What is stopping Arya from killing Cersei and Euron?

You can write a character that is invincible and still make a very good story. Superman from DC comics and Frank Underwood from House of Cards are essentially invincible in their areas of expertise and they both have very good comicbooks or episodes. But it is very difficult to do that and it requires a very intelligent script to work around their "power". D&D are simply not good with that kind of stuff. So I believe next episodes will be either dull and anticlimatic, with everything working in a linear path, with no surprises along the way... or going completely nonsensical, with new things coming from nowhere and arbitrarily changing the level of field... 

27 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Nothing in the show suggests that she could easily kill anyone in the world.  The Freys are certified idiots and had no reason to suspect a smallish young woman would come to kill them.

The NK also didn't suspect her--he thought Jon was the threat. And for all that what she did was a desperate and dangerous gamble that worked.

I think she can. Remember how fast Jaqen killed Amory Lorch.

26 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Nothing in the show suggests that she could easily kill anyone in the world.  The Freys are certified idiots and had no reason to suspect a smallish young woman would come to kill them.

The NK also didn't suspect her--he thought Jon was the threat. And for all that what she did was a desperate and dangerous gamble that worked.

Cersei Lannister certainly isn't expecting Arya Stark to show up in an attempt to assassinate her. Along with the fact that we KNOW Arya can act as a faceless man, and is incredibly sneaky, based on the accomplishments she has had in previous episodes, I don't see HOW she would fail at getting Cersei, short of Clegane somehow sniffing her out. 

15 minutes ago, Saturno said:

You can write a character that is invincible and still make a very good story. Superman from DC comics and Frank Underwood from House of Cards are essentially invincible in their areas of expertise and they both have very good comicbooks or episodes. But it is very difficult to do that and it requires a very intelligent script to work around their "power". D&D are simply not good with that kind of stuff. So I believe next episodes will be either dull and anticlimatic, with everything working in a linear path, with no surprises along the way... or going completely nonsensical, with new things coming from nowhere and arbitrarily changing the level of field... 

Thats pretty fair tbh haha.....sad, but fair. 

20 minutes ago, Wik said:

Cersei Lannister certainly isn't expecting Arya Stark to show up in an attempt to assassinate her. Along with the fact that we KNOW Arya can act as a faceless man, and is incredibly sneaky, based on the accomplishments she has had in previous episodes, I don't see HOW she would fail at getting Cersei, short of Clegane somehow sniffing her out. 

Cersei is in full lock-down mode. She's in the Red Keep with the Mountain guarding her at all times.  It wouldn't be nearly as easy to get to her as to the Freys. And of course it must be noted that her mission to kill the Freys was extremely dangerous. If anything went wrong she was dead.

In any case, Arya could attempt to assassinate Cersei, and she could potentially succeed. If she didn't she would die horribly. And I think that's the essential thing here. I don't think she would go on a mission to assassinate Cersei, at least not unless it was a desperate situation like in episode 3.

Arya is no longer the same as the person who killed the Freys. After doing that, she made a very deliberate decision to go home to her family instead of killing Cersei. She's come in contact with multiple people on her kill list and not only decided not to kill them but, in the case of Beric, mourned his death. She has reconnected with her family and even had a (sort of) romantic dalliance. She is no longer a person whose only goal is vengeance. 

11 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Cersei is in full lock-down mode. She's in the Red Keep with the Mountain guarding her at all times.  It wouldn't be nearly as easy to get to her as to the Freys. And of course it must be noted that her mission to kill the Freys was extremely dangerous. If anything went wrong she was dead.

In any case, Arya could attempt to assassinate Cersei, and she could potentially succeed. If she didn't she would die horribly. And I think that's the essential thing here. I don't think she would go on a mission to assassinate Cersei, at least not unless it was a desperate situation like in episode 3.

Arya is no longer the same as the person who killed the Freys. After doing that, she made a very deliberate decision to go home to her family instead of killing Cersei. She's come in contact with multiple people on her kill list and not only decided not to kill them but, in the case of Beric, mourned his death. She has reconnected with her family and even had a (sort of) romantic dalliance. She is no longer a person whose only goal is vengeance. 

So you think Wolverine is affraid of taking this mission? The very person that has lead to her father's death.

She probably don't know about the mountain guarding the queen but he is also on the death note.

She laughed about fighting the ww.

2 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

So you think Wolverine is affraid of taking this mission? The very person that has lead to her father's death.

She probably don't know about the mountain guarding the queen but he is also on the death note.

