Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

Just watching that first scene with all these familiar characters walking in the courtyard, preparing for a battle they doubt they'll win, would have been such a powerful scene had I just . . . cared at all at this point. I can't imagine how impactful this episode would have been had I been as invested as in the first 4 seasons, and that hurts. A lot. Now, more than ever, it feels like I've lost something I loved.

And I don't know if there's anything I can say that hasn't been said about this amazing conclusion to 7+ seasons of build-up. Don't worry, guys! If we just stab global warming right where it hurts, we can go back to squabbling about who has the biggest button sitting on their desk!

The Night King, the White Walkers and the Army of the Dead ended up being nothing more than a plot device that thinned out Dany's army so that Cersei can sip wine while smiling a bit more smugly. All of this had basically the same impact as Euron destroying Dorne's fleet, or Jaime attacking Highgarden. Think about that for a second. Seasons 7-8 so far have just been a series of unfortunate events that thin out Daenerys' OP army.

How anyone can be satisfied with this I can't understand.

How did Arya get her dagger back?

I know there was quite a bit wrong with the episode as a whole.

But I thought she had given her dagger to Sansa at the beginning of the episode to take it to the crypt. When did she get it back?

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The New York Times is trash and has been for a couple of years now.

They are lazy excuses for journalists.

Like I have never seen a show make as many mistakes as Game of Thrones has and still receive blind praise.

19 Emmys incoming!!!

4 hours ago, darksellsword said:

I genuinely and sincerely would've had more respect for the plot if Arya had been in the weirtree the whole time

Yeah!  How hard would it have been to show Arya creeping along the battlements and sneaking into the branches of the heart tree?  And don't have Theon do the oh-so-dramatic but incredibly senseless slow-motion suicide charge but instead have the NK come to him and cut him down.  Gives Theon a more logical yet still "heroic" death and puts NK under the tree where Arya can jump on him:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I'm only disappointed that the NK didn't trip over a dead body and fall on a dagger and die, that would have been truly "unexpected'.

Agreed!  I'd make one small change to this scenario however: I feel the NK slippin' on a banana peel would be much more appropriate at this point:D

Honestly, I believe the showrunners don't even care at all anymore and haven't for a long time.  Furthermore, I think they have nothing but contempt for the audience.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

How did Arya get her dagger back?

I know there was quite a bit wrong with the episode as a whole.

But I thought she had given her dagger to Sansa at the beginning of the episode to take it to the crypt. When did she get it back?

She gave Sansa a dragonglass dagger not  her catspaw valyrian dagger

9 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I began lowering my standards after season 5 and once I let go of my expectations it was more enjoyable. Each season, however, I have to lower my standards more and yet they keep sliding under the bar. They are good at spectacle that I can just enjoy in the moment, but it does not hold up as a coherent or consistent story afterwards. It's the Chinese food of TV.

Yeah, me too, my standards are about as low as they can get, and still this episode disappointed on all fronts...the insane darkness, so whatever 'cinematography' they employed is lost, the destruction of Jon and Dany's arcs, the lives wasted by bad military strategy, and the deus ex Arya, I was stunned at how bad this was.  And surely it will only be downhill from here, at the bottom of the canyon

This episode made me appreciate the unfinished book series more. If this is anywhere near how GRRM plans to end the series then maybe it's best he doesn't finish. Fanfiction would be more epic. More characters should have died. Jon should have killed the NK or at least been more of a factor in the overall battle. Dany should have been forced to kill Viserion. Sam should have died since he did absolutely nothing. Bran should have contributed more in the form of Ghost maybe. He could have warged into him instead of sitting there waiting to be rescued. The crypt scene could have been more epic in terms of people dying. For the way the episode was hyped it should have been better. 

Actually I think many people failed to see the point of the series and this episode kinda made it much clearer. It all boils down to that GRRM's rhetorical question about LOTR when he asked "And what happened after Aragorn won?" 

This is what Game of thrones and ASOIAF were always about, human conflict (both internal and external) and human nature ,not some living vs dead epic battle. I'm 100% sure at least that part about defeat of White walkers not being the real ending or even final confontation of the story was directly taken from GRRM even if not specifics.

25 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I began lowering my standards after season 5 and once I let go of my expectations it was more enjoyable. Each season, however, I have to lower my standards more and yet they keep sliding under the bar. They are good at spectacle that I can just enjoy in the moment, but it does not hold up as a coherent or consistent story afterwards. It's the Chinese food of TV.

A million times this. I stopped watching after season 4 and only caught up before last season started as my girlfriend wanted me to watch them with her. This episode really made me doubt that decision to dive back in to this tv series. 

On another note, someone asked about the library scene. It was tocshow how stealthy Ayra was. When she first ran under the table the wide shot had her making zero noise. The blood dripping was louder than her moving. That was the setup for the silent running through the godswood. To be honest, when I saw the wisp of hair moving on the WW I thought it was Ghost and I got super excited for a split second. Only to be super confused afterwards. 

