Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

So that's it for the AOTD that's all they were? second cousin to the McGuffins. Yes it was well made but Fuckface McFreezy just standing there basking in his victory, all of a sudden he wants to savour the moment before he foiled by those pesky kids!

George R.R. Martin please have your aotd have more meaning and purpose in the books. other wise that floater is not going to flush.

Enjoyed the episode from an excited fan perspective but overall very underwhelming. 

1) no WW fight in the episode? After making a point to get all the Valyrian steel in one place? And then give it to a legit fighter instead of Sam?

2) just spit on the azor ahai prophecy? Maybe they bring that back against Cersei and say that really Cersei became so powerful and dark she became the greatest evil? Idk hoping for a twist

3) Melisandre sailed across the world and back for what? She didn't bring the fiery hand or even the other two red priestesses in the show. Did she need to make a will? 

4) the NK! He's supposed to be this crazy badass and here's everything he did through 8 seasons: touch a babys forehead, raise arms, throw a spear, fall off a dragon, raise arms, kill Theon, catch Arya. For a great ultimate enemy we actually have no idea if the NK was even a good fighter, why'd they even bother with the ice sword? 

Future thoughts:

almost no starks, unsullied, vale, or Dothraki left but Danny will somehow get the fully army, iron born will arrive, and remainder of the vale. Then low and behold she'll have her army. God I hope howland reed shows up to at least vouch that Jon is who he says he is and it's not just taken at the word of "I know they weren't lying"

3 minutes ago, justanotherposter said:

Enjoyed the episode from an excited fan perspective but overall very underwhelming. 

1) no WW fight in the episode? After making a point to get all the Valyrian steel in one place? And then give it to a legit fighter instead of Sam?

2) just spit on the azor ahai prophecy? Maybe they bring that back against Cersei and say that really Cersei became so powerful and dark she became the greatest evil? Idk hoping for a twist

3) Melisandre sailed across the world and back for what? She didn't bring the fiery hand or even the other two red priestesses in the show. Did she need to make a will? 

4) the NK! He's supposed to be this crazy badass and here's everything he did through 8 seasons: touch a babys forehead, raise arms, throw a spear, fall off a dragon, raise arms, kill Theon, catch Arya. For a great ultimate enemy we actually have no idea if the NK was even a good fighter, why'd they even bother with the ice sword? 

Future thoughts:

almost no starks, unsullied, vale, or Dothraki left but Danny will somehow get the fully army, iron born will arrive, and remainder of the vale. Then low and behold she'll have her army. God I hope howland reed shows up to at least vouch that Jon is who he says he is and it's not just taken at the word of "I know they weren't lying"

Re: Mel-

I think she came back because she felt guilty for the atrocities she committed and wanted to get some sort of redemption. Her suicide would seek to corroborate this.  That said I wish they had had her take a much more active role in the fighting. I’m glad we got to see her fire powers for once but it would have been much better if we actually saw her fight.  

6 minutes ago, Snormund said:

I think she came back because she felt guilty for the atrocities she committed and wanted to get some sort of redemption. Her suicide would seek to corroborate this.  That said I wish they had had her take a much more active role in the fighting. I’m glad we got to see her fire powers for once but it would have been much better if we actually saw her fight.  

I'd agree except she knew she was coming back when talking to Varys at dragonstone so there has to be some reason she dipped out east and back. 

If that's the end of the undead storyline, which seems to be the case, all I can say is LOL. 7 seasons of buildup starting with the very first scene of the very first episode and it ends with Anakin Arya blowing up the mothership Night King and the droids zombies collapsing. Wow, what a climax. And now with that out of the way we can get to the real final boss, Cersei. There's so much wrong with that I can't even.

As much effort as they put into the battle itself, I have to say I was pretty bored halfway through. I mean it was a very cool Heroes of Might & Magic cutscene, it just took way way too long. Contrast this to Blackwater which was paced perfectly, had genuine emotional stakes and had proper setup and payoff. I still rewatch that episode from time to time. This one I'm never going to unless I feel like testing the black levels of a new TV.

Well, I'm glad I didn't stay up for this...this... It's all been said.

And the preview: "We have won the Great War. Now we'll win the last war." Uhm, yeah, whatevs.

I will say I did enjoy the piano music; Alfie's performance (his face REALLY said it all); AND...did Dany actually emote?!

8 minutes ago, Snormund said:

The most generous interpretation would be that she was there for Arya, and set off some Manchurian Candidate type programming from Faceless Man school which allowed Arya to unlock hidden abilities. 

2 minutes ago, justanotherposter said:

I'd agree except she knew she was coming back when talking to Varys at dragonstone so there has to be some reason she dipped out east and back. 

