Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

3 minutes ago, Lucky7 said:

Y'all, lmfaooooo, Jon literally did nothing the whole fight. At best, Rhaegal attacked Ice Dragon (didn't matter cuz he didn't kill him or really seriously incapacitate him in any way). Rhaegal could have did that by himself.

Jon Snow did nothing worth mentioning and contributed nothing noteworthy to the fight against NK. 

Jon, fighting WW since Season 1, RhaegarLyanna baby, brought back from the dead, had no real role in the battle against the undead. Let that sink in. 

Maybe Jon is going to be King of Westeros after all, so the show writers think that it's okay to give the biggest victory in Westerosi history to Arya?  Jon was definitely wasted in the episode.  

7 hours ago, divica said:

It is that crap about subvert people's expectations all over again. Even if doesn t make sense in the story!

If they wanted arya to have an important role she should have been disguised as a wight that stabs the NK in the back and then other people can kill him. Given all the mithology in the show it just couldn t be her!

No, no. Disguise her as the tree! Or Bran's wheelchair. 

6 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m just dead inside people. I mean I don’t even see the point in watching the next episode. Like what for? I hope grrm didn’t watch this. I would never ever wish it upon him. God I hope poor man doesn’t ever watch it. 

That is how I felt… The more time passes the worst the episode sounds. 

It just completly burned all the important thematics in the books and all the story and hype the show created.

I didn t think it could be this bad...

3 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Maybe Jon is going to be King of Westeros after all, so the show writers think that it's okay to give the biggest victory in Westerosi history to Arya?  Jon was definitely wasted in the episode.  

Who wants that dumbass dead person as King?  What in the hell has he accomplished?  He was assassinated by his own men.  Then he's made King only to bend the knee to his lover.  Then he participates in the stupid as fuck wight hunt, getting a dragon killed and needing to be saved.  He hasn't won a battle in years. He's been blabbing about uniting the living when it turns out, all you need is a good assassin with a Valyrian steel dagger.   He was utterly useless in this battle.  

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m just dead inside people. I mean I don’t even see the point in watching the next episode. Like what for? I hope grrm didn’t watch this. I would never ever wish it upon him. God I hope poor man doesn’t ever watch it. 

I just want the next two books. Weirdly, I haven't thought much about them in at least 2-3 years now, but this clusterfuck is making me yearn for them. For a real ending. For a story where the creator puts actual effort in. For the tone and subtle plotting and well-drawn characters that I fell in love with back in AGOT. For the rising mysticism and stakes, and a Northern threat being portrayed with actual stakes and meaning. For The Others and the Children and Jon's parentage and the mysteries to be given actual weight. For characters like Sansa, Theon, Asha, Euron, Stannis, Sandor, Arya, Bran, Meera and countless others to be explored and treated properly, their arcs, their deaths, their victories, to actually be meaningful and earned and moving. 

I think GOT has just jumped off a cliff now. They've effectively killed it. I don't know what they're doing. At all. I can't understand why they structured the season this way, or why anyone can possibly care about 3 hour-and-a-half episodes to deal with Cersei. I don't expect TWOW or ADOS to be perfect, but I expect them to be constructed with care and to have a lot of great material.  Even if they had flaws, AFFC and ADWD still had a lot of rewarding stuff. Which is far more than I can say for Benioff and Weiss' trajectory. This season... I honestly feel embarrassed for them. 

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There are only 3 more eps, mights as well see it to the end.  I'd say it can't get more stupid, but I never expected this penultimate, biggest, longest battle evah, to be so bad, or to have the show totally trash years worth of build  up on the NK and WW for a twist Arya killing.

Cas, we know that tyrion will burn KL after spending the entire last season arguing against it.

He was devastated when danny burned the tarlys and he is going to kill thousands of inocents! 

If you think this can t get worse you haven t been paying atention...

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There are only 3 more eps, mights as well see it to the end.  I'd say it can't get more stupid, but I never expected this penultimate, biggest, longest battle evah, to be so bad, or to have the show totally trash years worth of build  up on the NK and WW for a twist Arya killing.

1 minute ago, divica said:

That is how I felt… The more time passes the worst the episode sounds. 

It just completly burned all the important thematics in the books and all the story and hype the show created.

