[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

Honestly, were the visuals really that good ?

As someone who loves ''every frame a painting'', I thought the visuals and directing was a bit...disappointing. Darkness aside, there were way too many shaky cuts that took you out of it just as you were being immersed. Then we have the blizzard scene and that was where the shaky, cut style totally made you go ''I have no clue what's going on here''. Which is never a good thing. The only gorgeous visual point was when the dragons went above the clouds. The director had done some great stuff with Hardhome AND ESPECIALLY Battle of the Bastards. But I feel like trying to be the ''longest battle'' in tv and movie history kind of made them sacrifice a lot more in terms of directing. Battle of the Bastards was exceptional because the direction was on point, one long shot after the other, with a wide and steady view. It was exceptional. The Long Night is the exact opposite in every way. The worst part about the directing, was the constant shaky cuts bar none.  It's like spinning your head around constantly trying to read a letter. The darkness made things even worse. Ironic that they always referred to Helms Deep but never once sat down and watched what it was that made Helms Deep really so good.

Just now, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Then we have the blizzard scene and that was where the shaky, cut style totally made you go ''I have no clue what's going on here''. Which is never a good thing

Except it kind of is as they were deliberately going for an effect that simulates the fog of war. They did it well in Battle of the Bastards, but I do agree that it was a bit of a pointless extravagance to spend the biggest budget in TV history on one episode just to show us that no one knows what's going on.

2 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Honestly, were the visuals really that good ?

As someone who loves ''every frame a painting'', I thought the visuals and directing was a bit...disappointing. Darkness aside, there were way too many shaky cuts that took you out of it just as you were being immersed. Then we have the blizzard scene and that was where the shaky, cut style totally made you go ''I have no clue what's going on here''. Which is never a good thing. The only gorgeous visual point was when the dragons went above the clouds. The director had done some great stuff with Hardhome AND ESPECIALLY Battle of the Bastards. But I feel like trying to be the ''longest battle'' in tv and movie history kind of made them sacrifice a lot more in terms of directing. Battle of the Bastards was exceptional because the direction was on point, one long shot after the other, with a wide and steady view. It was exceptional. The Long Night is the exact opposite in every way. The worst part about the directing, was the constant shaky cuts bar none.  It's like spinning your head around constantly trying to read a letter. The darkness made things even worse. Ironic that they always referred to Helms Deep but never once sat down and watched what it was that made Helms Deep really so good.

I agree.  There were some good visuals, and I loved the dragon fight (though would have preferred a better lit version) but overall I thought this was vastly below previous battles.

16 minutes ago, Loge said:

Actually, it makes sense to sort out who gets to sit on that iron chair after the Others have been defeated. I fully expect GRRM to finish the books like that (if he ever does). It would be the ASOIAF version of the Scouring of the Shire. Whether it's Cersei who is in control of Kings Landing is another matter. But the writers have been a Lannister fan club from day one.

Reducing the Night King to a subplot is like killing off Sauron and the evil hordes of Mordor halfway through the Lord of the Rings and devoting the other half to district elections in the Shire.

7 hours ago, Cron said:

Sure, I hear you about there being flaws.

In fact, I went out of my way to describe them, AND mention that for me the grade was hovering around a 6 or 7 until...KABOOM, the last 10 minutes or so were just flat out awesome.

In fact, they were SO awesome that for me, the other flaws just melted away, and really didn't much matter for my final grade, especially since:

(1) The darkness was a major gripe I had, but then I turned up the brightness and watched again, and it was much better.  Maybe some of the other people griping about the darkness should...turn up the brightness on whatever device they are watching on and watch it again, too?  Maybe.

