Jump to content
Lady Fevre Dream

Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I thought this was more interesting:

“Now, when you get involved in television and film, um… you’re working with a large team. But it can also be… traumatic. Because sometimes their creative vision and your creative vision don’t match, and you get the famous creative differences thing — that leads to a lot of conflict.”

He also told Rolling Stone: “Of course you have an emotional reaction. I mean, would I prefer they do it exactly the way I did it? Sure.”

How can GRRM say this? In an article that leads with a photo of him at the NYC Radio City premiere of the first episode of season 8?  He was there in the theater, watching, as many a NY writer about these matters, who were also present, saw.

Quote

Asked if he had seen any of Season 8 he replied: “No, I haven’t. I haven’t … I mean I know some of what’s going on there, but I haven’t actually seen any footage. So I’ll be seeing that for the first time with everybody else. I haven’t read the scripts, although I’ve had meetings with (showrunners) David (Benioff) and Dan (Weiss) where we’ve discussed stuff.”

Looks like now he's backpeddling as much as the showrunners.

 

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How can GRRM say this? In an article that leads with a photo of him at the NYC Radio City premiere of the first episode of season 8?  He was there in the theater, watching, as many a NY writer about these matters, who were also present, saw.

Looks like now he's backpeddling as much as the showrunners.

 

Just because he hadn't seen any footage doesn't mean he's unaware of what's going to happen. Martin's indicated that he still had meetings/conversations with D&D and HBO, so at the very least they had talked about season 8's story. He may have even read some of the scripts.

And I bet he gave that interview before episode 1 had premiered.

You also have to consider that Martin is not unbiased when it comes to the show. Yes, he may be upset about certain changes they've made, but the show is still wildly successful and popular. He's also made ridiculous sums of money from GoT. To think that he feels nothing but negativity toward the show is misguided, I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amaretto said:

Can Arya shapeshift into a bird if she takes their face? Maybe that's what Bran was doing- leading a raven to Arya.

Bran was sending his ravens upwards to locate the NK. He stopped warging way before Arya appeared.

Just like most things in this episode and later seasons, we're supposed to believe the unbelievable happened off-screen and be done with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zorral said:

How can GRRM say this? In an article that leads with a photo of him at the NYC Radio City premiere of the first episode of season 8?  He was there in the theater, watching, as many a NY writer about these matters, who were also present, saw.

Looks like now he's backpeddling as much as the showrunners.

 

It's quotes from different interviews. The one where he says he hasn't watched any of s8 was given before the premiere, to Rolling Stone iirc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has become appallingly obvious that having the focal point of one "night king" as an adversary was always a terrible mistake, completely at odds with what the elemental threat from the land of always winter was supposed to be about. It's just another "king" looking to take control of Westeros, just in a different way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

It has become appallingly obvious that having the focal point of one "night king" as an adversary was always a terrible mistake, completely at odds with what the elemental threat from the land of always winter was supposed to be about. It's just another "king" looking to take control of Westeros, just in a different way.

I agree, the reason that Jon and the NK was a cliche is that the show created the cliche super villain ima take over the planet night king.  If they had remained a more murky threat of white walkers then at least the scooby gang would  have had to work together, probably use magic to beat them, a much more difficult task to put on screen, but immeasurably better than NK v. Jon, oh hey ,TWIST it's Arya from the sky with a dagger ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

It has become appallingly obvious that having the focal point of one "night king" as an adversary was always a terrible mistake, completely at odds with what the elemental threat from the land of always winter was supposed to be about. It's just another "king" looking to take control of Westeros, just in a different way.

Don't get distracted by the Night King character. He is but a plot device to explore and defeat the WWs. The intention was never for him to become just another monarch struggling for his reasons but actually to represent the Great Other.

GRRM may introduce one such character at one point or another, but GRRM is a much better writer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, grrm just posted a big post about stuff and movies and tv.

He basically praises the avengers movie and how they were able to create good moments for all characters. Then that he likes some shows on HBO. Then that 3 spin offs are still going forward and "the long night" is going to be filmed later this year or something like that.

Is this him being passive agressive again? Not mentioning GOT, praising other HBO shows and praising the avenger that did what GOT failed to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, darksellsword said:

This is one of those explanations that I wish were true like another poster on a different thread claims the Dothraki charged of their own volition it wasn't part of the plan. If either of these explanations pan out then the director needs to never work again because he did a horrible job at making this clear to the audience.

I wondered, too, if it was an unplanned movement by the cavalry; wasn't clear at all in the show.

Still, Unsullied and Dothrakis are the most battle-experienced and have the best commanders around. There's no fucking chance the Dothrakis would ever change on their own in the cold and in the night, without even knowing where the enemy was, risking to be stuck in the woods and ambushed by the dead. Had the Dothrakis been that braindead, they would never have conquered that many lands in Essos; they would've all been slaughtered at Sarnor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

It has become appallingly obvious that having the focal point of one "night king" as an adversary was always a terrible mistake, completely at odds with what the elemental threat from the land of always winter was supposed to be about. It's just another "king" looking to take control of Westeros, just in a different way.

They could go with a more elemental thing, but apparently the show is not interested in presenting the dreaded Winter that has finally come. Instead, they opted for a two-dimensional, nearly omnipotent but easily killed (if you're superhuman) villain. Who's only characterized by his snarky attitude toward Jon and his unexplained obsession with Bran. 

