Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

2 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

And while we're at it:  D&D think the Long Night is literally one night, rather than an allusion to a long winter with no daylight?  Ooookay then.

Spot on! At least it was so very long... or at least it felt like it was way too long for me. 80mins too long. 

1 hour ago, MoonKnight21 said:

I honestly believe that they realised that some readers & viewers sensed who TPTWP was and decided to change the story line half way - and its showing that its not well thought out.

Yeah, probably you are right. As a subversion of our expectations, this was a nice twist but on a deeper level it kind of feels unearned. Not because Arya has not earned the right for a great heroic deed after all the training and suffering, but rather because it makes so many other stories irrelevant or unimportant (R+L=J, all the pre-GOT wars and prophecies, even Bran's time-travelling trips)

57 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

haha, I don't know if you watched the Inside the Episode edition, but according to Benioff it's because she hit her head. :lol:

What. WHAT. Seriously, what a mess. :rolleyes:

The biggest letdown for me is knowing we still have three 80 minute episodes left with Cersei & Euron front and center. At least the White Walkers were visually interesting. These last few seasons were tolerable because we didn't know the endgame, but that we know where everything has been leading to all I feel is dread, not anticipation.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Btw, if, according to Bran, everything people did led them to said point in their life, that means Joffrey, First of His Name, had a role in killing the Night King. And of course, the one and only Littlefinger.

I feel like this strange 'fate' element is undermining the 'human heart in conflict' angle of the whole series. 

It's like B&W made it their mission to destroy any semblance of ASOIAF in the show and to dumb down Martin's books as much as they could

4 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Just so we're clear....my weekend started off Thursday night with Daniel Jones and end with this steaming pile of crap. I'm done, I'm walking away and done with this ridiculous show.

Ha I was thinking the same thing last night. Right there with you

They announced the Next asoiaf lore based series will be called "the long Night". 

Guess It will be one episode long... Haha.. How i laughed when i discovered this episode's name.

Edit: at second thought, maybe the long night was referring to us ranting and raving till 3 am.

56 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

I'm amazed they made Bran pointless:

I mean, really? Really?

What did you expect? The character was pointless in the show since he got out of the cave. He could have done something to prevent Littlefinger's scheme last season as soon as he showed up. But he did ... nothing. How on earth could you or anyone believe he would or could do anything to stop the zombie army?

The editing might be the worst aspect of this entire episode. Characters would be in the walls then back out and then in the walls in one scene after another. We watched Tormund and Hound run into Winterfell, then next scene they are hacking and slashing outside again.

Arya is seen sliding down a roof right near Jaime and Brienne with hordes of undead around them. Then next scene she is creeping around the library with a few wights just hanging out.

Davos waves some flags to alert a fire and then is never seen again until conveniently he comes across Mel.

It was so bad.

So. We have three more episodes, and all three are 80-90 mins long, right? Why on earth do we need 3 long episodes now? Just to deal w/ Cersei? All the characters in the north can just have a bbq or a picnic, just send Arya to kill Cersei, UnGregor, Qyburn and Euron. Piece of cake for someone who took out a whole house single-handedly - and probably the largest house in terms of how many members it had, no less - and the NK and the WWs and ended the LN. What a joke. 

4 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

The editing might be the worst aspect of this entire episode. Characters would be in the walls then back out and then in the walls in one scene after another. We watched Tormund and Hound run into Winterfell, then next scene they are hacking and slashing outside again.

Arya is seen sliding down a roof right near Jaime and Brienne with hordes of undead around them. Then next scene she is creeping around the library with a few wights just hanging out.

Davos waves some flags to alert a fire and then is never seen again until conveniently he comes across Mel.

It was so bad.

I noticed that.

There was one jarring shot where Kit Harrington is flying in the snow storm and frantically looking around for Emilia Clarke. The camera cuts and logically you'd think it's going to cut to her, but instead it cuts to an angle at the back of his head. With the darkness I thought it was her at first, before realising it's him. It was very sloppy during all the outside action shots.

