was explicable. As if they had any credit left. As if it changed what a shitshow they’ve written. And poor actors are left to promote this pile of giant dung - which I presume they are contractually obliged to do. Poor Emilia Clarke was like, episode 5 is bigger. That in itself is just an indicator of how bad the show is, nothing, absolutely nothing should be bigger than defeating the Night King. well whatever. 

Just now, ummester said:

Is this the most divisive ratings for an episode ever? Even 706 (the atrocious Zombie hunt episode) didn't have votes cluster around the extremes like this episode has.

There is no good reason for this episode to be devise.

6 minutes ago, divica said:

There is no good reason for this episode to be devise.

Sure, the NK had more fans, like me, that are sad to see their heroes demise. The King is dead - long unlive the King!

But serious, yea, I get why it is so divisive. It is exactly like The Last Jedi, which was extremely divisive. It is subversion without earning it and without satisfying payoff - it is the narrative version of a jump scare. And everyone who likes horror knows that jump scares, whilst they can be effective in the moment, are dumb.

It was disappointing. Not good thinking on the battle playing out re the Dothraki pointless waste of cavalry or the Night King gloating his way to death like a template from c grade movie. That was a letdown. Now it's just get to the end. They failed to deliver in this episode and this may spell an ending that doesn't live up to the series.

Was it dark? Yes (but I watched it again with the brightness turned up on my t.v., and that was much better.)  Were the military tactics and strategy abysmal?  Yes, I daresay they were.   Did certain characters have plot armor about 2 feet thick (Brienne, Gendry, Jaime, others)? YES.

But when the music really slowed down, and the Night King was closing in on Bran, and the other characters were so close to getting crossed off, but then ARYA CROSSED OFF THE NIGHT KING, it was the single greatest moment ever on the show for me.  I loved it, and it brought the episode all the way up in my mind from a 6 or 7 (where it had been hovering) to a rock solid 10.

P.S.  The death of Lyanna Mormont was devastating, right up there with what happened to Shireen.  I'll be scarred and traumatized by that forever, I think. 

26 minutes ago, Cron said:

Was it dark? Yes (but I watched it again with the brightness turned up on my t.v., and that was much better.)  Were the military tactics and strategy abysmal?  Yes, I daresay they were.   Did certain characters have plot armor about 2 feet thick (Brienne, Gendry, Jaime, others)? YES.

But when the music really slowed down, and the Night King was closing in on Bran, and the other characters were so close to getting crossed off, but then ARYA CROSSED OFF THE NIGHT KING, it was the single greatest moment ever on the show for me.  I loved it, and it brought the episode all the way up in my mind from a 6 or 7 (where it had been hovering) to a rock solid 10.

P.S.  The death of Lyanna Mormont was devastating, right up there with what happened to Shireen.  I'll be scarred and traumatized by that forever, I think. 

You acknowledged so many BIG problems, yet still gave it a 10?  If the problems were not there what would you have rated it?

A “10” is reserved for an episode like “Blackwater”.  You are saying this episode is as good as that.

Please, I’m begging - CAN ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT RATED THIS EPISODE A “10” PLEASE HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE AND, MAYBE, A LITTLE MEMORY AS TO HOW GOOD THIS SHOW USED TO BE???

FFS

2 hours ago, ummester said:

Sure, the NK had more fans, like me, that are sad to see their heroes demise. The King is dead - long unlive the King!

I was rooting for the NK too, even after they turned him into the biggest weak spot of the undead army in season 7. I even thought that a lot of the contrived stuff in 7x06 was going to be explained by him having greenseer powers, and that he was taking very specific steps to ensure that this would end up becoming the future in which he won. In that scenario, Bran would play an essential role in his defeat, but the living would only come out on top after a long and bloody war that would have devastated most of Westeros.

But then this episode comes along, and the otherwise competent NK turns into a moron who needlessly exposes himself, and who couldn’t even foresee his own demise. And all the Branbot did  was notify the living about the breech in the Wall somewhat earlier than a raven would have, and hand a Valyrian steel dagger over to Wolverine (not essential as she probably would have picked up a dragonglass dagger anyway). Edit: he also acted like bait because the NK really hates the GOT Wiki. Meh.

This is the first episode I’ve ever rated 1/10. Sure there are a few nice scenes, like the WWs conjuring up a storm or Jorah’s passing, but other than that, the episode was just a complete clusterfuck that managed to kill off what little interest I still had left in this show. Shame.

Edited by Einheri

1 hour ago, Just a Cat said:

the Night King gloating his way to death like a template from c grade movie.

