Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

3 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

You know in all seriousness I would've been ok with Arya having all the badass scenes she needs in relation to Cersei even if she removes the mountain aka Robert Strong and denies us Cleganebowl because they changed the mountain so many times on the show there really isn't anything organic there between the two brothers but to have them completely remove Jon's purpose in the story is unforgivable. It was pure fanservice to the female audience.

Arya having an important role against cersei is what makes sense! She has hated her since s1. 

Jon has no invested interest in the story in KL. It would make much more sense for him to have less pivotal role in KL...

Oh and what do you wanna bet that we will have bragging about arya killing the NK next ep?

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

No, I also meant dragonglass and steel. All steel can do is chop them up in little bitty pieces that still keep moving. Burning or cracking bone marrow - that stops them from being animated.

My apologies then.

46 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  I think the Ds actually changed the wights to Usain Bolt speed in the season 4 finale, when Bran and company were reaching the cave and were confronted by the super quick wights that looked like Dancing Skeletons.  Poor Jojen. 

The super speedy skeletons start at about the 2 min mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83EPdpfIYwU

:lol: I stand corrected.

3 minutes ago, divica said:

At this point this isn t about book purism.

It is just bad tv. They don t even respect what they have said in their show! The AA/ptwp is a thing in got. People having huge reactions about r+l=j is human nature! People wanting to know why it is thought that lyanna was kidnaped and raped is logical! People wanting to know why the ww are atacking now is obvious. Why only some people are made ww? How were they defeated before? And a bunch of other crap!

:agree: I can remember in their own show at some point a character makes a statement along the lines of 'the smallfolk don't care about this lord or another fighting they care about their harvests etc' Why would we the smallfolk care about Jon being king at this point. I'd support Dany in her claim, at least she provided the dragons and the army

6 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

You know in all seriousness I would've been ok with Arya having all the badass scenes she needs in relation to Cersei even if she removes the mountain aka Robert Strong and denies us Cleganebowl because they changed the mountain so many times on the show there really isn't anything organic there between the two brothers but to have them completely remove Jon's purpose in the story is unforgivable. It was pure fanservice to the female audience.

Hi there, I'm Lady Fevre Dream, a female.  There are many females in this thread right now.  Where does this idea come from that it's fan service for more than half of the world's population?  There are many females here that complain about the simplicity of the Ds ideas when it comes to females and female characters. 

4 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It seems nobody understand the concept of earned surprised.  This is the same as the TLJ nonesense in SW, any hack can come up with a surprise that comes out of nowhere and isn't setup which surprises people.  But those types of surprises are totally unsatisfying. The genius is to set it up and still have it come as a surprise, that was the brilliance of something like the Red Wedding, in retrospect all the signs were there, but it still surprises you anyway when it happens.

Exactly this.

D&D have been doing this for so long now it's hardly even a surprise any more.

They think surprises are better than telling a coherent story.

38 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOLOL  It would make more sense than the nothing we've been given. 

Agreed... new theory: NK wasn't a Stark. He was a Valyrian dragonlord. :lmao: That smirk of his gave it away... "Gotcha! I'm the third head of the dragon. I can ride a dragon and I'm fireproof."

Bran was made for the Long Night. This episode was supposed to be Bran's moment to shine. I expected the wights to surround and lay siege to Winterfell from the North. So far, so good. Then I expected Bran to skin change into every wild animal in the wood simultaneously. Every bear, wolf, bird of prey, etc. All of 'em. Winterfell would be surrounded by an army of one million dead things and they in turn would be surrounded by one million changed things. They were supposed to rip the dead to pieces and pin them to the ground so that the men and women have time to deal with them properly by fire. 

Doing this would have the added benefit of resolving a mystery in the show. The Night King has had thousands of years to attack the North. Why now? Well, if Bran is able to neutralize his army of wights and further is able to show his future students how to do the same then it stands to reason that the monster would see him as a new threat to be dealt with at once. Bran's power represents a new ability in the world that could destroy him. Further, the NK's opposition to Bran would make him the hero of the story which would be a big revelation. 

5 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It seems nobody understand the concept of earned surprised.  This is the same as the TLJ nonesense in SW, any hack can come up with a surprise that comes out of nowhere and isn't setup which surprises people.  But those types of surprises are totally unsatisfying. The genius is to set it up and still have it come as a surprise, that was the brilliance of something like the Red Wedding, in retrospect all the signs were there, but it still surprises you anyway when it happens.

And to me the problem is the alarming high number of people that like this tipe of surprises. I see them and I think unfulfiling and bad writing and then there are scores of people calling it brillant because it is unexpected...

One of the things that I find hard to believe is that people don t realize that by doing this it the ep won t become a classic that people will want to see several times. There is no epicness or fulfiling moments that when it reruns will make you want to watch it again. Just something that comes out of nowhere that you already know about after the first time.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Hi there, I'm Lady Fevre Dream, a female.  There are many females in this thread right now.  Where does this idea come from that it's fan service for more than half of the world's population?  There are many females here that complain about the simplicity of the Ds ideas when it comes to females and female characters. 

