Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

8 hours ago, divica said:

It was the least! They could have had viserion seeing arya running into bran's direction and jon decide to attack the dragon so that he doesn t kill arya… Something along these lines...

I wonder in what state of mind the writers were when they thought...: ''So in this scene Jon will come out of cover, face Viserion and.....wait for it ...... SCREAM''. Even the dumbest person would go, but why ? Not D&D apparently.

13 minutes ago, D2procon said:

Its a mistake because it doesn't tailor to your expectations?

No, it's a mistake because it's a mistake. They are ignoring their own established canon and worldbuilding in order to do things that make them feel good....things that don't even hold water narratively, thematically or even artistically.

How has Cersei -- who many call a main character -- grown and developed in the last two seasons? How has Tyrion grown and developed in the last two seasons? When was the last time Varys did anything useful? What was Brienne's purpose last season? What was Melisandre doing in Volantis? Why does Bran -- more of a robot than an actual character -- care so much about Jon being "the true heir to the Iron Throne" and yet feel nothing towards his  actual family and the girl who saved his life multiple times? Melisandre has been talking about Azor Ahai and the Prince that Was Promised who would bring the dawn and save the realms of since season 2...what happened? How do Bran's powers work? What does the Night King want exactly? Why is the Night King immune to dragonfire but vulnerable to Valyrian steel? Why should have anyone cared about the White Walkers if they never got past Winterfell? Why did Daenerys only go North with Dothraki and Unsullied when the armies of Dorne and the Reach also pledged their swords to her?

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It was as pointless as the Dothraki death charge, yes, Bran says the NK always knows where he is, so he warged for no other purpose but a cool tracking shot.  

Didn't you see Danny and Jon follow the Ravens and tear the NK a new one?  Oh wait then Bran may have actually had a use and we can't have that. 

11 minutes ago, no_one_... said:

Didn't you see Danny and Jon follow the Ravens and tear the NK a new one?  Oh wait then Bran may have actually had a use and we can't have that. 

Tear who a new one?

The Night King was completely unphased by Dany and Jon's attack on him.

8 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Tear who a new one?

The Night King was completely unphased by Dany and Jon's attack on him.

His plot armour aside, he was dismounted.   He had a single spear and a sword after, as an aside there was no reason for Danny to fly away after the NK missed Drogon could have torn him in half.   While plot armour prevented dragon fire from hurting him no reason to think 1 to 2 dragons and Jon with his sword couldn't finish him off. The writing was just lazy.

2 minutes ago, no_one_... said:

His plot armour aside, he was dismounted.   He had a single spear and a sword after, as an aside there was no reason for Danny to fly away after the NK missed Drogon could have torn him in half.   While plot armour prevented dragon fire from hurting him no reason to think 1 to 2 dragons and Jon with his sword couldn't finish him off. The writing was just lazy.

So here you are saying that the writing is lazy....

37 minutes ago, no_one_... said:

...but then here in this quote you seem to be saying that people are wrong for complaining about lazy writing because Bran was so very obviously letting Dany and Jon know where the Night King was.

Which is it?

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

So here you are saying that the writing is lazy....

...but then here in this quote you seem to be saying that people are wrong for complaining about lazy writing because Bran was so very obviously letting Dany and Jon know where the Night King was.

Which is it?

My earlier post was sarcasm.  Danny and Jon didn't follow the Ravens, and Bran's arc has been completely pointless. 

1 minute ago, no_one_... said:

My earlier post was sarcasm.  Danny and Jon didn't follow the Ravens, and Bran's arc has been completely pointless. 

Okay, that's what I thought originally but then I got confused....I was just checking.

But yeah. Re-watching this show from now on is going to be painful.

3 hours ago, divica said:

The real question is: If the first seasons were so good why didn t they use this extended break to hire a professional writer to write a book about how GOT should end? Then they could adapt the book as they did in the beguining...

That's a bizarre suggestion. Why wouldn't they just hire people to write the show for them?

1 hour ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

I wonder in what state of mind the writers were when they thought...: ''So in this scene Jon will come out of cover, face Viserion and.....wait for it ...... SCREAM''. Even the dumbest person would go, but why ? Not D&D apparently.

Do you think "Jon screams" appears in the script? Or is there just a prose poem about a man, a rock, and some lit butane?

1 hour ago, no_one_... said:

I didn't see that. They followed ravens on dragons in a frickin' blizzard? Might as well have used binoculars. 