(2) Sure, their tactics were terrible, but WHO is supposed to be the great military mind here anyway??  Dany??  She has no background in that.  Sure, she's been in fights, but military tactics and strategy?? Naw.   Jaime?? Nope.  He was a great fighter, but no great military mind, ever.  Tyrion?? Practically zero background in that area.  Jon??  Nope.  Not only does he have no background in that area, but we've seen him make huge tactical mistakes and blunders before, most notably in the very popular "Battle of the Bastards."  Davos?  Naw, not really.   He's called the Onion Knight, but he has no real military background.  Jorah?  Maybe, but again, he's a great fighter with very little if any strategy experience or training, so far as I know.  Varys? Nope.  Missandei?  Nope.  Grey Worm?  Maybe.  We've seen him show some good stuff in this area before, but that doesn't mean he'd be a good pick for planning something like this on such short notice, and even then it's not really clear how much (if any) "command" training he was given., if any.  Lyanna Mormont?  Nope.  Sandor, Arya, Tormund, Brienne????  Nope, nope, nope, nope,  just more great fighters or warriors with little to no background or training in military tactics or strategy, so far as I know.  So, who is the great military genius that I'm overlooking in this group that was supposed to put together a great battle plan, especially on such short notice? Gendry? Nope.  Melisandre? Nooe. Beric? Nope.

(3) Regarding the plot armor for many of them (most notably Brienne, Jaime, Gendry and others).  Did I like the plot armor? NO. Can I accept it? Sure, I basically have no choice, cuz that's the way it's gonna be in fiction (books and movies), and that's how it has already been in this show AND in other ultra-classic fantasy fiction.  (Indeed, Lord of the Rings has PLENTY of this stuff.  Ever see The Two Towers?  Wow.)

So, yeah, these are all flaws, and I acknowledged them, but then that ending of Episode 3 was simply epic and awesome to me, and that took it up to a 10.

Next, I would note that grading episodes is highly subjective and, in my opinion, often reflects the personality and outlook on life of the grader.  Some people are pessimistic by nature, and are going to focus on the stuff they didn't like to the near-exclusion of everything else.  There are people in this world who, if they see something 97% good and 3% bad, are going to lock in on the bad 3% and declare that the whole thing sucks.  I guarantee you that there are such people in this world. 

On the other hand, some people tend to be more positive and optimistic in life, and tend to focus on the good things, and I think I'm generally one of those people.  Did I see flaws? Yes, I listed them in my post above this post. But then the ending was just a grand slam, totally knocked it out of the park, and THAT is what left a lasting impression on me, and that is what I'll remember this episode for.

Finally, I would note that some people, in my opinion, are just predisposed to dislike this episode because it was The Big Showdown With The Night King (my words) and their favorite character(s) didn't have the spotlight as they have been predicting and/or fervently hoping for years would happen, and they are deeply disappointed by that.  But how many people do you know who say Arya is their favorite character, yet still hated this episode?  I'm guessing "not many." (For me, Arya is one of my favorite characters, certainly top 3 to 5, but I don't think I could say who would rank #1 for me.)

A 10/10 means the episode is perfect.  That’s the grade you, and 79 other people, gave it.  You said you hear ME about flaws.  Reread my post.  I didn’t mention flaws - YOU mentioned all the flaws.  And yet, you still gave it a 10.  

If I go to a restaurant and the chef grills me a perfect steak, but then a bird takes a dump on it as the waiter brings it to my table, the steak is ruined.  I don’t care how good the mashed potatoes are! It’s not a 10/10.  Yet that’s your reasoning, that the ending erased all the bird poop prior.  That is not perfect.

Why are people so willing to give this show such high grades.  It enabled the talentless hacks that are D&D to make the crap they’ve been making over the last 4 seasons.  Why would they even try anymore?  People just eat it up anyway.  Like jangling keys in front of babies, or laser pointer for cats.  Quality doesn’t matter, they make it and people eat it up - bird poop and all.

39 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Reducing the Night King to a subplot is like killing off Sauron and the evil hordes of Mordor halfway through the Lord of the Rings and devoting the other half to district elections in the Shire.

Who said the story arc of the Others should be reduced to a subplot? It's about the order of events, not their importance. Ending the civil war first and then fighting the Others doesn't make much sense as a story. Now the show obviously has reduced the whole story arc with the White Walkers to a rather insignificant subplot (and nixed pretty much all of the buildup it had done over seven seasons) by its clumsy "resolution" of that plot line, but it's not the order of events that's the problem here. Having some big, climactic battle against the White Walkers first and then sort out the politics of Westeros makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Table8 said:

A 10/10 means the episode is perfect.  That’s the grade you, and 79 other people, gave it.  You said you hear ME about flaws.  Reread my post.  I didn’t mention flaws - YOU mentioned all the flaws.  And yet, you still gave it a 10.  

