Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

2 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

The funny thing about this is we've been conditioned and built up to expect a hugely disappointing finale since season 4.  So nearly four full seasons of the expectation that we will be punished for sticking with it.  Has any television show ever been able to keep a crowd hate-watching like this one?  I mean, this isn't some late game swerve where you get one episode of fail after ten years of awesome.  We've seen the writing on the wall for years now, yet some of us keep watching.

There is some form of talent in creators that can fail so hard they make the viewer want to keep watching just to see how large the train-wreck can get.  They're doing a spectacular job on that level.

It's not that I hate, hate watch, but I don't mind a bit of PnLing at something.  That hasn't kept me here this long, though.  The main thing that kept me here was the ability to see glimpses of characters I love, thanks to the actors.  I'll give the visuals, the CGI Dragons a shout out, too.  Mostly, though, it was that glimpse of characters I know that I would see from time to time that kept me here.  Also now, it was the chance to take the Ds ending material and decide if it made sense, although I doubted it would.  These are the things that kept me here.  That, and I'm stubborn, and too lazy to change, maybe, LOL 

11 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

I heard this so I watched that scene with the subtitles on and it says, "Yells.  (Viserion growls.)"  And I don't hear "Gooooooooooooo!" - I hear "arggghhh". :) 

Well, I don't mind "improving on d&d" ;) There's some wriggle room just for my own peace of mind. But not defending d&d on it.

ETA: stupid thing is that whenever I have to rewatch that tidbit, I also have to rewatch a wight sticking dragonglass through Jorah's plated steel armor :bang:

ETA: Whether it's aaaagh or gooooooo... he definitely does either this: "aaaaaaaaaaaagh! agh! agh!" or "goooooooo! go! goo!". He takes a breath in between his shouting twice. And the music actually picks up on a more positive note, with Bran looking thoughtful for a moment and the NK being puzzled, before we get Jon shouting, and then the wisp of hair moving of a WW as Arya zips by before jumping.

53 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

Dragonglass and Valyrian steel have elements of fire in them , Valyrian steel is said to be made with spells and forged orginally with dragonfire so the idea that magic dragonfire couldn't kill the NightKing is like saying a tanning bed could kill a vampire but Sunlight couldn't, it just doesn't make any sense.

Oh, I love this explanation.  :thumbsup:

Just now, sweetsunray said:

Well, I don't mind "improving on d&d" ;) There's some wriggle room just for my own peace of mind. But not defending d&d on it.

ETA: stupid thing is that whenever I have to rewatch that tidbit, I also have to rewatch a wight sticking dragonglass through Jorah's plated steel armor :bang:

Do you remember that in season 1 jorah's armor stoped the weapon of a dothriaki and he defeated a bloodrider because of that?

1 minute ago, divica said:

Do you remember that in season 1 jorah's armor stoped the weapon of a dothriaki and he defeated a bloodrider because of that?

Yes. It's silly. If the wight stuck the dragonglass in his side or under his armpit or something, sure... but sticks it right in his chest! :bang: Plate armor is worthless. Plot armor though :lmao:

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

Yes. It's silly. If the wight stuck the dragonglass in his side or under his armpit or something, sure... but sticks it right in his chest! :bang: Plate armor is worthless. Plot armor though :lmao:

GOT is the gift that keeps on giving, the more you watch the more plot holes you can find.  I missed that.  Just another little kick in the teeth of logic.

I was really annoyed at how Dany just sobs over Jorah as he is dying, I love Emilia Clarke as Dany I know that isn't a popular opinion but I think she was spot on with the level of emotion but her not saying anything to him when he is about to die. It would've felt more authentic if she had said I love you or I'm sorry, even a thank you would've felt more honest. The guy lived and suffered for his Khaleesi from the very start, hell he even had greyscale cut off most his body just so he could serve her and she couldn't just let him die whispering a sweet lie in his ear.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

GOT is the gift that keeps on giving, the more you watch the more plot holes you can find.  I missed that.  Just another little kick in the teeth of logic.

Here you go! From 1:07

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

So true. I almost rewatched ep 3 a couple of times. Almost, but couldn’t really bring myself to do it. Life’s too short.

But I have zero doubts that if I do eventually rewatch it I will find more things I missed the first time that will annoy me immensely. 

57 minutes ago, divica said:

And you don t find it ridiculous? That the threat people have feared for thousands of years can be defeated with simple weapons? They don t have to do anything special or magical to defeat this uber threat? 

Not at all, because as I've already said, it's stated throughout the series that Valyrian steel will kill them, so it makes perfect sense to me.

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

So true. I almost rewatched ep 3 a couple of times. Almost, but couldn’t really bring myself to do it. Life’s too short.

But I have zero doubts that if I do eventually rewatch it I will find more things I missed the first time that will annoy me immensely. 

