Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

4 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

and now the story will wrap up with a battle with Cersei for the Iron Throne, despite the fact that the entire theme of this series was supposed to be that the petty political squabbles of man are moot next to the greater challenge that everyone ignores.

But ... but ... the show is called Game of Thrones. It'a literally in the title, duh. The White Walkers were just an unimportant diversion.

3 hours ago, of man and wolf said:

They can still build up their ranks somewhat. They have dragons, wolves, arya, and they can still call upon House Reed, House Glover, The riverlands....the ironborn....etc etc...yea those armies have seen their numbers decreased but you dont need much when you have dragons and assassins like arya who can change her face to whoever she wants...all to fight normal beings now and not the undead.

Whattabout Dorne? Is anyone in charge there? Aside from the Urine sea battle, their forces haven't participated in any of the recent wars. They should be near full-strength. 

6 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

And while we're at it:  D&D think the Long Night is literally one night, rather than an allusion to a long winter with no daylight?  Ooookay then.

Can't imagine they're that thick. Probably were trying to do some type of play on words. No matter what the long night was only going to last max 4 episodes so whether it was 1 or 4 we should've been prepared to be disappointed in that regard

So  I guess according to D&D the entire Rhaegar  + Lyanna, PTWP story was just meaningless waste of time?

Rhaegar  was just an idiot in love, and his affair with Lyanna just serves as a setup for Jon/Dany conflict  and has nothing to do with the others ?

I will say that, for the most part, I've enjoyed this season and the previous one...maybe it's because the two before that were such steaming piles, maybe it's because there are no books anymore to directly compare it to, and maybe it's because I'm despairing of ever getting a proper conclusion to the saga from GRRM and am happy to take what I can get at this point. It will always be a sad case of "what might have been" to me, but my expectations have been vastly lowered over the seasons...this show can be expected to deliver plenty of spectacle and fanfiction/fanservice, and on that level I guess it generally succeeds, despite numerous moments of WTF and plot/logic holes you could drive a truck through. (I've not read the thread yet, so I'm sure most of those are already being covered... but I did laugh at Mel walking out of the night alone in the middle of the North in winter, 2 minutes before the start of battle, then doing nothing of great significance before letting herself die. No one seemed to question this much, and I doubt we'll get an explanation.)

Most importantly, spending the final three episodes overcoming Cersei/Euron (does his lame show version have a nickname? Urine?) and determining who sits on the throne will feel hella anticlimactic now. The true threat and the true enemy has always been beyond the Wall and has been looming since S1E1 - only to be dispatched in one episode? If that's all there is to "the Others" in the books, it will be a great disappointment, I think. No backstory, no greater motivation for the NK - he just wanted to destroy humanity for the sake of doing it? For all the spectacle, this could have been a supersized Walking Dead episode for all the complexity and nuance behind it.

The lighting of the arakhs looked so promising... then it went downhill from there. 

I cannot believe the poor decision making skills of Daeny and Jon - and these are the people who are supposed to rule over Westeros. I wouldn’t want them to be my leader. Why couldn’t they have put Ghost in the godswood with Bran and Theon?!

That said, I’m Team Weasel since Day 1 so I can’t deny feeling joy at Arya Underfoot saving them all (no matter how ludicrous the setup).

This thread wasn't up yet last night when I was in full on rant mode, so I'll have to rant from memory. Also, I may have some things wrong, because they decided to film on the dark side of the moon in a subterranean cave under a tarp with everyone wearing black.

• OK, I'm not General Patton or anything, but the whole point of cavalry is that they're fast and mobile. You engage with your infantry and use the cavalry for flanking. Yeah I know...we needed a dramatic moment where the "lights" of all the Dothraki went out. Somewhere Yoda is shedding a tear...
  • Was the whole script just "...<character name> is being overwhelmed by undead, but <insert other character with back history with first character> makes the save!"???
  • So the NK waits all this time for his opportunity to take out the 3-Eyed Raven, but he can't wait another day or so until his unstoppable undead army kills everyone in Winterfell except Bran? He seemed to be the only one with any sort of battle plan, until he decided to slow walk his way to Bran.
  • Super Arya...'nuff said.
  • How is Sam not dead? When last seen (again, it was very dark), he was being what appeared to be eaten by a horde of undead.
  • I was surprised by one thing. I was expecting Bran to be Arya, because we had that montage of every major character just about to die, and the NK did get this quizzical look on his face, but that was just because he realized Super Arya was using her powers of flight to try to take him by surprise. Again, why doesn't he have his army, or any of his powerful(?) generals just go in and grab the boy in the medieval wheelchair? Ya know..."Bring me the boy!"
  • My brain hurts, so instead of typing more, I'll just say that I agree with almost everything everyone else has already ranted about.

