Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

Also how the fuck did she get to Winterfell past an entire undead army? She just rides up casually out of nowhere.

Yes.

Not to mention that she also shows up with absolutely nothing.

And why is Davos still so hellbent on killing her. While Melisandre made multiple big mistakes (Davos made at least one), the fall of House Baratheon is Stannis' fault. No one else's.

Now that the Dothraki are conveniently wiped out, no one is going to complain that Dany’s army is a horde of savages. 

So the NK came with all his lieutenants to confront Bran. He was winning the battle, why didn’t he just leave it to one of his lieutenants to kill Bran and hop back on his dragon and head south? Or better yet, why didn’t he just head south to begin with and let a few of his minions (how many did he have?) take care of WF and its occupants? Or did they say somewhere that only the NK can kill Bran? 

My biggest gripe is that they made Bran completely useless, he’s just a library, a repository of information. I’m almost certain that Bran is central to the WW’s defeat in the books, his wolf is named Summer for a reason. Here he’s just bait.

Benioff in Inside the Episode said that they didn’t want Jon to kill the NK because that would be so predictable. Then why not use Bran? They made him out to be this long time arch nemesis of the NK and the world’s memory bank, so why didn’t he figure out how the WWs were defeated the last time they came about? All he knows is that dragon fire wasn’t used in the past. Ugh

I love Arya but her killing the NK was a complete ass pull, just for shock and to do something that no one would expect. They didn’t lay the groundwork or anything, just Melly coming and giving a pep talk and Beric fulfilling his purpose. So, are they showing that Mel finally got it right? Did she see Arya killing the NK in her fires? Questions galore... enough to fill an entire book after seeing this.

I guess in D&D’s last meeting with GRRM, he didn’t give them much, just told them as to who sits the IT. Or else he did tell them, but the fools thought they could tell a better story. Now I have a feeling Sansa will be killing Cersei. Need to have the Stark ladies be badasses. 

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Yes.

Not to mention that she also shows up with absolutely nothing.

And why is Davos still so hellbent on killing her. While Melisandre made multiple big mistakes (Davos made at least one), the fall of House Baratheon is Stannis' D&D’s fault. No one else's.

FTFY.

2 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Kind of leads one to ask if the NK was only after Bran? would he have been happy to stop at Winterfell after he had got Bran? Is Bran secretly a villain having set all these people up to protect him, and him alone, if the NK was after Bran and only Bran. It may have saved thousands of lives if they had of just dropped bran off up beyond the wall to appease the NK! the thing is, and I actually like Bran, that the way this show has been presented to us then sacrificing Bran makes a lot if sense, but only because we have no idea what the NKs true motivation is and though I am being a little Ironic in suggesting to just give Bran up, but a hell of a lot of people died unnecessarily if the NK just wanted Bran, which is how it was made to look by the NKs actions in this episode. In short, it was bad storytelling, presented impressively with a really feel good climax, that leaves one extremely unfulfilled when all the plot holes and unanswered questions springs to mind. This show, man, it really could have been something spectacular, it started that way, it had the potential, and yet this is what it evolved into . such a damn shame

I said this exact thing to my wife last week. So Dany is at odds with Sansa, and her brother tells Jon that she's his aunt. Dany also has most of the military might there, as the Dothraki, the Unsullied, and the dragons follow her commands. So no one got the idea to save close to 100k lives and give up the weird kid in the wheelchair? 

I get that the NK has a beef with the 3-Eyed Raven, but if we don't get a better explanation, it rings very, very hollow. If GRRM can't/has no intention of finishing the books, I hope that he respects his readers enough to give us some sort of summary of what was really supposed to happen, because I can't believe this is anything near what he intended. I get that it's a TV show, and you can't have the level of detail you have on the written page, but c'mon!

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The New York Times is trash and has been for a couple of years now.

They are lazy excuses for journalists.

Like I have never seen a show make as many mistakes as Game of Thrones has and still receive blind praise.

While this doesn't excuse anything, it is like nothing on TV today. Epic battles, etc. Doesn't seem to matter that once we got past the original source material, it became your standard Hollywood fare. 

8 hours ago, athmystikal said:

Aren't the wights supposed to be extremely slow? The ones in this Ep were like Usain Bolt clones. Also since when do wights can be killed by stabbing them? AFAIK they can only be killed by fire.

D&D changed that at Hardhome IIRC. It certainly was already added as the weaknesses of wights during the wight-hunt, and Jon showed it could be done that way during the expo in the dragonpit. So, it's show-canon for a while now, but yeah, it's definitely an issue.

4 minutes ago, Ser Sinister said:

While this doesn't excuse anything, it is like nothing on TV today. Epic battles, etc. Doesn't seem to matter that once we got past the original source material, it became your standard Hollywood fare. 

That's the thing though.

We never really got past the original source material. They chose not to adapt a bunch of it.

Just now, sweetsunray said:

D&D changed that at Hardhome IIRC. It certainly was already added as the weaknesses of wights during the wight-hunt, and Jon showed it could be done that way during the expo in the dragonpit. So, it's show-canon for a while now, but yeah, it's definitely an issue.

No, Melisandre says specifically in the books that the wights can be killed with steel.

Melisandre smiled. "Necromancy animates these wights, yet they are still only dead flesh. Steel and fire will serve for them. The ones you call the Others are something more."

