Jump to content
Lady Fevre Dream

Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think it's ruined, I don't see how 3+ hours of Lena drinking wine and blabbing to Qyborn and Euron, and somehow, yet again, killing her enemies is anything worth even watching.  The story that has been building for 8 years of the magical, unstoppable force of the WW was over in the blink of eye without any magic employed at all.  That is only surprising in its stupidity.  What can happen?  Cersei kills a dragon? Cersei kills Arya?  Cersei kills Sansa?  Cersei kills Jon or Dany?  Cersei should already be dead or in prison.

We've got Cleganebowl, the Bronn showdown, another battle?  And then, epilogue.  Dany and her baby bump, a great council.  Who cares?  The whole story it turns out was as pointless as the War of the Roses, pointless killing and death for no reason except personal greed and BS.

We won't get Cleganebowl, its too predictable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

:agree:It's like you took all of that directly from my brain, add to that Jon riding a dragon once and deciding that is what he should be doing during the biggest battle of his life ignoring all of his life experience as a commander and supposedly one of the best swordsmen in the seven kingdoms. There would be better odds on Dany using both dragons to great affect than Jon could as a novice rider. I can't be the only one that thinks Cersei should've died ages ago. Lena heady is a great actress and she did a great job as Cersei but they bled every ounce of relevance and interest out of the character years ago but yeah more badass Carol and Larry adventures inbound. I dread to think what will happen in the finale.

Yes, that battle had no battle planning.

Commanders should have battle experience, instead of we have Brienne who has no experience (I guess being a swordwoman is enough) and Little Lady Morment who is a child (she talks back to adults, so it's okay).

Lena Heady might be a great actress, but she's completely miscast as Cersei, IMHO. Worse, she wearing the same scowl since the pilot - she's always mentally in the same place.

Book Cersei is awesome! She's a horrible human being and a sociopath, but she's highly entertaining and her chapters are hysterical. Show Cersei - Carol - blank, dready and boooooooring!

And I agree with you that she's long dead in the books, but that's what you get when cut out FAegon and lots of plotlines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It seems nobody understand the concept of earned surprised.  This is the same as the TLJ nonesense in SW, any hack can come up with a surprise that comes out of nowhere and isn't setup which surprises people.  But those types of surprises are totally unsatisfying. The genius is to set it up and still have it come as a surprise, that was the brilliance of something like the Red Wedding, in retrospect all the signs were there, but it still surprises you anyway when it happens.

 

 

Yeah, didn’t GRRM say that he won’t set up the story where all the hints point to the butler and then do a switcheroo and have the maid do it. TLJ was complete rubbish if you consider all the SW mythology in the previous movies. Similarly, here, all the myth and prophesy were thrown out just so that D&D could shock the audience. Based on Benioff’s comment, it almost seemed like Jon was their initial choice but they decided to go with Arya since Jon was too predictable. What they don’t understand is that it makes everything that came before meaningless. I guess they don’t care. They’ve wanted to finish this show for about 4 seasons now. 

If they wanted Arya to inflict the killing blow, the least they could have done is have Jon and Arya fight the NK and his lieutenants together, with a little help from Bran and Dany. There were so many ways they could have done it if they wanted to give purpose to Arya’s FM training. But no they had to have her run like the wind and jump like a ninja (that too an invisible ninja) for the kill. 

At this rate, they’ll have Sansa killing Cersei. Forget Jamie or Tyrion, it’s Sansa. Sansa has to catch up with Arya’s badassness and what better way than killing the big bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

They made a Pact at the Isle of Faces, that's what the Children did to survive the war, before the First Men would end up destroying the forests of the Riverlands as well. And we can assume that the CotF revealed to the FM during the making of the Pact why they should preserve the weirwoods: because there are truth-seers (greenseers) living beneath the roots and all the memories of children and giants and already dead heroes go up into the tree, because the FM agreed to leave the forests as Children's territory and to never harm a weirwood again, in time worshiping the same trees. And then thousands of years later, while people never harmed forests, weirwoods and children ever again, they suddenly decide to make Others in the Heart of Winter, behind a curtain that withholds light from reaching into it? Nah. There isn't even evidence that the Others caused the Long Night. Some other cataclysm did that. The Others were just opportunistic about it.

Once there were two moons in the sky.

It is known. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think it's ruined, I don't see how 3+ hours of Lena drinking wine and blabbing to Qyborn and Euron, and somehow, yet again, killing her enemies is anything worth even watching.  The story that has been building for 8 years of the magical, unstoppable force of the WW was over in the blink of eye without any magic employed at all.  That is only surprising in its stupidity.  What can happen?  Cersei kills a dragon? Cersei kills Arya?  Cersei kills Sansa?  Cersei kills Jon or Dany?  Cersei should already be dead or in prison.

