Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

3 hours ago, athmystikal said:

I think the 

I think the issue with mainstream media and femi-nazis is that they think empowering women means getting women to be exactly like men. Make them do everything a man does even if it is stupid. In main stream media an empowered woman must swear a lot, treat others like trash and belittle her subordianates and be snarky.  I believe Empowerment is about being strong - not bold. Bold will only get you into trouble - man or woman.

In ASOIAF books and in some earlier episodes of GOT there are really strong female characters. Catelyn Stark for example. Ofcourse she made some serious mistakes, but when adversity struck, she rose to the occasion and was there for her children. She was not snarky about it. And she saw the reality and knew a woman(or a man) travelling alone is dangerous and took Cassel with her. If it were totally upto D&D, taking a man with her would be seen as a weakness and would have made her to make the journey alone and kill a few bandits along the way.

In my opinion, in the TV series, the the moment Sansa was at her best or strongest point was during the Battle of Blackwater. She was scared, but she hid it and comforted others raised their spirit. She wasn't snarky or bossy, but compassionate and caring.

These writers/directors should understand that being compassionate is NOT a weakness. And being snarky and cruel is not empowerment - its just being an a$$hole.

It’s no coincidence you felt this way since George RR Martin wrote that episode.

4 minutes ago, Sir said:

It’s no coincidence you felt this way since George RR Martin wrote that episode.

No doubt. Actually I still consider Blackwater as the best battle on TV. Apart from the actual battle it showed what happens inside the city walls among the non-fighters. There was actual strategy. Tyrion was tactical and smart. And I think they did it with a significantly lower budget.

They set the stage for Ragnarok, but they lacked the nerve to write a Ragnarok ending.

When Mel rode up I half expected it to be Stannis poised to announce himself as the mouth of Sauron.

I wanted Mel to become the fire in the trench, a moment of apotheosis rather than some sort of minor miracle to assuage her secret agnosticism. It would also have been fitting for one who burned others alive to feel the fire, herself. It was an opportunity for a glorious death (Ragnarok) rather than just "I'm done now [micpendant drop]."

I have no idea what to make of Bran's "I have to go now." If they don't follow up on that it might as well have been the psychic equivalent of excusing himself to the pub toilet.

Honestly I was fine with just going along with it until Arya's backstab. I don't understand it at all, it didn't provide me any satisfaction or closure. I wanted to see heroism in the face of the end of the world. What I got was an Old Nan yarn.

I am hoping and praying the next book comes out soon. It'll be heartbreaking if our only closure is expected to come from this clusterfuck of a show. 

What happened to the Azor Ahai myth?

And dragon's fire wont kill the night king but dragon glass (frozen fire) will? 

I really hope that this is all D&D and nothing from GRRM because this just lacks any sort of intelligence at all.

6 hours ago, darmody said:

They could have done something unexpected by making it so that Jon had to kill Danny or vice-versa in order to kill the Night King. 

No, that was one of the expected scenarios how the story could end. Its more or less the story of Azor Ahai, who had to sacrifice his Nisa Nisa to get Lightbringer to defeat the Long Night. At least the book readers knew this story/legend (I can't remeber if the show mentioned it too).

I'm rather torn on my feelings for this episode.  It was good in that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and it was suspenseful, I didn't know what was going to happen. But one big issue was I could barely tell what was happening! I have a ~60" new 4K Samsung TV, watching it in at least 1080p, I was sitting a few feet away, we spent time adjusting our TV settings and I wore my glasses (which I usually only need in like lecture theatres) and I was still squinting half the time being like "ok some dark blobs just did a thing" or "some thing just happened to some person, I think". I mean its crazy that they had this director who's known for some of the most visually stunning battles in this series (Jon being charged by a wall of horses and riders in Battle of Bastards), they had the budget, they filmed for like 60 days or something and then in the end decided they wanted it so no one could see anything?!

Knew Theon was going to die, but it was nicely done. Jorah ... tear to my eyes, great death. Lyanna, I know it was just fan service, but I thought that was great. Surprised Grey Worm made it, thought he was a goner for sure. The Tyrion and Sansa moment was sweet. I'm glad to see Ghost survived (though really wish he would have been used), and the dragons.  Poor Edd .... 

The battle "strategy" was disastrous, why weren't the dragons mowing down dead people beforehand and lighting up the field so people could see. Why wasn't there more fire used as means of protection/blockade ?  I read somewhere this was more like a horror movie than a battle/action sequence and for me it was because in horror movies you're always yelling "No you idiot don't go in the basement" and I was yelling at my TV plenty. 