Maybe it's just me but the way they did the Night King's makeup when he grinned and/or smirked he looked kinda like a cartoon character or clown or something. Not terrifying, but rather a little goofy. Maybe it's me. 

26 minutes ago, Table8 said:

You acknowledged so many BIG problems, yet still gave it a 10?  If the problems were not there what would you have rated it?

A “10” is reserved for an episode like “Blackwater”.  You are saying this episode is as good as that.

Please, I’m begging - CAN ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT RATED THIS EPISODE A “10” PLEASE HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE AND, MAYBE, A LITTLE MEMORY AS TO HOW GOOD THIS SHOW USED TO BE???

FFS

Sure, I hear you about there being flaws.

In fact, I went out of my way to describe them, AND mention that for me the grade was hovering around a 6 or 7 until...KABOOM, the last 10 minutes or so were just flat out awesome.

In fact, they were SO awesome that for me, the other flaws just melted away, and really didn't much matter for my final grade, especially since:

(1) The darkness was a major gripe I had, but then I turned up the brightness and watched again, and it was much better.  Maybe some of the other people griping about the darkness should...turn up the brightness on whatever device they are watching on and watch it again, too?  Maybe.

(2) Sure, their tactics were terrible, but WHO is supposed to be the great military mind here anyway??  Dany??  She has no background in that.  Sure, she's been in fights, but military tactics and strategy?? Naw.   Jaime?? Nope.  He was a great fighter, but no great military mind, ever.  Tyrion?? Practically zero background in that area.  Jon??  Nope.  Not only does he have no background in that area, but we've seen him make huge tactical mistakes and blunders before, most notably in the very popular "Battle of the Bastards."  Davos?  Naw, not really.   He's called the Onion Knight, but he has no real military background.  Jorah?  Maybe, but again, he's a great fighter with very little if any strategy experience or training, so far as I know.  Varys? Nope.  Missandei?  Nope.  Grey Worm?  Maybe.  We've seen him show some good stuff in this area before, but that doesn't mean he'd be a good pick for planning something like this on such short notice, and even then it's not really clear how much (if any) "command" training he was given., if any.  Lyanna Mormont?  Nope.  Sandor, Arya, Tormund, Brienne????  Nope, nope, nope, nope,  just more great fighters or warriors with little to no background or training in military tactics or strategy, so far as I know.  So, who is the great military genius that I'm overlooking in this group that was supposed to put together a great battle plan, especially on such short notice? Gendry? Nope.  Melisandre? Nooe. Beric? Nope.

(3) Regarding the plot armor for many of them (most notably Brienne, Jaime, Gendry and others).  Did I like the plot armor? NO. Can I accept it? Sure, I basically have no choice, cuz that's the way it's gonna be in fiction (books and movies), and that's how it has already been in this show AND in other ultra-classic fantasy fiction.  (Indeed, Lord of the Rings has PLENTY of this stuff.  Ever see The Two Towers?  Wow.)

So, yeah, these are all flaws, and I acknowledged them, but then that ending of Episode 3 was simply epic and awesome to me, and that took it up to a 10.

Next, I would note that grading episodes is highly subjective and, in my opinion, often reflects the personality and outlook on life of the grader.  Some people are pessimistic by nature, and are going to focus on the stuff they didn't like to the near-exclusion of everything else.  There are people in this world who, if they see something 97% good and 3% bad, are going to lock in on the bad 3% and declare that the whole thing sucks.  I guarantee you that there are such people in this world. 

On the other hand, some people tend to be more positive and optimistic in life, and tend to focus on the good things, and I think I'm generally one of those people.  Did I see flaws? Yes, I listed them in my post above this post. But then the ending was just a grand slam, totally knocked it out of the park, and THAT is what left a lasting impression on me, and that is what I'll remember this episode for.

Finally, I would note that some people, in my opinion, are just predisposed to dislike this episode because it was The Big Showdown With The Night King (my words) and their favorite character(s) didn't have the spotlight as they have been predicting and/or fervently hoping for years would happen, and they are deeply disappointed by that.  But how many people do you know who say Arya is their favorite character, yet still hated this episode?  I'm guessing "not many." (For me, Arya is one of my favorite characters, certainly top 3 to 5, but I don't think I could say who would rank #1 for me.)

2 hours ago, Einheri said:

This is the first episode I’ve ever rated 1/10. Sure there are a few nice scenes, like the WWs conjuring up a storm or Jorah’s passing, but other than that, the episode was just a complete clusterfuck that managed to kill off what little interest I still had left in this show. Shame.

I feel much the same - it is the first episode I gave a 1 also. Even the Sand Snakes, Waifenator and Zombie capture team didn't get a 1 from me - but this did.