We've got Cleganebowl, the Bronn showdown, another battle?  And then, epilogue.  Dany and her baby bump, a great council.  Who cares?  The whole story it turns out was as pointless as the War of the Roses, pointless killing and death for no reason except personal greed and BS.

If there is some plotting behind the scenes it could have some interest. If it becomes a battle resolved on battle strategies it would suck. And unfortunatly acording to the leaks

Spoiler

cersei must be winning because tyrion thinks he has to burn KL. given the last 3 eps I don t think he would do it if danny was winning… Unless bronn kills Jaime and for some reason he goes crazy… with D&D anything is possible...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm inclined to think that leak is wrong and there is no Tyrion trial, how many about faces on Tyrion is Dany going to do in a single season?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MarkPierre said:

Commanders should have battle experience, instead of we have Brienne who has no experience (I guess being a swordwoman is enough) and Little Lady Morment who is a child (she talks back to adults, so it's okay).

 

I keep trying to figure out why Lyanna Mormont was allowed to stay and fight but Tyrion (who has actually commanded men in battle before) got sent down to the crypts...LOL. How insulting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Can we at least expect the battle to be in KL and happening in daytime, so we can at least see something? Yeah, nothing to look forward to... 

Yeah, seems like the battle is in KL.

Edited by teej6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nami said:

I just have one question please:

 

 

 

where did Arya come from?

I was wondering that as well. Did she jump from a height or use a ramp/trampoline? All of a sudden there she was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Once there were two moons in the sky.

It is known. 

;) Yes, we can rule out a chain of volcanoes causing it, since neither the Doom nor the volcanic disaster at Hardhome caused a global darkness lasting a generation.

Grrr, just talking about this shows how nuanced GRRM does his world building and what a mess D&D made out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

The Ghost stuff in the last two episodes smells like this.

8.02 "Oh, you're upset we parked Ghost for a season, are you? Here's your Ghost, slapped on like a bumper sticker on this battlement scene! That's the thing about Ghost, he's so quiet no one even knows he's there!"

8.03 "Run free with the Dothraki, Ghost! Because screw you - we never liked you anyway! No one will know what happened because WE'RE calling the shots here and that's hilarious!"

I've never been able to stomach the Inside The Episode segments, but I'm beginning to think these guys are deliberately being dicks in some instances.

It's sad to think of how much time and sentiment George put into creating that bond between the starks and their direwolves and with Jon and ghost being runts of the litter both growing in stature throughout the story where as Dumb and Dumber did everything they could to unburden themselves with the direwolves from the get go. They don't do symbolism or metaphors very well....can they interest you in another cock joke or a cringey story about cousin Orson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

;) Yes, we can rule out a chain of volcanoes causing it, since neither the Doom nor the volcanic disaster at Hardhome caused a global darkness lasting a generation.

Grrr, just talking about this shows how nuanced GRRM does his world building and what a mess D&D made out of it.

I couldn't agree more.

When this is over, we should start a club and rewrite the show as it should be done. :D Think we could sell that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

I couldn't agree more.

When this is over, we should start a club and rewrite the show as it should be done. :D Think we could sell that? 

I actually read somewhere that someone was considering redoing the show as an animated series. I pray that happens for all our sake

Edited by darksellsword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm inclined to think that leak is wrong and there is no Tyrion trial, how many about faces on Tyrion is Dany going to do in a single season?  

friki is the one legit leaker we know. The thing is that tyrion burning KL doesn t need to be a treason. He can do it to save them and defeat cersei.

The problem is that people won t like he burned all the inocents in KL… Even though last season he was the one that didn t want to use the dragons in KL...

Honestly I would bet that tyrion, varys, super arya, the hound and 1 or 2 more characters will infiltrate KL to deal with the caches of wildfire and when tyrion notices they are losing he decides to just burn the city while super arya is killing the mountain and the GC. In the end people will be pissed he didn t give more time for arya to even the odds….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

;) Yes, we can rule out a chain of volcanoes causing it, since neither the Doom nor the volcanic disaster at Hardhome caused a global darkness lasting a generation.

Grrr, just talking about this shows how nuanced GRRM does his world building and what a mess D&D made out of it.

Also, the NK's symbol (Children of the Forest) is a pinwheel/sunwheel. In ancient cultures, these meant comets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, divica said:

friki is the one legit leaker we know. The thing is that tyrion burning KL doesn t need to be a treason. He can do it to save them and defeat cersei.

