What is stopping Arya from killing Cersei and Euron?

On 4/29/2019 at 8:02 AM, Kajjo said:

Arya killed the first White Walker by sticking a Valyrian steel dagger into him. We know that dragon glass and Valyrian steel works and we know how White Walkers shatter from Sam killing one and Jon Snow killing one in Hardhome and one in the wights excursion. So this is all consistent and fine with me.

Arya is not shown to have super-powers. She is just a skilled assassin and good fighter. She gets almost killed from the Nightking and does her special "change the hand" move with the dagger we have been show when sparring with Brienne. This is believable and makes a lot of sense.

Arya is not a warrior fighting against the Golden Company the whole King's Guard and the Mountain at once. of course, we might see a duel against the Mountain or an assassination against Cersei. I really hop for it. But even that would require Arya so sneek in somehow.

The NK's death scene was fine and well done. Too much moaning and too little enjoying the show here.

Almost killed invites the question of why she wasn't killed. The Night King had her by the throat. He didn't kill her why? And he couldn't react fast enough to the knife trick why? Same reason the zombie giant held Lady Bear up to its face, I guess. Which is to say no reason.

Anyway, let's say she was in mortal danger there. She needed super-powers to get past thousands of zombies and a bunch of White Walkers. Superspeed and levitation at least. 

Have you seen behind-the-scenes footage of her mid-air stunt? There's a platform and a wire, and I don't know how during the shoot no one asked, "Wait, how is she doing this? Literally, how can she jump that high? Are we CG-ing moon-shoes in later?"

On 4/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, Vuron said:

Well, I thought that the sacrifice from Varys might be dying so that Arya could take his face and then know everything about all the hidden tunnels, rooms, and secrets of KL.

Now that she's kill the NK, I can't see her killing both big bads.

Faces retain memories? What?

Nevermind. They have Bran. He can learn everything Varys knows in an afternoon. 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, Kajjo said:

Why should it? What is his hand supposed to do? This is too religious a thinking. 

She killed him after all. He's gone. I would guess Bran's marking does not matter anymore, too.

Have you ever touched a freezing cold thing? Or been choked?

On 4/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, YouKnowNothingJonSnow said:

Her ability to sneak up on anyone has been beaten into the ground recently. 

You mean like when she was caught sneaking around and generally out-snuck by freaking Little Finger? Who by the way did not possess the ability to hear blood drop. 

8 minutes ago, darmody said:

You mean like when she was caught sneaking around and generally out-snuck by freaking Little Finger? Who by the way did not possess the ability to hear blood drop. 

He didn’t ‘catch’ her... he intentionally made sure she saw him taking the scroll from a messenger... made sure she saw him take it to his room, and then watched from behind a pillar to make sure she went to investigate it... coz he wanted her to read it and turn against Sansa.... he tricked her, yes... but her sneaking wasn’t at fault. 

On 4/29/2019 at 12:54 PM, Kajjo said:

The wights were "turned off" by the Nightking. The NK ordered them to stand still.

Theon fought and fought against them and suddenly they no longer attacked him but built a ring. Then they opened up a passage to let the Nightking in. So it is no wonder and no plot hole that the wights did not attack Arya at all. 

The White Walkers however are self-controlled, intelligent beings who could have intercepted her. We don't know where she come from, but the NK grabs her, hold her and is ready to smash her when she does the dagger trick. So I guess the WW were sure the NK would sort it out himself. The WW didn't intercept Theon as well. The NK proved to be a formidable fighter and no one was unsure about him defeating Theon.

All the wights? No. They were still fighting other characters in the castle. Remember, Arya had to get from the hearth to the tree, and there could have been a thousand wights between. 

The White Walkers left it to the boss after he had her in his clutches, but they apparently didn't notice her before that. Do you honestly think they wouldn't have killed her had they saw her coming? And how did they not see her coming? There's literally no way, Faceless Man or not. (Not, actually, because she's an assassin school dropout.)

15 minutes ago, Figdoni said:

He didn’t ‘catch’ her... he intentionally made sure she saw him taking the scroll from a messenger... made sure she saw him take it to his room, and then watched from behind a pillar to make sure she went to investigate it... coz he wanted her to read it and turn against Sansa.... he tricked her, yes... but her sneaking wasn’t at fault. 

He saw her spying, as I recall, without her seeing him. That's how he lured her into finding the scroll. Then he did one of his creepy smirks.

Unless she allowed herself to be surveilled, I'd say she was bad at sneaking. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, Wik said:

I don't know, it's a popular idea but I have never felt that Cersei must or should be killed by Jaime. 

Honestly, just thinking about it, it makes more sense to me to have some plot Cersei hatches end up killing Jaimie (who was not a direct target but a result of the many casualties of said plot), and then have Arya kill her after she finds out that she has killed her beloved brother. 

I feel like Jaimie killing Cersei is meh...if it happens it depends on the context in which it happens. If it doesn't, I would miss a second of sleep or take a minute to question it. 

Why Arya? Aside from the fact that she kills everything. 