6 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

It was so bad.

Yes!!! It was horrible. Yikes.

Well...

Of this we can be sure.

The way that the Others storyline will end in the books is going to be completely different -- worlds apart. A lot more people will be dead by this point of the story.  The Prince that Was Promised and the Azor Ahai plots are not going to be dropped and shoved underneath the rug. And Melisandre will not disappear only to reappear and then die for no reason.

Can we talk about Melisandre? Like what was the point of her being an old woman in disguise? Why did she take off her magic choker and die in this episode when she has taken off her magical choker before and didn't die? Better yet, what was the point of her being gone for so long only to die? What did she do in Volantis?

13 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Well...

Of this we can be sure.

The way that the Others storyline will end in the books is going to be completely different -- worlds apart. A lot more people will be dead by this point of the story.  The Prince that Was Promised and the Azor Ahai plots are not going to be dropped and shoved underneath the rug. And Melisandre will not disappear only to reappear and then die for no reason.

Can we talk about Melisandre? Like what was the point of her being an old woman in disguise? Why did she take off her magic choker and die in this episode when she has taken off her magical choker before and didn't die? Better yet, what was the point of her being gone for so long only to die? What did she do in Volantis?

Because Raloo wasn't done with her yet. Now her watch has ended, the ruby's fire has gone out, and she's dead.

15 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Well...

Of this we can be sure.

Also how the fuck did she get to Winterfell past an entire undead army? She just rides up casually out of nowhere.

Ok so here goes...

- Wtf is up with making the screen so dark? I understand that it's nighttime and the WW always bring a blizzard to the party and the showmakers wanted to demonstrate what it was actually like for the characters there, BUT... I just didn't see anything for, like, the first 30 minutes. Also it was incredibly blurry.
- When I actually could see something, the camera cuts just became way too rapid so I had a hard time understanding who was on screen and what was happening.
- The Dothraki charge was indeed pointless, save for a nice visual touch.
- It would have helped in the beginning if at least one of the dragons would have done a quick sweep above the wight army and done some roasting.
- Brienne, Jaime and a couple of others got literally covered in wights like 5 times, yet they emerge with minor scratches? Meanwhile, minor characters / extras in a similar situation would be devoured in 2 seconds. Plot armour....
- Ghost is about as useful for the plot as Varys at this point.
- As mentioned many times, battle strategies make zero sense, except from a budget point of view. What's the point of the archers? etc.
- Dany and Jon just riding the dragons bareback in the heat of a sky battle and not falling off...
- I don't even have anything to say about the Night King's heat resistance level...
- Ok so the wights can kick and punch through solid stone tombs but are totally contained within a crate all the way from beyond the Wall to KL?
- Wights are super inconsistent creatures. Apparently some of them bleed when you stab them, even though they look like they've been dead a while before becoming wights???
- I thought it ridiculous and stupid how Jon just faced Viserion and yelled at him. Was he seriously gonna stabby him in the mouth or what? Jon really knows nothing about dragons.
- What was the point of even having the other WWs there? They were just walking S L O W L Y and then standing and staring at Bran. I wish Theon had been given an opportunity to kill one of them. UGH
- Oh okay so Arya saves the day... Yup. Makes so much sense.
- Way too few deaths! This should have been a much more devastating episode in terms of body count. I was expecting to see Brienne, Davos, Grey Worm and Gilly (+ maybe Little Sam) killed.

Overall very anti-climatic and an unsatisfying end to the NK story arc. It had its moments, but those moments were pretty scarce. I felt that D&D underestimated us watchers big time. "We think we know what you want" [insert 80 minutes of fan service]. I expected so much more but unfortunately the negative points far outweigh the positives. I'm not sure what to expect from the next episode, probably gonna be a very slow paced one after all this.

Archived