Arya and Gendry, why?

Targaryen Peas

So, in episode 2 if I remember correctly, Arya wanted to have sex with Gendry, "end of the world" as excuse. 

But I've been thinking about it, and wanted your opinions. 

I'm using a fact from the book (that we still don't know if true or not) 

Spoiler

In the last book, Euron claimed that he had a device from Valyria that could control dragons. That's how he secured Cersei's thighs (I guess). 

Assuming it is true. 

I can't see Danny nor Jon surviving the next battle. Since they are the one riding the big boys? 

Based on the fact above. 

If we take out of the pictures our dead Targaryen couple. It could answer the "out of the blue" Arya-Gendry scene.

The character with the strongest claim to the throne should be Gendry, and that could explain his new "relation" with Arya.

Losing Danny and Jon doesn't mean losing the war, as Arya could easily kill Cersei and thus giving the throne to Gendry. 

Also, GRRM spoke about a bitter sweet end. Having a Stark on the throne could be the sweet part.

What do you peope think ?

2 hours ago, Targaryen Peas said:

Arya wanted to have sex with Gendry, "end of the world" as excuse. 

Well, you have to clearly distinguish "in-character / in-show motives" and "storyline intentions by the author".

IN-CHARACTER

Arya stated the truth. She didn't want to miss out on sex before dying and this could have been very well her last night on Earth. So is attracted to Gendry both physically and due to their companionship when they together survived the Harrenhal and all.

This is believable and makes very much sense to me. This is the reason Arya wants to have sex. 

AUTHORS'S PERSPECTIVE

Of course, this might be a set-up for a more intense Arya-Gendry relationship and of course we all think about Robert Baratheon telling Eddard Stark in S1E1, "I have a son, you have a daughter, let's join our Houses". The circle might close with different children that the two fathers had thought of.

We have very many references to S1 in S8, so this theory make a lot of sense, too.

Already at their first encounter, it was obvious that Arya and Gendry was heading for a close relationship that could become romantic when she came of age. Or at least as close as Arya can. And if they marry (huge if), it would make it a lot easier for Gendry to take his fathers name as ruler of Storms End. Which is his likely ending, if they manage to defeat Cercei. They could also send him to the Stormlands to call whatever banners that are left.

2 hours ago, Zumbs said:

Already at their first encounter, it was obvious that Arya and Gendry was heading for a close relationship that could become romantic when she came of age. Or at least as close as Arya can. And if they marry (huge if), it would make it a lot easier for Gendry to take his fathers name as ruler of Storms End. Which is his likely ending, if they manage to defeat Cercei. They could also send him to the Stormlands to call whatever banners that are left.

Why should Dany legitimized Gendry? Wouldnt that make him a potential threat? 

1 minute ago, tallTale said:

What kind of threat would Gendry be? He's still a bastard.  Gendry would gladly bend the knee.

Robert's only living son is a huge threat of course. Gendry should stay as a bastard.

6 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Not necessarily. If anything, it might insure his loyalty. It would probably be played as an act of reconciliation between the two houses. 

Gendry wouldn't want to be King, anyways, but he might be okay being a lord. 

4 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Gendry wouldn't want to be King, anyways, but he might be okay being a lord. 

That's not enough for an assurance, people can change or other people can persuade him otherwise in the future.

After all, Robert didn't want to be the King, but Jon Arryn and Ned persuaded him otherwise.

Robert declared this claim as "by right of conquest" not "by right of Targaryen blood". Which was not surprising as there were two other, living Targaryens with a better claim. As is the case today.

So, Gendrys claim (if any) would not be due to his Targaryen blood, but due to his Baratheon blood. Legitimized or not, a certain Snow was not legitimized and still managed to be proclaimed king, so the lords of the Stormlands could declare Gendry their lord. I don't remember that we have heard much about the culture of the Stormlands, so I have no idea if it is a naive thought or if it is possible.

Naturally, it hinges on his ability to actually prove the identity of his sire.

I have not seen any foreboding other than the fact that Gendry is still in the show, so he must still have a role to play, unless being Aryas boytoy is role enough?

Edit:

29 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Daenerys has a small army and two dragons against 20.000 golden company, the Lannister army and whatever Euron can bring to the table. She is in dire need of allies. One such source of allies could be the Stormlands that have not been involved in the war for four years. Or is it five?

19 minutes ago, Zumbs said:

I have not seen any foreboding other than the fact that Gendry is still in the show, so he must still have a role to play, unless being Aryas boytoy is role enough?

I think he will just be Arya's boytoy and that's it. Just like now think Jon is just going to be Dany's boytoy and nothing else from this point on. I thought there was going to be some Jon and Gendry bonding but he has not interacted with any one but the Hound and Arya. 

There might still be time for Jon and Gendry to have a conversation, perhaps over the fact that one's father killed the other one's father. 

It occurred to me that on the logo for GOT, the Baratheon stag is still there. The 3 other sigils on the logo are for the Lannisters, the Targaryens and the Starks, who are all still in play. Now I'm sure the show doesn't want to change the logo, for branding reasons at the vary least, but the Baratheons were important players for a large part of the show. But perhaps this is an indication that House Baratheon will be resurrected, kind of coming full circle at the end of the series, with perhaps all 4 houses finally at peace. 

4 minutes ago, Skills said:

When did this show all of a sudden become the Arya power hour?

You haven't noticed before? Arya is our heroine since S1.

1 hour ago, Erkan12 said:

Robert's only living son is a huge threat of course. Gendry should stay as a bastard.

I don't think that "being bastard" does count for much anymore. Not for Jon Snow or Daenerys anyway.

1 hour ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

I have seen this assumption pop up before and it is silly. Why do you assume it is DANY doing the legitimizing? Jon already knows who Gendry is.

Gendry is not destined to be a lord. He will either be a King or he will be dead. I consider both options equally likely, but Lord of Storm’s End? Why? That is not the kind of conclusion this book has. This isn’t going to end with the old order restored in Westeros.

Archived