Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

I am truly shocked by how awful that episode was from start to finish.  The Mel stuff was the highlight, and while I love Arya and her ninja skills, we're still watching entertainment....and from a story perspective it doesn't make much sense, either that the NK and his army die and we have no idea of their agenda or what the designs were meant to convey, or why Arya was the killer.  It also means that all the deaths were in vain, they never needed dragons or armies in the first place, just a FM.

56 minutes ago, Aderyn said:

Ok so here goes...

- Wtf is up with making the screen so dark? I understand that it's nighttime and the WW always bring a blizzard to the party and the showmakers wanted to demonstrate what it was actually like for the characters there, BUT... I just didn't see anything for, like, the first 30 minutes. Also it was incredibly blurry.
- When I actually could see something, the camera cuts just became way too rapid so I had a hard time understanding who was on screen and what was happening.
- The Dothraki charge was indeed pointless, save for a nice visual touch.
- It would have helped in the beginning if at least one of the dragons would have done a quick sweep above the wight army and done some roasting.
- Brienne, Jaime and a couple of others got literally covered in wights like 5 times, yet they emerge with minor scratches? Meanwhile, minor characters / extras in a similar situation would be devoured in 2 seconds. Plot armour....
- Ghost is about as useful for the plot as Varys at this point.
- As mentioned many times, battle strategies make zero sense, except from a budget point of view. What's the point of the archers? etc.
- Dany and Jon just riding the dragons bareback in the heat of a sky battle and not falling off...
- I don't even have anything to say about the Night King's heat resistance level...
- Ok so the wights can kick and punch through solid stone tombs but are totally contained within a crate all the way from beyond the Wall to KL?
- Wights are super inconsistent creatures. Apparently some of them bleed when you stab them, even though they look like they've been dead a while before becoming wights???
- I thought it ridiculous and stupid how Jon just faced Viserion and yelled at him. Was he seriously gonna stabby him in the mouth or what? Jon really knows nothing about dragons.
- What was the point of even having the other WWs there? They were just walking S L O W L Y and then standing and staring at Bran. I wish Theon had been given an opportunity to kill one of them. UGH
- Oh okay so Arya saves the day... Yup. Makes so much sense.
- Way too few deaths! This should have been a much more devastating episode in terms of body count. I was expecting to see Brienne, Davos, Grey Worm and Gilly (+ maybe Little Sam) killed.

Overall very anti-climatic and an unsatisfying end to the NK story arc. It had its moments, but those moments were pretty scarce. I felt that D&D underestimated us watchers big time. "We think we know what you want" [insert 80 minutes of fan service]. I expected so much more but unfortunately the negative points far outweigh the positives. I'm not sure what to expect from the next episode, probably gonna be a very slow paced one after all this.

DAMN!!  That may be the best point I've seen raised since the episode aired.  I guess that's just so last season, though? 

3 hours ago, A Dance with Davos said:

The logistics of Arya's NK assassination aside, I must thank Melisande for the not so subtle reminder of the prophecy that Arya will kill "blue eyes". Talk about spoilers. Anyway for those wondering about how she got past all the WWs, I saw someone make an excellent point: The episode was so dark, not even the WWs could see Arya coming.

:lmao: good point

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why is the NK fireproof?  Is  he a secret Targ?

Don't you want to know why Valyrian steel could even harm him? There was no explanation for that, either.

Just now, Lord Varys said:

Don't you want to know why Valyrian steel could even harm him? There was no explanation for that, either.

There is not exactly a book explanation for why Valyrian steel and dragonglass kill the Others either, the supposition being that it's "fire" made into weapons so it kills the "ice" of the Others....therefore dragonfire should kill him if we're going to be consistent, but the show doesn't care about anything making sense, so we got a badass moment that renders everything else around the WW/Others meaningless.

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

That;s an interesting point, it certainly would have been worth a try.  Maybe the dragons had already had it with all the snow tornadoes?  They didn't dare try the ultimate Ice Pop, NK.  Hey, hahaha,, that works in more ways than one, if you think about it.  The NK was the Pop of all the Ice, and a possibly snack that the dragons thought might just be a bit too cold to try. 

I think you could say that d&d foresaw that logical question, so they lampshaded it in epi 1 by letting us know the dragons weren't hungry :lmao:

10 hours ago, Remember said:

So much to rant and rave about, and people have done a pretty good job of calling it out. One additional thing that pisses me off about the AOTD being defeated so completely is that the rest of Westeros has NO IDEA what happened. No real way for Danny to gather approval and support from houses that don't see her as a rightful Queen. 

It doesn't matter.  If Benioff and Weiss want Dany on the Throne, they will just pretend that the southern houses know everything about what happened at Winterfell.  How did they find out?  Well it doesn't matter.

