Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

2 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

So this was a fucking disgrace. 

From the first to the last minute, this goddamn episode made absolutely no goddamn sense. Whoever wrote this should be ashamed of themselves. 

It was.  I went pretty easy on ep. 1 & 2, I sensed the show was at least trying.  This was a total clusterfuck of stupidity from A to Z, beginning with the darker than dark 'natural' lighting insanity, moving through to gutting 7 years worth of story about the WW, and ending with a totally unearned Arya Stark badass kill.  Truly, the series cannot recover from this, it is ruined retro actively because so much of what went before is moot and ruined for the final 3 episodes of Cersei because who even gives a fuck?

Things  I want to rant ;

1. Dothraki wiped out. Great, the next time the Dothraki see a blonde lady approaching their race they should cut her head off to make sure they won’t have the same ending. 

2. Bran dozing off for the greatest part of the battle and watching the battle as a crow when Theon is giving the fight of his life next to him. Thanks for the encouragement man! He only came back when the NK arrived. 

3. Arya dashing in the library to go where? To a safe place? And as she reaches there, she is so discouraged but Mel brings her spirit back whispering Serios words to her “what do we say to the God of Death?” And now she transforms to a super ninja. Ok whatever...

4. Dany and John are guarding for Night kings arrival but forgot meanwhile to go and guard the entrance. They can blow fire to the zombies that try to climb the castle but no... 

5. The NK is invulnerable to dragon fire which melts iron and steel. Not his type of magic I guess. 

6. Arya uses her faceless powers I guess to move inside the white walkers or dashes there? I have no idea but lands perfectly the dagger inside Night Kings correct spot. Next episode I am expecting to make her a statue. 

So it was Arya and Melisandre who saved the day and humans. I didn’t mind so much about prophesy and such because it doesn’t play a significant role in the tv show neither it’s mentioned that much. But the way it happened...belongs to the sphere of fantasy. Like the screen writers saying “you fill the gap how we got there we don’t care”. 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

It was.  I went pretty easy on ep. 1 & 2, I sensed the show was at least trying.  This was a total clusterfuck of stupidity from A to Z, beginning with the darker than dark 'natural' lighting insanity, moving through to gutting 7 years worth of story about the WW, and ending with a totally unearned Arya Stark badass kill.  Truly, the series cannot recover from this, it is ruined retro actively because so much of what went before is moot and ruined for the final 3 episodes of Cersei because who even gives a fuck?

And it even ruined previous seasons because of all the quotes they brought back. 

2 minutes ago, darmody said:

It was important that Jon talk to Arya for two seconds by the tree. The tree later broadcast their conversation directly into the Night King's mind, which distracted him with boredom so he didn't hear Arya coming.

Also, the prophecy foretold that Jon would get fifth-degree burns yelling at a dragon while his cousin killed the Big Bad. 

Obviously the prophecy was generated to distract the Knightking, he thought he had to watch for Dany or Jon and was surprised when Jon started to scream at Viserion.

And Bran, also abviously, called every Raven in Westeros to carry Arya and let her fly. Thats the answer how she could jump there, easy.

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

And it turns out, Cersei was right to betray them and save her army.  Okay then.  Dany should have stayed on Dragonstone with her armies as well.  All they needed was Arya and her mad assassin skills.  Could have saved tens of thousands of lives there.

Oh, what happened to the wildling army?  Where are they?  Dead?  It didn't seem like Tormond is leading anyone anymore?

Cersei's up to Sansa-level genius now that the Dragon Queen's army has been nearly destroyed and the Army of the Dead completely wiped out, thanks to a small girl and her dagger.

Oh, except they still have dragons and all seven kingdoms minus three people hate Cersei.

Objectively, it was bad.

Book - wise , it was abysmal.

Show - wise? It was pretty decent, actually. 

I keep the two media separated completely, so I try to judge show by its standards, not in accordance with the books. And after the trainwreck that was show!Dorne, the final battle wasn't so bad. Yeah, the callbacks and "setups" were hasty and lackluster, but not as bad as they used to be. For me it was one of the more decent not book based events.

Did I like it? Aside from Theon, no. I hate show!Dany, show!Jon is just wasted potential, and what the did with Tyrion is just awful. Sansa is stuck-up instead of savvy and Bran is just... nope. But I expected way worse. Way, way worse. As a rule, show changes are just really bad (the only good change was pairing up Arya and Tywin instead of Roose).