Mel says she “knows” a lot of things. You have to remember she’s insane. 

Why didn't Arya hide on wierwood? It would be much more sensible if she did.

Dragon fire can't kill NK but valyrian steel can? Aren't they related?

This episode was really bad. Who puts siege engines in front of the army? Now the main villain is Cersei, a woman who started this journey to protect her children and family. This show can't get any stupid than that but i'm sure they'll surprise me.

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

Dany actually emote?!

Yes, and aside from uncomfortable and funny, it was also kinda ugly. But in a good way, because I couldn't help but notice her hair was perfectly in place despite jetting around above the clouds and fighting monster amidst flames. She can do with looking less attractive when appropriate. 

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

So, while there were some good visuals, most of it was too dark to see, all those millions wasted by a crazed desire to shoot things that look like 'natural' light, umkay.  It's entertainment, I'd like to see the actors and action.  

This was a pretty bad episode, even not counting sidelining Jon and Dany and having Arya kill the NK, and it turning out he really was Sauron, no plan, no agenda, just evil evil evil and once you kill him, his army disappears.  Seriously?  That is so bad.

Arya killing the NK I guess could have worked if we had seen her pouring over some books in the library to find a way to beat her enemy or something more profound than hey, the ninja assassin assassinated the enemy. 

What was the point of Jon's parents then?  If there is no prophecy or prince and all of that was pointless?

And now we got three episodes of Cersei and the dred pirate Euron.

So he can fight his girlfriend for the Iron Throne?  It just falls so flat.

2 hours ago, Snormund said:

I don’t even...

So much bizarreness. Look, I enjoyed the episode...it was entertaining. But there were just an insane amount of things that made little to no sense.  Before I complain, I’ll just say I was so glad to see my beloved Carice Van Houten, unfortunately for the final time as Melisandre. And I’m really glad that they finally let her show her fire powers, but I’m still miffed we didn’t see her directly fight (more on this). 

Problems with the episode:

•Why the hell is anyone outside of the castle (besides Bran and his contingent baiting the NK)? That’s just terrible strategy. What did they think would happen? Maybe they couldn’t all fit inside the walls, but I really don’t think that was the case. 

•I feel like Bran should have had significantly more men protecting him. 

•Nice to see Ghost once more, but what the hell does he think he’s going to do against the dead? Do they make valerian rims for canines in Westeros now?

•Why the fuck is Jon on Rhaegal and not with Ghost and his fellow fighters? So much for that spirit bond he has with Ghost amirite. 

•Melisandre shows up and we finally see that she is, in fact, gifted with fire powers. For some reason, Mel decides only one contingent of the vast army needs her help and goes off to play solitaire on her phone. I’m guessing Mel doesn’t have the strength to light EVERYONE’s weapons, but it’s really hard to say for sure with this show. 

•Our heroes are getting overwhelmed and have to retreat, to the surprise of absolutely no one sane, which apparently doesn’t include anyone in the show.  Somehow everyone gets back in around the trenches but none of the dead do. Whatever. Mel, frustrated with the poor WiFi in Winterfell, decides to come back out and help again. After a lot of trouble (because she’s scared? Lost faith? Who knows) Mel lights the trenches and temporarily saves the day. Unfortunately, Mel’s fires aren’t all-powerful and the Night King very slowly figures out he can just spam undead into the trench and force a path. Not sure what that was about? Really would have liked to see Mel actually fight, but it seems that she might need time to charge up her attacks?

•Sam’s special power is taking siestas in the middle of battles and not dying. Somehow. 

•Arya is kicking ass for a while, and then inexplicably is overcome with fear.  Arya, the stone cold assassin who doesn’t fear death, suddenly decides she does, in fact, fear undead ice zombies and transports herself into a horror movie segment. She’s met by The Hound (who also inexplicably is overcome with fear and fleeing) and Beric (accompanying the Hound for no other discernible reason than moral support), and they run into a big room where Beric dies of wounds sustained in the fight.  Mel reappears, angry that she was disturbed after finally finding a room with good WiFi, but decides to give Arya encouragement, because Arya suddenly needs to be reminded to be brave.  We are set up to believe that Arya, The Hound and Mel are going to have a stand against a bunch of the NK’s goons, but we never see this. Somehow, Arya escapes out of a super secret passageway and Mel and The Hound later emerge unscathed. Maybe Mel flashed her tits at the wights and distracted them. It’d make as much sense as anything else. Very miffed I didn’t get to see Mel incinerate some of the wights and/or white walkers in a showdown with Arya and the Hound giving her cover. 