She laughed about fighting the ww.

I don't think you understood a word I wrote. She isn't afraid of much of anything. But she now has other goals in her life than potentially suicidal assassination missions.

3 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I don't think you understood a word I wrote. She isn't afraid of much of anything. But she now has other goals in her life than potentially suicidal assassination missions.

So now she doesn't want to use her skills.

She will retire and let others fight the war. Remember that is cersei we are talking about.

Your explanation is just too convenient. Now that she singlehandely erases the Frey and defeat the night king she is not in the mood anymore....

5 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

So now she doesn't want to use her skills.

She will retire and let others fight the war. Remember that is cersei we are talking about.

Your explanation is just too convenient. Now that she singlehandely erases the Frey and defeat the night king she is not in the mood anymore....

There's a wide space between retiring and suicidal assassination missions.

This is not a convenient explanation. It is character development. In this case, when Arya killed the Freys she was an emotionless killing machine. She made a choice to move away from that which couldn't be plainer--she literally took a road away from killing Cersei and toward home. In the last episode, she had three people from her kill list in one room and what did she do? Cried because one of them was dying. This isn't a minor point, it's her character.

15 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

There's a wide space between retiring and suicidal assassination missions.

This is not a convenient explanation. It is character development. In this case, when Arya killed the Freys she was an emotionless killing machine. She made a choice to move away from that which couldn't be plainer--she literally took a road away from killing Cersei and toward home. In the last episode, she had three people from her kill list in one room and what did she do? Cried because one of them was dying. This isn't a minor point, it's her character.

She still have the skills, she still wants to kill Cersei, who wants to wipe out everyone she likes, unlike the others on her list who were fighting beside her and she is not affraid as we estabilished.

You could argue that some of her brothers will try to stop her but i really doubt that is consistent with her chracter once the battles to come are also dangerous as well.

8 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

She still have the skills, she still wants to kill Cersei, who wants to wipe out everyone she likes, unlike the others on her list who were fighting beside her and she is not affraid as we estabilished.

You could argue that some of her brothers will try to stop her but i really doubt that is consistent with her chracter once the battles to come are also dangerous as well.

You talk about her "skills" as if this is a comic book and she has enhanced healing or something. Her "skills" are murder. Most people with normal psyches try to limit their exercise of this skill.

But maybe we should come at this from a different angle--do you think there was any point at all to her deciding not to kill Cersei, or crying when Beric died.

1 hour ago, Forlong the Fat said:

This "full lockdown mode" only is a viable defense against Arya if it is very, very unrealistic , like having Cersei stand in a room with the Mountain 24/7. If she does ANYTHING more than literally stand still, like having someone to bring her food, or having her servants help her to wash and change clothes is enough a breach, BY FAR, for Arya to kill her.

And that is exactly how Walder Frey died. Arya chose (bizarrely) to kill and impersonate his innocent wife, but she could easily do the same by impersonating a guard or one of the other Frey's.

In fact I believe Arya will impersonate Qyburn (there are not many names in King's Landing anymore... it is either Euron, Mountain or Qyburn) until the end of the series, but she will be comically underused and will bizarrely underperform, like despite using Qyburn's face she won't go to Cersei and will simply unlock some door or gate or steal something, anything silly like that.

Well the story has hinted has hinted that it will be either Jaime or Tyrion that finishes off Cersei...which probably means they will try and be "shocking" and have her killed by Missandei, Septa Unella or something.

As for Arya Sue, now that Daenerys desperately needs new allies, she might now conclude that leaving her Uncle to rot in the Frey dungeons wasn't such a good idea after all.

34 minutes ago, Wik said:

Sorry, what is a Mary Sue?

Unrealistic character with no real flaws and who has everything offered to them in a silver platter. Including having any of their plans somehow go flawlessly even if it has no coherency whatsoever.

I.E killing some people and having enough time to chop them up into pies without being caught and with nobody's help.

Or pretending to be Walder Frey for some weeks without nobody even noticing (despite having no knowledge on how to run a castle) until all the Freys reunited together to kill them all with poison (even though at least one of them would likely miss the event for a reason or another).

Or beating Brienne (one of the most skilled sword fighters) in a sword duel despite not actually having been trained in swordfighting since Season 1.

Or somehow sneaking past into a bunch of immortal and deadly ice warriors out of nowhere only to kill their leader in a single stab, somehow turning 8 years of build up into nothing.

Naturally all of this is just a result from bad writing. I doubt the books will include any of this non-sense.

Archived