I didn t think it could be this bad...

That’s the whole thing, guys. 

I went into this season expecting the absolutely worst. I went into this episode expecting absolutely nothing. 

And then this shitshow happened and I’m just shaken to the core and I don’t understand how they could possible fuck up so badly. 

6 hours ago, darksellsword said:

You know in all seriousness I would've been ok with Arya having all the badass scenes she needs in relation to Cersei even if she removes the mountain aka Robert Strong and denies us Cleganebowl because they changed the mountain so many times on the show there really isn't anything organic there between the two brothers but to have them completely remove Jon's purpose in the story is unforgivable. It was pure fanservice to the female audience.

They simply can't not do Cleganebowl. That's the sort of thing where it's okay to do fanservice. Unlike with Little Lady Bear or Arya Ninja Turtle. 

There wasn't enough of a relationship between Arya and Cersei, despite her being on the List. I'd rather see Ellaria Sand escape from the dungeon and kill the Romulan Queen, frankly. And I HATE the Sands. 

2 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I went into this season expecting the absolutely worst. I went into this episode expecting absolutely nothing. 

And then this shitshow happened and I’m just shaken to the core and I don’t understand how they could possible fuck up so badly. 

It is hard to understand how they have no understanding of the story they're telling, and how or why they have made so many of the main characters some combination of stupid/unlikable.  The fact that they claim they've planned on Arya killing the NK for 3! years and it still comes completely out of left field with no foreshadowing, not even a hint of anything in hindsight, is staggering.  

6 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

I just want the next two books. Weirdly, I haven't thought much about them in at least 2-3 years now, but this clusterfuck is making me yearn for them. For a real ending. For a story where the creator puts actual effort in. For the tone and subtle plotting and well-drawn characters that I fell in love with back in AGOT. For the rising mysticism and stakes, and a Northern threat being portrayed with actual stakes and meaning. For The Others and the Children and Jon's parentage and the mysteries to be given actual weight. For characters like Sansa, Theon, Asha, Euron, Stannis, Sandor, Arya, Bran, Meera and countless others to be explored and treated properly, their arcs, their deaths, their victories, to actually be meaningful and earned and moving. 

I think GOT has just jumped off a cliff now. They've effectively killed it. I don't know what they're doing. At all. I can't understand why they structured the season this way, or why anyone can possibly care about 3 hour-and-a-half episodes to deal with Cersei. I don't expect TWOW or ADOS to be perfect, but I expect them to be constructed with care and to have a lot of great material.  Even if they had flaws, AFFC and ADWD still had a lot of rewarding stuff. Which is far more than I can say for Benioff and Weiss' trajectory. This season... I honestly feel embarrassed for them. 

I completely understand your point. 

I can’t see it the same way unfortunately, the books are kinda like Santa clause to me. I just don’t believe in them anymore. (Meaning that they are or will be real at one point). But I totally understand why you would feel this way and I wish I could feel the same way. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It is hard to understand how they have no understanding of the story they're telling, and how or why they have made so many of the main characters some combination of stupid/unlikable.  The fact that they claim they've planned on Arya killing the NK for 3! years and it still comes completely out of left field with no foreshadowing, not even a hint of anything in hindsight, is staggering.  

Yeah, you know, I used to claim I knew what I was doing on every Finance exam too. Like professor what the hell do you mean by that’s the incorrect ROI value, I’ve been counting this for 3 years. 

They don’t even know what happened last season. 

7 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It seems nobody understand the concept of earned surprised.  This is the same as the TLJ nonesense in SW, any hack can come up with a surprise that comes out of nowhere and isn't setup which surprises people.  But those types of surprises are totally unsatisfying. The genius is to set it up and still have it come as a surprise, that was the brilliance of something like the Red Wedding, in retrospect all the signs were there, but it still surprises you anyway when it happens.

There's an element of Let's Play It Safe here. In Star Wars they can experiment, and they can trash beloved characters, but they can't go all out and upturn the formula that has made them money in the past. So they make Luke go bad for like half a second, but they'd never-ever show Like going full Dark Side. 

Likewise, they can have the new villain, Rylo Ken, flirt with the Good Girl and think about moving beyond good and evil. But he can't actually become good. And the Good Girl can't become bad or gray. So they're stuck. Except they can always tease. Teasing has plausible deniability. 