I did one rewatch, I saw a little more stuff the second time around, but still, there were many scenes where I could barely recognize the characters and couldn't what they were doing at all.  Despite their claims of 'artistic choice' and blaming the viewers, I think this is going to eventually go down in infamy...the biggest battle ever and no one could see it.  The jokes write themselves.

6 hours ago, Vuron said:

I wouldn't say she killed Littlefinger.  She was simply acting as an executioner for Sansa, which anyone in the room could have done.  You dont need 5 years of training to slit the throat of a defenseless man kneeling on the floor.

I might agree that killing the Freys could have been the point of her arc if it had even been mentioned, but it seems like all of Westeros doesn't even seem to be aware that they're gone.  

To be fair, she didn't have five years of training to do 98% of what we've seen her do. She just does it. 

You look at her the wrong way by thinking some major killing was the point of her arc. There was massive foreshadowing that she'd be an assassin, but like I said she's easily killed 50 people so far. How much more do you need? 

It would have helped had her character not been turned into  soulless Badass Shocking Death Machine since season six. Then her arc could've been setting aside her list to reunite with her family, maybe fall back in love with Gendry, and not be a psycho who threatens to cut her sister's face off. 

6 hours ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

The hero of the story are the women. Jon is one of the most useless characters. 

Let's recap. Jon comes back from the dead, if he didn't Dany wouldn't have lost her dragons and the wall wouldn't have fallen. Then Jon comes up with a shitty battle plan and loses vs the Boltons, Sansa saves his ass. Then Jon goes beyond the wall and again, Dany saves his ass. Losing a dragon because of him. Then Jon comes up with the rest with one of the worst battle plans ever and would have lost again but Arya saves his ass. 

Arya's entire arc is to take revenge for the things done to her family. She killed the Freys and took revenge on the Red Wedding massacre. Meaningless ?  Does she really have to kill a major character for her or any other characters arc to be useless ? There's onla Cersei left, who gets to kill her ? Jamie, Tyrion, Jon, Sansa etc. so automatically 3 of them are going to be meaningless ? Come on. Let's recap again. Who did Jon kill as a major character ? Answer: NO ONE.  At least Arya filled her character arc by avenging the people who destroyed her family with the red wedding. Cersei still left. Jons entire arc was the NK and the army of the dead. And he didn't get to do anything besides come up with a horrible battle plan. As always.

There is much wrong with this statement, though I will admit Jon is a dumbass who fails at most everything. But the battleplan was successful, in that they did lure the Night King into the open. They just didn't know he couldn't be killed by dragonfire. (I still don't know why.) It might have been smarter to do this without surrounding Bran with a massive army, and instead have an empty castle with Bran and Arya in the godswood. But you can't blame Jon for that. The show demanded a big battle. 

Who did Jon kill as a major character? No one, as you say. Though he did beat Ramsay to a pulp. That wasn't his role, however. He was leader of men. Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, general of a Wildling army, King of the North. He successfully waged the Battle of the Wall and the Evacuation of Hardhome. Then he got himself killed like an idiot. Then he wrote up a battleplan for the Battle of the Bastards which might have worked, but he went Full Retard and should have died. 

That was Sansa's fault too. Because she as much as committed treason by concealing the fact that the Vale army was nearby. Which got her brother, presumptive heir to Robb as King in the North, killed. 

Also, the Wight Hunt was Tyrion's fault. Blaming Jon for the dragon's death and the collapse of the Wall is far-fetched. 

9 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

*Mic Drop*

One of my favorite youtubers tore this episode apart and it is glorious.

Definitely gonna watch it. Interesting thing I noticed is the vid got 30,000 thumbs up and just under 1,000 thumbs down. 

6 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

And to think people thought and still think that Game of Thrones was the best television show in the world, superior in every way to The Walking Dead.

Um...The Walking Dead has its own problems but it has never ever made the same narrative mistakes seen in Game of Thrones.

Walking Dead made a huge mistake in killing off one of its main characters. But the rest has been a general decline in quality. Repeating themselves, becoming tedious, making people do illogical and out of character things, plotholes. But nothing I can think of on the order of the Wight Hunt or Cersei's tenure in the throne. 

7 minutes ago, darmody said:

Walking Dead made a huge mistake in killing off one of its main characters. But the rest has been a general decline in quality. Repeating themselves, becoming tedious, making people do illogical and out of character things, plotholes. But nothing I can think of on the order of the Wight Hunt or Cersei's tenure in the throne. 

Red = That's the point.

Blue = Game of Thrones does the same things but, for some reason, the same mistakes are damning for the Walking Dead

2 hours ago, Tianzi said:

was no magic. Bran showed nothing. The NK showed nothing.

Well, the Night King did bring a blizzard and raise the freshly-fallen dead. Which Jon totally should have expected but apparently forgot about. 

Also, the Red Witch did witch things. 

Archived