Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

31 minutes ago, divica said:

Just to rant about this. So martin isn t even sure if D&D are going to end the story like he told them?

IS he also done with D&D and just wants the show to end?

Well, Cocteau Cinema announced on twitter today that they're not going to show the finale, using a gif of Septa Unella ringing her shame bell, and Parris, his wife retweeted it. I guess he's done.

35 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Wait.

How can you say Sansa committed treason why concealing the fact that the Vale army is nearby?

She kept reiterating the fact that they needed to wait and that they needed more men. The Valemen were late to the battle and they look like they were also unprepared for a long siege.

Can Sansa trust Littlefinger? No, so it makes sense why she would wait until the last minute to make a decision about accepting his help. And it also makes why she didn't tell Jon about the Valemen army....because that would lead to a very awkward conversation about Littlefinger.

Face it. Rickon was doomed. There was no way Ramsay was going to leave him alive. How does Sansa telling Jon about the possibility (it was no certainty at that point; Littlefinger loves to talk a good game) of having an additional army save Rickon's life when Rickon is already a prisoner of Ramsay Bolton?

You're merely describing reasons why Sansa committed treason. Most of which are bunk. But the idea that they simply had to write Rickon off as dead is the worst. He was not only their blood, but the King in the North. (As far as they knew, with Bran missing.) Or at least Lord of Winterfell.

Jon and Sansa's army was smaller and Rasmsay had Winterfell. Not much room for negotiation. But with the Vale the Stark-Snows could extract terms. Ramsay may be sadistic and enjoy torture, but it's not as though we must assume Rickon is automatically dead simply because he's in Ramsay's custody. He never killed Reek, after all. 

Which is to say nothing about any of Ramsay's subordinates betraying him. The flipside of backstabbing your way to power is that people have fewer reservations about stabbing you. 

Sansa bitches about not having enough soldiers, and Jon asks her point-blank where are they going to get more? She keeps mum because...she doesn't trust Jon to trust Little Finger? Because Jon is going to risk losing because the guy who gave his sister (he thinks) to a baddie (with her consent) is involved? Even though they're technically his cousin's forces? 

She can't risk that, because she'd rather wait until after the battle starts, when Jon can't stop her. Also AFTER HER BROTHER IS KILLED. 

24 minutes ago, darmody said:

How on planetos would Jon have seen Arya from the inner courtyard past a dragon about to kill the Night King when she was running at hyperspeed flying through the air invisible to the naked eye and magical Ice Demon-senses?

In my mind, she's lurking about trying to get from pillar to pillar and past Viserion, and Jon sees her when he's hiding behind that rock. So, when she gets at the imaginary right pillar, he gathers his courage, gets up to distract Viserion, and shouts "Gooooo! Go! Goo!" so she can make a run for it. And secs later she flies like the wind past the weewees.

Give me that honeypot illusion ;)

27 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

This is one of those explanations that I wish were true like another poster on a different thread claims the Dothraki charged of their own volition it wasn't part of the plan. If either of these explanations pan out then the director needs to never work again because he did a horrible job at making this clear to the audience.

Well, the Dothraki waited for the signal to attack. It's not as if they charge immediately as soon Mel lits their aracks. They wait in line, Jorah pulls his sword, Mel takes a long ass time to go inside, speak to Davos and stare at Arya, before they charge.

In the latter case I honeypot it by thinking the director had to cover it up, so the audience wouldn't realize the first time watch what the hell was happening.

Just now, sweetsunray said:

Well, Cocteau Cinema announced on twitter today that they're not going to show the finale, using a gif of Septa Unella ringing her shame bell, and Parris, his wife retweeted it. I guess he's done.

LOOOOL

For real? 

5 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Well, the Dothraki waited for the signal to attack. It's not as if they charge immediately as soon Mel lits their aracks. They wait in line, Jorah pulls his sword, Mel takes a long ass time to go inside, speak to Davos and stare at Arya, before they charge.

In the latter case I honeypot it by thinking the director had to cover it up, so the audience wouldn't realize the first time watch what the hell was happening.

I just don't think any of those explanations designed to cover up the dreadful writing holds water. If the Dothraki did attack of their own accord then Jorah certainly wouldn't have charged alongside them. If Jon really did distract the dragon for Arya all it would've taken was a simple hand gesture to explain that to the audience or a clear audible Go! but it wasn't there. I think show apologists are reaching with this stuff.

3 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

I just don't think any of those explanations designed to cover up the dreadful writing holds water. If the Dothraki did attack of their own accord then Jorah certainly wouldn't have charged alongside them. If Jon really did distract the dragon for Arya all it would've taken was a simple hand gesture to explain that to the audience or a clear audible Go! but it wasn't there. I think show apologists are reaching with this stuff.

I'm not a show apologist. I'm a ranter. I clearly state I'm honeypotting jon's reasons for shouting, and I'm not defending the show or the writers about it. No more, no less.

And I agree that the Dothraki only charged after Jorah gave the signal to charge. And the charge was stupid.

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Will the media care about this? I think he is being very clear about what he tought about the episode with that tweet...

