MIA White Walkers

shawnpmcd

2 hours ago, shawnpmcd said:

why’d the White Walkers let the Wights do 99.9% of the fighting and then just stand by as Arya charged their King?  What in the world we’re the NK’s generals doing during the battle?? 

I guess they had the same tactical whit as the living... I mean, sending out your light cavalerie to attach the AoTD first? Not such a smart move.
Trebuchets and catapults outside of the walls of Winterfell and nothing on the walls, dumb move.

I could go on I guess, but I won't.

Saving them for the end makes sense if you don't give a crap about your army like the Night King. But they better come through for you in the clutch. Which they didn't, because they didn't expect an air attack from a ninja with the powers of flight and invisibility. 

5 minutes ago, darmody said:

Saving them for the end makes sense if you don't give a crap about your army like the Night King. But they better come through for you in the clutch. Which they didn't, because they didn't expect an air attack from a ninja with the powers of flight and invisibility. 

Super Arya :rofl:

1 hour ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

I guess they had the same tactical whit as the living... I mean, sending out your light cavalerie to attach the AoTD first? Not such a smart move.
Trebuchets and catapults outside of the walls of Winterfell and nothing on the walls, dumb move.

I could go on I guess, but I won't.

I will add two: No trenches in front of your infantry, and no burning oil to pour over attackers.

The strategy of the White Walkers makes a lot more sense. Every time a living creature falls, it can be brought back as a wight, possibly at some cost to the White Walkers. And given that they can also bring the long dead back, it is unlikely that there is ever going to be a shortage of soldiers.

It does, however, not make much sense not to protect your single point of failure, even if he can withstand dragon fire.

5 minutes ago, Zumbs said:

I will add two: No trenches in front of your infantry, and no burning oil to pour over attackers.

The strategy of the White Walkers makes a lot more sense. Every time a living creature falls, it can be brought back as a wight, possibly at some cost to the White Walkers. And given that they can also bring the long dead back, it is unlikely that there is ever going to be a shortage of soldiers.

It does, however, not make much sense not to protect your single point of failure, even if he can withstand dragon fire.

They were planning to light the trenches if/when they retreated, though, right? Granted they obviously should have had better trenches. 

58 minutes ago, Snormund said:

They were planning to light the trenches if/when they retreated, though, right? Granted they obviously should have had better trenches. 

I believe he ment trenches in the sense of huge dug out holes in the ground with wooden spikes at the bottom.... So when the wights charged the first wave would be taken care of automatically then you could use the wall of wood that they called trecnhes as a retreat device. 

2 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

I believe he ment trenches in the sense of huge dug out holes in the ground with wooden spikes at the bottom.... So when the wights charged the first wave would be taken care of automatically then you could use the wall of wood that they called trecnhes as a retreat device. 

The wooden spikes would not really be needed. The important part is to break their charge so they cannot run full speed into the infantry line. This makes it a lot easier for the infantry to hold the line and support each other.

8 hours ago, shawnpmcd said:

why’d the White Walkers let the Wights do 99.9% of the fighting and then just stand by as Arya charged their King?

The Nightking ordered his wights to stand still and open the passage for him to go through. He sort of "turned them off". 

His White Walkers could have acted, but it all went down in seconds. As soon as she hit him with her dagger, the NK and all WW shattered to icy shards.

She comes running from somewhere, maybe jumping from the ramparts or walls down onto him. He catches her, then in slow motion she drops her dagger and stabs him. Seconds only. It's believable.

8 hours ago, shawnpmcd said:

What in the world we’re the NK’s generals doing during the battle??

The WW were partly keeping their asses save and partly controlling the wights each of them raised. I believe he hold them back to assist him from whereever.

Like in the case of Daenerys and Jorah; what would have made that whole scene truly greater than them killing wights, is if one of the White Walkers came to kill Daenerys and that's where Jorah died; taking a killing blow meant for her, and then the two finished off the WW. At least then, Jorah would have had a chance to use the damn Heartsbane for what it's good for.

Just another area of poor direction unfortunately. In the battle of end times when you've built up the threat for the full series, everyone should be in battle and they should have some story involvement. In the end they done a Bran and just watched from the sidelines but ended up being killed without so much as going for their weapons, they literally did nothing and might as well not have been there.

