Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

3 hours ago, Rockroi said:

So all this to lead up to a showdown with a crazy queen and her lying pirate boyfriend?  Seems a little anti-climactic given that the winning side has two dragons and Cersei is stuck with, you know, Cersei.  

You're forgetting they have 2 dragons , but most importantly, an Arya ;)

14 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I think you could say that d&d foresaw that logical question, so they lampshaded it in epi 1 by letting us know the dragons weren't hungry :lmao:

LOL  I like it.  Thank you for working with it.  :lol::thumbsup:

And it turns out, Cersei was right to betray them and save her army.  Okay then.  Dany should have stayed on Dragonstone with her armies as well.  All they needed was Arya and her mad assassin skills.  Could have saved tens of thousands of lives there.

Oh, what happened to the wildling army?  Where are they?  Dead?  It didn't seem like Tormond is leading anyone anymore?

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

So the crypts weren't a big deal after all?  That was one of the elements I was most hyped for with the internet's help heading into that episode...

Nah, nothing meaningful there. I'm half-convinced they did it partly because PJ had civilians in such a place in TTT (The Glittering Caves). As it happens, it was just really there for some brief Walking Dead-style zombie action. 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

And it turns out, Cersei was right to betray them and save her army.  Okay then.  Dany should have stayed on Dragonstone with her armies as well.  All they needed was Arya and her mad assassin skills.  Could have saved tens of thousands of lives there.

Oh, what happened to the wildling army?  Where are they?  Dead?  It didn't seem like Tormond is leading anyone anymore?

To be fair, you also need Mel, not just Arya. Someone has to give the coach's 4th quarter pep talk.

Apologies if anyone has already ranted at length on this:

But I don’t understand (other than for production budget trumping storyline on the world’s biggest show!) why the white walkers & viserion would crumble on the NK’s destruction..?

The wights - fair enough - they’re under his direct spell.

But the rest are animated by the magical ice spear & have their own super powers. The NK wouldn’t die if his maker is killed, so why should they? 

The WWs & white dragon should have needed independent killing. They are powered by a magical object not spell - i think...

So I just re-watched the Arya killing Night King scene and I picked up on something I missed the first time. which makes it just even lazier then I thought originally. 

1st Let's establish what you would have to go through to get to the Night king. The Godswood was filled with White Walkers and Wights standing more or less shoulder to shoulder. And there were several rows of them.

2nd After the Theon death and slow walk to Bran we get this gem. The camera focuses on a White walker and his hair blows with the wind. Then jump attack. 

I didn't catch it the first watch, but Arya was apparently running so fast through the crowded godswood that she actually created a breeze. Of course the Night King and none of the others would have been able to stop/sense her, she also has the powers of the Flash.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Apparently.  They only needed a few dozen people at Winterfell, not vast armies because the ninja assassin trap was the answer.  Nothing to do with dragons, fire and ice, the lord of light, the old gods, magic, or anything.  Jon might as well have stayed dead for all the use he was.

Desperately sad but true. I think D&D are under the mistaken impression that we will all be entirely invested in Jon claiming his birthright, why? he has done nothing to deserve it . It's so funny that Mellisandre even listed the eyes Arya will close forever in the order it would have made the most sense, Brown eyes, green eyes (cersei) and then finally blue eyes of the Nightking. This whole thing reeks of D&D idiotically rewriting the story

3 hours ago, Elayis said:

I really hated how zombie like the wights were. I know they've been like that since season 4, but after suffering through a binge watch of TWD recently I can't take those groans and screeches anymore. What made the wights different and legitimately threatening was their silence. You couldn't hear them coming, and no matter how many times you stabbed them or limbs you cut off they'd keep coming.

It was a huge mistake to turn them into Skeletor clones. Magic was always part of their creation, but there's nothing plausible about a skeleton moving without muscles. 

It was also a big missed opportunity to bring back some familiar faces (Hodor, Rickon, Osha, even Ramsay).

Originally the WWs could screech (S2 finale, attack of the Fist), and a language was developed for them (Scroth), but never really used. And yeah, the wights are supposed to be silent. Then, George left the writing team, and D&D changed the stuff: WWs completely silent, wights screechers who can suddenly be super fast, and insert the "created by Children" backstory for no other reason (I guess they read a theory on the internet and thought "oh, cool!"). That's why they reversed the "who makes noise" imo: because if you have humanoids looking like a different species, possibly other lifeform, utter a completely inhuman sound and noise, all the viewers will think "different species!", and that didn't work with the cool theory they read on the internet. But actual humans who have just returned from the dead, can screech to their heart's content, because 'zombies'.

- I never liked or cared about Dothraki but sending them blindly to their own death? Really?  Just for a cool scene of lights going out? This is stupid.

- Just as stupid as having all your catapults in the open field instead of inside the castle.

- Sam's plot armor is outrageous at this point. He should have been dead several times during the episode.

- Melissandre conveniently appears out of nowhere and despite the undead horde being in her way. Sorta like the guys from the previous episode. And also conveniently self-destructs.

- Dany why are you landing on the field of battle? Do you not understand that being in the air is the only advantage you and your dragon have?

- So  what was the point of Jon Snow again? Why was he brought back from the dead? Just to have sex with his aunt and rule beside her?