•Somehow a giant throng of undead have trouble with individual fighters. Apparently when Melisandre resurrected Jon she also gave him plot armor. Unfortunately for Theon and Jorah, their plot armor eventually expired. I realize a lot of this is because D+D have decided the plot demands it. 

•Bran. What the actual fuck was he doing the whole episode? Watching sitcoms on the Three-Eyed Raven network? 

•After Drogon saves Jon from being overwhelmed by wights, he screams “Bran!” and runs back to the castle instead of to the godswood. Wat. 

•It’s established that Jorah is fighting in Winterfell but somehow he develops spidey sense and arrives in the nick of time to defend Dany. 

•Apparently the undead Dragon just waits around for Jon to show up before trying to kill him instead of doggedly pursuing him. I guess it had other things it was destroying, but it seems like it did a rather low amount of damage all things considered. 

•Arya is somehow able to just sneak past all the wights and white walkers and surprise the Night King himself.  Meanwhile when Jon snuck up on him earlier he easily noticed. Just...I can’t even. I’m glad the army of the dead is defeated but Jesus, that was hardly believable. 

•Mel feels that her purpose is fulfilled (I guess?) and decides to atone for her sins by committing suicide. She does this by removing her necklace which suddenly was actually keeping her alive even though we’ve seen her young without it in season 4 and seen her old but still able to survive without it in season 6. Apparently, Mel just decides what the necklace does, which kinda ruins the point of the necklace in the first place.  I’m assuming she knew how much time she had left without the necklace, somehow, but it wasn’t explained, so who knows?  Very sad that CVH will no longer be on the show, as she gave a brilliant portrayal of a fascinating character. 

There’s probably more I’m forgetting but that’s it for now. There was plenty I liked about the episode too, but there were just so many errors. 

Mel should have just had another "shadow baby" take out the NK , the night before the battle , as Mel seemed to slip past them the AOTD easily, and knew that the NK was vulnerable to Valyrian steel to the Gut. Problem Solved!

4 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Perhaps in the books Arya kills Euron.

Well, Euron in the books is a sort of anti-Bran, and full-on in league with the Great Other, that I can see.  Maybe?  I still think that's Jon's story for the books.

3 hours ago, athmystikal said:

Aren't the wights supposed to be extremely slow? The ones in this Ep were like Usain Bolt clones. Also since when do wights can be killed by stabbing them? AFAIK they can only be killed by fire.

They're slow in the books.  In the show, they have the speed of Plot.

2 hours ago, Philokles said:

GRRM: These petty political machinations are a distraction from the real issue - an existential threat facing mankind.

D&D: This existential threat facing manking is a distraction from the real issue - petty political machinations.

Calling the whole series Game of Thrones is a bit of a giveaway that they’ve got the cart before the horse in retrospect.

Completely. 

1 hour ago, Neddy's Girl said:

The more I read (these discussions), the more sure I am that the show is not spoiling the novels for me :D

Agreed.

Why did Ghost charge with the Dothraki? I'd have thought he'd at least stay with people he knew (Night Watch/wildlings), but oh yeah - this was an easy CGI moment for them.

While I didn't hate watching Arya killing the NK, I will hate it if it goes down like that in the books. (hint: I don't think it will)

No real impactful deaths. I expected more because when all is said and done, they came out pretty unscathed character wise. I admit, I am both a little happy and a little sad about this. 

Arya dodging zombies in the library was too long. We get it, she's sneaky.

Mel can ignite hawks in flight - she was pretty underwhelming here. If they want us to believe she gave her all for one last hurrah, it didn't really come across.

Theon, buddy - if you could have waited for just a few more minutes ...

The dead rising in the crypts was cheesy. Besides being the most telegraphed move in TV history, it was super underwhelming. Tyrion was bitching about not being able to use his big brain, but he didn't think about the dead they were sitting on? Sansa runs and hides and tells everyone how useless they are? She was a better leader in Blackwater.

Sam was a blubbering coward and I fucking hated that. Sure, he's scared, but he's a different man now. He killed a White Walker protecting Gilly. He got the shit beat out of him protecting Gilly. Isn't he protecting Gilly here and now? Nope, he's a coward, just like he said the first time we met him. Great character growth.

They wasted the wightification of Edd and Lyanna. Sam should have had to put un-Edd down. Make Jorah put his cousin out of her misery.

And of course Lyanna went out like a badass because little girls are spunky! (I didn't hate it, but I rolled my eyes because of course she did)

OK, the dragon fights were beautiful to watch. A little confusing, but beautiful.

6 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Just so we're clear....my weekend started off Thursday night with Daniel Jones and end with this steaming pile of crap. I'm done, I'm walking away and done with this ridiculous show.

