Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

In regards to the quote from the cinematographer that said it wasn't too dark, I absolutely believe it was a way of blaming the post-production direction.  I also definitely saw compression issues in a lot of the blizzard shots, which distorted the images.  While watching, I idly wondered if it was a legitimate compression fuck up or a way of obscuring certain cg elements.  I'm actually inclined to believe that guy (although many people thought the northern scenes for the past several seasons were generally too dark).

I'm a video game developer with a degree in cg for what it's worth.

16 minutes ago, Wingednosering said:

In regards to the quote from the cinematographer that said it wasn't too dark, I absolutely believe it was a way of blaming the post-production direction.  I also definitely saw compression issues in a lot of the blizzard shots, which distorted the images.  While watching, I idly wondered if it was a legitimate compression fuck up or a way of obscuring certain cg elements.  I'm actually inclined to believe that guy (although many people thought the northern scenes for the past several seasons were generally too dark).

I'm a video game developer with a degree in cg for what it's worth.

I noticed the compression issues too. But I was streaming it and thought they sacrificed quality to save bandwidth. Are those issues present in TV version as well?

They have been abusing filters, especially the northern scenes where they colour corrected every scene and everything looked way too bluish. I also don't understand why they keep everything so dark. If I remember correctly, the Battle of Blackwater episode was not too dark even though it happened at night. At least I was able to understand what was going on and who was who.

As others have said, and I've said elsewhere, the only thing that can revive the plotlines now is if Bran has inherited the NK's powers to warg the dead.

It would be a very interesting twist for the power tussle between Bran and the NK to have actually been about each party only having part of the Children's powers, and needing to kill the other in order to inherit the full package. The NK wanted greensight, say, and Bran wants mass-warging powers. One of them must die. 

Then Bran can raise the dead to defeat Cersei. This opens the possibility that Cersei could be, in fact, killed by her dead son Tommen, thus fulfilling the volanquar prophecy with a nice GRRM horror twist, amidst the rest of the people she has killed also coming for her. Jon would then have to kill Bran in order to prevent him grossly misusing his power when Bran goes all "All men must die".

This all has some very interesting overtones: it would be very bittersweet. Jon and Dany would "win" but at the cost of Jon losing his family (Sansa would categorically fail to understand why Bran had to die) and having had to kill Bran. To save the North, he has had to kill the North. Dany would have the IT but no-one would be alive to share in her victory. Jaime would have to live knowing that his actions in throwing Bran out of the window led to thousands of deaths and the destruction of the North and KL, and his actions at the BfW meant an even greater horror down the line. It would also prove the maesters right in some sense.

The Battle for Winterfell and the death of the NK has no mean something more than just one of the "big bads" has gone. It has to have implications. Otherwise, nothing makes sense in the show. 

It would also force Cersei to recognise her failings through subverting her expectations. She believed either the North would win or she would face the dead. This way, the North wins AND she faces the dead.

Bran has to turn bad. It's the only way it works.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:25 PM, kissdbyfire said:

So, the NK hasn’t been defeated, it’s a fake out nd he’ll come back bigger and badder... in other words, it’s a genius twist and we will see how brilliant the whole thing is once we get there. 

Gotcha. It’s like Myrcella’s necklace, Cersei’s baby boy, and the old gods alone know how many other things that were going to have a huge payoff in the future... 

Sarcasm well noted and appreciated.  However the defeat of the Night King is much more important than those other things you mentioned.  D&D aren't so bad that they would completely blow the ending of the great war.  They are, after all, working off of detailed information from GRRM about the ending.  The Night King is not finished.  Big twist coming.  (I better be right about this..)

21 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Sarcasm well noted and appreciated.  However the defeat of the Night King is much more important than those other things you mentioned.  D&D aren't so bad that they would completely blow the ending of the great war.  They are, after all, working off of detailed information from GRRM about the ending.  The Night King is not finished.  Big twist coming.  (I better be right about this..)

They are that bad.  Just wait.  The WW/NK story is over, and it will be 4+ hours back to Cersei and KL, and I guess? another battle, hopefully in the day time, LOL.  I think there is still a twist coming but its not to do with the NK.

55 minutes ago, Masha's apron said:

As others have said, and I've said elsewhere, the only thing that can revive the plotlines now is if Bran has inherited the NK's powers to warg the dead.

It would be a very interesting twist for the power tussle between Bran and the NK to have actually been about each party only having part of the Children's powers, and needing to kill the other in order to inherit the full package. The NK wanted greensight, say, and Bran wants mass-warging powers. One of them must die. 

Then Bran can raise the dead to defeat Cersei. This opens the possibility that Cersei could be, in fact, killed by her dead son Tommen, thus fulfilling the volanquar prophecy with a nice GRRM horror twist, amidst the rest of the people she has killed also coming for her. Jon would then have to kill Bran in order to prevent him grossly misusing his power when Bran goes all "All men must die".

This all has some very interesting overtones: it would be very bittersweet. Jon and Dany would "win" but at the cost of Jon losing his family (Sansa would categorically fail to understand why Bran had to die) and having had to kill Bran. To save the North, he has had to kill the North. Dany would have the IT but no-one would be alive to share in her victory. Jaime would have to live knowing that his actions in throwing Bran out of the window led to thousands of deaths and the destruction of the North and KL, and his actions at the BfW meant an even greater horror down the line. It would also prove the maesters right in some sense.

The Battle for Winterfell and the death of the NK has no mean something more than just one of the "big bads" has gone. It has to have implications. Otherwise, nothing makes sense in the show. 