Game of Thrones teased us with Jon, making us wonder whether he'd get to Bran in time. And they teased us with Bran, wondering whether he had anything up his sleeve. Then it was ass-pull time, with Arya out of nowhere. But you know she's still a Stark kid and she has done impossible things before. Most importantly, she's popular. So it's a safe subversion of expectation. 

10 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I predict that this seemingly horrible episode was a big swerve.  The Night King isn't really dead.  Something went down with him and Bran.  A major and cool plot twist is coming.  I refuse to believe that this is the real ending to the threat that's been hyped up for 8 seasons.

21 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

For laughs, hysterical laughter at how much worse it can still get? I know, that’s gonna be a feat, getting worse than the atrocity we watched last night. But if this show has taught me anything it’s to never ever underestimate the capacity of the Ds to make things worse and worse and worse... 

7 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yes, Shireen burning is confirmed, what is not is the exact manner and the person or persons that do it.  It seems a hard call to reunite those characters in the books right now.  They lack a certain LF jet pack as well as other transporter equipment.  I'm aware of how the Ds are slippery with their words.  I thought the confirmation of the White Walker origin was done in more clarifying manner than the yeah, when George told us Shireen burns thing, it's just been so long since I read anything on that.

I'm not a book person so I dunno, but the t.v. Shireen scenario is straight out of Greek Myth. Iphigenia. Martin has done that sort of adaptation before. I think it likely Stannis goes Agamemnon on her. 

12 minutes ago, darmody said:

They simply can't not do Cleganebowl. That's the sort of thing where it's okay to do fanservice. Unlike with Little Lady Bear or Arya Ninja Turtle. 

There wasn't enough of a relationship between Arya and Cersei, despite her being on the List. I'd rather see Ellaria Sand escape from the dungeon and kill the Romulan Queen, frankly. And I HATE the Sands. 

I can see where you are coming from although Cersei did indirectly get the butchers boy killed and Sansas direwolf Lady killed, she was also the reason Arya had to send Nymeria away. I'm pretty certain Arya knows Cersei was behind Neds arrest and execution so if anyone really has it coming from Arya it is Cersei. I wouldn't have any problem with Cleganbowl but I was simply saying Arya taking that kill from the hound would be less offensive than Jon holding Aryas beer while she killed the NightKing.

`On social media its basically just people praising how good the episode was so I guess they've managed to pull it off somehow. I spoke to some mates and pointed out the inaccuracies, how it made no sense, all the faults and they were like yeah, I guess so but it was cool though. I guess most people are easier to please.

I could easily have got away with most of the leftfield stuff it ity had made sense but to me the directors just wantd to go big and epic and they completely sacrificed the full story to do it. Jon should have killed the Night King, his whole story was written for that but if they wanted Arya then that's fine, have Jon slay the dragon so he comes out looking like a hero as well, he comes out of this looking utterly useless. The dragon died a minute later anyway, if Jon had got underneath it and plunged its heart with Valyrian Steel then he comes out like a beast as well and the phrophecies were just more skewered than we had though. Make it meaningful whereby it gets Arya out to the forecourt instead of Jon and then have Jon collapse with Wights moving in on him if they wanna do the everyones near death scene. Same result but you gave your main character some actual purpose.

They could have done that scene instead of Bran turning into Crows for no reason at all.

22 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yup, I did not IMAGINE they could make such a hash out of so many things in less than an hour and a half.  I will never doubt their depths again, never. 

11 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I predict that this seemingly horrible episode was a big swerve.  The Night King isn't really dead.  Something went down with him and Bran.  A major and cool plot twist is coming.  I refuse to believe that this is the real ending to the threat that's been hyped up for 8 seasons.

The one way the season can redeem itself to me is a dreaded time travel plot  with a Jason Momoa and his triceps cameo (I know I know, just don’t give me crap about it) 

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

For laughs, hysterical laughter at how much worse it can still get? I know, that’s gonna be a feat, getting worse than the atrocity we watched last night. But if this show has taught me anything it’s to never ever underestimate the capacity of the Ds to make things worse and worse and worse... 

I guess I would be curious to see if they can pull that off. As in make it even worse. I guess. Maybe... 

Archived