Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

17 minutes ago, ramla said:

Thats kinda partially true as Yes Dany did want to fight the NK because of Jon and the dragon they killed... but her arch is the Iron Throne. 

Imho there was always this dichotomy in Dany's story line; she thinks she goes to Westeros for the throne, but really she needs to go there to help saving the world with her Dragons. 
...except on the show now, where she might as well have stayed in Meereen because Ninja Arya did everything.

10 hours ago, Razha said:

So  I guess according to D&D the entire Rhaegar  + Lyanna, PTWP story was just meaningless waste of time?

Rhaegar  was just an idiot in love, and his affair with Lyanna just serves as a setup for Jon/Dany conflict  and has nothing to do with the others ?

I kind of asked this question in another thread, and yup, that's probably the best explanation.

I think this was brewing since the annulment, which made no sense to me.  It seems they just want him as a contender to Deny and for his arc to just fizzle out.

8 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

So what, Lyanna and Rhaegar just had Jon because they wanted to bang? There is nothing special about Jon? He came back to life... to stand by while Arya, Ninja Turtle fell down from the sky and ended the short night.

Arya the Blind, First of Her Name, Second Lady of Winterfell, Faceless Woman, Slayer of Night Kings, Baker of Pies, Wielder of Needle, Mistress of Direwolf, Lukewarm Greeter of Longlost Siblings, Ninja Turtle. 

8 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

It's funny to look back on S1 and compare it to now. Everyone has become a super powerful fighter, borderline invincible, slaying dozens upon dozens of enemies, taking on 100s at a time.

Seriously, wtf are we going to do for 3 80 minute episodes now? Who cares able Cersei? How is she even a threat

Yeah. Think of season One Jaime, at the top of his game, reputed to be among the best swordsmen in Westeros, brawling outside the brothel. Was probably going to beat middle-aged Ned in single combat, but Ned made it competitive. 

Now, Jaime is down an arm and probably has to kill at least a thousand zombies over the course of hours by himself, left-handedly, to stay alive. 

30 minutes ago, 14ccKemistk said:

This episode was horrible in so many ways. Really poorly done. D&D fanfiction at its worst.

Because:

-Melisandre appearing out of nowhere, no backstory, no reason, no explanation on why she came from the wrong direction. Also she does not do anything meaningful. 

-Dothraki suicide charge. Who ordered them to do that and why?

-Dragons fire charges, why so few?

-How did the wights become so easy to kill all of a sudden?

-Why no fighting for the White Walkers?

-Where and why did Bran warg? What was the purpose?

-How and when did Arya get into the library?

-Why weren't the walls manned directly after the retreat into Winterfell?

-How on earth did Arya ex Machina get into position to kill the Night King?

I'm really in no mood to even watch the remaining episodes. Predictable, fan fiction, fan service BS.

I completely agree. Melisandre should have entered from the right direction, from the south, and had other fire priestesses with her and a few lines to explain that they were there because it was R'hllor's will and finally their purpose was to be fulfilled etc. Then they would do what Melisandre did with the fire and maybe something more than that.

They should have made us see Drogon and Rhaegal breathing more fire but shown that it was still hard since the army was so massive - which would kind of have made sense. The great cold storm was a good explanation for why they didn't breath more fire, however; it was everywhere and they could barely see anything and the dragons were probably tired and they might not be able to keep breathing fire constantly for one hour.

Regarding the white walkers, yes, they should have fought more. We should have seen AT LEAST one main character fight against one of them - Jon, Jorah, Brienne or Arya would have been a good choice - and the best thing would have been to have like four fights with them, with three of them ending in the main character dying or losing the fight and one of them ending in the main character killing one of them. That would have been making use of the white walkers, making it dramatic and also giving the fight an ominous feeling as 75 % of the times the white walkers would win.

Bran should have done something special, anything, but he didn't do anyhing at all. He should have travelled through time, or his visions should have been shown in some way, or he should have had a trick or twist to defeat the Night King in some way. But he didn't do anything at all, which was completely idiotic and since he is basically the living side's greatest weapon/champion along with the dragons - the memory of all of Westeros - we'll probably never see him reveal any long lost secrets about the white walkers or House Stark or anything now.