- Never thought I'd say it, but not enough main characters died. Theon and Beric were not that important to begin with. so it's basically just Jorah. Lyanna doesn't count at all

- Cercei as final baddie for 3 episodes is lame. No offence to Lena Headey, whom I always like to see on screen.

Bran has been counter productive as the 3 eyed raven.  The Reeds know R+J=L, so he wasn't needed as that source.  The prior 3 eyed raven was safe in the cave (Bran broke the spell protecting him and the CoF).  LF was dead eitherway.   How the CoF made the NK doesn't matter, since Arya lucked into hitting the right spot.

This is in addition to all the other ruined arcs previously mentioned.

It seems like, reading the cast interviews, they simply thought that Arya killing the NK instead of Jon would be a GOT type 'surprise' twist.  Which I guess it is, but it's unearned, it doesn't fit with the story that had been laid down about magic or king's blood, or anything really.  And, it wouldn't have been a bad idea if all these battle hardened generals had at least discussed how to use the skills of a faceless man in the battle, but no one ever says word one about it. 

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Originally the WWs could screech (S2 finale, attack of the Fist), and a language was developed for them (Scroth), but never really used. And yeah, the wights are supposed to be silent. Then, George left the writing team, and D&D changed the stuff: WWs completely silent, wights screechers who can suddenly be super fast, and insert the "created by Children" backstory for no other reason (I guess they read a theory on the internet and thought "oh, cool!"). That's why they reversed the "who makes noise" imo: because if you have humanoids looking like a different species, possibly other lifeform, utter a completely inhuman sound and noise, all the viewers will think "different species!", and that didn't work with the cool theory they read on the internet. But actual humans who have just returned from the dead, can screech to their heart's content, because 'zombies'.

I do think the children creating them is from George.  The showrunners would never have thought of something so clever, and that's why the end feels so underwhelming and unearned. 

30 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I am truly shocked by how awful that episode was from start to finish.  The Mel stuff was the highlight, and while I love Arya and her ninja skills, we're still watching entertainment....and from a story perspective it doesn't make much sense, either that the NK and his army die and we have no idea of their agenda or what the designs were meant to convey, or why Arya was the killer.  It also means that all the deaths were in vain, they never needed dragons or armies in the first place, just a FM.

THIS is so true. And they can t simply ignore the AA/tptwp stuff. They mentioned it last season and some seasons ago with stannis! It should mean something!

I don t understand how anyone can think that the last 3 episodes as a whole were good. People should be linking this to lost's last season. It is the same or worse crap! It doesn t explain any of the questions the show raised in previous seasons!

Like how did the people defeat the ww before? why are they attacking now? And then we have several story arc that were completly ruined! what was the point of bran becoming the 3ec? why the build up between jon and the NK? What was the point of danny and her dragons?

The story in this season has bem awfull!

2 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

Desperately sad but true. I think D&D are under the mistaken impression that we will all be entirely invested in Jon claiming his birthright, why? he has done nothing to deserve it . It's so funny that Mellisandre even listed the eyes Arya will close forever in the order it would have made the most sense, Brown eyes, green eyes (cersei) and then finally blue eyes of the Nightking. This whole thing reeks of D&D idiotically rewriting the story

The original scene with Mel giving the eye quote to Arya is in a different order.  Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes.  Which makes sense IF Arya is the one to kill Cersei.  If not, it's just a sloppy call back.  Damn, Arya has just become EVERYONE instead of NO ONE.  She's Lady Stoneheart, Lord Manderly the Maker of Frey Pies, and now.....TPTWP and/or Azor Ahai?  I love Arya, but damn.......she doesn't have to be EVERYONE!!

Here's' the clip of Mel saying the eye color in a different order in season 3?  It's all over the net already. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7Oe7e08pU

17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

So the crypts weren't a big deal after all?  That was one of the elements I was most hyped for with the internet's help heading into that episode...

Yep. This has to be a huge letdown to lots of theorists. All the theories about the crypts holding the secrets to defeating winter. All the references and scenes they did throughout this season. And in the end, nothing. Just some completely implausible scenes with dead corpses that should be ash and dust by now somehow busting through stone tombs when a wooden box kept them contained in the past.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It seems like, reading the cast interviews, they simply thought that Arya killing the NK instead of Jon would be a GOT type 'surprise' twist.  Which I guess it is, but it's unearned, it doesn't fit with the story that had been laid down about magic or king's blood, or anything really.  And, it wouldn't have been a bad idea if all these battle hardened generals had at least discussed how to use the skills of a faceless man in the battle, but no one ever says word one about it. 

It is that crap about subvert people's expectations all over again. Even if doesn t make sense in the story!

If they wanted arya to have an important role she should have been disguised as a wight that stabs the NK in the back and then other people can kill him. Given all the mithology in the show it just couldn t be her!

FM are supposed to be great at stealth, so her showing up as a surprise is okay I guess, but it is unsatisfying because it feels so unearned, and it makes both Jon and Dany in the end superfluous to the battle against the dead.  All of Jons ranting about needing every man, nope, wrong.  Dany sacrificing her armies and a dragon, nope, wrong.  All they needed is a good FM to do the job.  It undercuts so much of the story that has been built up, only for the sake of a twist and Arya fan service.

Archived