7 minutes ago, Lazar Srećković said:

Actually I think many people failed to see the point of the series and this episode kinda made it much clearer. It all boils down to that GRRM's rhetorical question about LOTR when he asked "And what happened after Aragorn won?" 

This is what Game of thrones and ASOIAF were always about, human conflict (both internal and external) and human nature ,not some living vs dead epic battle. I'm 100% sure at least that part about defeat of White walkers not being the real ending or even final confontation of the story was directly taken from GRRM even if not specifics.

I think you are both wrong and right at the same time. I do believe George is going to have a substantial part of the ending devoted to what happens in the aftermath but David and Dan are just going to have it being all about Cersei so it's going to be extremely subpar stuff for the show unfortunately

4 minutes ago, Lazar Srećković said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. The show doesn’t have human conflict. In fact, characters on the show don’t even act and react as human beings, even fictional ones. The dialogue is shite, no one seems to know what they’re supposed to be doing, and characters personalities and motivations change as often as the plot requires them to. 

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

This doesn't have anythign to do with the "female audience" since Arya also removed Daenerys' purpose in the storyline. We now have those two dragon riding people who never got to do what they were built up to be.

Just because D&D thought they were SMRT by "subverting" everyone's expectations and handing over Jon and Dany's purpose in the plot to a character who hasn't had a decent story line or any well executed character development since season 4.
This is what people gonna get when they clammour for Song of Ice and Fire to "subvert ALL the tropes!!!" no matter whether it makes sense or not.

Thats kinda partially true as Yes Dany did want to fight the NK because of Jon and the dragon they killed... but her arch is the Iron Throne. 

22 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

19 Emmys incoming!!!

Yeah!  How hard would it have been to show Arya creeping along the battlements and sneaking into the branches of the heart tree?  And don't have Theon do the oh-so-dramatic but incredibly senseless slow-motion suicide charge but instead have the NK come to him and cut him down.  Gives Theon a more logical yet still "heroic" death and puts NK under the tree where Arya can jump on him:rolleyes:

They could've confirmed that Jon is a warg and had him warg ghost into grabbing the NightKings arm as he tried to stab Bran giving Arya enough time to jump from the tree and knife him. They should pay us for these plot lines:D

14 minutes ago, Lazar Srećković said:

So, the point of the series is that humans are awful and petty, and as soon as any major threat is neutralized we go back to being awful and petty to each other?  That's not much of a theme.

15 minutes ago, Lazar Srećković said:

It all boils down to that GRRM's rhetorical question about LOTR when he asked "And what happened after Aragorn won?" 

Except that it has always been a stupid question, because we know what happened after Aragorn won, the appendixes go into some detail about that and the many years he spent consolidating his power and forging/renewing alliances, it even describes the ways he refurbished and improved Minas Tirith.

And it has nothing to do with what happened this episode.

16 minutes ago, Lazar Srećković said:

I doubt this. GRRM has built a huge world with many magical storylines that seem far larger then the iron throne. 

I'm not used to go on rants, and especially not in English, but here I go.

I'm not going to repeat that's been said already: just like everyone, I thought the show was leading us to the idea that whoever gets their butt on the Iron Throne was not the point of the story, and now we have four more hours to spend on that matter only. Ok I guess.

What annoys me most now is this: WTF are Bran's motivations in the long run? I thought the whole Three-Eyed-Raven thing was about the long night and that only. I was pretty confused when Jon's heritage was brought into this, but I thought I had found some kind of rationale when I told myself "Well maybe his heritage has some role to play into the Night King's defeat or something". Bran even insisted this season so that Sam would tell Jon as soon as possible. Now, the NK is dead, the WW are all dead, and Jon's heritage had absolutely no use in these events. Therefore, R+L=J was not about the big threat, but only about politics.

Why the seven hells does Bran care so much about the Iron Throne? Why did the former Three-Eyed-Raven even care about it at all? It just doesn't make sense from what I gather.

This episode was horrible in so many ways. Really poorly done. D&D fanfiction at its worst.

Because:

-Melisandre appearing out of nowhere, no backstory, no reason, no explanation on why she came from the wrong direction. Also she does not do anything meaningful. 

-Dothraki suicide charge. Who ordered them to do that and why?

-Dragons fire charges, why so few?

-How did the wights become so easy to kill all of a sudden?

-Why no fighting for the White Walkers?

-Where and why did Bran warg? What was the purpose?

-How and when did Arya get into the library?

-Why weren't the walls manned directly after the retreat into Winterfell?

-How on earth did Arya ex Machina get into position to kill the Night King?

I'm really in no mood to even watch the remaining episodes. Predictable, fan fiction, fan service BS.

Archived