And obviously either Jon, Daenerys, Bran or someone else shoud have killed the Night King - not Arya. She really had no special destiny or prophecy thing, and the whole AA prophecy was not fulfilled. What's the point with having Gendry be Tobho Mott's apprentice if he doesn't forge Lightbringer? And Lightbringer doesn't even exist, unless it's the Valyrian dagger, which is really disappointing. Almost the only thing which makes the choice of the Night King's death good is the fact that the dagger is a symbol for the game of thrones, the political intrigue and what started the Wot5K, and the fact that such a symbolic item is what kills the enemy of humanity. The dagger was important, and a symbol for the series itself, but it's definitely not a typical Lightbringer.

That's an explanation at least. I thought they were suddenly giving Arya a personality again, though I didn't know exactly what it meant. But it was just a temporary physical handicap. 

What bothers me is that when Arya slipped into a deleted Walking Dead scene in the library, it was eerily quiet for no reason. Shouldn't there have been a cacophony going on just outside? How thick were those walls, exactly. Even down in the crypt they could hear the battle. 

I hadn't watched the show since season 4 but I watched last night and it was such a huge mistake. 

I don't know how writers spent all these years with these characters to then obliterate their arcs like this. If Jon dies fighting during the Long Night in the books, I would be really sad, I'd probably cry, but if this is how his character arc closes, I'll understand it, because his story is tangled with the Others and the Wall. He has been there from the start and up to his being stabbed, he was doing everything he could to protect everyone.

So the way the NK went out with a whimper, this super big bad magical being, is just so ridiculous. And it's even more ridiculous to obliterate the stories of Jon and Dany and Bran in the process for the sake of wanting to shock the audience. 

7 seasons for a got you moment? Really? Why would anyone in their right mind flush down 7 years of story development?

Jon killing the NK would have been boring and predictable, they say? Well that's what you've been setting up, isn't it?

I don't know if GRRM is still watching the show, but man, if he is, I hope it serves as a motivator for him to finish his story.

2 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I hadn't watched the show since season 4 but I watched last night and it was such a huge mistake. 

I don't know how writers spent all these years with these characters to then obliterate their arcs like this. If Jon dies fighting during the Long Night in the books, I would be really sad, I'd probably cry, but if this is how his character arc closes, I'll understand it, because his story is tangled with the Others and the Wall. He has been there from the start and up to his being stabbed, he was doing everything he could to protect everyone.

You haven't watched since season 4? Ooooooh boy....

Well....let me assure you. They obliterated pretty much everyone's arc in (at the latest mid) Season 5. Since then they have pretty much shoved characters around in the plot without much thought on characterization or common sense.
Particularly Arya and Sansa haven't had a good storyline since the end of season 4.
This show has fallen a lot in quality, but it's nothing new.

I'm still naïvely holding out hope for this all being some kind of huge misunderstanding and Bran being the actual big threat. Maybe the NK knew that Bran would turn out to be some huge ticking timebomb, and therefore did all he could in order to kill him. Maybe Bran lied in the previous episode to not reveal the NKs true motivation. Maybe it all could have been avoided with some communication.

But who am I kidding?

To say this episode is bad would be the understatement of the century. This episode is beyond bad; it is incoherent, incomprehensible, and batshit insane: Who in the right mind would make those decisions, let alone combining then together in one single episode?

The most glaring problem is of course the writers completely miss the point and central theme of the book, that human earthly ambitions or political quibbles are nothing comparing to the whims of nature. The Others are exactly that: a force of nature. It cannot be bargained with. At best you can only build a dam or a wall to limit its destructive potential when nature has entered into a more docile cycle. Even then you can only live with it and be on alert.

Bruce Lee's little sister just outright assassinated nature. And going by their interview, it was an intentional choice. How could they completely miss such obvious point of the story? I believe the best explanation is malice. This is the writers saying they don't care what the audience think. All they wanted to do is to shock you, or going by industry's jargon, subverting expectation.

They intentionally trade logical and coherent storytelling for shock effect, and do it without the slightness shred of care and in such a hamfisted way. It is like they are saying to the audience "you didn't like our previous decision, like Sandra getting raped for no reason? How do you take it now?" Then they proceeded to rip the whole story apart at the seam.

We have underestimated D&D. They aren't just hacks; they are malicious hacks, trolling our love of the original story and good storytelling. 

Next episode, Arya ninja-stabs Euron. The episode after that, she single handedly kills Gregor while wearing Sandor's face because we cannot not have 'cleganebowl' (Fan service y'all!), valonqars Cersei In the finale, solves global warming, invents the printing press and brings the industrial revolution to Westeros And everyone claps.

