Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

Just now, Jabar of House Titan said:

Red = That's the point.

Blue = Game of Thrones does the same things but, for some reason, the same mistakes are damning for the Walking Dead

To be fair, they killed the most interesting character. It would be the same as GOT killing jon and danny last season. 

38 minutes ago, darmody said:

That was Sansa's fault too. Because she as much as committed treason by concealing the fact that the Vale army was nearby. Which got her brother, presumptive heir to Robb as King in the North, killed. 

Also, the Wight Hunt was Tyrion's fault. Blaming Jon for the dragon's death and the collapse of the Wall is far-fetched.  

Wait.

How can you say Sansa committed treason why concealing the fact that the Vale army is nearby?

She kept reiterating the fact that they needed to wait and that they needed more men. The Valemen were late to the battle and they look like they were also unprepared for a long siege.

Can Sansa trust Littlefinger? No, so it makes sense why she would wait until the last minute to make a decision about accepting his help. And it also makes why she didn't tell Jon about the Valemen army....because that would lead to a very awkward conversation about Littlefinger.

Face it. Rickon was doomed. There was no way Ramsay was going to leave him alive. How does Sansa telling Jon about the possibility (it was no certainty at that point; Littlefinger loves to talk a good game) of having an additional army save Rickon's life when Rickon is already a prisoner of Ramsay Bolton?

Martin added: “I mean, I think … the major points of the ending will be things that I told them, you know, five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added.”

Just to rant about this. So martin isn t even sure if D&D are going to end the story like he told them?

IS he also done with D&D and just wants the show to end?

Just now, divica said:

To be fair, they killed the most interesting character. It would be the same as GOT killing jon and danny last season. 

Carl the most interesting character? Meh, I would prefer to say the character with the greatest potential and narrative backbone of the story but yes. I agree.

If Dany or Jon died last season, Game of Thrones would still truck on. As a matter of fact, in retrospect, it would have made more sense for Jon to die during the wight hunt. More real drama this season.

2 hours ago, State Trooper said:

Jesus! It's mentioned throughout the show that Valyrian steel will kill the dead. I honestly don't see what's so difficult to understand. 

No it isn't. Remember, it been a thousand years or whatever since the dead rose. We only find out Valyrian steel works against White Walkers when Jon kills one at Hardhome. The same battle in which it's not at all clear that his sword kills the dead. 

It is clear by the time of the Wight Hunt that Valyrian steel kills zombies, but that wasn't very long ago. 

27 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Definitely gonna watch it. Interesting thing I noticed is the vid got 30,000 thumbs up and just under 1,000 thumbs down. 

Yep, because Mauler is probably one of the best reviewers on Youtuber right now. His 5+ Hour Last Jedi critique introduced his genius/insight to a lot of people including me and I was hyped when he tweeted he was gonna make a video about this episode. That video has been posted for a day and it's almost at half a million views already. Really love seeing him succeed because he deserves it.

Just now, Jabar of House Titan said:

Wait.

How can you say Sansa committed treason why concealing the fact that the Vale army is nearby?

She kept reiterating the fact that they needed to wait and that they needed more men. The Valemen were late to the battle and they look like they were also unprepared for a long siege.

Can Sansa trust Littlefinger? No, so it makes sense why she would wait until the last minute to make a decision about accepting his help. And it also makes why she didn't tell Jon about the Valemen army....because that would lead to a very awkward conversation about Littlefinger.

Face it. Rickon was doomed. There was no way Ramsay was going to leave him alive. How does Sansa telling Jon about the possibility (it was no certainty at that point; Littlefinger loves to talk a good game) of having an additional army save Rickon's life when Rickon is already a prisoner of Ramsay Bolton?

It makes no sense. Sansa knew they needed more men. Jon agreed with her but there just weren t more men they could get.

So instead of telling him that there was an army nearby she keeps silent? what if they didn t arrive on time and they all died because they arrived 10 mins too late? All because sansa was silent?

The lives of their people are much more important that sansa's awkardness about Lf… It was just stupid...

4 minutes ago, divica said:

Just to rant about this. So martin isn t even sure if D&D are going to end the story like he told them?

IS he also done with D&D and just wants the show to end?

Where is that from?

Just now, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Yep, because Mauler is probably one of the best reviewers on Youtuber right now. His 5+ Hour Last Jedi critique introduced his genius/insight to a lot of people including me and I was hyped when he tweeted he was gonna make a video about this episode. That video has been posted for a day and it's almost at half a million views already. Really love seeing him succeed because he deserves it.

He ranted for 5 hours about TLJ?

I think he is my new hero!

2 hours ago, Bear42 said:

Now that I've had some time to digest it I've realized what bothered me so much about the NK death.  He was built up to be some relentless, unstoppable, mythical threat and his great downfall was a cheap trick.  Not the culmination of a herculean effort from our heroes, or the result of a master plan coming together.  Just some sleight of hand.  This would've been a great way to kill the Mountain, or Euron, or a regular walker but not the Night King.  His death should've required something special.  Now I'm left with the impression that there are a dozen characters we've met along the way that could've killed him.