Visually, at least the parts that I could see, it was impressive. And from a directing standpoint, it had to be really difficult to coordinate all of that, which is probably why it was filmed in pitch black. Hides a lot of sins. What it can't hide though, is a cookie-cutter script.

And one final thing...Cersei is the big baddie that our rag-tag band of rebels has to defeat? Really, Game of Thrones, really??? So let me guess...Hound kills Mountain, but dies in the process. Arya does more super-killing stuff. Jamie gets backstabbed by Euron (love the Urine nickname, by the way), but still manages to plunge something deep into Cersei (someone at HBO is drooling at that thought). I guess the only thing left to resolve is who gets the Iron Throne. 

This is a weird one because I really enjoyed the episode even though there was so much wrong with it.

They did a great job of building up the impending doom, how much a force the Walker army is but story wise it was pretty dreadful. WWs are basically just a horror story, no real motivation or meaning behind them, they just wanna kill humanity for the sake of it. Not sure why they built up so much back story just none of it to really matter. It makes their motivation looks utterly stupid considering it wasn't even humans who created them. 

Did Gendry just sleep through it, did he even show up, did I miss him?

Guess Ghost is a cameo king now.

All the talk of how great the Dothraki are and they get sacrificed in ten seconds. That whole scene with the swords on fire basically set up to look cool. I get that it sets up how dangerous the AOTD are but kinda makes them look pretty useless.

I don't mind Arya killing NK tbh but it just didn't feel like they pulled it off properly, pretty cool using the dagger that started it all to kill NK and was some good play backs to earlier episodes but seemed messy. 

NK was cool tbf, When Drogon set him a light and he laughed it off was a holy shit moment, House Mormont went out like absolute champs, both got nice endings to their arcs. Ed was always gonna get it and Beric as well, neither really had any plot line left to use. Did Theon die, was hard to tell, I guess he should be but they didn't make it fully clear. Either way he got his redemption so was a nice way to see his story culminate.

Jon the dragonslayer, or not so much, thought they were gonna go down that line. Jon didn't really have a great battle, it was all build up but in the end it didn't really feel like he did a lot, got beat up in the air and then killed some Wights before hiding from a Dragon, didn't seem like we got much of a pay off for him. Why did Dany not just fly over and set them alight at the beginning instead of waiting for her own men to get in the mix and det them alight as well, terrible tactical move.

This should have been tying most of the arcs up for the story but all sort of feels like everything is left more open.

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

And while we're at it:  D&D think the Long Night is literally one night, rather than an allusion to a long winter with no daylight?  Ooookay then.

Yeah, it was the short night.

(Also there's still snow on the ground. So I guess it had nothing to do with winter, either.)

6 hours ago, shameeka said:

The Night is Dark and Full of I Can't See Anything.

Seriously I thought the battle against the dead would last 2 episodes at the least.

So, the White Walkers and his wight groupies all died or got destroyed, unsure about the nomenclature, without even passing The Neck. All this talk about how the dead will destroy the entire world and most of the southerners will not even get to see one of them. I bet the maesters in the Citadel are saying "All this talk about Night Kings and White Walkers and nothing happened. Northerners and their fantasies, hahaha."

I hope Cersei says to Dany, "So I guess you didn't need my help after all!"

Seriously, the Night King should have just starved them out.

I  had to LOL at The Night is Dark and Full of I Can't See Anything. 

And, you have a terrific point.  I can see Professor Slughorn down at The Citadel laughing off the reports coming in from The North right now.  He's liable to try and get Sam committed to their mental health wing, come to think of it. 

40 minutes ago, Elayis said:

Why was the Night King immune to dragon fire but not steel forged by dragon fire?

oh come on!!! because d$d said so  thats why, if the plot demands it, the plot shall receive it, exactly when it needs it, as it should be. deus ex machina is the rule of the land here in weisserhoff!

Archived