Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Dishes are done, dude! 

That was more fun than playing tag with the undead in a library. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I thought of something. 

Top 3 most unforgivable elements 

1. Dothraki charge. 

2. Dragonfire doesn’t kill NK, but dragonglass does. Dragonglass is by definition is considered to be hardened (dragon)fire. Valyrian steel kills the walkers specifically because it was forged with dragonfire. What was even the purpose of dragons in this fight if their fire doesn’t kill white walkers? 

3. Castle defense

+1. Lyanna Mormont’s allowed to stay out in the massacre. 

To make things worse with that moronic nonsesical charge, they made Jorah lead it. Jorah, no less,  a skilled experienced knight who had already fought the dead! It's like he was secretly working for the NK, with the only purpose of providing him more flesh for his army.  And him being the only one returning, along a couple horses and like 4 Dothrakis on foot... No words.

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Another late stage shocker was when I found out only a couple weeks ago that they had been making it dark ON PURPOSE, they became obsessed with this idea of 'natural light' and so wanted it to seem like we are seeing everything as the characters would, candle light, fire light, etc.  For fuck's sake, its' a TV show, it is a piece of entertainment, if it is too dark to recognize the characters, it's too dark, but I couldn't believe they had been doing it on purpose all this time. What a bunch of BS.  

Yup. Is it at all possible that they’re saying this now because people have been complaining for a while now? Like, instead of debating the issue (no, it’s not too dark!), they’re trying to spin it as “it was a deliberate artistic choice”? 

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

There is a slight possibility that the DoP is carefully criticising the post-production process backhandedly here. They may have engineered that level of darkness in editing. The compression of the data in the footage is unlikely to be the cause but speaking as someone who has done lots of editing work I know film crew members who have complained about darkening in post-production: I know a guy who worked on The Libertine for example who told me the shoot wasn't anywhere near so dark as the edited product suggested.

That’s interesting, tks. I didn’t know that. 

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I'm tempted to think it may be a deliberate style choice from D&D. Wouldn't surprise me.

But would the Ds do it behind the DoP’s back, so to speak? Isn’t that a tad... arseholey? 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yup. Is it at all possible that they’re saying this now because people have been complaining for a while now? Like, instead of debating the issue (no, it’s not too dark!), they’re trying to spin it as “it was a deliberate artistic choice”? 

That’s interesting, tks. I didn’t know that. 

But would the Ds do it behind the DoP’s back, so to speak? Isn’t that a tad... arseholey? 

No, I think it is deliberate, they had a whole long rationale for the 'natural light' thing wherever I read it, I'd say that is the reason it has never been corrected, it IS an artistic choice, although a bad one, there is surely a way to make candle light look like candle light and still be something visible to the audience, hundreds of other shows and films have managed it.  But, GOT, always going overboard on the wrong stuff, culminating in this botched up waste of everyone's 3 months in a battle too dark to even recognize who is in the shot half the time.

To be clear, I personally actually enjoyed the fire and ice symbolism last episode and also the fact that the night was actually dark there. The fast cutting was making it difficult to follow things but I honestly hate movies and shows where night is basically as bright as day. Which was, for instance, a grievous sin done in the LotR movies.

And you really can actually film stuff just by using natural light. Just watch 'Barry Lyndon' again ... and if you haven't seen it get off the internet and go watch it right now ;-).

Or think of the scene of Uma Thurman in the coffin in 'Kill Bill Vol. 2' - the fact that it is utterly dark and she just has a lamp makes it infinitely more real than any artificial lighting could have done.

But actually have to know what you are doing to do this good. Not clearly seeing characters and faces as such doesn't necessarily mean it is too dark, though.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

The DoP's work is finished once the shoot is over. He or she has no say in the editing process. If it is a style choice by the Ds then what is "arseholey" is letting the DoP take the heat without coming out and taking responsibility for it.

2 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Now I wonder why Nighty didn't just fly over the Godswood and set it ablaze. I mean, Jon and Dany were flying far away burning wights. He was out of sight, they were oblivious. Just swoop down and blast the damn place. I mean, he summoned some kind of blizzardy thing this episode that sent J/D into chaos for a time. Why not get Bran then?

Yeah, but then he wouldn't have had the chance to do his villain monologue. And trust me, even if his mouth was moving, he was monologing. Why else didn't he just crack Bran's head open right away? And what happened to his big curved cleaver? He had a one-handed sword on his back.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:29 AM, Ser Sinister said:

So let me guess...Hound kills Mountain, but dies in the process. Arya does more super-killing stuff. Jamie gets backstabbed by Euron (love the Urine nickname, by the way), but still manages to plunge something deep into Cersei (someone at HBO is drooling at that thought). I guess the only thing left to resolve is who gets the Iron Throne. 

Exactly what's going down. Predictable af.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

From the cinematographer, says the episode wasn't too dark.  Alrighty then.

“We tried to give the viewers and fans a cool episode to watch,” he said. “I know it wasn’t too dark because I shot it.”