Don't think the media picked up on this yet. Has only 2 comments, 1 retweet (by Parris) and 8 likes.

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Will the media care about this? I think he is being very clear about what he tought about the episode with that tweet...

I doubt it, because it can always be passed off as something else, it's a little too passive/aggressive.  But then his signals on the show have been mixed for a long time, I think it was the 60 minutes interview where he says GOT is more faithful than 97% of adaptations, he expects it to be the same ending, but then goes on to imply he hasn't actually had significant contact on the show or ending for  years....  So, unless Martin makes something that is much more veiled than that tweet, or retweet, I wouldnt expect it gets much traction.  It's odd though for sure. 

41 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I thought this was more interesting:

“Now, when you get involved in television and film, um… you’re working with a large team. But it can also be… traumatic. Because sometimes their creative vision and your creative vision don’t match, and you get the famous creative differences thing — that leads to a lot of conflict.”

He also told Rolling Stone: “Of course you have an emotional reaction. I mean, would I prefer they do it exactly the way I did it? Sure.”

Yeah, thought this was the most interesting too. That interview was done/published after epi 3 aired, right? Same day that Coctaeu Cinema announced "no finale at our place".

If that pilot of "the age of heroes as prequel to the Long Night" is cancelled by HBO, because of epi 3, my guess is that we will hear more from George in that tone.

42 minutes ago, darmody said:

What series are you talking about? I don't even remember any characters talking about the effect of Valyrian steel on Walkers after Jon kills one. 

I was actually talking about it being mentioned earlier than that, but to be honest with you I don't remember any specific scenes, so I might have got it wrong. Maybe I read about it somewhere or someone told me about it and I just took it for granted that everyone knew, as in the viewers, which was my initial point, people being surprised when it happened.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

I doubt it, because it can always be passed off as something else, it's a little too passive/aggressive.  But then his signals on the show have been mixed for a long time, I think it was the 60 minutes interview where he says GOT is more faithful than 97% of adaptations, he expects it to be the same ending, but then goes on to imply he hasn't actually had significant contact on the show or ending for  years....  So, unless Martin makes something that is much more veiled than that tweet, or retweet, I wouldnt expect it gets much traction.  It's odd though for sure. 

If we look at shows like "the chronicles of shanara" or "legend of the seeker" he isn t exactly wrong. The earlier seasons were very faithfull.

I don t think he can say what he thinks about GOT until it ends. It would be weird if he could criticize it… But the tweet looks really weird given the latest episode… Maybe when the show ends he will make some honest coments about what he thinks of this season.

Yeah, thought this was the most interesting too. That interview was done/published after epi 3 aired, right? Same day that Coctaeu Cinema announced "no finale at our place".

If that pilot of "the age of heroes as prequel to the Long Night" is cancelled by HBO, because of epi 3, my guess is that we will hear more from George in that tone.

Given that he hasn t written his story of the first long night and that D&D just decided what are the limitations of the NK and his army in this ep I don t think grrm will be involved in that project.

If the final episodes are as bad as this one I just can t imagine grrm don t comenting. We are talking about his life's work. He has 2 books to finish! He can t let people think they are shit just because D&D can t write a story!

ps And I think there have been enough interviews to make us think that the finale will be at least weird...

20 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Well, the pitch for “The Long Night” is:

“Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros's history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend...it's not the story we think we know."

At first I thought this had to do w/ the creation of the WW as per David & Dan. Now after watching ep 3 I think it may have something to do w/ that as well. 

And as much as I’d love to see a good adaptation of anything ASoIaF-related, and particularly something that could put some of this fanfic in the rubbish once and for all, I’m not sure HBO will be too keen on the idea. Especially if GoT ends on a low note, something that is a real possibility at the mo.

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, the pitch for “The Long Night” is:

“Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros's history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend...it's not the story we think we know."

At first I thought this had to do w/ the creation of the WW as per David & Dan. Now after watching ep 3 I think it may have something to do w/ that as well. 

And as much as I’d love to see a good adaptation of anything ASoIaF-related, and particularly something that could put some of this fanfic in the rubbish once and for all, I’m not sure HBO will be too keen on the idea. Especially if GoT ends on a low note, something that is a real possibility at the mo.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Ignoring everything else. Would be able to see a series about the first long night knowing that all people have to do to stop it is to stab the NK? Like do you want to see them build a big undeafeatable terrifying guy that can be killed with a stab from a relatively rare weapon? And this is if it needed to be valyrian steel and dragonglass wouldn t be enough...

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Ignoring everything else. Would be able to see a series about the first long night knowing that all people have to do to stop it is to stab the NK? Like do you want to see them build a big undeafeatable terrifying guy that can be killed with a stab from a relatively rare weapon? And this is if it needed to be valyrian steel and dragonglass wouldn t be enough...

But it wouldn’t be anything that stupid like that... that’s the point. Read the pitch again: “the true origin of the WWs”, “it’s not the story we think we know”. 

The problem is more to do w/ GoT ending really badly. 

Archived