It's quite apt that my GoT discussion group with friends is now called "The Long Shite"

6 minutes ago, LHakaLH said:

To say this episode is bad would be the understatement of the century. This episode is beyond bad; it is incoherent, incomprehensible, and batshit insane: Who in the right mind would make those decisions, let alone combining then together in one single episode?

The most glaring problem is of course the writers completely miss the point and central theme of the book, that human earthly ambitions or political quibbles are nothing comparing to the whims of nature. The Others are exactly that: a force of nature. It cannot be bargained with. At best you can only build a dam or a wall to limit its destructive potential when nature has entered into a more docile cycle. Even then you can only live with it and be on alert.

Bruce Lee's little sister just outright assassinated nature. And going by their interview, it was an intentional choice. How could they completely miss such obvious point of the story? I believe the best explanation is malice. This is the writers saying they don't care what the audience think. All they wanted to do is to shock you, or going by industry's jargon, subverting expectation.

They intentionally trade logical and coherent storytelling for shock effect, and do it without the slightness shred of care and in such a hamfisted way. It is like they are saying to the audience "you didn't like our previous decision, like Sandra getting raped for no reason? How do you take it now?" Then they proceeded to rip the whole story apart at the seam.

We have underestimated D&D. They aren't just hacks; they are malicious hacks, trolling our love of the original story and good storytelling. 

Next episode, Arya ninja-stabs Euron. The episode after that, she single handedly kills Gregor while wearing Sandor's face because we cannot not have 'cleganebowl' (Fan service y'all!), valonqars Cersei In the finale, solves global warming, invents the printing press and brings the industrial revolution to Westeros And everyone claps.

It's quite apt that my GoT discussion group with friends is now called "The Long Shite"

:cheers:

8 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Why the hell would you have your army outside the castle? Why would you charge an army you know you can't kill and that your dead are only going to make them more powerful. Oh I know, the torches scene would look sooooo cool. They missed a trick too, should have had them killed then charging straight back at the defenders. Maybe that happened and I couldn't see it

I thought Jorah might be part-dead, like Uncle Benjen, because he looked weird and wasn't talking when he rode back. Also, why didn't he die? He led 100,000 or however many bloodriders to their deaths and then trotted on back to the lines?

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

What did you expect? The character was pointless in the show since he got out of the cave. He could have done something to prevent Littlefinger's scheme last season as soon as he showed up. But he did ... nothing. How on earth could you or anyone believe he would or could do anything to stop the zombie army?

Well, there was the possibility Bran was inactive because his mind was working on something more important. But I guess he was just using the tree to spy on naked ladies.

Other than Lost, I'm not sure I've ever seen a series that destroyed so much of it's previous history in one fell swoop of an episode.  AA, prince that was promised, dragons as useful against the WW, even the idea of needing an army to fight them, all pointless.   

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Other than Lost, I'm not sure I've ever seen a series that destroyed so much of it's previous history in one fell swoop of an episode.  AA, prince that was promised, dragons as useful against the WW, even the idea of needing an army to fight them, all pointless.   

And everyone keeps saying, “you guys weren’t paying attention...this has bend foreshadowed since the beginning”

D&D: “we totally came up with the Arya killing the night king idea 3 years ago...we got tired of Jon snow being the hero all the time”

7 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Anyone find it amusing that in all 8 seasons of the show, nobody had as good a duel with an Other as Ser Waymar Royce did in the prologue of the AGOT book? And that scene had actual emotion behind it. A young knight, out of his depth, braving a not-seen-in-countless-years supernatural creatures and dying bravely and tragically. 

Jon's fight at Hardhome, and specifically his realization that his sword was magical, was pretty awesome. 

Sam killing the White Walker wasn't really a duel, but I liked it. 

Other than that, yes, the show wasted the opportunity. Uncle Benjen could've had one. Maybe Brienne, Jorah, or Jon in this episode. But no. 

16 hours ago, athmystikal said:

Aren't the wights supposed to be extremely slow? The ones in this Ep were like Usain Bolt clones. Also since when do wights can be killed by stabbing them? AFAIK they can only be killed by fire.

If the plot requires them to shoot like torpedos while farting, they will do that.

6 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Mellisandre bringing back Jon because he was "important". 

It was important that Jon talk to Arya for two seconds by the tree. The tree later broadcast their conversation directly into the Night King's mind, which distracted him with boredom so he didn't hear Arya coming.

Also, the prophecy foretold that Jon would get fifth-degree burns yelling at a dragon while his cousin killed the Big Bad. 

Archived