I've been lowering my expectations since the show went ahead of the books. I really didn't like season 7 as a whole and I'm pretty disappointed regarding Season 8, Episode 3. So lets start with the good stuff.. The visuality was amazing and fairly well done. Yes, it was pretty dark but I still managed to see everything and it fits the overall atmosphere. However, I really didn't like the story. Imo, we've been prepared for the White Walkers and them being the real danger in Westeros since season 1, Episode 1, first scene. From my point of view, the whole story about the throne was never that important. When the Death is coming for everyone, an iron chair doesn't matter. There is a funny meme around showing the Night King in a subway, reading newspaper and such. Line: "Waiting for the "main" characters to finish their plot.. That's always how I saw it too. It might be my mistake but at the end, I cared much more about the White Walkers than about the stupid throne. It should be destroyed. Anyway, since it was announced to be the biggest and most devastating battle in TV history, they set the expectations very high. I'm not saying the Night King should have won at all - even though I would have liked it ^^ - but I'm saying GoT is lacking drama meanwhile. Killing him in the first episode of season 8 is just bad. All the build up for ~8 years just to stab him in the back the first time he's in a battle? Man, that was lame. It feels like Hollywood meanwhile to be honest. All the last minute saves, an "epic" ending, numerous deaths of minions we don't even know and a forced plot. I mean GoT used to be better than that. Remember the Red Wedding for example? Not a single major character died. No, I don't view Jorah as a major character. One of the Targaryens should have died imo. Characters like Brienne, Jaime, Grey Worm and others survive against all odds when soldiers die like they are nothing. Which makes sense against thousands of Undead.. But again, it was lacking drama and overall, it felt unrealistic - as far as you can tell in fantasy - and anti-climatic. There are so many unanswered questions about the Night King, Bran, the White Walkers as a whole etc. I feel like they rushed it since there are only six episodes. If you view it logically, the plot doesn't make sense. The Night King is more than 8k years old. He showed patience and should know better. Just wait til the wights kill everyone and hey, how about the WW Generals do.. something? That was lame as well. They were useless. I understand they can't just kill everyone and let the Night King win but I need a good explanation then. Night King just walking in in the middle of the battle and being stabbed in the back is just odd. That's it? Wow. I'm not even going to bitch about how Arya managed to cross.. everyone and why the Night King didn't just break her neck immediately. Plot armor? Bad writing then. As you can tell I was on the Night Kings side just because the "main" characters mostly annoy me meanwhile. Not everyone but for example, both Targaryens. At the end we have two destroyed "armies" but pretty much every character we know survived against all odds. Boring. WW's should have been the endgame and not Cersei. I think the Night King deserved better and defo more screentime. Brans arc about the Night King, the three-eyed Raven etc. feels a bit pointless now. I guess I would have an easier time with the third episode if the payoff would have been higher but since it wasn't, I'm just disappointed. They pretty much wasted the Night King and the whole White Walker plot they've been building for eight seasons and that sucks. They hyped up the Night King for seasons upon seasons, years upon years and then he goes out like THAT? There's just no way. Too many clichés, too much Hollywood, not enough drama and way too many unlogical scenes and outcomes. It's not how the show used to be. Not the show I used to enjoy a lot. 

This episode was so horrendous, so absolutely disgusting, and after 8 seasons of buildup so soul-crushingly anticlimactic – that I was inspired to make an account here and start to read the books. Almost every single second of this episode was a complete disaster. If there was a rating below 1 I would have given it that. I used to think nothing could top Battlestar Galactica's terrible ending, yet here were are. I truly don't see how anything could top this though. You have to almost purposely sabotage a show for it to get this bad. I mean the show's been going downhill for seasons now, and especially from season 5 onward (though there were earlier troubling things), but it still had some enjoyment left in it. Now there is nothing. I am not even going to bother watching the final 3 episodes because I don't give a crap about the show at all anymore. It's time to start reading A Song of Ice and Fire and to wait for George R. R. Martin to finish the story properly.

3 hours ago, Orleans said:

WW's should have been the endgame and not Cersei.

Actually, it makes sense to sort out who gets to sit on that iron chair after the Others have been defeated. I fully expect GRRM to finish the books like that (if he ever does). It would be the ASOIAF version of the Scouring of the Shire. Whether it's Cersei who is in control of Kings Landing is another matter. But the writers have been a Lannister fan club from day one.

8 minutes ago, Loge said:

It would be the ASOIAF version of the Scouring of the Shire.

Well that's the thing - GRRM has always tried to distance himself from LOTR and wouldn't want to finish on something too derivative of it. We know he's going for a 'bittersweet ending', but not like that one!