Bran is worthless/useless. Don't know why NK even cared about him, so what if he can see all of history - rest of the world never even knew about 3ER so whats the point of him (as opposed to a written account of history like at the citadel). He just warg'ed into some crows, for what? He didn't relay any relevant information about the NK or the battle, didn't use the crows to drop fire or anything. The whole bran thing I just don't get, his purpose apparently just to know about Jon's parentage but now we question why that matters (see below). 

I'm conflicted on the Arya thing. I mean it was unexpected, which while watching was cool, and she is a badass character. But it just makes me wonder what the point of Jon is/was and knowing his parentage. I always thought his parentage - the big secret and reveal of the whole show - was important not so that he could have a claim to the throne but because he was special, he was the prince that was promised and would be the one to defeat the AotD or NK. The whole build up can't really be just so he can "legitiamely" rule the 7 seven kingdoms can it?? And its a bit disappointing that the final showdown, the big ending of this magical legendary tale is about defeating CERSEI- some chick who went batsh*t crazy.

Don't really understand how Dany and co supposed to go fight Cersei now, as looks like Dothraki basically gone, Unsullied basically gone, and northern army (and the vale army) basically gone, and no other allies with armies/fighters except for maybe in Iron Islands. Unless she really is just gonna go full dragon fire and burn Cersei in the red keep, I don't see how they could mount an offensive against 20,000 GC (who are rested and healthy unlike our northern friends). 

Overall, a bit disappointed, but definitely need to watch it again 

1 hour ago, athmystikal said:

No doubt. Actually I still consider Blackwater as the best battle on TV. Apart from the actual battle it showed what happens inside the city walls among the non-fighters. There was actual strategy. Tyrion was tactical and smart. And I think they did it with a significantly lower budget.

They did it with an actual coherent script. 

What is worse than the TV series is the huge number of unsullied fans who still believe this is the best thing that  ever happened on TV. Literally a few minutes ago, in a restaurant, I overheard a bunch of people praising the last episode. I wonder if there are parts missing in their brains. You can enjoy the show for the spectacle, I understand that, but how can someone praise this crap and claim that it is the best TV series ever when there were shows that were far far better than this one (like The Wire).

I guess all it takes is noise, explosions and action to prevent people from seeing the defects. I bet that is what politicians are also doing these days.

I am so done with the show. I can't imagine why I should care about who ends up on the throne. The show has been telling me for many seasons that it doesn't matter and I agree. Also, while I'm on the topic, exactly why do we think that Cersei and her child would be bad rulers if there was peace? Are we meant to root against her mainly because she's been mean toward our favorite people in the first few seasons?

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Goddamn it, I can’t decide. Do I waste more of my life reviewing this or do I just go to sleep? I mean I could write a PhD on how bad this episode was and who even wants to read it? 

I will read it. I love rant reviews

Rant and rave? Okay...

Dark! Felt like Batman fighting Black Panther in a tunnel.

Tactics make absolutely no sense.

Winterfell lacks many basic defenses present in real High Medieval castles - or even Roman forts. It bothered me already with the BotB, here it was just worse by WF having to stand to actual attack. 

The crypt scene was just dumb. I hoped they will not go there. They did. Blegh. Heck, it undermined the tension there. Plus it kinda... Dunno. The Starks were putting their dead down there since the Long Night, it is implied - why would they do so if they were a liability?

Zombies being in the keep for Arya to sneak around. Yes, it was a cool scene, but 1. there was a helluva noise around - yet inside the keep is deathly silent? And 2. standard castle building would have the keep and towers being the fallback positions for defenders. 

Dragonglass obstacles seemed to have a minimal effect.As did fire. The wights in the past did not douse the fire - they burst in flames. And unless I am mistaken they fell apart from dragonglass. So the "unliving bridges" over fire trenches should not work. Would have been a great show to use the level of sacrifice by having, say, the actual White Walkers (who can walk through fire) do this? They were pretty underused.

What the heck was Bran doing? I guess they may tell us next episode, but... Show, not tell!

I am NOT bothered by Arya killing the NK and I do not think it negates any prophecy. For one prophecies are fickle things and one of the points of Melissandre's arc is showing how tricky it is to try to interpret them and make them happen. And the prophecy does not necessarily talk about killing anyone but about defeating the darkness. Which could well mean "leading the fight" and "setting up things for the defeat to be possible".

I am also not bothered by the ice zombie arc being over. Depending on how the rest of the season goes - but do not forget for example Babylon 5 or Lord of the rings also did not finish with resolving the "Big Bad" conflict - in Babylon 5, there was the despotic regime on Earth to tackle, in LoTR you had the Scouring of the Shire. Did that diminish in any way way the importance of the "big climax"? So no, not bothered by that, really, though I expected a more complex ending (such as "temporary defeat" of the icicles, but not complete destruction).

Archived