I thought the Undead were OP (Spoilers)

Tyrion1991

I ve got mixed feelings about this.

Spoiler

Obviously it’s good for horror and it adds to the tension. It’s very well summed up when Lyanna gets killed by the Undead Giant. They very consciously went for that vibe instead of a Minas Tirith situation where the good guy are losing but holding their own.

They just cut straight through everything the good guys had. They roll over the Dothraki and Unsullied. They ignore the artillery, they ignore the walls and barricades. It became impossible to understand how any of the heroes were not immediately dying.

However this came across as nihilism. Game of Thrones worked because the heroes bore the consequences of their mistakes. No mistakes are really being made here, they are just put into an unfair fight. You’ve got World War Z zombies against a medieval army in a castle. If there’s magic powerful enough to control the weather then why is there nothing like that on team life? 

Also there was a lot more than a hundred thousand zombies in that battle. I felt the weakness to fire was severely downplayed and it felt kind of wrong to have all the armies not contribute towards the victory; instead becoming a massacre.

I mean really, I don’t even think Stormcast Eternals from Age of Sigmar could beat an army like that. It felt more like a massacre than a battle.

Archived