If I go to a restaurant and the chef grills me a perfect steak, but then a bird takes a dump on it as the waiter brings it to my table, the steak is ruined.  I don’t care how good the mashed potatoes are! It’s not a 10/10.  Yet that’s your reasoning, that the ending erased all the bird poop prior.  That is not perfect.

Why are people so willing to give this show such high grades.  It enabled the talentless hacks that are D&D to make the crap they’ve been making over the last 4 seasons.  Why would they even try anymore?  People just eat it up anyway.  Like jangling keys in front of babies, or laser pointer for cats.  Quality doesn’t matter, they make it and people eat it up - bird poop and all.

So much this. I understand opinions and all.  If you enjoyed this episode, fair play. I've watched some awful shows and movies that I enjoyed but I still admit they're not good. And i'm not a particularly smart individual. But to give it a perfect score ?When the glaring faults of the episode are so obvious and impossible to defend. If anyone can defend Mauler's criticism of the episode, I'll pay you 1000 bucks right now. You simply can't because it's inexcusable. It's just objectively not great. Kind of like most Michael Bay movies, if not all. I have a nephew who loves Michael Bays Transformers movies, and it's made A LOT of money. I think he has horrible taste but at least he has the excuse of being a child. There's a lot of grown ups who like those type of movies, just nonsensical, cgi crapfest that has big action set pieces with no substance or a coherent storyline. You might like them and I can respect that but please don't say it's great. It really is not. Your baby comparison is on point. 

I feel like critics and reviewers of TV shows are less critical than movie critics. If this episode had released as a movie, it would sit on 35% rotten tomatoes max. So average of 4/10 max. Probably even lower. This is pretty much Xmen Origins Wolverine levels of bad (guess who wrote that one lol)

1 hour ago, Table8 said:

As I mentioned above, I think the grading is highly subjective, including how the grades are determined in the grader's mind.  To you, it means "perfect."  Well, very little or nothing is "perfect," so why does the grade of "10" even exist?  Have you ever given an episode a 10?  If so, I'd be curious to know which one(s), and then, I'm guessing, I could nitpick stuff in that episode or episodes too, if I wanted.  (Consider the Star Wars franchise.  MANY people would grade Episode IV, A New Hope, a "10," yet it has fairly major flaws in a variety of areas. And Star Wars is just one other example that I chose among many, many others I could have chosen.)

To me, a single truly excellent moment can make up for other flaws.  To you, I guess it can't.  Part of your point in this thread, as I understand it, is that you can't understand how anyone could give Episode 3 a high grade, much less a "10."  Well, I'm trying to answer your question, and  I think I have, which I'll now summarize:  I believe that not everybody gives grades in the same way, but rather, it is highly subjective, different from person to person.

I do think it's worth noting, though, that last time I checked the grades of "10" for Episode 3 had FAR more votes than any other grade, and as I recall, over 50% gave it a 7 or higher.  I think that means most people disagree with your evaluation (by the way, what IS your grade for Episode 3? If you mentioned it above somewhere, I either missed it or don't recall it.).

1 hour ago, Table8 said:

I don't view the flaws in Episode 3 to be anywhere near as severe as a bird doing what you describe, for reasons I already described at great length above, and won't rehash.  But again, this is highly subjective.  Some people go to restaurants and spend nearly the entire time complaining about the smallest imperfection in their meal (and/or service), and others go and have a different perspective (and therefore a different experience) entirely.  I choose to not be a person who focuses heavily on negativity, as I've also talked about above, I think.

Having said that, I do not deny the flaws in Episode 3.  Oh yeah, they were there, they were real.  As I've said, I had it at a 6 or 7 until the last 10 minutes or so, but then the last 10 minutes were the best 10 minutes of the entire series for me, and that carried a LOT of weight in my final grade.