It would also force Cersei to recognise her failings through subverting her expectations. She believed either the North would win or she would face the dead. This way, the North wins AND she faces the dead.

I'm going to pretend this is the ending of the show, regardless of what happens, because it gives some real satisfaction.

I can absolutely 100% guarantee they haven't put that much thought into it.  I just can't see them reversing everything we've seen them do for the last several seasons and suddenly start making sense again.

But I do admire your optimism.  That ending to the story would be so beautifully fulfilling.

The Night king is done in this story, and the 3ER's powers will probably fade because of it.

Its possible there is still some magic in the land of always winter that will cause the cycle to repeat in a few thousand years, but it seems more likely to me that this is heading to a LOTR type ending where the magic is leaving the world and Men have to fair for themselves.

49 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

The Night King is not finished.  Big twist coming.  (I better be right about this..)

Yup, ypu better be... 1st because it could salvage something of the ending, but I'll tell you now, I most definitely won't hold my breath. And 2nd, because you'll obviously never hear the end of it. :P

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yup, ypu better be... 1st because it could salvage something of the ending, but I'll tell you now, I most definitely won't hold my breath. And 2nd, because you'll obviously never hear the end of it. :P

There is definitely a big twist coming, for certain, Arya ninja out of the sky to end the WW threat is not a twist from the author, so there has to be one more big twist that will be intelligent, but it won't have anything to do with the NK.  It may or may not save the show, but I've got a Lost vibe for it now, episode 3 has destroyed too much of the story to make the end anything but an anti climax of an anti climax.

1 hour ago, Masha's apron said:

The Battle for Winterfell and the death of the NK has no mean something more than just one of the "big bads" has gone. It has to have implications. Otherwise, nothing makes sense in the show

So optimistic, so hopeful. 

And I fear, so wrong. 

I'm going with the nothing makes sense.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, Art Vandelay said:

On Monday nights in the UK there's an after show featuring celebrity guests, where they sit around and try to convince themselves and the viewer that what they just watched was the most mesmerising thing ever. It's the most hilariously cringey thing on TV, they would not say a single negative thing about it. Even after the Dorne episodes.

I just feel that if your show needs one after show where the "writers" justify their bad decisions with justifications that are rarely logical and another after show where you have to pay celebrities to talk up your show like it's the bestest thing ever then your show ain't that good.

I've noticed similar with The Walking Dead. It seems to actually work on some people too, which is worrying. Surely that time would be better served making their amazing shows longer.

Remember the good old days when it was the lovely Geoff Lloyd and Annabel Port, with input from Elio and Linda?

Geoff also did cast interviews online and a superb interview with GRRM himself, where he talks about the tankers of money driven up to his home to convince him to do the series :laugh:

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There is definitely a big twist coming, for certain, Arya ninja out of the sky to end the WW threat is not a twist from the author, so there has to be one more big twist that will be intelligent, but it won't have anything to do with the NK.  It may or may not save the show, but I've got a Lost vibe for it now, episode 3 has destroyed too much of the story to make the end anything but an anti climax of an anti climax.

Agree completely. And whatever big twist is coming may very well be totally ruined by being so utterly mishandled, much as we got w/ the NK/WW "threat". As you say, the anticlimax of the anticlimax.

1 hour ago, Masha's apron said:

I really like this. This is far too clever for the show though. 

24 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

We know the twist is tyrion burning Kl. It was even in grrm's original manuscript that he would burn winterfell so it probably makes sense in the books. 

And I just can t see how the show is saved. Cersei and euron are c class villains compared with the NK... And there is zero political complexity in the show at this moment. Cersei having a deus ex machina battle plan won t save anything... 

2 minutes ago, divica said:

We know the twist is tyrion burning Kl. It was even in grrm's original manuscript that he would burn winterfell so it probably makes sense in the books. 

And I just can t see how the show is saved. Cersei and euron are c class villains compared with the NK... And there is zero political complexity in the show at this moment. Cersei having a deus ex machina battle plan won t save anything... 

Why would he burn KL?  To what end?  The leak said he burned it to prevent the city from being part of the WW army, but the WW are defeated.

The Show just stretched the last bit of George’s final book into 3 episodes of the final Season. George surely plans a fair bit of post Battle for the Dawn wrap up at the very end of the series. In his style thats probably a hundred pages or so. But with the understanding that the big battle is done. His scouring of the shire homage.

But D&D in their moronic wisdom have decided to make Cersei the Final Boss fight instead, when in truth that should be the Others. They just don’t get it. So they have 3 more Episodes covering what should be an afterthought only.

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why would he burn KL?  To what end?  The leak said he burned it to prevent the city from being part of the WW army, but the WW are defeated.

I think the original leak just said that in ep 6 we had tyrion's trial because he burned KL. Why he burned it was a speculation. 

At this moment I can only see him burning kl if they are loosing the war or if goes insane with revenge when he sees the small folk celebrating the death of his brother. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Who wrote the last three episodes?  If was the showrunners, I'd say we are in for another big disappointment, at least Cogman has some sense of story and narrative.

It was the showrunners. They even directed the last ep

4 minutes ago, divica said:

It was the showrunners. They even directed the last ep

No Michel Sapochnik directed The Long Night, same guy who directed Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards. David Nutter directed the first two. They each directed one more, with D&D directing the final episode. Dave Hill wrote the first episode, Cogman the second, D&D the rest.

Archived