Look, "just another king" in the form of an Ice Demon could be good. It's not like early Game of Thrones, but the idea of the show gradually turning from a political action drama into more and more of a wild fantasy is fine with me. It would have been better, however, if it went one of two ways. Either make the Night King an interesting character or do the elemental thing you mention where everyone has to weather a climactic disaster that brings death back from the grave. That would be good too.

This third option, where magical forces we don't know much about are clashing through two characters--Bran and Ice Dude--who don't add up to a single interesting person, is wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, darmody said:

They could go with a more elemental thing, but apparently the show is not interested in presenting the dreaded Winter that has finally come. Instead, they opted for a two-dimensional, nearly omnipotent but easily killed (if you're superhuman) villain. Who's only characterized by his snarky attitude toward Jon and his unexplained obsession with Bran. 

Look, "just another king" in the form of an Ice Demon could be good. It's not like early Game of Thrones, but the idea of the show gradually turning from a political action drama into more and more of a wild fantasy is fine with me. It would have been better, however, if it went one of two ways. Either make the Night King an interesting character or do the elemental thing you mention where everyone has to weather a climactic disaster that brings death back from the grave. That would be good too.

The problem is that there is no way that one singular main adversary could be ultimately defeated in a way that is satisfying to the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrrgh so friggin upset with this episode! There were so many more exciting fan theories out there than D&D's version of it. So the mythical feared demigod of death whose been excisting for thousands of years and in the stories of Westeros subconscious was just swept away like that. Thats it? And now they're fighting a half drunk evil b#### ? Arrghh pleaaaase.

No White Walker fights? I kind of half fantasised that nobody can kill the Night King, only a dead person - which is Jon - the walking and living Ghost basically. But nope, it was the flying fairy Arya. It all could have been soooo much more interesting - giving so much more explanation to the Night King and all the stories, the prophesies etc. Shiiiiit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The problem is that there is no way that one singular main adversary could be ultimately defeated in a way that is satisfying to the story.

Not true. They just had to make him so hard to beat that several characters had to be involved in actions that slowly made him weaker or that allowed his defeat.

As someone has said in this site somewhere it would have been awsome if a group of characters appeared in the goodswood and fought the NK and several of his ww in a group batle that led to several deaths and ended in the death of the NK...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, divica said:

Not true. They just had to make him so hard to beat that several characters had to be involved in actions that slowly made him weaker or that allowed his defeat.

As someone has said in this site somewhere it would have been awsome if a group of characters appeared in the goodswood and fought the NK and several of his ww in a group batle that led to several deaths and ended in the death of the NK...

I don't personally see these as being satisfying to the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I don't personally see these as being satisfying to the story.

At least it would be satisfying. Ending the NK in 1 ep would never be satisfying. Ending him with mundane things like stabing with a relative rare weapon like valyrian steel would never be satisfying...

But I could live with several characters coming together and having their moment to end the biggest threat to westeros and some dying in the action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They stole the stupid ending from a stupid movie. In the last Predator, the main female character, who is a scientist, whom, for some unexplained can fight like special forces, is last seen about 25 miles away from the action. Then, 10 seconds later, she teleports outta nowhere onto the back of the predator, no explanation given, of course. They can't even write a crap scene without stealing it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 10:34 PM, RhaenysBee said:

It is so finished. Half the cast wants Brienne. Jaime has this weird attraction, Tormund is obsessed with the big woman, Bronn would fuck her. Motherhood never had anything to do with Brienne’s character. She reunited the stark daughters, she was knighted, she was reunited with Jaime. Brienne is so done. What else could possible happen to her? Do we want her to have a baby with jaime who they can name Pod? (Only Pod because Melisandre is already reserved for baby Targaryen. You know if the red woman won the Great War for them, that’s kinda the least). 

It's so NOT finished. Brienne has always been horribly mocked since childhood because of her looks. She loved dancing and singing and enjoyed male attention until it turned out it was only a joke. She was engaged 3 times, and one of those morons actually spit at her feet when he saw her. Her arc is about finding true love and being appreciated for who she really is - a woman who happens be a warrior, or maybe a warrior who happens to be a woman - not matter how she looks! She and Jaime are a version of the Beauty and the Beast (normal & reversed). They'll get a happy ending (and children.)

I don't care about Torment or Bronn - that's on Dumb & Dumber screwing Brienne's arc - just like they do with all characters.

I wouldn't mind Hyle Hunt in the show, because it's clear he's attracted to her lands and titles, not her. Oh, and he was in on the joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please can someone just shot GOT and end this show?

Aparently ep 4 has leaked and there are vídeos of euron fucking shooting rhaegal with the weapons cersei had last season...

Seriously, now dragons are easy to kill! WHY!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, divica said:

Please can someone just shot GOT and end this show?

Aparently ep 4 has leaked and there are vídeos of euron fucking shooting rhaegal with the weapons cersei had last season...

Seriously, now dragons are easy to kill! WHY!?

So, I guess at the end of the day, Dany is as much of a loser as Jon, gets her own people killed, gets her dragons killed, is generally a useless asshole who recites her titles and tells you to bend the knee.

Please, let Arya Stark end as queen she's the only one who isn't an absolute fuck up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×