He knows because he shot it? Is this so-and-so aware of a thing called post-production? Or did they film in a real blizzard with real zombies?

1 hour ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Nevermind--thought I was in a different thread. Keep on keeping on. 

Oh, and so I don't break the rules, I'm mad they killed Ghost.

Really, you're joking right?  The 'oops, in the wrong thread to complain about the complaining' and you leave this"  I'm mad they killed Ghost? 

Granted, I can understand thinking that Ghost had died, thanks to that unbelievably messy script writing and terrible visuals.  But, thanks to a bunch of detective work on the part of many Ranters among others, and freeze framing of the coming episode's preview, it has been proven that Ghost lived.  You'll find him in the promo for the next episode standing next to Varys, because yeah, that makes sense. 

Can someone remind me, how long was this break between the last seasons?

What did they do?  Not hire any consultants on military strategy.  Not spending time writing dialogue.  Not paying attention to plot continuity.  

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

What did they do?  Not hire any consultants on military strategy.  Not spending time writing dialogue.  Not paying attention to plot continuity.  

They certainly didn't give thought to working on that 'natural lighting' versus actual visibility thing.

Oh well, like the title of the thread it's the end of the world and I guess they felt everything was fine? 

1 hour ago, Forlong the Fat said:

How many times do I have to invite you to return to your raving?

But yes, it would be useful to stomp and cut them to bits with heavy horses and arakhs. Would be better to use dragon glass arakh's but who has those?

I appreciate your understanding of the thread. And you aren't debating in my opinion, so I will give you this...

The Dothraki are NOT heavy, armored cavalry. They are light at the loosest term of the word. They wear no armor, and use speed, light weapons and bows against humans that are fearful when being overrun. They are to be used as flank during a heavy engagement to pick away at the stragglers as the infantry does the brunt of engagement. Not like a true heavy brigade made to crush the front of a scouted enemy. You know, numbers, strengths, weaknesses, etc. None of this was employed by the "good guys". 

Not  only has it been established early that it took a dire wolf and  a whole lot of fire that fucked up Jon to drop the wight at Jeor's doorstep. Cutting him with a sword did nothing. But it was very clear that this was just a chance to make a shot with the torches going out. Pretty cool image to be fair. But even if one or to of them connected with their arakhs, then we should have seen a flame or two of the corpse they lit. 

Oh, and the thing that has been bugging me all day: people wondering what Bran was doing skin changing into the Raven flock. It was obviously to set up a cool sweeping cinematic shot of the battle. Period. 

And sadly, everything IS fine, it was another record breaker audience.  It seems like the reviews were mixed leaning positive, but I haven't read that many, I don't care anymore.  I  have no doubt that the show's final audience will be huge, but, I think it's due for a massive re evaluation and downgrade within a year or so.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

And sadly, everything IS fine, it was another record breaker audience.  It seems like the reviews were mixed leaning positive, but I haven't read that many, I don't care anymore.  I  have no doubt that the show's final audience will be huge, but, I think it's due for a massive re evaluation and downgrade within a year or so.

Next episode will be a low in audiences. Probably the lowest this season.

And I think this ep will go down in history as the fall of got. If I compare the crititcs now with TLJ when it came out then the critics are much worse. We are talking about what should be the biggest episode of got so far and almost every article I saw rants about something…

There is just so much bad in this ep for people to not start complaining about it. And if the next eps don t rise the bar (which they don t seem to do) then it will happen even faster.

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The real question is: If the first seasons were so good why didn t they use this extended break to hire a professional writer to write a book about how GOT should end? Then they could adapt the book as they did in the beguining...

I think that it should be obvious for everybody that they can t write original material. They might be good at adapting shit for tv,, but they just can t write anything original...

And after the debacle with sansa in season 5 they became traumatized writing scenes for women. They just can t get it done right.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:09 AM, Steelborn said:

The fuck did Bran do when he warged? I couldn't see it. He didn't even report back whatever he saw to help the living neither did he warg a dragon or anything to do some harm to the NK when they were fighting Jon and Dany out in the open. Which brings me to Theon's death cause it was so useless. Can't the 3-eyed raven see evrything, couldn't he just say wait "3 minutes behind the tree pal" or something. 

I think what he did was simply give his position away to the NK.  He is marked, so it seems when he is warging or in the wierwood network the NK can see where he is because he touched him. After all, that was the plan all along to get the NK into the godswood.

Just now, W1NT3RF3LL said:

I think what he did was simply give his position away to the NK.  He is marked, so it seems when he is warging or in the wierwood network the NK can see where he is because he touched him. After all, that was the plan all along to get the NK into the godswood.

Actually last ep bran says that the NK always knows where he is because of the mark. There is no need to warg...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Actually last ep bran says that the NK always knows where he is because of the mark. There is no need to warg...

It was as pointless as the Dothraki death charge, yes, Bran says the NK always knows where he is, so he warged for no other purpose but a cool tracking shot.  

Archived