1 hour ago, Table8 said:

GoT/ASOIAF is larger than D&D.  The story was here before they arrived on the scene, and it will be here long after they depart the scene (indeed, it's already moving on without them, as D&D head over to Disney to make a Star Wars trilogy, I believe).  D&D do not get the credit for the vast majority of the story (GRRM does, obviously), and to me they can't ruin the series as a whole just by stumbling pretty badly here and there (and they HAVE stumbled, although to be fair to them, D&D have gotten a WHOLE HECKUVA LOT right over the last 9 years, too.  Let's be fair to D&D, without them we probably would never have seen anything remotely like the production we've seen over the last 9 years, and GoT/ASOIAF has been propelled to international popularity well beyond where it was before, bringing in tens and tens of millions (probably even "hundreds of millions," I would guess) of new fans in the process. Isnt't that an incredibly good thing?)

And this MIGHT be the only ending we ever get to the original storyline.  That is a very real possibility (I believes Winds of Winter will be published, but I have little to no confidence that Dream of Spring will be, at least not written primarily by GRRM), and IF this HBO production does end up being the only ending we ever get, I choose to spend my time watching it while focusing heavily on what they DO get right, and savoring every bit of it.

But hey, that's me, and I fully understand other people approach life differently.

1 hour ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

So much this. I understand opinions and all.  If you enjoyed this episode, fair play. I've watched some awful shows and movies that I enjoyed but I still admit they're not good. And i'm not a particularly smart individual. But to give it a perfect score ?When the glaring faults of the episode are so obvious and impossible to defend. If anyone can defend Mauler's criticism of the episode, I'll pay you 1000 bucks right now. You simply can't because it's inexcusable. It's just objectively not great. Kind of like most Michael Bay movies, if not all. I have a nephew who loves Michael Bays Transformers movies, and it's made A LOT of money. I think he has horrible taste but at least he has the excuse of being a child. There's a lot of grown ups who like those type of movies, just nonsensical, cgi crapfest that has big action set pieces with no substance or a coherent storyline. You might like them and I can respect that but please don't say it's great. It really is not. Your baby comparison is on point. 

I feel like critics and reviewers of TV shows are less critical than movie critics. If this episode had released as a movie, it would sit on 35% rotten tomatoes max. So average of 4/10 max. Probably even lower. This is pretty much Xmen Origins Wolverine levels of bad (guess who wrote that one lol)

First, I don t think anyone goes to a michael bay movie to watch a great or meaningful story. The objective is to watch great action with an ok simple story...

This episode doesn t have an ok story. It has an awfull story that ruins most of the stories the show has build for years. Besides stupid cgi where we can t even see what is going on… Besides the fact that most characters are completly useless… And I could continue my list why this is awful...

In regards to critics. We are talking about the people that judged TLJ as a great movie… A lot of the problems in this ep are similar to the problems in TLJ but I think the ep is even worse! To me what seems pretty obvious is that critics aren t honest in their evaluations. We can t have a great perccentage of fans hating someting and having critics writing articles about how awesome it is. It just doesn t compute...

And I am sorry, but for any critic that watches this episode where it is too dark to see anything, we can t understand the fight between the dragons, the battle tactics make no sense, the main characters are full of plot armor, it ruins the arcs of jon, bran and danny, most characters are useless, the ww, NK and even Giants do nothing, no one fights or kills any of the major bad guys (it is just pointless wight bashing with the exception of lyannas super stupid giant death), etc... And says this episode is great then these critics are useless people that are simply trying to sell whatever mensage they are paid for...

1 hour ago, Cron said:

As I mentioned above, I think the grading is highly subjective, including how the grades are determined in the grader's mind.  To you, it means "perfect."  Well, very little or nothing is "perfect," so why does the grade of "10" even exist?  Have you ever given an episode a 10?  If so, I'd be curious to know which one(s), and then, I'm guessing, I could nitpick stuff in that episode or episodes too, if I wanted.  (Consider the Star Wars franchise.  MANY people would grade Episode IV, A New Hope, a "10," yet it has fairly major flaws in a variety of areas. And Star Wars is just one other example that I chose among many, many others I could have chosen.)