My apologies. I didn't mean to imply that all women would be happy with their changes or that women didn't have every right to see strong female characters in the story just that D&D appear to have lost the run of themselves in terms of having female characters in virtually every action scene now at the expense of story arcs that are well thought out and foreshawdowed . 

3 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Exactly this.

D&D have been doing this for so long now it's hardly even a surprise any more.

They think surprises are better than telling a coherent story.

I'm only disappointed that the NK didn't trip over a dead body and fall on a dagger and die, that would have been truly "unexpected'.

3 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Kind of leads one to ask if the NK was only after Bran? would he have been happy to stop at Winterfell after he had got Bran? Is Bran secretly a villain having set all these people up to protect him, and him alone, if the NK was after Bran and only Bran. It may have saved thousands of lives if they had of just dropped bran off up beyond the wall to appease the NK! the thing is, and I actually like Bran, that the way this show has been presented to us then sacrificing Bran makes a lot if sense, but only because we have no idea what the NKs true motivation is and though I am being a little Ironic in suggesting to just give Bran up, but a hell of a lot of people died unnecessarily if the NK just wanted Bran, which is how it was made to look by the NKs actions in this episode. In short, it was bad storytelling, presented impressively with a really feel good climax, that leaves one extremely unfulfilled when all the plot holes and unanswered questions springs to mind. This show, man, it really could have been something spectacular, it started that way, it had the potential, and yet this is what it evolved into . such a damn shame

This is really bothering me, actually since episode 2 when Bran explained that the reason the Night King would come after him is because the Night King wants to wipe out all men and the 3ER has the memory of man's history in his mind. So in that sense, killing the 3ER would be sort of a final victory, a vanquishing of all of man. But...most of humanity is still alive and well and in fact, has no idea any of this is going on and seem to be out of reach of the Night King. Essos exists. Not only that, but no one else in the world seems to know that the 3ER is the keeper of their history, and HE NEVER SHARES ANYTHING so it's not like he really is this important great historian. I'm sure the Citadel would completely scoff at the notion. Even if you kill the 3ER, humanity would be completely fine.

If it's all about the 3ER, why did the Night King choose now to rise up and create this vast Army? The 3ER is always around, if he was the target, the Night King has had forever to come after him. The only reason the Raven is in any danger is because Bran let the Night King mark him, and that leads one to question why Bran was chosen to be the Raven at all when the Raven was safely hidden in a tree and protected by the Children for so many years. He could have just stayed like that and not chosen a literal child who would only ever serve as bait.

I feel like the entire Bran/Raven/Night King storyline has been a complete waste of time. You don't need any of this to have some ice zombies for an exciting battle if that's all you want. It's crushing how little significance this has to anyone outside the North, and honestly, most of the North also doesn't seem to know they have a Three Eyed Raven they should care about. 

10 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

The Dothraki

The Dothraki in Westeros presented a complicated problem. They light their swords on fire with Melisandre magic, ride into the dead army. The inconvinient Dothraki are no longer a problem.

Right, also not very good for an attack on KL. So, wiped out for convenience’s sake.

Next ones on the list: a bunch of Unsullied.

5 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Agreed... new theory: NK wasn't a Stark. He was a Valyrian dragonlord. :lmao: That smirk of his gave it away... "Gotcha! I'm the third head of the dragon. I can ride a dragon and I'm fireproof."

He could have used some ice powers to counter the fire. But no! he just stayed there! Like, really?

And from where came the huge fog? It arrived after the dead.

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Where does this idea come from that it's fan service for more than half of the world's population?  There are many females here that complain about the simplicity of the Ds ideas when it comes to females and female characters. 

it comes for juvenile sexist view of what feminism is and a fundamental misunderstanding of how women think. what they're really confusing is hack writers pandering for market shares of a growing empowered female population with real feminist view. but that would take understanding and not blind anger .

this story line is trash because its badly writer and there is no other way to look at it.

24 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I did think the Children creating them was basically confirmed by George as well, it's been awhile and I'd have to do research, but I'm pretty sure it was a basic confirmation on that point as well.  As basic as it can get with this, anyway.  Same on something with Hold The Door for Hodor.  Those words are where his name comes from, right? 

No, George did not confirm it. Someone asked in an interview whether there was a relationship between the Others and the Children, and George said, "possibly, possibly... I will get into that more in later books." While the interviewer is condering an "alliance" relationship, George never confirms that. And in fact, Will's shivering and hugging the tree and staying silent out of fear in the prologue sort of gives it away. You can argue with circumstantial evidence that the Children knew of the existence of the Others (it's why they used obsidian and lived high up in trees), and stayed mum about them, even after the Pact between humans and children (that already stood for centuries or several thousand of years). And the information that George gives us about the Others in those 2 scenes makes quite clear they are an other form of life, another species. Own ice-like speech, tall and elongated, having a density that enables them to move on fresh snow without leaving imprints, etc... George compared them to the Sidhe to Patterson when making illustrations.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

Q: Is there a closer relationship between the children of the forest and the Others than there might seem to be?

GRRM: Possibly, possibly. It's a topic that will be developing as the story continues, and so I can't say much more right now.

Archived