I haven't looked forward to this for a loooong time.  Drag Race makes my weekends these days!  :)

The time I save not watching, I use to come here or watch PJ!  I can't out and out ignore the show because everyone I know who watches it (even book readers) loves it.  So I have to dilute the sicophantism (not sure that's a word or even the one I want!)

10 minutes ago, athmystikal said:

The silver lining is that it is pretty much clear that the show won't spoil the books

HAHA - yes. I didn't truly, truly believe it til tonight, but I am completely on board with this train of thought. I just want this to be done so I can get it out of my system and then wait for the real story.

12 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

Mel should have just had another "shadow baby" take out the NK , the night before the battle , as Mel seemed to slip past them the AOTD easily, and knew that the NK was vulnerable to Valyrian steel to the Gut. Problem Solved!

Hahahahah. I always thought Mel should have fucked Jon to make a shadow baby to kill Ramsay back in season 6.  Jon probably would have fucked her then but not now. Well, he definitely still would if she made it clear to him it would save countless lives. But D+D were never going that route...too anticlimactic. 

4 hours ago, Lucky7 said:

Yooooooo what the fuck was that?

Apparently, there was no plan. Legitmately, shit made no sense from start to finish.

So, did Melissandre pass the Night King and all his armies on the way to Winterfell? Like, where the fuck did she come from?

Grey Worm and the Unsullied are the only competent people in Winterfell.

OMFG what the fuck was that Dany and Jon shit? Yeah, at first them being disoriented by the blizzard was cool as hell but as they pointed out 20 mintues later they were literally right fucking there at Winterfell? How the fuck could they get lost?

What was the point of Bran doing that raven shit? At first I thought he was trying to warg into the Ice Dragon (hence why it was trippin so hard in Winterfell) but apparently he didn't do anything but see how the battle was going? He could have just sat there the whole time and done nothing, and the result would be the same.

What is Sansa talking about they can't do anything? Wasn't Sansa the one who outfitted their armor? Weren't the women the ones who sewed clothes, etc.,? Legitimately, 14 year old Sansa in Blackwater keeping everyone's spirits up with the hymn was more inspirational than defeated Sansa whose dejected cuz she's in the crypt with the "useless" people.

Uh, so, like, are they trying to build a romance between Tyrion and Sansa? That little joke was a good laugh at first but then Sansa is talking about "it would never work" like we're actually supposed to take this shit seriously? And that kiss on the hand in the crypt scene when Tyrion wasn't even close to Sansa like that? 

Yoooooo, they stole that Arya shit straight out of Metal Gear Solid what the fuck. Shit was absolute nonsense, now the wights can hear blood drip but apparently Arya can crawl out from under a table and get to another hidden area in 2 seconds without making a sound? 

How did Beric get stabbed all those times yet was still able to walk and outrun all those super fast White Walkers?

The Lyanna Mormont scene was disgusting and compounded by the fact that it was illogical. There was no reason her advisors would ever let their 10 year old last surviving heir stay on the battlefield regardless of gender. 

Why didn't Drogon come back after he shook the WW's off?

Why didn't Rhaegal get up and help Jon since he wasn't dead or even injured? Why didn't he help his own mother Daenarys?

So many last minute saves done purely for pitiful "dramatic" effect and nothing else. The "Melisandre's fire powers don't work til the last minute cuz a white walkers in her face" the "Dany burning the WW that are bout to kill Jon yet somehow miss Jon even those he's inches away" the "Sam living and Ed dying cuz he saved him at the last minute".

And of course, the most bullshit, the most hilariously ridiculous last minute save of all Arya, escaping the barred shut room , bypassing all the other white walkers in the castle (when Jon could barely make it past the courtyard), bypassing the entire Night King posse of intelligent leaders, bypassing all the white walkers surrounding the NK posse and NK, and somehow, some way, jumping off of something to jump onto the NK (with none of the WW or NK posse or even NK noticing even though he noticed Jon and Dany coming 20 feet away), and one hit k.o. 

Fuckign hilarious that the dragons did about 7% of the fight, the Unsullied did about 58%, Jaime, Brienne, and nem did about 20%, Melissandre did about 14%, and Arya did about 1% but she had the most important 1% of all. 

So, that's all folks. An entire series worth of buildup, one episode to deafeat the NK, three episodes to defeat Cersei.  Not even 3 episodes for NK or WW because the last two episodes were filler and reunions, with apprarently no plan or preperation in sight. 

And now, even though the show should be over next episode cuz all Dany has to do is roll up with her two dragons, burn the shit down, and declare herself Queen, somehow they're gonna take more planning, face more opposition, and put more effort into fighting Cersei and her nonsensical "army" than the an army of the undead? Absolutely pathetic writing.

They really ruined Game of Thrones.

:agree::cheers:

Archived