To me, a single truly excellent moment can make up for other flaws.  To you, I guess it can't.  Part of your point in this thread, as I understand it, is that you can't understand how anyone could give Episode 3 a high grade, much less a "10."  Well, I'm trying to answer your question, and  I think I have, which I'll now summarize:  I believe that not everybody gives grades in the same way, but rather, it is highly subjective, different from person to person.

I do think it's worth noting, though, that last time I checked the grades of "10" for Episode 3 had FAR more votes than any other grade, and as I recall, over 50% gave it a 7 or higher.  I think that means most people disagree with your evaluation (by the way, what IS your grade for Episode 3? If you mentioned it above somewhere, I either missed it or don't recall it.).

I don't view the flaws in Episode 3 to be anywhere near as severe as a bird doing what you describe, for reasons I already described at great length above, and won't rehash.  But again, this is highly subjective.  Some people go to restaurants and spend nearly the entire time complaining about the smallest imperfection in their meal (and/or service), and others go and have a different perspective (and therefore a different experience) entirely.  I choose to not be a person who focuses heavily on negativity, as I've also talked about above, I think.

Having said that, I do not deny the flaws in Episode 3.  Oh yeah, they were there, they were real.  As I've said, I had it at a 6 or 7 until the last 10 minutes or so, but then the last 10 minutes were the best 10 minutes of the entire series for me, and that carried a LOT of weight in my final grade.

GoT/ASOIAF is larger than D&D.  The story was here before they arrived on the scene, and it will be here long after they depart the scene (indeed, it's already moving on without them, as D&D head over to Disney to make a Star Wars trilogy, I believe).  D&D do not get the credit for the vast majority of the story (GRRM does, obviously), and to me they can't ruin the series as a whole just by stumbling pretty badly here and there (and they HAVE stumbled, although to be fair to them, D&D have gotten a WHOLE HECKUVA LOT right over the last 9 years, too.  Let's be fair to D&D, without them we probably would never have seen anything remotely like the production we've seen over the last 9 years, and GoT/ASOIAF has been propelled to international popularity well beyond where it was before, bringing in tens and tens of millions (probably even "hundreds of millions," I would guess) of new fans in the process. Isnt't that an incredibly good thing?)

And this MIGHT be the only ending we ever get to the original storyline.  That is a very real possibility (I believes Winds of Winter will be published, but I have little to no confidence that Dream of Spring will be, at least not written primarily by GRRM), and IF this HBO production does end up being the only ending we ever get, I choose to spend my time watching it while focusing heavily on what they DO get right, and savoring every bit of it.

But hey, that's me, and I fully understand other people approach life differently.

You like bird poop on your steak, enjoy.  I said everything I had to say.  

Edited by Table8

46 minutes ago, Table8 said:

Btw, you asked if I ever gave a 10 before.  I did.  You can probably guess the episode.  No, not this one

Was Blackwater "perfect"?

No way it could have been improved, in any way?

And what was your grade for 803?

No 

3 hours ago, Cron said:

Was Blackwater "perfect"?

No way it could have been improved, in any way?

And what was your grade for 803?

No 

Yep, blackwater. Was it perfect? Yep, in my eyes.  Of course I would have “improved” by giving more screen time to certain actors (don’t ask). Blackwater gave everyone something.  From that perspective, it was actually perfect, in a way.

do you think blackwater was as good as this episode? Do you think one is better than the other? How can you differentiate when you give 10s Willy nilly.

i don’t grade anymore. What’s the point? But I can vocalize and communicate my opinion via words.

Edited by Table8

20 minutes ago, Table8 said:

Yep, blackwater. Was it perfect? Yep, in my eyes.  Of course I would have “improved” by giving more screen time to certain actors (don’t ask). Blackwater gave everyone something.  From that perspective, it was actually perfect, in a way.

Seems to me that if there were ways that you believe you could have improved it, then it was not perfect to you.

And yet you gave it a 10, because...it gave something to everyone?  Do I have that right?