18 minutes ago, darmody said:

I didn't see that. They followed ravens on dragons in a frickin' blizzard? Might as well have used binoculars. 

again sarcasm ...  but to continue along those lines the murder of crows can make a lot of noise if needed and Bran should've sent them out at the very beginning before the dumbass charge.

Regarding your other quote the NK was clearly alone and had to take time to raise the dead which he couldn't have done if Drogon attacked after the spear missed.

I'm new to the forum, but my understanding is that opinions can be freely shared in this, the "Rant and Rave Without Repercussion" thread. And there is to be no tedious backchat and counter-argument from those who don't think any complaining is justified.

D+D get one thing right - people who dislike the show are not necessarily going to dislike the exact same things. So it is with any cultural product. When the show overtook the books, there was a vacuum to fill. The showrunners saw fit to fill that vacuum with the story they wanted to tell. There will be multitudes of viewers who are perfectly okay with that. Unfortunately for many of us, the supernatural elements have been stripped out of the narrative to the point where the battle for humanity has been demoted to second place.

Of course I'll keep watching till the end. I regret that the show has fallen so far short of its early promise, but I am curious to know what "treats" the showrunners have in store for us.

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I did too, so... but to differentiate between us, I also used “bollocks” whenever I could. :D

I advised them to hire a consultant for battle strategies :D

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No, it's a mistake because it's a mistake. They are ignoring their own established canon and worldbuilding in order to do things that make them feel good....things that don't even hold water narratively, thematically or even artistically.

How has Cersei -- who many call a main character -- grown and developed in the last two seasons? How has Tyrion grown and developed in the last two seasons? When was the last time Varys did anything useful? What was Brienne's purpose last season? What was Melisandre doing in Volantis? Why does Bran -- more of a robot than an actual character -- care so much about Jon being "the true heir to the Iron Throne" and yet feel nothing towards his  actual family and the girl who saved his life multiple times? Melisandre has been talking about Azor Ahai and the Prince that Was Promised who would bring the dawn and save the realms of since season 2...what happened? How do Bran's powers work? What does the Night King want exactly? Why is the Night King immune to dragonfire but vulnerable to Valyrian steel? Why should have anyone cared about the White Walkers if they never got past Winterfell? Why did Daenerys only go North with Dothraki and Unsullied when the armies of Dorne and the Reach also pledged their swords to her?

Amen. The characters are either going nowhere, or are going stupid (the whole previous season I was hoping that the whole sister against sister "plot" was merely Arya and Sansa playing LF all the time but, no, it was seeeeerious, bleh). They're like headless chicken running in circles, the characters and writers alike.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:07 PM, Orphalesion said:

Just because D&D thought they were SMRT by "subverting" everyone's expectations and handing over Jon and Dany's purpose in the plot to a character who hasn't had a decent story line or any well executed character development since season 4.
This is what people gonna get when they clammour for Song of Ice and Fire to "subvert ALL the tropes!!!" no matter whether it makes sense or not.

It's been over a year since The Last Jedi subverted expectations, and it worked oh so well. People never learn, I guess.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:17 PM, Orphalesion said:

What has Dany done since taking Meereen? She flew around on some Dragons, nothing more. She brought Dragons into the world from fossils, coincidentally at the same time the WWs showed up, she had Red Priestesses all over Essos naming her as the savior.
And she did horsepoop when it came to saving the world, because "everybody would have expected it" and D&D thought they were clever by using Arya.
And the dragons were completely pointless. That's the biggest sin imho, relaly.

You must at least give her the khal barbecue which made use of the previously established fact that she is fireproof. Would have been nice if she had done some firewalking during the battle, too. I guess it would be a nice shocker if she came face to face with NK and Jon tried to roast the NK with Dany as a colateral damage - you know, whatever it takes, kill the boy  girl and let the man be born stuff. It would make for some nice dialogue later on - wait, when did I tell you I was fireproof? Errr....

The dragons are totally underutilised. It seems their biggest purpose is to fly around looking cool.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:41 PM, Orphalesion said:

I thought of something positive to come from all this.
Tonight's episode made me appreciate Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. I always really hated them and thought they trampled on a lot of Tlkien's themes.
But now I realize they were a pretty good adaption. They kept most of the characters and arcs intact as far as possible within the confines of three Hollywood Movies...