Popular sentiment is for Jaime to kill Cersei for many reasons, but for me it's because she's the Mad Queen. She partly pulls off what he slayed the king to prevent. Which means he should have killed her the moment he got back from the Riverlands, but as Tywin knew he's a slow learner. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:30 PM, Skills said:

Well Arya stole Jon's kill...so maybe Jon returns the favor and he's actually the one to finish Cersei.

I don't get why Cersei would be Arya's kill. Besides being on her list. But she barely killed anyone on her list.

On the other hand, those two characters have barely had any interaction on the show. I don't even remember if they exchanged any dialogue. 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:09 PM, King Tam Stark said:

The majority of posters stating it’s poor writing without any explanation why they think that is ironic, it’s easy to criticise!

You guys may be right but a faceless man doing the deed surely isn’t that unrealistic is it? Best killers in the world and all that...

Arya is not a Faceless Man. She didn't finish training. Or start training, really, beyond staff-fighting and wandering around blind. 

Anyway, I guess a Faceless Man could kill the Night King. But he wouldn't do it the way Arya did it. Unless he used some kind of magic. Instead, he'd perch on the castle wall and shoot a dragonglass blow-dart into him, or something. 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:28 PM, tallTale said:

Pay attention to what? That's weak foreshadowing for killing the damn NK.

It's manifestly not foreshadowing. It has nothing to do with the Night King. Melisandre simply sees that she's going to kill a lot of people.

12 hours ago, Figdoni said:

But security wasn't exactly tight at the Freys, nor Walder as smart as Cersei.
Turning up at Kings Landing with a random face wouldn't work

What is the population of King's Landing? They can't know everyone. All she needs is enough time to find someone with a reason to be in the castle, and it's face-stealin time. 

Better yet, kill Bronn and take his face when he shows up. 

for me...well...I want tormund to do it...cos..well. he has been kissed by fire and the mountain needs a kiss of fire...that's a strong story arc...hold on...what colour eyes does the  mountain have ...are they green...hmmm...what do we do here....years of build up....its got to be tormund....he was destined to do it....

the writers....

jons lack of involvement in the final battle has just killed it - a real damp squip. Arya is unstoppable.

Arya's arc is done. Remember when they had Sansa say 'When Jon sees you his heart will stop'. That seemed ominous.  I suspect Arya will now be part of Jon and the Hound's resolutions. Maybe Arya and the Hound do plan on taking out the Mountain and Cersei, they go in the Red Keep, something horrible happens like it blows up. Jon sees Arya's face and just loses it. Whether that face is a living face or dead face I don't know.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, Ser Gareth said:

Not sure what the problem is here.  She trained with the FM and became a top class assassin, who knows Winterfell backwards so wouldn't have an issue sneaking around the Godswood, especially as the undead were in a state of stasis at the NK's command.  We've seen her pull the dagger move before, sparring with Brienne, and it was a Valyrian steel dagger which we know can kill an Other.

Was it too sudden and cheesy?  Yes.  Unbelievable?  Well Arya can change faces, so not as unbelievable as most of the stuff she can do.

Are you seriously defending that ? Come on.

You telling me, with a straight face, that Arya can magically jump further than Michael Jordan ? That is not humanly possible, especially for a small girl. There was absolutely nothing close from where she could have jumped. The distance was at least 15-20 feet and nothing above or around them close enough to jump from.

People seriously overrate Arya's training for barely a year. We're talking about a small girl but somehow she can fight better than Bruce Lee, run faster than Usain Bolt and leap further in the air than Michael Jordan. Give me a break.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:11 PM, Erkan12 said:

Plot.

Arya killed one, now it's time for Jon I guess.

The Freys, Avenged the Red Wedding, killed LittleFinger, killed the Night King. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more.

Yeah, she killed 1. Totally.

Jon never killed someone major, not even Ramsay lol that was Sansa. Who does Jon get to kill ? Whoever it is, it's pointless since his arc is finished. Him killing Cersei would be so dumb, just like Arya killing the NK. Funny thing is, if Jon was never resurrected, Dany would have still had 3 dragons and she would have easily got the Iron Throne and the dead would still be beyond the wall. The way they handled Jons character, he failed at almost everything, would have lost BOTBs without Sansa, would have been dead Beyond the Wall and would have died at the Long Night if it weren't for Wolverine. For someone that has so much screen time, he might have been one of the most useless characters we've ever seen. It's so funny to me, how a supposed long time soldier with many battle experiences, can't even come up with a better battle plan than a 10 year old lmfao. Talk about realism.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:59 PM, hallam said:

To answer the original question, the reason Arya couldn't kill Cersei earlier is that she didn't know the layout of the Red Keep well enough. That is what Varys can provide. The A-Team will include Arya, the Hound and Varys. Possibly Jamie. Either in person or as a face. I suspect that Bron joins up as well on the basis that Cersei will likely kill him anyway.

She does know the lay-out to sneak in and sneak out: she overheard Varys and Illyrio and came out via the underground tunnels and walked around to get in via the gate, and it's how she escapes the keep when efverybody of her household is either taken prisoner or gets killed. She was confident enough last season that she could kill the queen.

Archived