"Demons made of snow and ice and cold," said Stannis Baratheon. "The ancient enemy. The only enemy that matters."

So first, I have to admit I have been highly critical of the show since season 6. I thought battle of the bastards was entertaining and parts of the season was entertaining but I realized the story aspect just won't be there. Then in season 7, realism won't be there. I have adjusted, that's fine.

The first two episodes were a lot of building for this fight that has been hyped since the very first scene in the very first episode. So my wife, myself and the group we watch the episodes with went into this one with high hopes. There were so many possibilities to do some cool stuff this episode. And not going to lie, with Mel (randomly) coming in and lighting swords on fire. Sweet, OK, I feel good about this. With the panning view of the Dothraki charging and the lights going out, cool awesome.

Then after that, everything just got awful. You couldn't see anything, they spent 20ish minutes on a retreat, which was absurd. We could all see what was going to happen before D&D put it on screen. Death of Ed, we all got right. Lyanna stabbing the giant, we all guessed. The story is beyond cliche it's annoying. Deus ex whatever happened non stop in the battle (where did Jorrah come to save Dany after Drogon randomly landed and stayed down, who knows!). The dragon fighting wasn't that impressive to me but whatever.

They show Arya killing 30ish zombies and then in the library she starts panicking about 3 or 4 of them in that room. OK, weird but whatever.

Then finally the NK shows up, Jon goes in for the kill and the NK can hear him sneaking close to him from 100 yards away. Does an awesome raise the dead. OK, cool, starting to get back some hope that awesomeness is going to happen.

Get a decent moment with Sansa and Tyrion. Cool. That was nice to see.

Then when D&D start to show only the main characters are left (guess their entire army got wiped off the map, wonder how you beat Cersei then), since it looks like literally every member of the army died and they are all about to die and now it becomes a John Woo movie with the slow motion, we all said, well, what's the next Deus Ex Machina.

Ah, here she comes. Arya. Somehow sneaking past that army of white walkers, the undead and even though the NK had super hearing before but because of plot, I guess he can't here the Princess that was promised.

Bran at least was the one faithful character this episode, just sat there staring. All he is good for.

I felt just like Melisandre by the end of the episode, I wanted to go outside, and just lay down on the ground to fade away (which, by the way, what was that....)

7 hours ago, Snormund said:

I’m very aware of his pyrophobia. I thought he had largely gotten past that though? I didn’t expect it to crop up again at least.

In S7 the Hound froze up when the snow bear was lit and mauling Thoros.

43 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

And why is Davos still so hellbent on killing her. While Melisandre made multiple big mistakes (Davos made at least one), the fall of House Baratheon is Stannis' fault. No one else's.

I assumed it was mostly because of Shireen...totally believable that he'd still want her dead, IMO.

Anyone find it amusing that in all 8 seasons of the show, nobody had as good a duel with an Other as Ser Waymar Royce did in the prologue of the AGOT book? And that scene had actual emotion behind it. A young knight, out of his depth, braving a not-seen-in-countless-years supernatural creatures and dying bravely and tragically. 

Can't help but despise the dip wads that decided that the last 13 minutes per every episode must consist of two jackasses being smug about and totally ruining the magic of what I just watched. 

Of course D&D want to get more recognisable and be totally smug about their work in prime time tv but the people who agreed to it really should have been like "hm, maybe instead we make the show 13 minutes longer per episode, that might not piss people off as much" but rather give in to this horn-tooting fest.

HBO be like "the episodes will be longer*

*because we added 13 minutes documentary of two men mentally masturbating to the end of every episode"

Sorry if I'm being venomous but this is really annoying me.

I do have to rave about one thing. I remember thinking a few years back that I can't believe they are shortening seasons 7 and 8. How can they possibly finish season 8 in 6 episodes (even if they are 80 minutes long ... sometimes)?!?!

After last night, I am so excited for this train wreck to be over. Let's finish off these last three episodes with Cersei (who realistically won't be the final villain in the books, but that's a debate for another time) is now the real big bad guy. They should have just finished this season in 4 episodes, screw it.

9 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Can't help but despise the dip wads that decided that the last 13 minutes per every episode must consist of two jackasses being smug about and totally ruining the magic of what I just watched. 

Of course D&D want to get more recognisable and be totally smug about their work in prime time tv but the people who agreed to it really should have been like "hm, maybe instead we make the show 13 minutes longer per episode, that might not piss people off as much" but rather give in to this horn-tooting fest.

HBO be like "the episodes will be longer*

*because we added 13 minutes documentary of two men mentally masturbating to the end of every episode"

Sorry if I'm being venomous but this is really annoying me.

On Monday nights in the UK there's an after show featuring celebrity guests, where they sit around and try to convince themselves and the viewer that what they just watched was the most mesmerising thing ever. It's the most hilariously cringey thing on TV, they would not say a single negative thing about it. Even after the Dorne episodes.

I just feel that if your show needs one after show where the "writers" justify their bad decisions with justifications that are rarely logical and another after show where you have to pay celebrities to talk up your show like it's the bestest thing ever then your show ain't that good.

I've noticed similar with The Walking Dead. It seems to actually work on some people too, which is worrying. Surely that time would be better served making their amazing shows longer.

Archived