[Poll] How would you rate episode 803?

Ran

How would you rate episode 803?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'm not claiming anything.  D&D didn't know the entire story when AGOT first started.  The idea was to use the book material as inspiration for the entire show.  When it was clear the source material was going to dry up they sat down and had a series of meetings with GRRM where they went through all the major character arcs and outstanding plot points.

GRRM has confirmed this too by stating he thinks the main characters will end up in the same place in the books and show but that some minor character arcs will be different (e.g. Beric is already long dead in the books).

Yeah, I understand. Which is why I'm curious if this is something GRRM told them, or not. Three years ago they would have already had this conversation with George because three years ago they released Season 6, which goes beyond the books, and would have had to be in the writing process at least 4 years ago. The timeline they've stated is what I'm curious about. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Godric said:

What do you have to back this up? Like I said, Martin himself said a few weeks ago that "But there may be – on certain secondary characters, there may be big differences.” Suggesting that he told them more than what you're claiming for the major characters. 

All I am really saying is that its not certain that the same charterer will do the same things in the books. Frankly I would be willing to bet that for some details Martin will write it differently just so its different, if he ever write an ending.

Just now, Lord Godric said:

Yeah, I understand. Which is why I'm curious if this is something GRRM told them, or not. Three years ago they would have already had this conversation with George because three years ago they released Season 6, which goes beyond the books, and would have had to be in the writing process at least 4 years ago. The timeline they've stated is what I'm curious about. 

He told them whilst they were making Series 6.  At least that's what they said at the time anyway.

Ok it's settling in now.. as they're playing it again on tv. 

4 or 5 out of 10.

Honestly I feel a bit let down by it all.. It lost it right after the dothraki charged and instantly got wiped out in seconds. But everyone else can survive for so long against a literal swarm of dead people. 

I'm also disappointed that Bran and the Night King had no interaction, no moving words, no meaning.. nothing. The dead has been looming and building for the entire show and left us with no deeper meaning at all. 

Dragon battle meh, again fell short, it was also very choppy. 

Not sure what the purpose of Bran "going away" warging into the crows, but didn't help at all was.  

John wondering around and also did nothing (how the hell did he manage to survive out there surrounded by newly resurrected zombies?)  

I could go on, many things were off. Very unrealistic, even for a zombie episode. A lot of the fan theory had much better ideas than the actual episode. 

But I'm happy that's over and they're all gone now and can continue with the story. I don't like zombie shows/movies. So looking forward to the more political side of the show. 

1 minute ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

I gotta think GRRM would have shared when, where, and by whom he planned to have the army of the dead defeated. 

I mean, maybe not, but it seems like grasping at straws.

And if after having a bunch of character having their story being almost about the ww all his book arya defeats the dead alone I will also say it is bullshit.

What was the point of bran? what did danny do besides giving a dragon to the NK? what the fuck did jon do the entire batle?

Just now, Larger than Average Finger said:

All I am really saying is that its not certain that the same charterer will do the same things in the books. Frankly I would be willing to bet that for some details Martin will write it differently just so its different, if he ever write an ending.

He's previously said he wouldn't do this, and I think if he's trying to it's going to be a disservice to his own writing and planning. It'd be absurd for him to change his story just because they already did the story he gave them. 

1 minute ago, divica said:

And if after having a bunch of character having their story being almost about the ww all his book arya defeats the dead alone I will also say it is bullshit.

What was the point of bran? what did danny do besides giving a dragon to the NK? what the fuck did jon do the entire batle?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, FireWinds said:

But I'm happy that's over and they're all gone now and can continue with the story. 

What story? The show has no stories, just OMFG moments, regardless of how utterly preposterous and nonsensical they are. 

2 minutes ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

Until such time as GRRM proves otherwise, I'm becoming more and more suspicious that the book series will never be finished. Maybe not even Winds. 

I gave it a 10 after first watch. I was watching it for the simple entertainment factor. I usually change my rating after second watch when I watch it with a more analytical eye.

Things I didn't like:

Ghost dies in the calvary charge :crying:

We didn't get to see Arya use her stave/spear very long. She was awesome with it!

The wights just clawed their way into the crypts. I know they are dug underground, but aren't they built with stone?

Missandei's snide comment to Sansa. Their conversation was none of her business and out of character for her.

Things I liked:

The calvary charge with flaming swords (even though it didn't last long).

Bran's words to Theon - both about him coming home and being a good man.

Sandor finally facing up to his fears when he sees Lyanna Mormont fighting.

Lyanna killing the giant wight as it was choking her to death. RIP Lyanna.

Arya and her stave/spear. Have I mentioned she was awesome? ;)

Arya moving soundlessly through the library. I know it got a little tedious, but I like to see her using the skills she learned training in Bravos.

That moment between Sansa and Tyrion when they were hiding, which ended with him kissing her hand. Very touching.

The way Theon and Jorah died. Fully redeemed and heroes.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

You being unhappy with the TV series?  I'd never have guessed.

You feeling happy w it? I never would have guessed it. And I’m not being sarcastic, just struggling w/ the idea that it’s even possible to feel happy w it. 

Knew my Girl would come could in the end :D

Agree about the battle scenes being far too dark and the poor picture quality, especially the Dragon scenes, although it started off well with the torched swords and fireballs. As for the rest, some good, some bad, some a bit silly, but as I always say, it's GOT, so it gets a lot of leeway in my book. I thought the best bit was when it all kicked off in the crypt, although I was expecting one of either Varys or Missandei to die.

As always Arya's scenes saved the day, but I just hope that now she's saved the world it doesn't mean she's one of the main characters to die.

Also, with Jaime and Tyrion both surviving it now means there's gonna be the whole Bronn scenario, which in one way I can't wait for but in another I'm dreading.

7/10

15 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Also  - Sansa and Tyrion are such cowards.  He at least can use an excuse, but Sansa has nothing, I am really disliking her right about now.  What about the north, indeed.  

Agreed, she was a sniping coward in this episode. Only thinking about her feud with Daenerys and personal safety.

Grossly irritating when Dany was risking her neck and losing her main advisor.

And I say that as a long-standing critic of Dany. 

Edited by Krishtotter