Because in my opinion, lots of episodes have given something to everyone, but I'm guessing you did not give them all 10's.

By the way, I'd be interested to hear which characters you believe should have gotten more time in Blackwater, but if you don't want to discuss it, that's fine, of course.

Also, do you know whether Blackwater has a "rant and rave without repercussions" thread here at Westeros, or something similar to that, and if so, how many comments have been posted in it?  

do you think blackwater was as good as this episode? Do you think one is better than the other? How can you differentiate when you give 10s Willy nilly.

I don't give 10's willy nilly.  In fact, although I have not kept track of all my grades that I have given to episodes, I don't think I've given more than five 10's.  I do give lots of 8's and 9's, though.  If you've been reading my posts, you know I'm generally very positive and optimistic, and tend to focus on what's good more than on what's bad, especially for GoT where there has been so much that they HAVE gotten right (as I believe I mentioned above)

To answer your question, though:  I give both Blackwater and 803 the same grade, "10," but for different reasons.  Overall, Blackwater was more consistently good, but, as I think I've mentioned, 803 had by far the most awesome 10 minutes of the whole series.  Beyond that, I really cannot easily say which I consider better overall.  Perhaps once I have had more time to digest and consider 803, I will be able to make that decision (about whether I think 803 is better than Blackwater), but right now I cannot easily do that, and I'm not going to sit here pondering it for an hour.

By the way, there was other good stuff in 803, too, besides the last 10 minutes, and although a lot of the criticism of 803 is fair, I'm not sure all of it is fair, for a variety of reasons.  (Here's a simple example:  Lots of people have been complaining about how dark it was.  Uh, okay, turn up the brightness on the t.v. or viewing device, and watch it again. I did that, and it made a big difference. And there are other examples, too.) 

i don’t grade anymore. What’s the point? But I can vocalize and communicate my opinion via words.

So, is it possible that 803 was maybe a "9" to you, then?  Or no?

Ratings mean different things to different people.  10 isn't perfect for me.  It is the highest score of 10 options.  Which for me means this episode ranks in the top 10% of television episodes this season (by my estimate of course, no one could actually know that, not even Bran).  There was a time I had to modify that rating scale for GOT as every episode would get a 10 in the first 3 seasons, not a meaningful measure.  I went back to it as the show descended in quality and made the numbers meaningful. 

If 10 means perfect, then to me it means no episode or movie should ever get a 10.  Blade Runner: The Director's Cut has flaws.  Goodfellas has flaws  Community's Modern Warfare episode has at least one joke that lands flat.  No 10's.   But that is for me, so it's all relative.

By the way, I even had to go ff my own rating system for this episode.  I gave it a 1, but it certainly is NOT in the bottom 10% of television episodes made this season.  That is crazy talk.  There are likely enough episodes of Kardasian TV to fill that entire group, and I am confident this was better than all of them.  I gave it a 1 because I feel it destroyed so much of previous good to great television with a end that shits the bed.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:13 AM, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Um, yeah, so Sauron WAS killed off half way through The Return of the King and the remaining half of the book was about the Hobbits going back to the Shire and dealing with the repercussions of the war there, including facing an old enemy who used the fact that everyone's attention was focused on Sauron to grow his own power.

The Night King was killed with less than 5% of the entire run of the show remaining.  That's pretty much the end.  Devoting 5% of the story to what happens after seems appropriate to me.

I gave it six.  I really wanted to like it, and we've all been waiting a long time for this.....BUT...

Pros; Good cinematography, acting,  stunts, sets, and visuals

Cons:  A bit too dark

Silly plot, the whole strategy of the army  of the living had numerous flaws....from characters with military training and experience, the writers left the heroes common sense out of the script.....What military genius thought deploying in front of a castle, with your artillery in front, and  a ditch and palisade, BEHIND, (impeding any retreat), was a good idea......Sam surviving from the thousands of frenzied zombies  at the end by....crying.!!!! ......Brienne seemed to die at least three times,  but didn't....and Jorah got stabbed THROUGH his metal breastplate!!! Etc etc

Clearly a lesson that spending even treble the normal  budget does not necessarily result in a better script.