Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

Just now, Corvinus said:

No Michel Sapochnik directed The Long Night, same guy who directed Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards. David Nutter directed the first two. They each directed one more, with D&D directing the final episode. Dave Hill wrote the first episode, Cogman the second, D&D the rest.

I meant last ep of the season (ep6) 

4 hours ago, W1NT3RF3LL said:

If you noticed before Melisandre did her spell, they were attempting to light it with fire arrows and they simply weren't hot enough.  My guess is that those torches that Davos had weren't going to be good enough either.

In every other film or show, lit oil is lit oil. Weather its one Fire Arrow or dragon flame. Its just they wanted to have the drama of it not working. Such an Average everyday trope like the car not starting when your being chased by Micheal Myers or something. Its ironic how adament they were in subverting expectations but used a million and one every day tropes thruout the episode. smh

3 hours ago, Wingednosering said:

In regards to the quote from the cinematographer that said it wasn't too dark, I absolutely believe it was a way of blaming the post-production direction.  I also definitely saw compression issues in a lot of the blizzard shots, which distorted the images.  While watching, I idly wondered if it was a legitimate compression fuck up or a way of obscuring certain cg elements.  I'm actually inclined to believe that guy (although many people thought the northern scenes for the past several seasons were generally too dark).

I'm a video game developer with a degree in cg for what it's worth.

It was too dark... Even for those who loved it. So no i don't believe him. I can see. It one of the bigger voiced complaints.

39 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Who wrote the last three episodes?  If was the showrunners, I'd say we are in for another big disappointment, at least Cogman has some sense of story and narrative.

That's my understanding, the Ds wrote 3 through 6. Could be wrong. Hope I am?

2 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Sarcasm well noted and appreciated.  However the defeat of the Night King is much more important than those other things you mentioned.  D&D aren't so bad that they would completely blow the ending of the great war.  They are, after all, working off of detailed information from GRRM about the ending.  The Night King is not finished.  Big twist coming.  (I better be right about this..)

LOL I like your dedication. But they've destroyed MANY storylines... whats 1 more!?

Unless there is really an epic twist coming from Bran who is the only one left who can explain the NK, it seems like they sort of gutted their prequel here, also.  If we know that the WW are really vulnerable, so vulnerable that an assassin school drop out can take out their thousands of years of planning....what would be the point of watching a prequel?  We already know it comes to nothing.  And how could they ever square it with what happened in the Long Night?  How could they maintain any continuity?

53 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

No Michel Sapochnik directed The Long Night, same guy who directed Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards. David Nutter directed the first two. They each directed one more, with D&D directing the final episode. Dave Hill wrote the first episode, Cogman the second, D&D the rest.

Why did you have to do this ? Kick us while we're down. But seriously, that is depressing. The 2nd episode is one of my fav episodes. And 3rd the worst. So now we're getting more of D&D in the remaining 3 episodes ? :bang:

So the Night King being vulnerable to Valaryan steel and presumably dragon glass, so much so that one strike would destroy him and his entire army, wouldn't he, like...  wear full armor? Maybe even a helmet? 

Seems he was really lightly armored given the situation. 

Hmmmm

Given the risk that were he to fall, his entire army and purpose are destroyed wouldn't it make more sense to have his White Walkers apprehend Bran and bring him to a secure location where he can kill him there? 

The only explanation is the Night King is powerful but extremely stupid. 

Lucky for our heroes!

3 hours ago, Masha's apron said:

As others have said, and I've said elsewhere, the only thing that can revive the plotlines now is if Bran has inherited the NK's powers to warg the dead.

It would be a very interesting twist for the power tussle between Bran and the NK to have actually been about each party only having part of the Children's powers, and needing to kill the other in order to inherit the full package. The NK wanted greensight, say, and Bran wants mass-warging powers. One of them must die. 

Then Bran can raise the dead to defeat Cersei. This opens the possibility that Cersei could be, in fact, killed by her dead son Tommen, thus fulfilling the volanquar prophecy with a nice GRRM horror twist, amidst the rest of the people she has killed also coming for her. Jon would then have to kill Bran in order to prevent him grossly misusing his power when Bran goes all "All men must die".

This all has some very interesting overtones: it would be very bittersweet. Jon and Dany would "win" but at the cost of Jon losing his family (Sansa would categorically fail to understand why Bran had to die) and having had to kill Bran. To save the North, he has had to kill the North. Dany would have the IT but no-one would be alive to share in her victory. Jaime would have to live knowing that his actions in throwing Bran out of the window led to thousands of deaths and the destruction of the North and KL, and his actions at the BfW meant an even greater horror down the line. It would also prove the maesters right in some sense.

The Battle for Winterfell and the death of the NK has no mean something more than just one of the "big bads" has gone. It has to have implications. Otherwise, nothing makes sense in the show. 

It would also force Cersei to recognise her failings through subverting her expectations. She believed either the North would win or she would face the dead. This way, the North wins AND she faces the dead.

Bran has to turn bad. It's the only way it works.

I'm hanging onto this for dear life and I hope by the old gods and the new that you're right. 

27 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Unless there is really an epic twist coming from Bran who is the only one left who can explain the NK, it seems like they sort of gutted their prequel here, also.  If we know that the WW are really vulnerable, so vulnerable that an assassin school drop out can take out their thousands of years of planning....what would be the point of watching a prequel?  We already know it comes to nothing.  And how could they ever square it with what happened in the Long Night?  How could they maintain any continuity?

I have no idea why nobody asked how they stoped the previous long night...

But in regards to the prequel. After investing 7 years of developing the story of the ww and how dangerous they are we just had them being stoped in their first batle by a single faceless drop out in single combat without them threatning the rest of westeros.

Does anyone want to invest more time of their lives watching another series about the ww after we just had all our theories and questions crushed without having any kind of answers? Does anyone trust we wont have another unfulfilled final? 

Now I understand the talk about maybe not having any prequel. The HBO people saw that this season was so bad that nobody would want to see another series...

4 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

I'm hanging onto this for dear life and I hope by the old gods and the new that you're right. 

Denial is one of the stages of grief...

Bran will probably go into some cave wait for the next 3er...

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Denial is one of the stages of grief...

Bran will probably go into some cave wait for the next 3er...

No, not in denial. I doubt D&D put that much thought into it. 

In all seriousness, aren't you guys curious about how D&D are going to fuck this up even further?

We could even have a fun debate as to what the worst decisions could be, and how many of them will end up in the actual show.

Just now, Madarjeen said:

In all seriousness, aren't you guys curious about how D&D are going to fuck this up even further?

We could even have a fun debate as to what the worst decisions could be, and how many of them will end up in the actual show.

Yes, I am clueless as to what they can possibly fill 3 episodes with and how any death other than Jamie or Cersei can have meaning in the story, now that the good guys won the big battle.  Main characters like Arya, Jon, Dany dying now would be less than no payoff.  What would the moral of this series be?  Everything sucks, even when you win, you lose.  

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, I am clueless as to what they can possibly fill 3 episodes with and how any death other than Jamie or Cersei can have meaning in the story, now that the good guys won the big battle.  Main characters like Arya, Jon, Dany dying now would be less than no payoff.  What would the moral of this series be?  Everything sucks, even when you win, you lose.  

Cersei could hire j'haqen to kill danny before the battle and then arya goes after him?

Euron could have the dragon horn and trows the battle into caos?

qyburn might have created his army of undead and we get a stupid replay from last battle?

Archived