Either that or they spent all the budget on dragons and left enough for the White Walkers and Ghost to have a cameo.

Anyway, the battle would have made so much more sense and been so much more satisfying if the White Walkers had been involved, Jorah fights two of them, gets one kill before he other dies, Dany can kill the one that killed Jorah. Give Jaime/Brienne/Gendry a kill against one, let Jon kill the dragon and the WWs should have killed the B characters that had no real reason to survive - Davos, Grey Worm, Pod, Brienne, Sam etc. That would have made the battle all the more satisfying, seemed like the WW/AOTD had come closer to winning and been more a threat but were thwarted by our main heroes who survive by the yip of their tongues.

NK should have been wiping guys out left, right and centre then died in a huge one v one battle, hell have him have a massive fight and then have Arya spring from nowhere, it would have been better than the way it was done. I can think of about fifty scenarios that were better and made more sense tbf, they really came up with the worst way to do this whole episode.

Makes no sense why he needed to/felt the need to depower his walkers... he seemed capable of doing anything he wanted while being in control all through the show... he should have had them surround him while he stood over Bran giving him the sexy eyes to give him the time he needed for whatever he was doing...

"In chess, the pawns go first"

Clearly the WW's weren't needed in the battle, so the NK held them back.
The wights are expendable, and they evidently managed just fine. 
The WW's however, are less expendable, so why risk them in vain?

Would I've preferred to see some WW-action in the episode?
Yes, absolutely, but I also fully understand why he held them back.

13 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Have to agree, and as was mentioned before, that easily makes him the best battle commander on the field. Have real trouble processing Jonerys' (i.e. D&D's) tactics. Ok, they wanted to get rid of the Dothraki for plot purposes and there are budget and time limits, and the CGI of a bunch of torches in the night is very cheap, but c'mon Guys, this is an epic series. Yeah, you want to wrap it up and move on, we get it, but your legacy is going to be the two twats who bollocksed up an epic series and made it worse than any comic book adaptation - in an era where comic adaptations have generally been very good and intelligent btw.

31 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Well explained. This is it.

A WW dying would shatter all his wights. Why risk it? He won anyway, even without too much trouble.

His arrogance killed the NK.

48 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

That's why you make the battle play out so they have to come into it to swing the momentum of the battle. I get they wanted to make it seem one sided in favour of the AOTD but with good story telling you can swing momentum either way. Have the dragons wipe a good chunk of AOTD out and you start to see the human side beat the AOTD back a bit, the Unsullied are meant to be a fearless force of nature so them getting the upper hand with the help of witches, dragons and direwolves wouldn't be too unrealistic, even if its just a momentary victory in the battle. The NK was off battling on the dragon anyway so one of his lieutenants decides to send the WW's in and they carve the Unsullied a new one and the AOTD again plough forward again.

Gives the WWs more purpose, they can be taken out by the heroes after starching a few characters and then just when the humans think they are starting to turn the tide once more then NK raises all the dead from the battle and they are overwhelmed once more.

Small victories, large defeats, keep a couple of WW's back for NKs final scene with Bran, they didn't need like eight of them just to stand starring into space then die for it to be anymore effective.

34 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

Have to agree, and as was mentioned before, that easily makes him the best battle commander on the field. Have real trouble processing Jonerys' (i.e. D&D's) tactics. Ok, they wanted to get rid of the Dothraki for plot purposes and there are budget and time limits, and the CGI of a bunch of torches in the night is very cheap, but c'mon Guys, this is an epic series. Yeah, you want to wrap it up and move on, we get it, but your legacy is going to be the two twats who bollocksed up an epic series and made it worse than any comic book adaptation - in an era where comic adaptations have generally been very good and intelligent btw.

Going by comic book adaptions, I watched Endgame just days before and the pay off was so much better. Both were coming from a very similar story arc but one actually focused on their characters whereas the other went for special effects and cheap thrills. The one that focused on its characters was by far the better off the two and its not like Endgame didn't have plot holes and flaws to it either.

Archived