......and they didn't hand over the Ring to Merry and Pippin at the last minute to finish the quest.

Yeah, compared to what GoT is doing, they suddenly feel that much better. Still hate them, though, it's just that GoT has become so terrible. What a pity, given that season 1 felt really great. But the battle strategies and focus on looking kewl instead of making sense is right there from PJ's book.

Come to think of it: at least one major character should have been killed and raised as a wight during this episode, and pitted against someone closest to him/her. The episode had a lok of Walking Dead already, anyway, so why not use such a gutpuncher. My top choice would be Arya, to be killed by that Valyrian dagger she had given to Sansa, either by Tyrion or Sansa herself.

5 hours ago, D2procon said:

Seriously people yall need to calm down. This is TV for christs sakes not the books. How many of yall thought it was the most stupidest thing ever when Starks got killed at the red wedding? How many of yall thought it was the end and that Robb was destined to win it all? Yall still watched it and new stuff happened after. For gods sake we have 3 episodes left each 1 hour and 30 minute which is equal to about 5 episodes based on average 50 min last few episodes. Give them a freaking chance to finish the season before yall rant and rage about not wanting to watch anymore and how everything is screwed up.

I thought the Red Wedding was brilliant, bold writing - and figured that Robb would eventually die and lose his war like most other upstart rebellion leaders in history. The Red Wedding and other tragedies like Ned's execution and the mutiny against Jon Snow by the Night's Watch were superlative moments because they were perfectly crafted tragedies all interwoven into the overarching themes and storyline of the whole show/book series. That's exactly why people felt so strongly about them at all - which is what any writer should want from their readers/viewers when one of the main protagonists of his/her story dies. The Hollywood-scripted, HBO-budgeted LARP session that Game of Thrones has become provides us nothing of the sort, replacing it's tragedy and dark, heavy atmosphere with impressive visuals; puerile humor and dialogue; and frothy, insipid fan service.

10 hours ago, darmody said:

But she didn't tell Arya what to do. Besides by implication kill the Night King. (Assuming Jon told everyone his eyes are blue.) 

It would be one thing if Melisandre showed Arya a secret passage to the godswood Ned and Cat never told her about, or guided her through fire to get to where she could attack. Or just told her where to stab. But none of that. 

That would have made the scene meaningful. 

I meant her implication that she should kill the zombies. Arya knew they had blue eyes because she just fought them. Where she found out that killing the night king might take down the zombies...? Maybe just maybe Jon had mentioned that in a previous episode? 

Otherwise I do agree that the scene was rather meaningless and Arya’s getting out into the godswood and squirrel jumping at the NK and surviving long enough to stab him was a trainwreck. 

9 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

From the cinematographer, says the episode wasn't too dark.  Alrighty then.

“We tried to give the viewers and fans a cool episode to watch,” he said. “I know it wasn’t too dark because I shot it.”

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: 1. You failed. 2. The audience thinks it was. The customer is always right. Take responsibility. 

8 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

To make things worse with that moronic nonsesical charge, they made Jorah lead it. Jorah, no less,  a skilled experienced knight who had already fought the dead! It's like he was secretly working for the NK, with the only purpose of providing him more flesh for his army.  And him being the only one returning, along a couple horses and like 4 Dothrakis on foot... No words.

Yeah. Every single character here acted like they had no idea what they were going up against. 

5 hours ago, Kyrion said:

Did anyone watch the inside the episode?

They said many things that should piss everyone off-

Said they let the NK survive Dragon Fire cause it "looked cool"

Let Arya beat the NK cause it was unexpected

Said You decide, in regards to how the NK died to a Valyrian dagger, but not dragon fire....

NK died to Valyrian steel, and Arya had to hit the exact spot the dragonglass was stuck in the NK, and she did it. Yet this detail wasnt explained in the show proper, and basically is superfluous information we didnt need.

This is the kind of amateur stuff we have to deal with. They are clear con artists that conned GRRM telling him they will tell his story.

God no. I don’t watch that, there isn’t any therapy, vitamin B and magnesium in the world that could keep my nerve system intact if I listened to their pathetic condescending explanations. 

Still, I’m sure that thousands of fans are going to take screenshots and it’ll turn out that Arya didn’t stab the NK where his dragonglass wound was. Also, this would mean that sheer bad luck defeated the night king. 

For all the other stuff, I wouldn’t expect anything else from them. They gave up trying around season 5. 

Archived