40 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

D&D changed that at Hardhome IIRC. It certainly was already added as the weaknesses of wights during the wight-hunt, and Jon showed it could be done that way during the expo in the dragonpit. So, it's show-canon for a while now, but yeah, it's definitely an issue.

LOL  I think the Ds actually changed the wights to Usain Bolt speed in the season 4 finale, when Bran and company were reaching the cave and were confronted by the super quick wights that looked like Dancing Skeletons.  Poor Jojen. 

The super speedy skeletons start at about the 2 min mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83EPdpfIYwU

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Yes.

Not to mention that she also shows up with absolutely nothing.

And why is Davos still so hellbent on killing her. While Melisandre made multiple big mistakes (Davos made at least one), the fall of House Baratheon is Stannis' fault. No one else's.

I agree.  Davos was acting like a creepy stalker.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There is not exactly a book explanation for why Valyrian steel and dragonglass kill the Others either, the supposition being that it's "fire" made into weapons so it kills the "ice" of the Others....therefore dragonfire should kill him if we're going to be consistent, but the show doesn't care about anything making sense, so we got a badass moment that renders everything else around the WW/Others meaningless.

Actually, there is no confirmation in the books that Valyrian steel can harm or kill the Others. At this point it is only dragonglass and references that, possibly, 'dragonsteel' can harm them as well.

But obsidian as 'frozen fire' and dragonsteel and Valyrian steel as weapons that are likely imbued with dragonfire magic make it very obvious that dragonfire is most definitely going to destroy the Others in the books.

19 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I am truly shocked by how awful that episode was from start to finish.  The Mel stuff was the highlight, and while I love Arya and her ninja skills, we're still watching entertainment....and from a story perspective it doesn't make much sense, either that the NK and his army die and we have no idea of their agenda or what the designs were meant to convey, or why Arya was the killer.  It also means that all the deaths were in vain, they never needed dragons or armies in the first place, just a FM.

That's another thing!!!

The designs. The circles.

game-of-thrones-spoils-of-war-details-wh

Callback-Days-First-Men.gif

What-Does-Fire-Spiral-Symbol-Game-Throne

2016-06-07.jpg

tumblr_ln54wuqlwv1qjyni8o1_500.jpg

game-of-thrones-symbols-cave.png?w=685

House-Targaryen-heraldry.jpgHouse-Targaryen-heraldry.jpg

Yet.....nothing.

So.....

Ultimately all the things they did to build up Jon and Daenerys. The Dragons being born from fossilized stone eggs. Rhaegar and Lyanna nstarting a war to produce Jon. The magic returning/becoming stroner around Dany and her dragons. Mellisandre bringing back Jon because he was "important". Quaithe helping Daenerys for some unknown purpose. The scores of women in red dresses all over Essos hailing Daenerys' central role in the War for the Dawn.
It was just some random bullpoop that happened for no apparent reason, because all that was needed were Arya and a knife...

....what?

I had to dig up my old account just to post on this thread. I haven’t even caught up with what everyone has said so far but here’s my take. 

The first 10 minutes was like this. 

https://youtu.be/sXE8LdXzeHM

Followed by this. 

https://youtu.be/vhwAndZIkp8

Jusy so much ridiculous plot armour and non-sensical happenings. 

As several folks have already mentioned, this tripe only bodes well for the books being good as GRRM couldn’t possibly serve up such rubbish. 

31 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

Anyone find it amusing that in all 8 seasons of the show, nobody had as good a duel with an Other as Ser Waymar Royce did in the prologue of the AGOT book? And that scene had actual emotion behind it. A young knight, out of his depth, braving a not-seen-in-countless-years supernatural creatures and dying bravely and tragically. 

Damn, you've managed to make the episode and show story look even worse.  I didn't think that was possible.  Thank you, Good Ser.  :lmao:

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

So.....

Ultimately all the things they did to build up Jon and Daenerys. The Dragons being born from fossilized stone eggs. Rhaegar and Lyanna nstarting a war to produce Jon. The magic returning/becoming stroner around Dany and her dragons. Mellisandre bringing back Jon because he was "important". Quaithe helping Daenerys for some unknown purpose. The scores of women in red dresses all over Essos hailing Daenerys' central role in the War for the Dawn.
It was just some random bullpoop that happened for no apparent reason, because all that was needed were Arya and a knife...

....what?

Apparently.  They only needed a few dozen people at Winterfell, not vast armies because the ninja assassin trap was the answer.  Nothing to do with dragons, fire and ice, the lord of light, the old gods, magic, or anything.  Jon might as well have stayed dead for all the use he was.

Archived