He wouldn't even get within 25 feet of Daario.  Oberyn could kill three of him at once.  That one archer from the Brotherhood would've made a pincushion out of him.  Syrio would have no problem.  Waif would wreck him as long as there is an inkling of light for her to see.  I'd put money on Drogo.  Even odds for Patchface.

Not that it was any kind of great movie, but Willow is a fantasy story that makes good use of a cheap trick in the climax. A dwarf pretends to be a wizard and makes the baby an Evil Sorceress was about to sacrifice disappear. It's just a magic trick he performed (poorly) with a pig back home. But the villain buys it long enough to be defeated. 

Granted, this character was not an omniscient, omnipotent monster with no personality. She was a human person with feelings and such. 

1 minute ago, divica said:

He ranted for 5 hours about TLJ?

I think he is my new hero!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXX1iQGufHujuIvQ38MPKMA

Yep, and it's glorious. Although I enjoyed this GoT one he just made because I was more angry over this episode than the Last Jedi but if ya ever have time to kill I'd recommend watching it.

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

As fellow poster, I'm reminding posters of the OP: this is a RANT thread, not a debate thread.

Now for the episode:

Killing the NK with 3 x 80 min episodes left is anticlimatic. That's like killing Sauron at the start of Return of the King. And yes I know there's a scouring of the Shire, but it doesn't take half of the last book.

Arya killing the NK was a cool shot, and the winking out of the Dothraki was a cool visual... but the logic behind the latter, the logic of N being invulnerable to actual dragonfire but not dragonsteel or frozen fire is questionable. They cut a scene of Sansa and Tyrion killing a wight in the crypts, when a wight falling onto some of the defense structures with pointy dragonglass glued on it can kill a wight like it's nothing. After rewatching and the making off, Sam actually did kill a lot of wights. Apparantly Jon bumps him and he falls, and he still keeps stabbing wights. But the way it was edited no wonder people think he killed nobody. And I do think Jon shouted "gooooooooo! gooo! go!" to Arya instead of Viserion, but they sure made it look as if Jon was a bumbling fool who hasn't accomplished a major kill in an actual battle since Hardhome.

I can enjoy the jingling keys, but I really have to switch of my brain for it. They've done some bad stuff in the past and I think BatB was awful strategy, but beig such underdogs, I actually had hoped this episode would be more than jingling keys.

How on planetos would Jon have seen Arya from the inner courtyard past a dragon about to kill the Night King when she was running at hyperspeed flying through the air invisible to the naked eye and magical Ice Demon-senses?

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

The caption says he's shouting. But it's something like "[g]oooooooooooooooo![g]oooo![g]oo!" Guess they didn't want to "spoil" it with the subtitles that Jon was shouting at anybody else but Viserion. But Arya had to get to the godswood via the courtyard where Jon was stuck with the ice dragon.

I'm willing to fully admit I'm just honeypotting to feel better about Jon's role in the end of the NK.

He was shouting like half a second before the zombie dragon would have burned him to death. Arya confirmed as the Flash.

Just now, darmody said:

How on planetos would Jon have seen Arya from the inner courtyard past a dragon about to kill the Night King when she was running at hyperspeed flying through the air invisible to the naked eye and magical Ice Demon-senses?

This is one of those explanations that I wish were true like another poster on a different thread claims the Dothraki charged of their own volition it wasn't part of the plan. If either of these explanations pan out then the director needs to never work again because he did a horrible job at making this clear to the audience.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Neddy's Girl said:

Remember the good old days when it was the lovely Geoff Lloyd and Annabel Port, with input from Elio and Linda?

Geoff also did cast interviews online and a superb interview with GRRM himself, where he talks about the tankers of money driven up to his home to convince him to do the series :laugh:

I tried to put the entire thing out my memory when Sue Perkins became host. At the start it seemed to be them trying to explain it for thick people. But the last time I saw it it had devolved into a who could pretend to like it the most competition. The best ones were always the celebrities that were struggling to even pretend to have watched it before.

There was definitely a point where it didn't seem so insidious.

1 hour ago, State Trooper said:

Not at all, because as I've already said, it's stated throughout the series that Valyrian steel will kill them, so it makes perfect sense to me.

What series are you talking about? I don't even remember any characters talking about the effect of Valyrian steel on Walkers after Jon kills one. 

11 minutes ago, divica said:

Thank you for sharing that. I assume that 'ending' he told them five or six years ago was presumably the fabled trip the D's took to New Mexico? And the 'fixed final point' sounds more like the last scenes we might get in the show, and by that I speculate that it will be the ending-ending.

But what about the ending? 

It has always been accepted that Martin’s ending for the books will also be the fixed final point for the show, however, it diverges along the way.

Martin added: “I mean, I think … the major points of the ending will be things that I told them, you know, five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added.”

18 minutes ago, divica said:

I thought this was more interesting:

“Now, when you get involved in television and film, um… you’re working with a large team. But it can also be… traumatic. Because sometimes their creative vision and your creative vision don’t match, and you get the famous creative differences thing — that leads to a lot of conflict.”

He also told Rolling Stone: “Of course you have an emotional reaction. I mean, would I prefer they do it exactly the way I did it? Sure.”

Archived