So all in all, it was bad. But as a culmination of the mutilation that D&D did with source material? It wasn't worse than previous work.

6 hours ago, No 0ne said:

Apologies if anyone has already ranted at length on this:

But I don’t understand (other than for production budget trumping storyline on the world’s biggest show!) why the white walkers & viserion would crumble on the NK’s destruction..?

The wights - fair enough - they’re under his direct spell.

But the rest are animated by the magical ice spear & have their own super powers. The NK wouldn’t die if his maker is killed, so why should they? 

The WWs & white dragon should have needed independent killing. They are powered by a magical object not spell - i think...

The ice dragon is a zombie. The Night King woke it up by raising his arms. The spear merely killed it. 

So that long night wasn't so long, lol.

Night King went down like a... sigh.

So they didn't have the balls to kill off any non-tertiary named characters.

Oh, Sam.

I get now why Necropolis is allegedly banned on the HoMM 3 tournaments.

I'd take issue with Meli's power and the fact, that the Dothraki didn't burn themselves, the horses didn't get scared, that Stannis lost while having THAT on his side... But well, her scenes looked awesome enough that I can let it slide.

Soooo... we are done with the end of the world pretty quickly, lol. Are we going back to the more important (in show's perspective, apparently) things, like Cersei and Euron? Cause I really don't want to.

4 minutes ago, darmody said:

Cersei's up to Sansa-level genius now that the Dragon Queen's army has been nearly destroyed and the Army of the Dead completely wiped out, thanks to a small girl and her dagger.

Oh, except they still have dragons and all seven kingdoms minus three people hate Cersei.

Do you doubt that Cersei will kill at least one dragon?  I don't. 

Dany, Jon and Tyrion are the fucking three stooges of Westeros, not one of them has had a plan in years that wasn't a disaster.  

2 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

The dragon was turned by the NK touching it. just like he did the baby in whatever season that was...

Oh, maybe so. I don't remember exactly. But I had the feeling he was a zombie instead of the dragon version of a White Walker. 

Either way, all the White Walkers shattered when the Night King was Arya-ed. 

So, why did they make a last stand at Winterfell?  The Twins had a natural bottle neck, the Moat, Godseye, and Vale also had better defenses vs superior numbers.  They could have defended Winterfell with smaller numbers to bide time and take out the Others or NK if the opportunity arised.  Dothraki could have hit and run the Hoard as it moved from point A to B.  Less plot armour this way imo.

Y'all, lmfaooooo, Jon literally did nothing the whole fight. At best, Rhaegal attacked Ice Dragon (didn't matter cuz he didn't kill him or really seriously incapacitate him in any way). Rhaegal could have did that by himself.

Jon Snow did nothing worth mentioning and contributed nothing noteworthy to the fight against NK. 

Jon, fighting WW since Season 1, RhaegarLyanna baby, brought back from the dead, had no real role in the battle against the undead. Let that sink in. 

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

it wouldn't have been a bad idea if all these battle hardened generals had at least discussed how to use the skills of a faceless man in the battle, but no one ever says word one about it. 

Has Arya ever told anyone where she was and how she learned her many skills? 

In any case, how could one use Faceless Man techniques against a zombie army? Maybe she used faceless evasive maneuvers in the library. But I don't remember Arya learning superspeed, levitation, or invisibility (actual invisibility, not disguise) at Faceless U. 

That wouldda come in handy against the Waif. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m just dead inside people. I mean I don’t even see the point in watching the next episode. Like what for? I hope grrm didn’t watch this. I would never ever wish it upon him. God I hope poor man doesn’t ever watch it. 

It's baseball season so he has other things to worry about

(just a little /s) 

2 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m just dead inside people. I mean I don’t even see the point in watching the next episode. Like what for? I hope grrm didn’t watch this. I would never ever wish it upon him. God I hope poor man doesn’t ever watch it. 

There are only 3 more eps, mights as well see it to the end.  I'd say it can't get more stupid, but I never expected this penultimate, biggest, longest battle evah, to be so bad, or to have the show totally trash years worth of build  up on the NK and WW for a twist Arya killing.

Archived