The problem is that people won t like he burned all the inocents in KL… Even though last season he was the one that didn t want to use the dragons in KL...

Honestly I would bet that tyrion, varys, super arya, the hound and 1 or 2 more characters will infiltrate KL to deal with the caches of wildfire and when tyrion notices they are losing he decides to just burn the city while super arya is killing the mountain and the GC. In the end people will be pissed he didn t give more time for arya to even the odds….

Yeah, but why would he do that?  He already counseled  her several times NOT to burn King's Landing.  Fuck, if she had burned KL from the start then all our fav characters including Viserion would still be alive, the Dothraki would be alive.  Dany would have had control of all the armies of Westeros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MarkPierre said:

Yes, that battle had no battle planning.

Commanders should have battle experience, instead of we have Brienne who has no experience (I guess being a swordwoman is enough) and Little Lady Morment who is a child (she talks back to adults, so it's okay).

Lena Heady might be a great actress, but she's completely miscast as Cersei, IMHO. Worse, she wearing the same scowl since the pilot - she's always mentally in the same place.

Book Cersei is awesome! She's a horrible human being and a sociopath, but she's highly entertaining and her chapters are hysterical. Show Cersei - Carol - blank, dready and boooooooring!

And I agree with you that she's long dead in the books, but that's what you get when cut out FAegon and lots of plotlines.

Sadly there was battle planning and it was the mess we saw last night. Starting with the pointless Dothraki charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This series is closer to a Transformer movie than the Song of Ice and Fire.  Speaking of which the dragon fight was just like a scene in Transformers.  Who is fighting, what am I looking at, who just got bit, who just got clawed?  No idea, just a whirlwind of cgi and quick cuts from one angle to another until I feel like I'm watching the inside of a washing machine full of clothes that are all just different shades of black.  The rest of my gripes...

 

Jon (The Prince that was Pointless): Did nothing of any note in the culmination of his character's entire arc.  Also when he was outside the walls and the NK rose hundreds if not thousands of new wights around him and he was completely surrounded and hopelessly outnumber, he wouldn't last five seconds.  This happened constantly throughout the episode.  We'd see our heroes about to be overwhelmed by huge numbers of wights, cut away, and cut back to them fighting them off one at a time.  WTF?  I really thought for a second that Jon was going to kill Viserion by plunging Longclaw through one of the dragon's open wounds (which would've been sick and made him a legend forever) but instead he goes for the Skyrim "BOOSH" move.  Dude you haven't even been grinding that branch of the skill tree, go do some side quests. 

 

Mel:  Where did she come from? Seriously? And if she didn't show up they were going to send the Dothraki out to face the army of the dead without dragonglass or fire?  They might as well have been wearing red shirts.

 

Arya:  Felt completely unearned to have her kill the NK, especially since it seems she just sprinted at him between all the ranks of wights and walkers who couldn't be bothered to notice.  Once second they can heard blood dripping on a wooden floor in the middle of a battle, the next they don't notice someone sprinting past them towards the only thing they care to protect?  If we saw Arya's attack from a camera angle that actually showed her movements it would look ridiculous, and that's what makes it hard to swallow.  I'm saying this as an Arya fan btw, my favorite part of the episode was when she showed up on the walls and started crushing fools with that staff thing.

 

Dany: Still pouting about the Iron Throne, even if it means the end of humanity.  Very on brand for her.

 

Drogon: I thought dragon scales were almost impossible to penetrate?  Wights seemed to have no problem using rusty old sporks.  Maybe he uses too much moisturizer.

 

Night King: What is his dress made out of?  Fine he's immune to dragon fire but the outfit too?

 

White Walkers:  No fights?!  I was really looking forward to seeing some of the Valerian steel sword carrying characters face off with the walkers.

 

Tyrion and Sansa:  The greatest minds of our generation are shocked SHOCKED to learn that there are a bunch of dead people buried in the crypts, who could've known.

 

In all seriousness though D&D are clearly writing the story around their favorite characters instead of the other way around.  They love Arya so she gets the NK kill, they love Cercei so she is the final boss fight even though her character should've been done two seasons ago.  Complex storytelling is not their forte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

I actually read somewhere that someone was considering redoing the show as an animated series. I pray that happens for all our sake

I'll watch that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this taking a small point too far but I do think the lack of description with the Night King's abilities to be a little frustrating. He's invulnerable to fire, seemed to be able to whip up weather patterns, can raise the dead easily and seems to be able to magically imbue weapons with magic. I get "fantasy blah blah blah" but a little hint at his history beyond being simply stabbed with obsidian would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×